Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Yahoo's Brad Evans RB rankings

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
79 replies to this topic

#1 rotoking07

rotoking07

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:31 PM

I enjoy glancing over their rankings just to see how they compare to some of the others I see. One ranking of Brad's kind of jumps out at me this week. I understand going out on a limb sometimes, but this is crazy.

http://sports.yahoo....oll-08week15-rb

#2 mbchamp06

mbchamp06

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:42 PM

not gonna lie.. i actually agree with these rankings.. arizona is pretty stout at home with the run def. and minn has jackson back at QB.. Peterson will not run all over them and prob wont top 100 yards sunday.. maybe get in the endzone... a bit too much tho for a ranking of 20 for him.. i do like where he put Rhodes tho.. watch out.. big game in the making for him!!!!

#3 Beautiful Monster

Beautiful Monster

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,203 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 07:53 PM

20 seems to be a bit absurd. AP is bound to break a big one, and he is the most consistent back in football right now.

#4 Kirrawynne

Kirrawynne

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 179 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:14 PM

I saw that too... just adds to my dilemma of who to start at RB. /sighs

#5 Todo Dia

Todo Dia

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

read those rankings yesterday and could not believe what i saw... no way sould All Day ever be ranked below top five no matter the opposing team...

#6 Todo Dia

Todo Dia

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:17 PM

you can't bench peterson...

#7 rotoking07

rotoking07

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:20 PM

No it doesn't

#8 ozzie_97

ozzie_97

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:25 PM

not to mention portis at 23 against the bungles. I expect him and peterson to have big days. This guy is trying to get fired I guess

And I love this notion that Peterson and Berrian's numbers are going to suffer drastically now that Frerotte isn't at the helm. Really? I'd rather see Jackson back there to be honest. Everyone will point to Berrian's numbers the first two games, and well its just that, two games! Berrian had more than a run of two bad games with Frerotte so thats a moot point, and I could play QB and Peterson would still get his numbers.

Edited by ozzie_97, 12 December 2008 - 08:29 PM.

#9 theguru78

theguru78

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:44 PM

Here's the obnoxious-mongoose-faced-wildebeast-feces-reeking-excuse-for-a-fantasy-expert's justification for ranking the Purple Jesus at No. 20:

Lowdown: Unless locker room flasher Visanthe Shiancoe frightens off Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby by brandishing his Leif Ericson, Peterson will likely underwhelm in the desert. A variety of negative factors are working against the Purple Jesus this week. First, Arizona's Jekyll and Hyde defense has played extraordinarily well against brand-name backs at home this season. In six games, they've held rushers to just 3.5 yards per carry, 75.8 rushing yards per game and two touchdowns. Second, Tarvaris Jackson is slated to start in place of back-fractured Gus Frerotte. Although he was 8-of-10 for 105 yards and a touchdown last week in Detroit, Tarvicious he is not. On the year, Jackson has completed just 55.7 percent of his passes. Count on Peterson confronting several eight-man fronts. Third, All-Day has recently suffered from a severe case of fumblitis. Last week, he uncharacteristically coughed up the pigskin three times. Finally, he's playing in a region where water is a precious resource. Even for the Purple Jesus, finding water to walk on in an arid region is an impossible endeavor. It may seem ludicrous to entertain thoughts of benching Peterson, but if you're loaded at RB, demoting him might make more sense than you think. Fearless Forecast: 23 carries, 89 rushing yards, 1 reception, 5 receiving yards, 0 touchdowns

Post lambasting comments...now!

#10 rotoking07

rotoking07

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:55 PM

Here's the obnoxious-mongoose-faced-wildebeast-feces-reeking-excuse-for-a-fantasy-expert's justification for ranking the Purple Jesus at No. 20:

So do you visit this site often Brad, or do you have friends that tip you off to threads about you? Seriously though, 20th behind guys like McClain, Dunn, Stewart, Bush, LJ, etc? I buy the concerns, but that ranking isn't justified in my opinion.

#11 rotoking07

rotoking07

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,699 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:57 PM

Third, All-Day has recently suffered from a severe case of fumblitis. Last week, he uncharacteristically coughed up the pigskin three times.

And Yahoo only has him fumbling twice last week. The third fumble came after he was clearly down by contact and the call was reversed. Still, he does need to hold onto the damn ball.

#12 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 08:59 PM

I take it that Evans is simply trying to get others to temper expectations (89 yards isn't horrific, but you were probably asking for more). I would understand it if was against a good D, but the Arizona Cardinal's D is pretty worthless.

#13 theguru78

theguru78

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:27 PM

Here's the obnoxious-mongoose-faced-wildebeest-feces-reeking-excuse-for-a-fantasy-expert's justification for ranking the Purple Jesus at No. 20:

Lowdown: Unless locker room flasher Visanthe Shiancoe frightens off Darnell Dockett and Karlos Dansby by brandishing his Leif Ericson, Peterson will likely underwhelm in the desert. A variety of negative factors are working against the Purple Jesus this week. First, Arizona's Jekyll and Hyde defense has played extraordinarily well against brand-name backs at home this season. In six games, they've held rushers to just 3.5 yards per carry, 75.8 rushing yards per game and two touchdowns. Second, Tarvaris Jackson is slated to start in place of back-fractured Gus Frerotte. Although he was 8-of-10 for 105 yards and a touchdown last week in Detroit, Tarvicious he is not. On the year, Jackson has completed just 55.7 percent of his passes. Count on Peterson confronting several eight-man fronts. Third, All-Day has recently suffered from a severe case of fumblitis. Last week, he uncharacteristically coughed up the pigskin three times. Finally, he's playing in a region where water is a precious resource. Even for the Purple Jesus, finding water to walk on in an arid region is an impossible endeavor. It may seem ludicrous to entertain thoughts of benching Peterson, but if you're loaded at RB, demoting him might make more sense than you think. Fearless Forecast: 23 carries, 89 rushing yards, 1 reception, 5 receiving yards, 0 touchdowns

Post lambasting comments...now!

Honestly, I peruse these forums on a regular basis to gauge owner reactions to hot topics in fantasy. Rotoworld has built an excellent community for people to express their thoughts, tirades, platonic man-crushes, etc. Understanding how grassroot fanatics perceive specific player values is a very useful tool. It helps writers like me dissect common perspectives, whether misguided or not. Some posts are obtuse, but many are insightful.

As for the Peterson ranking, look, I'm just one guy with an opinion. For the reasons detailed above, I'm cool on his chances of posting standout numbers. Because many owners cling to the "always start your studs" axiom, negatively painting a beloved player like AP is naturally going to attract admonishments. People's passions for steady producers is unwavering. I get it.

But I'm someone who tries to attack conformity. I refuse to sheepishly follow the herd if there are certain elements that could work against a player, regardless of who it is (OK, Pierre Thomas might be the lone exception). Frankly, I felt there were 19 better backs this week than Peterson.

Will my forecast misfire horribly? Probably. The last time I designated Peterson a "lame," Week 11 at Tampa, people lambasted me for the pick. However, in the end, he missed my projection by a measly three yards. The fantasy gods likely won't be gracious the second time around.

Edited by theguru78, 12 December 2008 - 09:36 PM.

#14 Pigskin Mafia

Pigskin Mafia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:33 PM

well for one i hope he's wrong as i own him in one league and playing against a very tough opponent, but you can't fault him for looking at the facts. when i first saw who AP was up against this week i cringed. also i think tavaris jackson is the worst qb in the league bar none (i rank ferotte 2nd worst) i believe his prediction will be pretty dead on, but who is gonna bench AP? all we fellow owners can do is cross our fingers and drink plenty of beer come sunday. good luck to all AP owners this weekend.
p.s. don't be afraid to start leron mcclain vs. pitts this week either, i say he's good for 14-15 pts.

#15 Biggz

Biggz

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:38 PM

Honestly, I peruse these forums on a regular basis to gauge owner reactions to hot topics in fantasy. Rotoworld has built an excellent community for people to express their thoughts, tirades, platonic man-crushes, etc. Understanding how grassroot fanatics perceive specific player values is a very useful tool. It helps writers like me dissect common perspectives, whether misguided or not. Some posts are obtuse, but many are insightful.

As for the Peterson ranking, look, I'm just one guy with an opinion. For the reasons detailed above, I'm cool on his chances of posting standout numbers. Because many owners cling to the "always start your studs" axiom, negatively painting a beloved player like AP is naturally going to attract admonishments. People's passions for steady producers is unwavering. I get it.

But I'm someone who tries to attack conformity. I refuse to sheepishly follow the herd if there are certain elements that could work against a player, regardless of who it is (OK, Pierre Thomas might be the lone exception). Frankly, I felt there were 19 better backs this week than Peterson.

Will my forecast misfire horribly? Probably. The last time I designated Peterson a "lame," Week 11 at Tampa, people lambasted me for the pick. However, in the end, he missed my projection by a measly three yards.

Booom, now that's what I'm talking about right there - A man who goes out on a limb and tells it the way it is. Now I for one can say I do not agree (maybe self-denial) with this projection but I do agree with the fact that there is no such thing as a "MUST START" every single week. If that was the case many of the past Champions in leagues all across the globe would be sitting with nothing but "what-ifs" in their back pocket. However, that is not the case - You gotta take risks, and if you take those risks you have a good chance to get great return. It's simple economics-finance-fantasy-common-sense.... B)

But seriously, the way I look at it is simple - Apete is ranked #20 while Forte is ranked #2. ANyone who started Forte got less than what they expected last night and anyone who starts Apete and believes in the Evans phenomena will receive more than they expect because he's a straight beast. Its a gaurantee that Peterson scores - I know its not quantitative but think of it from straight logic....If a guy fumbles 3 times in the last game he's going to look to show up in a big way and no-one shows up in a "BIGG" way like Adrian Peterson. He currently has a floor of: 80Yds Rushing 20yds Receiving 1TD and a ceiling of 170Yds Rushing, 40Yds Receiving and 3TDs...Holla at cha boy - Start Apete with confidence...Who needs Brad Evans when ya got Biggz? xo..

2QB League - 6pt TD's for everyone.

Current Record: 1-2

QB: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles (Geno Smith)
RB: Shane Vereen, Fred Jackson (Montee Ball , Bobby Rainey, Pierre Thomas)
WR: Vincent Jackson, Golden Tate, M.Crabtree (J.Gordon, Marvin Jones, Jordan Matthews)
TE: Travis Kelce (Julius Thomas)

#16 Todo Dia

Todo Dia

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 908 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 09:56 PM

something i just noticed in the last three weeks rankings from brad evans... it is not so much that he hates peterson this week, it appears that he loves the cards defense that much....for example this week against the cards he ranks probably the number one overall pick in drafts next year at number 20...then last week he ranked steven jackson number 24 against the same cardinals(granted jackson has been off this year but he is still a monster when healthy and probably still a first round pick next year after the next three weeks he is about to have) then in week 13 he ranked a first round pick in brian westbrook at number 30 granted he was dealing with some things at the time but ended up throwing down a monster game.... the one thing in common with all these guys besides being first round talent is the opposing d they went up against...

#17 fatboyj711

fatboyj711

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

he's also the only who ranked pierre thomas in the top 10 so it goes both ways...

#18 mbchamp06

mbchamp06

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:07 PM

20 seems to be a bit absurd. AP is bound to break a big one, and he is the most consistent back in football right now.

i disagree... the most consistent back in football right now is deanglo williams......

#19 Biggz

Biggz

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,090 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:14 PM

i disagree... the most consistent back in football right now is deanglo williams......

Touche' - Williams has been straight beastin' the last little bit..

2QB League - 6pt TD's for everyone.

Current Record: 1-2

QB: Russell Wilson, Nick Foles (Geno Smith)
RB: Shane Vereen, Fred Jackson (Montee Ball , Bobby Rainey, Pierre Thomas)
WR: Vincent Jackson, Golden Tate, M.Crabtree (J.Gordon, Marvin Jones, Jordan Matthews)
TE: Travis Kelce (Julius Thomas)

#20 Pigskin Mafia

Pigskin Mafia

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 12 December 2008 - 10:23 PM

and i have to play against williams this week!!!!!
C'MON STEWART!