Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

CBSSports vs ESPN vs Yahoo vs. ?Fantasy baseball league stat & service sites - what do you prefer?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
128 replies to this topic

#41 Luckynines

Luckynines

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,894 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:37 AM

View PostKing Ding Aling, on Jan 7 2009, 08:30 AM, said:

I will gladly pay the increase for CBS. I prefer the live scoring, the message board and private messages. The deeper player pool and the fact my league can do auction values and contract lengths on the site. I don't know what they have for new features but IMO ESPN is inferior to CBS.

Couldn't agree more.  You pay for what you get, I love CBS.  Their get minor leaguers in the database pretty quick and even allow you to create them if you choose to do so.  I did ESPN baseball one yr and could not enjoy it.  CBS w/it's updates, stories, I love it, so much more enjoyable.  

Just as in a restaurant, it all depends on how much you want to spend, I prefer quality myself, especially for a season as long as baseball's is.
"God is living in New York, and he's a Mets fan."

-Tom Seaver

#42 goose102977

goose102977

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:00 PM

I have always been partial to CBS, not sure why, but I have never really found any major issues.

I am in an AL-only league, but we are allowed to keep players traded or signed into the NL.  Problem with CBS even if a player is still on a team in your league, if they are not technically in the AL-only player pool, they will not appear on projections, scoring totals, etc.  Anyone who is in a CBS league know if you can change that?
www.fantasyrundown.com

#43 wildo7

wildo7

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,081 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 07:14 PM

Yahoo! mock drafts up and running now in Draft Central tab. I don't know exactly when this started but I just noticed it.

#44 TKD

TKD

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:04 PM

I want to join or create a league that incorporates a farm system and was wondering if anyone knew a good site for that or if there are options in yahoo? Thanks for the reponses.

#45 goodlovin

goodlovin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:07 PM

View PostTKD, on Mar 19 2009, 02:04 PM, said:

I want to join or create a league that incorporates a farm system and was wondering if anyone knew a good site for that or if there are options in yahoo? Thanks for the reponses.

CBS has minor leagues you can keep on your roster for years.

#46 TKD

TKD

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 19 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

View Postgoodlovin, on Mar 19 2009, 02:07 PM, said:

CBS has minor leagues you can keep on your roster for years.

Thanks ill check it out

#47 rabbitstew

rabbitstew

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 05:05 AM

We were big fans of the old TQstats and moved to CBS when they crashed. Most of us havn't been happy with CBS since the move and as commish I've been exploring other alternatives but a lot couldn't handle some of our custom rules. Last year during the season someone here mentioned onroto.com and I checked it out and figured to give it a look for 09 since they were part of tqstats creative team. When the price of CBS went to $160 for no reason I decided to give onroto a chance since it was $99 and free till May. The biggest plus is customer support. They answered all my e-mails within 24hrs. The only contact CBS wants is for payment. Onroto may not be as pretty but it makes up for in being a clean user friendly site with CUSTOMER SUPPORT. I'm so happy we could leave CBS and their escalating price.
15 team 5x5 roto all players active.

C Ramon Hernandez
1B James Loney
2B Howie Kendrick
SS Jimmy Rollins
3B Adrian Beltre
3B Bill Hall
OF Alfonzo Soriano
OF Nick Markakis
OF Grady Sizemore
OF Jay Bruce
OF Kendry Morales
OF Carlos Guillen
P Roy Halladay
P Cole Hamels
P Francisco Liriano
P John Danks
P Kevin Slowey
P Clayton Kershaw
RP Brandon Morrow
RP Mike Gonzales

#48 Kingctb27

Kingctb27

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts

Posted 20 March 2009 - 11:15 AM

We use CBS commish for the auction.
I don't gamble on players, I invest.

#49 kwelch

kwelch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 923 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Here is a good breakdown of all the leagues mentioned and some not mentioned.  I hope it helps.
http://www.letsplay2...at_services.cfm

For me, I have tried Yahoo, ESPN, loved TQStats (but it is gone) and CBSSports.  I like everything about CBS, but wish for the money you pay they could offer some type of phone support.

11 Team; Points Keeper League; 10th Pick
C: E. Gattis
1B: P. Fielder (K)
2B: M. Carpenter (K)
3B: M. Cabrera (TRD)
SS: H. Ramirez (K)
MI: A. Cabrera
CI: E. Encarnacion (K)
OF: S. Choo, G. Stanton, K. Davis, J. Willingham, A. Ethier
UTL: V. Martinez, J. Donaldson (TRD)
P: H. Bailey, D. Fister, H. Ryu, A. Reed, A. Cashner, C. Janssen, D. Salazar, A.J. Burnett, J. Axford
BEN: K. Wong, G. Sizemore, J. Villar

Forum: A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

#50 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:25 AM

Do what we did...move over to ESPN.  It's free and the service is better.  Canizares is already there and has been for awhile!
Rotoworld Forums' Official Badass with 6 warning points.

Most of what I post is for giggles.  Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump.  It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#51 mikelong11

mikelong11

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 166 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 08:43 AM

View PostFUM, on Jun 12 2009, 04:25 AM, said:

Do what we did...move over to ESPN. It's free and the service is better. Canizares is already there and has been for awhile!

I agree. ESPN is a much better service. I am the commish of both a baseball and hockey keeper league, and we made the switch last year - and haven't looked back. Yahoo makes you pay for in game updates, while ESPN includes it for free. That's all the reason any commish would need to make the switch.
12 Team Mixed H2H Keeper League - 12 Keepers
R, HR, RBI, SB, OBP, W, ERA, K, WHIP, Sv

C Yadier Molina
1B Albert Pujols
2B Dustin Pedroia
3B Todd Frazier
SS Hanley Ramirez
IF Chase Headley
OF George Springer, Jay Bruce, Mike Morse, Michael Brantley
UTIL Yoenis Cespedes
Bench: Bill Butler
DL: Mark Trumbo

SP Zack Grienke, Michael Wacha, Scott Kazmir, Ian Kennedy, Trevor Bauer, Jesse Chavez, Dallas Keuchel, Bartolo Colon
RP Kenley Jansen, Joe Nathan
DL: Matt Cain, Michael Pineda

#52 Chambers84

Chambers84

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 458 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 11:40 AM

To hell with ESPN.
http://www.centsports.com/?opcode=68624

#53 JT!

JT!

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

View PostChambers84, on Jun 12 2009, 12:40 PM, said:

To hell with ESPN.

ESPN free fantasy is sooo much better than Yahoo.  Yahoo's eligibility is absurd (Sandoval gets C eligibility in the preseason?, I remember Marques Colston's rookie year he had Tight End eligibility?).  Also ESPN has free "stat tracker" while yahoo costs money ($ 10 just for that season?!).  ESPN is far superior in terms of running your own league.
--

#54 yryen

yryen

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 02:41 PM

My one complaint about ESPN (and this may be a dated concern, since it's been a couple of years since I have played there) is that they use the other definition for "holds" (which is not an official stat so there are 2 different definition for it). Personally, the one defined by STATS where the reliever HAVE TO GET AT LEAST ONE OUT is the way to go. However, I think ESPN uses (or used) the one where a reliever gets a hold just for not blowing the lead (such as getting in a game and walk one batter).

It's sort of a minor thing but for leagues that counts holds, the discrepancy in definition is rather annoying.
NBA.com Fantasy Basketball Hall of Famer (2007 Inductee)
http://www.nba.com/fantasy/features/hof.html

Look for my articles on http://fantasybasketballreport.com

#55 TommySox

TommySox

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 03:01 PM

View PostChambers84, on Jun 12 2009, 11:40 AM, said:

To hell with ESPN.

I agree.

ESPN.com charges you just to read some of their articles. Yahoo has never done that at least.

#56 Gary

Gary

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 05:59 PM

CBS > Any other fantasy site.
Pain is Temporary, Pride is Forever.

#57 a.k47

a.k47

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:18 PM

View PostJT!, on Jun 12 2009, 01:11 PM, said:

ESPN free fantasy is sooo much better than Yahoo.  Yahoo's eligibility is absurd (Sandoval gets C eligibility in the preseason?, I remember Marques Colston's rookie year he had Tight End eligibility?).  Also ESPN has free "stat tracker" while yahoo costs money ($ 10 just for that season?!).  ESPN is far superior in terms of running your own league.

in regards to sandovals eligibility, im pretty sure, that a player has to meet a certain requirement and than yahoo carries that players eligibility over from the previous season
2011 Baseball Dynasty yr4 (avg obp r hr rbi sb W L ERA WHIP K's SV )

c) VMart 1b) Konerko 2b) Kendrick 3b) Encarnacion ss) Gordon
of) Braun of) C. Gonzalez of) Kemp of) Quentin
mi) Zobrist ci) Butler ut) Revere ut) Kipnis
bn) Kendry Morales, Infante, Wieters, Revere, D. Brown, S. Drew, Carp, A. Jackson

sp) King Felix, Danks, Chacin, Pineda, Carrasco, Bumgarner, Vazquez, Streaming!
rp) Soria, C. Perez, Hanrahan, Salas, Litsch, Romo, Betancourt
* traded mccann & coghlan 4 brown, jennings and wieters
** traded jennings & lohse 4 chacin...whoops!
*** traded gee and bj upton 4 Konerko
**** traded Morneau 4 Bumgarner

#58 Golden Spikes

Golden Spikes

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 12 June 2009 - 06:20 PM

View Posta.k47, on Jun 12 2009, 07:18 PM, said:

in regards to sandovals eligibility, im pretty sure, that a player has to meet a certain requirement and than yahoo carries that players eligibility over from the previous season

this is correct and how every league should be.
5 man keeper 5x5 Roto 10 yrs running 3x Champ

C- Weiters   1B- Goldy (k)
2b- Hill SS- Hanley (k)
3B- Beltre (k)   CI- Encarnacion (k)
MI- Miller, Baez
OF- Cargo (k), Pence, Holliday
OF- Eaton, Soriano, KDavis

SP- Bumgarner, Cole, Wacha, Cashner
SP- Minor (dl), Yordanny, Archer, Ubaldo
RP- Holland, Roberston, Chapman (dl), Balfour
RP- Melancon, C.Martinez, Hoover

#59 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:00 AM

View Postyryen, on Jun 12 2009, 03:41 PM, said:

My one complaint about ESPN (and this may be a dated concern, since it's been a couple of years since I have played there) is that they use the other definition for "holds" (which is not an official stat so there are 2 different definition for it). Personally, the one defined by STATS where the reliever HAVE TO GET AT LEAST ONE OUT is the way to go. However, I think ESPN uses (or used) the one where a reliever gets a hold just for not blowing the lead (such as getting in a game and walk one batter).

It's sort of a minor thing but for leagues that counts holds, the discrepancy in definition is rather annoying.

yryen, I'm not sure when they fixed it but this year I had a reliever not record an out and leave the game with a 3 run lead and he did not get the hold.  I know you have to get at least 1 out to record a hold like you mentioned.

Most of what I post is for giggles.  Please do not take me seriously when I'm venting about a pitcher that just got bombed or a hitter in a 2 for 20 slump.  It's all for effect and trying to make all my fellow rotoheads chuckle, so don't be "that guy", yeah you know what I'm talking about.

#60 FUM

FUM

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,378 posts

Posted 13 June 2009 - 10:08 AM

View Postmikelong11, on Jun 12 2009, 09:43 AM, said:

I agree. ESPN is a much better service. I am the commish of both a baseball and hockey keeper league, and we made the switch last year - and haven't looked back. Yahoo makes you pay for in game updates, while ESPN includes it for free. That's all the reason any commish would need to make the switch.

Mike I had signed up everyone to Yahoo before I decided just to look at ESPN's service just for fun in.  Then I saw ESPN offered the same thing Yahoo was charging $130 for.  I couldn't believe we would get live stats and updated standings for FREE.  Then I saw they had a toll free support number and we were like DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.