Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Chris Davis

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Texans '09

Texans '09

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 08:38 PM

"Rangers.MLB.com's T.R. Sullivan reports any trade discussions the Texas Rangers have with the San Francisco Giants regarding pitching will begin with Rangers 3B Chris Davis. The Giants have told the Rangers they won't move SP Matt Cain or SP Tim Lincecum."

That was in his Yahoo! news and notes. Does anybody know what this is about or why the Rangers are trying to get rid of him?

#2 Snark

Snark

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:02 PM

It was worded a bit ambiguously. The Giants are in need of 3B and 1B help (though Pablo Sandoval looks like a possible corner man probably at 1st) and with the Zito contract on the books, are probably out of the running for Mark Teixeira. I am assuming the article meant to imply SF would insist on Chris Davis being part of what they would get in any deal for some of their pitching, rather than Texas insisting to deal him away in any package.
I put my pants on 3 legs at a time

#3 Texans '09

Texans '09

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 11:15 PM

It was worded a bit ambiguously. The Giants are in need of 3B and 1B help (though Pablo Sandoval looks like a possible corner man probably at 1st) and with the Zito contract on the books, are probably out of the running for Mark Teixeira. I am assuming the article meant to imply SF would insist on Chris Davis being part of what they would get in any deal for some of their pitching, rather than Texas insisting to deal him away in any package.

Alright, thanks for the info. I got worried when I saw that. Going from Texas to SF would kill his value and I wouldn't be keeping him if he was dealt.

#4 HoustonYankee

HoustonYankee

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:27 AM

Davis is somewhat expendable with the emergence of Ramirez, Salty, Teagarden, who hog up the C/1B slot. And I assume Blalock will still be playing 3rd. With that said, they could really use some pitching to complement their prospective offense. But Davis is no low level prospect, obviously. I can't see him getting dealt without pulling in a Lince or Cain... I'm thinking Sanchez at least.
Geez, I've really slowed down on the posts.

"Hey, Pedro, guess what man? I'm on the rooster!!"

#5 zissou

zissou

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:48 AM

Davis is somewhat expendable with the emergence of Ramirez, Salty, Teagarden, who hog up the C/1B slot. And I assume Blalock will still be playing 3rd. With that said, they could really use some pitching to complement their prospective offense. But Davis is no low level prospect, obviously. I can't see him getting dealt without pulling in a Lince or Cain... I'm thinking Sanchez at least.

Davis is only 22, managed to shoot up 3 levels of ball and have dominant stretches at the major league level. There is no chance he is traded for a marginal commodity like Sanchez and next to no chance he is traded at all. The kid has superstar written all over him.

The Rangers have a relatively low payroll and a lot of young cheap hitting talent. They should trade guys like Laird, Young, Blalock and maybe Salty and get some pitching prospects, overpay for a Sabathia/Sheets/Burnett, go hard for a sinkerballer like Lowe or Jason Jennings and take a chance on guys like Looper/Mussina/Oliver Perez.

They should not consider breaking up that young nucleus that could set records for offense.

#6 Tdavis20

Tdavis20

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:23 AM

Yeah also the only reason that was said was because in the rangers mailbag (where fans get to ask this writer for the rangers) asked if we would trade anyone for Tim Lincecum or Matt cain and the guy replied with Chris Davis being involved no matter what because he is from that area. But yeah theres almost no way the Rangers will trade Davis and he will probably be at 3rd base next year if they decide to keep Blalock (which they probably will even though they shouldnt). But they will almost def. be trading Laird and Catalanotto and maybe even Salty so Davis is defiantly in the Rangers plans for the future.
12 Team standard H2H yahoo league

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Kevin Martin
G- Mike Conley
PF- Chandler Parsons*
SF- Josh Smith
F- Paul Pierce
C- Omer Asik
C- Anderson Varejao
Util- Jameer Nelson
Util- Jason Thompson*
Bench- Jason Terry*, Ricky Rubio*, Nikola Vucevic*

*- Free Agent pickup

#7 IVSPORT

IVSPORT

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:55 PM

Yeah also the only reason that was said was because in the rangers mailbag (where fans get to ask this writer for the rangers) asked if we would trade anyone for Tim Lincecum or Matt cain and the guy replied with Chris Davis being involved no matter what because he is from that area. But yeah theres almost no way the Rangers will trade Davis and he will probably be at 3rd base next year if they decide to keep Blalock (which they probably will even though they shouldnt). But they will almost def. be trading Laird and Catalanotto and maybe even Salty so Davis is defiantly in the Rangers plans for the future.

No way the Giants trade Lincecum or Cain. Lincecum is just plain untouchable (I wouldn't trade him straight up for ANY player in MLB with Ryan Braun being the only player that would make me think about it) and Cain is not worth trading because his value is so low. The Giants know that Cain is better than what he's showing so why would they sell low on a potential ace. I would love a Chris Davis for Jonathan Sanchez deal but doubt it's possible.
10-Team Y! Basketball H2H Default Scoring
75-40-2 (Wire-to-Wire 1st Place)
PG: Jose Calderon
SG: Dwayne Wade
G: Mo Williams
SF: John Salmons
PF: Tim Duncan
F: Rasheed Wallace
C: Chris Bosh
C: Nene Hilario
UTIL (2): Andre Miller, Luke Ridnour
BN: Thaddeus Young, Udonis Haslem, Ramon Sessions

#8 New Order

New Order

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:01 PM

and Cain is not worth trading because his value is so low.

Sorry, I just spit coffee all over the monitor and keyboard...one sec.....

Cain's value is LOW? In Fantasy maybe...but in real life baseball? In Cain you have a 23-year old that never misses a start, K's almost 1 per 9 and would be a VERY valuable No. 2 anywhere it seems besides SF.

#9 Tdavis20

Tdavis20

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:05 PM

No way the Giants trade Lincecum or Cain. Lincecum is just plain untouchable (I wouldn't trade him straight up for ANY player in MLB with Ryan Braun being the only player that would make me think about it) and Cain is not worth trading because his value is so low. The Giants know that Cain is better than what he's showing so why would they sell low on a potential ace. I would love a Chris Davis for Jonathan Sanchez deal but doubt it's possible.

Yes I know they would both be almost untouchable but I meant that the guy that sent the email to the writer for the rangesr had said that the only way the rangers trade Davis is with a package for Lincecum or Cain both of which would be almost impossible to get. He went on to say that a package of like Elvis Andrus Chris Davis and a pitcher would have to be sent to San Fran to get talks going but again this was all speculation by the writer and we both know the Rangers wouldnt trade Davis and San Fran wouldnt trade Lincecum or Cain. Ill see if i can find the article

What do you think about the Rangers going after starting pitcher Matt Cain? He has dominating stuff but has always lacked run support. With the Rangers' offense backing him up, he would really help the club's pitching and possibly get 20 wins next season.
-- Cassity J., Longview, Texas

Cain is a good name to bring up, no doubt about it. The Giants do need offense. It's interesting that someone from Longview would ask that question because if you want the Giants to trade Cain, they will want Longview native Chris Davis, Elvus Andrus and more in return. You would not get Cain without including Davis in the deal.

Edited by Tdavis20, 17 September 2008 - 02:13 PM.

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Kevin Martin
G- Mike Conley
PF- Chandler Parsons*
SF- Josh Smith
F- Paul Pierce
C- Omer Asik
C- Anderson Varejao
Util- Jameer Nelson
Util- Jason Thompson*

*- Free Agent pickup

#10 ArbeeEye

ArbeeEye

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 323 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:01 PM

Davis is only 22, managed to shoot up 3 levels of ball and have dominant stretches at the major league level. There is no chance he is traded for a marginal commodity like Sanchez and next to no chance he is traded at all. The kid has superstar written all over him.

The Rangers have a relatively low payroll and a lot of young cheap hitting talent. They should trade guys like Laird, Young, Blalock and maybe Salty and get some pitching prospects, overpay for a Sabathia/Sheets/Burnett, go hard for a sinkerballer like Lowe or Jason Jennings and take a chance on guys like Looper/Mussina/Oliver Perez.

They should not consider breaking up that young nucleus that could set records for offense.

Oliver Perez has to be in the same category as Sabathia, Sheets and Burnett, not Looper and Mussina. He is 27, and will command a contract closer to what Sheets will get than what Looper or Mussina will get. If the Rangers end up getting Sabathia and Perez, they will have around 30 million per year tied up in those two pitchers.

#11 Tdavis20

Tdavis20

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,373 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:59 PM

Im pretty sure the rangers wont be signed a pitcher during the offseason. Yes they have the money but who is going to want to pitch in Arlington? CC would be a good fit since he is a lefty and Oliver Perez may be good but I dont seem them paying for Ben Sheets or Dempster. That and Tom hicks (the owner) does not like to give out a ton of money for pitchers apparently after Chan Ho Parks disasterous stint with the Rangers.

PG- Ty Lawson
SG- Kevin Martin
G- Mike Conley
PF- Chandler Parsons*
SF- Josh Smith
F- Paul Pierce
C- Omer Asik
C- Anderson Varejao
Util- Jameer Nelson
Util- Jason Thompson*

*- Free Agent pickup

#12 jd040

jd040

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,756 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:08 PM

Im pretty sure the rangers wont be signed a pitcher during the offseason. Yes they have the money but who is going to want to pitch in Arlington? CC would be a good fit since he is a lefty and Oliver Perez may be good but I dont seem them paying for Ben Sheets or Dempster. That and Tom hicks (the owner) does not like to give out a ton of money for pitchers apparently after Chan Ho Parks disasterous stint with the Rangers.

arlington's an awful place for pitchers, but i think it's a lot better when you're with the rangers and not against them

#13 New Order

New Order

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:41 PM

Oliver Perez has to be in the same category as Sabathia, Sheets and Burnett,

I'm really not trying to be rude....That said. If Oliver Perez gets a contract even remotely close to that of Sabathia, Sheets or Burnett from a team OTHER than the Mets, I will sh*t.

#14 glooper23

glooper23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Call me crazy, but I would trade Lincecum for Davis in a heartbeat. A corner outfielder who can destroy the ball is much more valuable than a short starter who tries to throw it 100mph.

That is, I'd take a guy who not only plays every day vs someone who plays every 5, but I trade high risk for low risk any day.
Non-Keeper 12-team Y! League
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, CS, BB, K, GIDP, TB, PO, A, E, OFA, DPT, IP, SV, OUT, H, BB, HBP, K, WP, HLD, ERA, WHIP, PICK, IRA, QS, BSV

C Victor Martinez
1B Derrek Lee
2B Chase Utley
3B Russell Branyan
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Ichiro Suzuki
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Ben Zobrist
UTL Clint Barmes
BN Raul Ibanez
BN Carlos Quentin

SP Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, AJ Burnett, Javier Vazquez, Mark Buehrle, Wandy Rodriguez
RP Francisco Rodriguez, Phil Hughes, Jose Valverde, Carlos Marmol

In first by 52.5 games

#15 zissou

zissou

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

Call me crazy, but I would trade Lincecum for Davis in a heartbeat. A corner outfielder who can destroy the ball is much more valuable than a short starter who tries to throw it 100mph.

That is, I'd take a guy who not only plays every day vs someone who plays every 5, but I trade high risk for low risk any day.

you're crazy

#16 TCQ

TCQ

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:25 AM

This guy is gonna be a fantasy superstar by the end of 2010. He's Ryan Howard Jr. I just hope TEX realizes it and bats him no worse than 6th next year.

#17 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,843 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 12:32 AM

IMO lincecum has already established himself, a cy young caliber player for multiple years to come. I want to see Davis hit 35 plus bombs in a full season before i would consider it.

#18 ozzie_97

ozzie_97

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 01:00 AM

IMO lincecum has already established himself, a cy young caliber player for multiple years to come. I want to see Davis hit 35 plus bombs in a full season before i would consider it.

IEO's Opinion. This should be of everyone's opinion. There is no denying that he is at the very least a top 10 pitcher right now in all of baseball and I would put him in the top 5. Haven't seen Davis play enough but he does seem legit, no way I would consider trading Lincecum for him however. Cain maybe.

#19 glooper23

glooper23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:47 PM

It amazes me how much you guys value pitchers compared to corner fielding, power hitters.

I predict Lincecum succumbs to serious injury within two years.

Edited by glooper23, 18 September 2008 - 07:47 PM.

Non-Keeper 12-team Y! League
R, H, HR, RBI, SB, CS, BB, K, GIDP, TB, PO, A, E, OFA, DPT, IP, SV, OUT, H, BB, HBP, K, WP, HLD, ERA, WHIP, PICK, IRA, QS, BSV

C Victor Martinez
1B Derrek Lee
2B Chase Utley
3B Russell Branyan
SS Jimmy Rollins
OF Ichiro Suzuki
OF Curtis Granderson
OF Ben Zobrist
UTL Clint Barmes
BN Raul Ibanez
BN Carlos Quentin

SP Roy Halladay, Felix Hernandez, AJ Burnett, Javier Vazquez, Mark Buehrle, Wandy Rodriguez
RP Francisco Rodriguez, Phil Hughes, Jose Valverde, Carlos Marmol

In first by 52.5 games

#20 markdash

markdash

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,345 posts

Posted 18 September 2008 - 07:51 PM

It amazes me how much you guys value pitchers compared to corner fielding, power hitters.

I predict Lincecum succumbs to serious injury within two years.

You're right, a guy who has an OPS of 860 in a half season should definitely be worth more than the NL Cy Young Award winner.
"Angels fly because they take themselves lightly."
-G.K. Chesterton

"Time is the best teacher, but unfortunately, it kills all its students."