Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Return Yardage League - Guys to TargetPost em if you got em!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:00 AM

I'm in a few PPR leagues where return yards have really helped me in the past whereas most people tend to completely ignore them.  My strategy last year was to capitalize on slot guys who are PPR machines who also get return yards, and it worked out fairly well for me, especially late in the draft.  I'm trying to make a list of guys who may pay huge dividends and I will certainly target later in the draft.  Does anyone have a list of the kick/punt returners on each team?  That would be super helpful as I'm not sure what's changed from last season.

Percy Harvin
Davone Bess
Darren Sproles
Jacoby Jones
Johnny Knox / Devin Hester (splitting punts/kicks i believe)
Josh Cribbs
Johnny Lee Higgins (maybe a larger role this year?)
Leon Washington (?)

#2 Sherlock

Sherlock

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,456 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

If I remember right, Holliday is supposed to challenge Jacoby Jones for KR duties this season, letting Jacoby focus on WR.

Dez Bryant maybe?
16 Team/ 9 Cat/ 4 UTIL/30 max moves

G: Conley | Teague | Collison | Korver | Hayward | Kendall
F: P. George | T. Jones | Millsap | Antetokounmpo | James Johnson
C: Splitter | Henson | Hill | Markeiff

#3 amcsoldier

amcsoldier

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:27 AM

View Postbdams19, on Jul 30 2010, 10:00 AM, said:

I'm in a few PPR leagues where return yards have really helped me in the past whereas most people tend to completely ignore them.  My strategy last year was to capitalize on slot guys who are PPR machines who also get return yards, and it worked out fairly well for me, especially late in the draft.  I'm trying to make a list of guys who may pay huge dividends and I will certainly target later in the draft.  Does anyone have a list of the kick/punt returners on each team?  That would be super helpful as I'm not sure what's changed from last season.

Percy Harvin
Davone Bess
Darren Sproles
Jacoby Jones
Johnny Knox / Devin Hester (splitting punts/kicks i believe)
Josh Cribbs
Johnny Lee Higgins (maybe a larger role this year?)
Leon Washington (?)

Experience has taught me that the KR/PR assignments don't really shake out until at least midway through preseason. This is a role that is always in flux. As we get closer to the start of the season, I'll be doing extensive research on the subject (for the same reason you've posted this thread - because I play in a KR/PR league and it can be a sneaky way to get an advantage). But right now, it'd be futile to hit the depth charts because all they'd show you is 2009 info. And while that can be useful, it's important to keep in mind, again, that this role changes all the time. Often, once a player proves his worth on the team, KR/PR duties are taken from him, out of fear of injury. So, guys like Harvin, Bess, and Cribbs might not see as much return action this year (just like Hester, who was a stud returner in 08, wasn't even a top 50 returner in 09). This is especially true for returners that play on offense.

You've captured a few of the bigger names, at least on the offensive side of the ball (which makes me assume you don't play in IDP leagues, because some of the best and sneakiest returners are DBs).  To your list I'd add Ginn, Fred Jackson, and Jamaal Charles. However, again, it wouldn't surprise me to see these guys dropped as returners - especially Charles.
14-Team 8-Keeper PPR IDP League

QB: P. Rivers
RB: A. Ellington
RB: R. Jennings
WR: V. Cruz
WR: M. Evans
TE: J. Graham
FLEX: Chris Johnson
LB: J. Freeman
LB: J. Collins
CB: J. McCourty
S: B. Church
DB: E. Weddle
DP: C. Lofton
Bench: J. Gordon (08/19! 7th Round Keeper), B. Tate, B. Hartline, R. Turbun. L. Murray, K. Benjamin

#4 amcsoldier

amcsoldier

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

And for the IDPers:

Lardarius Webb
Danieal Manning (though, I recall he lost duties about 3/4 through the season)
Ellis Hobbs (bigtime stud returner in 08)
Chris Carr
Josh Wilson (cleaned up for about half of last season til I think he got hurt)

Bench: J. Gordon (08/19! 7th Round Keeper), B. Tate, B. Hartline, R. Turbun. L. Murray, K. Benjamin

#5 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 09:38 AM

View Postamcsoldier, on Jul 30 2010, 10:27 AM, said:

You've captured a few of the bigger names, at least on the offensive side of the ball (which makes me assume you don't play in IDP leagues, because some of the best and sneakiest returners are DBs). To your list I'd add Ginn, Fred Jackson, and Jamaal Charles. However, again, it wouldn't surprise me to see these guys dropped as returners - especially Charles.

You're right; I don't play in IDP leagues.  I forgot to throw Ginn in there but I fully expect him to be there special teams guy seeing as he is the 4th option in that offense now behind Gore, Davis, and Crabtree but he doesn't have great hands and really doesn't seem to get many catches due to his role as a home run threat.

The buffalo situation is one I am keeping a close eye on.  I didn't list Spiller because I believe he is being overdrafted regardless of the additional yards he will get from K/PR, but he is so dynamic as a player I think it's going to be hard to keep him off the field.

#6 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:43 AM

Tom Zbikowski is someone to keep an eye on too. He can return punts and should be starting for Ed Reed for at least the first six games.

I won't draft Cribbs in any format. He does a lot of things, but still plays for the Browns and can't actually play a real position.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#7 seadoo617

seadoo617

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:07 PM

is everyone forgetting desean jackson?....or is he no longer returning punts?

#8 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 04:03 PM

Keep an eye on the GMen's returners as well.

Kenny Britt too. Not sure if he is returning again this year.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#9 urfrendlipiro

urfrendlipiro

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 09:42 AM

You hit some of the bigger names, but here are some that I'm targeting, including late rounders:

Percy Harvin (KR)
Deseason Jackson/Jeremy Maclin (Not sure who, but 1 will be the PR)
Darren Sproles (PR/KR)
Josh Cribbs
Dez Bryant (PR and maybe KR?)
Dexter McCluster
Golden Tate (Heard rumblings of KR and similar use to Percy Harvin last year)
Eddie Royal
Brandon Tate
Johnny Knox (He split time here last year... no idea if he'll do it this year)
Jordy Nelson
Danny Amendola/Mardy Gilyard (Amendola had a ton of return yards last year... could lose it to Gilyard though)
Jacoby Ford (Fully expect him to win both KR/PR for a Oakland team that will be returning alot of kick offs)
Armanti Edwards
Damien Williams (KR/PR)
Ted Ginn (Could lose returns to rookie LeRoy Vann)
CJ Spiller
Deji Karim

As you may notice... there are a LOT more WR's than RBs, so make sure you still get your stud RBs

#10 oplaid

oplaid

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 285 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:39 PM

Not sure he'd really be draftable, but Mardy Gilyard on the Rams should see some kick return duty and could be the slot receiver. Granted he's a rookie with a rookie QB on a bad team, but he's definitely someone to keep an eye on as a potential pickup.

#11 Doubleplusungood

Doubleplusungood

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:32 PM

How about Eddie Royal?  Good punt returner, and should get more looks at receiver this year with Marshall gone.

#12 ten1437

ten1437

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 647 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

View PostDoubleplusungood, on Aug 4 2010, 09:32 PM, said:

How about Eddie Royal?  Good punt returner, and should get more looks at receiver this year with Marshall gone.

Is he for sure the PR? If so, he will be big in leagues that count return yards.

#13 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:16 PM

Depth charts arent shaken up yet but that will be something to watch.  Also, did DJax not return any punts or kicks last year??? He has no stats on espn.com for return yards but im nearly positive he was on punt return duty.

#14 gatorade7

gatorade7

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:40 PM

a low ball sleeper would be Brandon James if he makes the Colts
14 Team League
(3-6)

QB C.Newton, M.Cassel
RB L.McCoy,R.Mendenhall,M.Bush
WR M.Austin,Dz.Bryant,Jul.Jones,P.Harvin
TE D.Keller (TEs score 2x WR yds)
K N.Novak
D Eagles
(position flexibity max RB=3 WR=4 TE=2)

12 Team League
(6-3)

QB T.Brady,T.Tebow
RB Chr.Johnson,M.Ingram,P.Thomas,M.Barber
WR S.Smith(Car),DzBryant,J.Maclin,E.Doucet,E.Sanders
TE J.Finley,K.Winslow,J.Gresham,J.Cook
K S.Gostowski
D Giants,Raiders
(weighted scoring TD heavy, position flexibility max RB=2, WR=4, TE=2)

#15 Bush25

Bush25

Superstar

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,235 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 02:51 PM

Like this topic. Definitely looking for Trindon Holliday of the Texans who I believe timed the fastest 40 in the draft this season, and has been a collegiate champion sprinter and phenomenal returner at LSU. He also tried out only at KR/PR in the draft this year, so he should be a special teams impact player.

The other guys I definitely like to make in immediate impact in the receiving game as well as returning are Damian Wiliams (USC) of the Titans and Golden Tate (ND) of the Seahawks. Tate should have no problem stepping in and could easily claim the #1 WR role as time passes during the season with Deion Branch/Deon Butler. I noticed Mike Williams... yeah that #1 draft pick bust by the Lions oh so long ago? He's also on the Seahawks roster. As for Williams (Damian), I believe he's currently listed 4th on the depth chart, but if he can find some time in the slot, it's possible he makes an impact every now and then.

As previously stated, the battle between Mardy Gilyard and Danny Amendola should be interesting. I actually like Gilyard to step into the PR duties, and maybe Amendola in the slot and KR. Only time will tell, but Gilyard is also a pretty good route runner with great hands for offense too.

Edited by Bush25, 06 August 2010 - 02:53 PM.

#16 bdams19

bdams19

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,026 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 10:21 AM

bump for relevance

#17 MrArmageddon

MrArmageddon

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,265 posts

Posted 11 August 2010 - 03:56 PM

Keep an eye on Shipley too.
12 Team Standard Scoring

QB Tom Brady
RB Adrian Peterson
RB Matt Forte
RB/WR/TE Julius Thomas
WR Jordy Nelson
WR Pierre Garcon
TE Jordan Cameron
D/ST Bills (Stream)
K Zuerlein (Stream)
BE Percy Harvin
BE Josh Gordon
BE Bernard Pierce
BE Andy Dalton

#18 amcsoldier

amcsoldier

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,535 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 09:01 AM

View PostBush25, on Aug 6 2010, 03:51 PM, said:

The other guys I definitely like to make in immediate impact in the receiving game as well as returning are Damian Wiliams (USC) of the Titans and Golden Tate (ND) of the Seahawks. Tate should have no problem stepping in and could easily claim the #1 WR role as time passes during the season with Deion Branch/Deon Butler.

Nice read, but we know that, as he becomes more involved and important in the offense, he will lose special team duties.

Still, if Tate starts off with KR/PR duties, he gets a big bump in leagues that reward that yardage. He could be like Percy Harvin last year, whose KR/PR bonus points made him a top-10 (and for much of the season, top-5) WR in my league (0.5 points per 10 return yards).

#19 Enoch

Enoch

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 869 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 02:07 PM

View PostMrArmageddon, on Jul 30 2010, 05:03 PM, said:

Keep an eye on the GMen's returners as well.
Most of the kickoff return reps in camp have gone to backup RBs:  Andre Brown and DJ Ware.  For punts, it's likely to be either CB Aaron Ross or one of the roster-fodder WRs like Tim Brown.  

Ross could end up being useful in return-yardage IDP leagues (he's in a battle with Terrell Thomas for a starting CB job, but even if he loses that he'll still see a lot of plays as the nickel guy).  I can't imagine that any of the other guys will be rosterable, unless the scoring system has a very high reward for return yardage or Jacobs, Bradshaw, and/or several Giants WRs end up hurt.

#20 bj03sm

bj03sm

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 12 August 2010 - 06:13 PM

How big of an impact does this make in a PPR league? Are we talking a couple of points a week or is this something that will be pretty big? For example I am in a league where you get 1 point for each 25 return yards and that applies to individual player and you defense/special teams.