Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Drew Pomeranz SP, COLIndians prospect, upcoming ace? July 30: Traded to Rox

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
16 replies to this topic

#1 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 11:41 AM

First round pick in last years draft, guy is absolutely dealing in High A ball.  Probably will get the nod up to AA soon.

http://web.minorleag...t...&pid=519141

Check out his stats.

I got one more minor league spot and I am deciding between him, Matt Harvey, Leonys Martin or Jared Cosart.

I really like all the reports I read on Pomeranz though.  

"First, the good news. Pomeranz is a 6-5, 235 pound lefty with a  terrific  arm. His performance this year has been excellent, with a 1.38  ERA and a  90/24 K/BB in 59 innings, with just 34 hits allowed. His  K/IP and H/IP  marks are outstanding, and are statistical confirmation  of the stuff  that scouts see: a 90-94 MPH fastball with movement and an  unusually  good breaking ball. His command can wobble on occasion, but  his stuff is  so good that even patient college hitters have trouble  against him. The  bad news…um, well, there really isn't any, other than  the  aforementioned occasional command issue. He could use a better  changeup,  but again that's a relatively minor concern considering his  overall  package. I expect he'll go either to the Pirates at Number Two  or the Orioles at Number three."

Edited by Cmilne23, 09 June 2011 - 11:42 AM.

#2 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,238 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:19 PM

View PostCmilne23, on Jun 9 2011, 12:41 PM, said:

First round pick in last years draft, guy is absolutely dealing in High A ball. Probably will get the nod up to AA soon.

http://web.minorleag...t...&pid=519141

Check out his stats.

I got one more minor league spot and I am deciding between him, Matt Harvey, Leonys Martin or Jared Cosart.

I really like all the reports I read on Pomeranz though.

"First, the good news. Pomeranz is a 6-5, 235 pound lefty with a terrific arm. His performance this year has been excellent, with a 1.38 ERA and a 90/24 K/BB in 59 innings, with just 34 hits allowed. His K/IP and H/IP marks are outstanding, and are statistical confirmation of the stuff that scouts see: a 90-94 MPH fastball with movement and an unusually good breaking ball. His command can wobble on occasion, but his stuff is so good that even patient college hitters have trouble against him. The bad news…um, well, there really isn't any, other than the aforementioned occasional command issue. He could use a better changeup, but again that's a relatively minor concern considering his overall package. I expect he'll go either to the Pirates at Number Two or the Orioles at Number three."

Where did you get that quote from?  I find it interesting that someone had him higher than James Taillon or Manny Machado on their board last year.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#3 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,920 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 12:24 PM

View PostPepperPot, on Jun 9 2011, 10:19 AM, said:

Where did you get that quote from?  I find it interesting that someone had him higher than James Taillon or Manny Machado on their board last year.

http://orioles-natio...couting-report/

Just was googling scouting reports on him and just picked that one.

#4 wayzupusc

wayzupusc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 09 June 2011 - 01:05 PM

I saw this guy pitch back when he was at Ole Miss.  I went to South Carolina so I follow SEC baseball and he's real close to David Price in terms of being able to take over a game and rack up strikeouts...maybe not as the same rate as Price but Pomeranz is as close as I've seen so ceiling is pretty high IMO.  What he's doing in A ball so far is about what he did at Ole Miss....the Gamecocks got to him one time but we had a badass team that year and hit everyone.  He was well over 12 K's per 9 that year.

http://www.indianspr...k-lhp-drew.html
C:  Evan Gattis
1B:  Adrian Gonzalez
2B:  Matt Carpenter
SS:  Javier Baez
3B:  Kyle Seager
RF:  Starling Marte
CF:  Carlos Gomez
LF:  Hunter Pence
U:   Kole Calhoun

Bench:  Jason Castro, Jake Lamb, Dustin Ackley, Erick Aybar

SP (5):  Adam Wainwright, Johnny Cueto, Jesse Hahn, Lance Lynn, Rubby DeLa Rosa
RP (3):  Joe Kelly, Steve Cishek, Jake McGee
Bench:  Michael Wacha (DL), Jose Fernandez (DL), Yovanni Gallardo, Jimmy Nelson

Minors:  A. Guerrero, M. Choice, C. Seagar, K. Parker, J. Taillon (DL), J. Biddle, H. Owens, AJ Cole
Setup:  16 team, 28 player+8 minors, up to 5 year contracts, weekly lineup H2H

#5 scoh123

scoh123

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

Promoted to AA after tearing up single A. Top 5 pitching prospect heading into next season, maybe #1? Could reach the majors next year and he's not blocked in Cleveland.
AL keeper 12 team 5x5 w/OBP cap

C-Mauer $22
C Gomes $3
1B Encarnacion $25
2B-Cano $24
SS-A.Escobar $10
3B- Longoria $33
MI- Villar $3
CI- Moss $20
Of-Markakis $21, Mastrioanni $1, Jones $28, Gardner $20, R.Davis $11
DH-Rasmus $6
Pitchers: Kuroda $21, Sanchez $17, Pettitte $13, Norris $6, Duffy $2, Kazmir $1, Frieri $21, Benoit $5, Jannsen $11

#6 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 04:13 PM

View Postscoh123, on Jul 12 2011, 03:51 PM, said:

Promoted to AA after tearing up single A. Top 5 pitching prospect heading into next season, maybe #1? Could reach the majors next year and he's not blocked in Cleveland.

He is certainly not going to be #1 and I wouldn't put him in the top 5. I think he comes in around the 8-10 range amongst starting pitcher prospects right now. That being said I do think he has a pretty high floor but don't believe he has the elite ceiling.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty (OBP/QS)

C- Brian McCann, Evan Gattis
1B- Eric Hosmer (DL), Miguel Cabrera (3B)
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Alcides Escobar
3B- Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo (DL), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman,Kevin Gausman, Homer Bailey (DL), James Paxton, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen,

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#7 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,182 posts

Posted 20 July 2011 - 10:58 PM

Figured it was worth mentioning that he was promoted to AA. I'm thinking his ETA is 2012.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#8 gnk2727

gnk2727

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 30 July 2011 - 11:36 PM

How do we like his prospects in Colorado versus Cleveland now that he's going to be pitching in the PCL and eventually in Coors?

#9 BIG SKI

BIG SKI

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:23 AM

View Postgnk2727, on Jul 30 2011, 11:36 PM, said:

How do we like his prospects in Colorado versus Cleveland now that he's going to be pitching in the PCL and eventually in Coors?

Who's to say he pitches in the PCL. He may skip there like Nicasio did.

Double edge sword with the trade, not good going to Coors but anytime you get to face a pitcher 3 times a game that should help.
16 Team ($150 draft with $200 cap and $15 per transaction) Roto Auction Combined 5 x 4 (OB% not AVG and no pitching K's) No bench just minors which also cost $5 a year, and we pick 5 a year(23 man roster) Weekly transactions

C:$6(16)Santana,cle/$4 Ruiz,phi
1B/3B/CI:$7 LaRoche,was/$3(15) Frazier,cin/$18 Sandoval,sf
2B/SS/MI:$2(14) Roberts,nyy/ $1 Villar,hou/$8 Utley,phi
OF:$7(15) Davis,mil/$10(14) Crawford,lad/$6(14) E.Young,nym/$25 Bautista,tor/$10 Beltran,nyy
OF/UT:$1 Nava,bos
P:$1 Fernandez,mia/$8(16) Cingrani,cin/$8(16) Salazar,cle/$6(14) Jimenez,balt/$1 Hutchinson,tor/$1 Anderson,col/$1 Santos,tor/$2 Marshall,cin/$14 Papelbon,phi
MINORS:
C:d'Arnuad,nym
1B: 3B: Skole,was
2B:LaStella,atl/Betts,bos/Leyba,det SS:Lindor,cle/Hanson,pit/A.Rosario,nym/C.Herrera,col/Quinn,phi
OF:Perez,was/Tapia,col/Alford,tor/Boyd,oak/Guerrero,sea/Beras,tex/Davis,tor/Polanco,pit/Hernadez,kc/Molina,nyy/Castillo,cuba
P:Walker,sea/Giolito,was/Butler,col/Ventura,kc

#10 footballpimp

footballpimp

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,503 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 03:56 PM

First start of the year in the PCL-5.2IP, 4H, 0ER, 1BB, 8K

I think this kid could make a big comeback if he can command his stuff a little better. He'll be on my radar
12 Team Keeper(4*)

QB-Cam Newton
WR-Greg Jennings*
WR-Dez Bryant
RB-Darren McFadden*
RB-DeMarco Murray
TE- Dallas Clark*
W/R-Steve Smith
BN-Big Ben, Mario Manningham, C.J Spiller, Devery Henderson, Roy Helu,Demaryius Thomas
IR-Charles*, Hightower

#11 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,182 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 05:32 PM

Meh, never draft a Rockies pitcher.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 12 April 2013 - 05:32 PM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#12 BMcP

BMcP

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,566 posts

Posted 19 April 2013 - 10:27 PM

Possible call-up due to Chacin injury?
Opta ardua pennis astra sequi.

#13 LILBONEST

LILBONEST

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:30 PM

anybody close to the affiliate have anything to offer on his performances thus far......

#14 cornerback

cornerback

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

Posted 16 May 2013 - 05:37 PM

i m not close. actually i m from germany...but francis DL´d today. maybe he is coming up. i would like to see how he performs....

#15 cavalier

cavalier

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:12 AM

He has something like a 3.5 ERA 1.18 WHIP and 44:15 K:BB thorugh seven starts so far. Coaches are saying he's developed his changeup which is paying off big against right handed hitters. They say he's ready, so a call-up could be a possibility with Francis to the DL.
16 Team H2H Dynasty [Year 6] [1B/3B,2B/SS,2 UT,4 OF] [R,HR,TB,RBI,SB,AVG,OPS] [K,QS,W,SV,HD,ERA,WHIP]
C-   Jon Lucroy
1B- Prince Fielder (DL)
2B- Jason Kipnis
3B- Will Middlebrooks (DL)
SS- Evereth Cabrera
2B/SS- Jean Segura
1B/3B- Casey McGehee
OF- Mike Trout
OF- Alex Rios
OF- Khris Davis
OF- Melky Cabrera
UT- Ben Revere
UT- Marcell Ozuna
BN- Juan Francisco, Derek Norris, Darin Ruf, Chris Colabello
Minors- Grant Green (AAA), Mookie Betts (AAA)
SP- James Shields, Zack Greinke, Matt Moore (DL), Kris Medlen (DL), Hiroki Kuroda, Jon Niese, Yordano Ventura, Brandon Workman, Jake Odorizzi, Danny Salazar, Tsuyoshi Wada, Miguel Gonzalez
RP- Sean Doolittle, Santiago Casilla, Ryan Cook Carlos Carrasco
Minors- Nick Kingham (AAA), Drew Pomeranz (AAA), Rafael Montero (AAA)

#16 Vestrogen

Vestrogen

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 May 2013 - 02:27 AM

Pomeranz is a guy I am definitely watching. He's been doing great in AAA this season with numbers to the tune of 3.18/1.19 and a 10.0 K/9 through 39.2 innings. He is also 5-0 which I think is worth noting. At 24 he could do big things this season if he sticks around, but so far he has been pretty awful in the majors (5.01/1.45 and 7.5 K/9 career). His numbers from AAA in 2012 are interesting to say the least, 2.51/1.54 and 8.9 K/9. The 1.54 WHIP sticks out like a sore thumb to me, so I'd say he was very lucky to keep his ERA under 3.00. He then put up a 1.48 WHIP in the majors over 96.2 innings that season. So, the high WHIP carried over and the low ERA didn't, but this season with his drastically improved WHIP I'd say he's someone to keep your eye on. Even if that WHIP inflates to 1.25 I'd say he still could put up a sub 4.00 ERA which would make him worth owning in deep leagues and especially dynasty/keeper leagues.

#17 wayzupusc

wayzupusc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 194 posts

Posted 04 June 2013 - 03:45 PM

This guy has been getting rocked lately....bad.  I wonder if there's anything physically wrong or if he's lost confidence due to how COL mis-managed their entire staff last year.  Looking at Pomeranz's starts, it's almost like he's got a mental block at getting past the 5th or 6th inning.

At least the K's are still there.....anyone have any real insight other than amateur box score tea leaf readings?
C:  Evan Gattis
1B:  Adrian Gonzalez
2B:  Matt Carpenter
SS:  Javier Baez
3B:  Kyle Seager
RF:  Starling Marte
CF:  Carlos Gomez
LF:  Hunter Pence
U:   Kole Calhoun

Bench:  Jason Castro, Jake Lamb, Dustin Ackley, Erick Aybar

SP (5):  Adam Wainwright, Johnny Cueto, Jesse Hahn, Lance Lynn, Rubby DeLa Rosa
RP (3):  Joe Kelly, Steve Cishek, Jake McGee
Bench:  Michael Wacha (DL), Jose Fernandez (DL), Yovanni Gallardo, Jimmy Nelson

Minors:  A. Guerrero, M. Choice, C. Seagar, K. Parker, J. Taillon (DL), J. Biddle, H. Owens, AJ Cole
Setup:  16 team, 28 player+8 minors, up to 5 year contracts, weekly lineup H2H