Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Nolan Arenado 3B COL2011 Futures Game underrated prospect

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
254 replies to this topic

#1 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:01 PM

Felt this guy is starting to become thread worthy.

Arenado has just been crushing the ball of late in High-A ball. For the season he is at .310/.355/.493 but he has been sizzling over the last five weeks. Posting a .358/.394/.526 line in June, the real ridiculous part though is his (small sample size) July .435/.480/.913(!). Also has shown great contact ability only striking out 30 times in 306 AB so far this season. He doesn't run much but he could find him self in the cozy middle of Colorado's lineup in 2013.

For a kid who cracked 41 doubles and 12 HR last year and is already at 21 doubles and 11 HR this year it looks like more power is coming and the BA has stayed at almost exactly the same spot as well.

Starting a 3b for team US in the futures game is it a stretch to think with Moose-tacos and Chisenhall called up that he could be the #1 or #2 third base prospect in the game heading into next year?
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty (OBP/QS)

C- Brian McCann, Evan Gattis
1B- Eric Hosmer (DL), Miguel Cabrera (3B)
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Alcides Escobar
3B- Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo (DL), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman,Kevin Gausman, Homer Bailey (DL), James Paxton, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen,

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#2 BIG SKI

BIG SKI

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

Whoa you forgot about Anthony Rendon and the 2 kids for San Diego(Darnell and Gyorko). It is good to see him walk more than last year though
16 Team ($150 draft with $200 cap and $15 per transaction) Roto Auction Combined 5 x 4 (OB% not AVG and no pitching K's) No bench just minors which also cost $5 a year, and we pick 5 a year(23 man roster) Weekly transactions

C:$6(16)Santana,cle/$4 Ruiz,phi
1B/3B/CI:$7 LaRoche,was/$3(15) Frazier,cin/$18 Sandoval,sf
2B/SS/MI:$2(14) Roberts,nyy/ $1 Villar,hou/$8 Utley,phi
OF:$7(15) Davis,mil/$10(14) Crawford,lad/$6(14) E.Young,nym/$25 Bautista,tor/$10 Beltran,nyy
OF/UT:$1 Nava,bos
P:$1 Fernandez,mia/$8(16) Cingrani,cin/$8(16) Salazar,cle/$6(14) Jimenez,balt/$1 Hutchinson,tor/$1 Anderson,col/$1 Santos,tor/$2 Marshall,cin/$14 Papelbon,phi
MINORS:
C:d'Arnuad,nym
1B: 3B: Skole,was
2B:LaStella,atl/Betts,bos/Leyba,det SS:Lindor,cle/Hanson,pit/A.Rosario,nym/C.Herrera,col/Quinn,phi
OF:Perez,was/Tapia,col/Alford,tor/Boyd,oak/Guerrero,sea/Beras,tex/Davis,tor/Polanco,pit/Hernadez,kc/Molina,nyy/Castillo,cuba
P:Walker,sea/Giolito,was/Butler,col/Ventura,kc

#3 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:52 PM

Didn't forget about Rendon. I think besides Rendon it would be tough to put anyone else at the position ahead of him.

Darnell has been great this year but is also 4 years older than Arenado, Gyorko is 3 years older. While they have put up more convincing power numbers keep it in perspective of the leagues and the age difference. Its more impressive to me to see a 20 year old crushing High-A than a 23 year old crushing in AA.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty (OBP/QS)

C- Brian McCann, Evan Gattis
1B- Eric Hosmer (DL), Miguel Cabrera (3B)
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Alcides Escobar
3B- Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo (DL), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman,Kevin Gausman, Homer Bailey (DL), James Paxton, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen,

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#4 BIG SKI

BIG SKI

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:01 PM

The age thing is hard to decide in rankings, but i think the other 2 are a year away from the majors and Arenado is 3 away so that makes up the differance in my book.
16 Team ($150 draft with $200 cap and $15 per transaction) Roto Auction Combined 5 x 4 (OB% not AVG and no pitching K's) No bench just minors which also cost $5 a year, and we pick 5 a year(23 man roster) Weekly transactions

C:$6(16)Santana,cle/$4 Ruiz,phi
1B/3B/CI:$7 LaRoche,was/$3(15) Frazier,cin/$18 Sandoval,sf
2B/SS/MI:$2(14) Roberts,nyy/ $1 Villar,hou/$8 Utley,phi
OF:$7(15) Davis,mil/$10(14) Crawford,lad/$6(14) E.Young,nym/$25 Bautista,tor/$10 Beltran,nyy
OF/UT:$1 Nava,bos
P:$1 Fernandez,mia/$8(16) Cingrani,cin/$8(16) Salazar,cle/$6(14) Jimenez,balt/$1 Hutchinson,tor/$1 Anderson,col/$1 Santos,tor/$2 Marshall,cin/$14 Papelbon,phi
MINORS:
C:d'Arnuad,nym
1B: 3B: Skole,was
2B:LaStella,atl/Betts,bos/Leyba,det SS:Lindor,cle/Hanson,pit/A.Rosario,nym/C.Herrera,col/Quinn,phi
OF:Perez,was/Tapia,col/Alford,tor/Boyd,oak/Guerrero,sea/Beras,tex/Davis,tor/Polanco,pit/Hernadez,kc/Molina,nyy/Castillo,cuba
P:Walker,sea/Giolito,was/Butler,col/Ventura,kc

#5 cizastro

cizastro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 05:56 PM

I added this kid via our MILB draft last offseason and have been very pleased with his progress so far.  I should pony up some cash and go watch him play live.  He plays about 20 miles away from where I live, but I haven't had a chance to see him yet.  

I think he has a good chance at being a vital part of the Rockies future offense if he continues to grow as he's done so far.  

I'm a fan.

#6 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:39 PM

View PostBIG SKI, on Jul 6 2011, 10:01 PM, said:

The age thing is hard to decide in rankings, but i think the other 2 are a year away from the majors and Arenado is 3 away so that makes up the differance in my book.

3 years is a little too long of a prediction. I first heard about this guy listening to the rockies radio station and them listing him as a possible Ian Stewart replacement at the end of this year if Stewart failed again (which he has). The days of young guys playing a year at each level are through if he starts off in AA next year he could be called up in the second half next year.

#7 d_wag

d_wag

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,621 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 07:56 PM

arenado has been a stud this year.........has always shown developing power but really popping it out of the park in june/july to go with his excellent plate discipline.........on top of that he's drastically improved his D which means his home is at 3B, for now and for the future..........big potential here, get involved if you haven't already

#8 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 10:59 AM

Quietly leading all minor leaguers with 108 rbi.

Edit: Actually leading all of professional baseball in the category! B)

Edited by Halo Fan, 20 August 2011 - 11:04 AM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:42 AM

Another Arenado fun fact...He has more extra base hits than strikeouts.

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#10 DropkickAlex

DropkickAlex

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 04:28 PM

The 2nd stat is way more important than the first. RBIs aren't to important really but the lack of strikeouts is awesome.
Brooklyn Dodgers: Buffalo Baseball League: Dynasty League: 7th Year:
World Series Champion (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
American League Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Division Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)

#11 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 20 August 2011 - 11:29 PM

View PostDropkickAlex, on Aug 20 2011, 02:28 PM, said:

The 2nd stat is way more important than the first. RBIs aren't to important really but the lack of strikeouts is awesome.

I agree, but there's something to be said for a guy who gets it done when it counts...when guys are on base.  Especially when your team is made up of Weeks, Stanton, Bruce, etc. who all seem to hit solo HRs 9 times out of 10.

#12 AngryBeavers

AngryBeavers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:06 PM

Rockies prospect third baseman Nolan Arenado has been named the MVP of the Arizona Fall League.Top-notch prospects like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout also participated in the Arizona Fall League, but Arenado stole the show. The 20-year-old is batting .404/.434/.658 with six homers, 33 RBI, 11 doubles and a 1.092 OPS over 114 at-bats with the Salt River Rafters. He's still likely a year or so away from the big leagues, but his stock is on the rise.

SO HAPPY to have this guy stashed away in two different leagues.......

#13 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 17 November 2011 - 01:01 AM

View PostAngryBeavers, on Nov 16 2011, 01:06 PM, said:

Rockies prospect third baseman Nolan Arenado has been named the MVP of the Arizona Fall League.Top-notch prospects like Bryce Harper and Mike Trout also participated in the Arizona Fall League, but Arenado stole the show. The 20-year-old is batting .404/.434/.658 with six homers, 33 RBI, 11 doubles and a 1.092 OPS over 114 at-bats with the Salt River Rafters. He's still likely a year or so away from the big leagues, but his stock is on the rise.

SO HAPPY to have this guy stashed away in two different leagues.......

Me too!

#14 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:20 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on Nov 16 2011, 11:01 PM, said:

Me too!

And the beat goes on...Nice exclamation point to his AFL season!

RW Blurb:
Nolan Arenado, already named the circuit's MVP, homered Saturday to lead Salt River over Surprise in the Arizona Fall League championship game.
Adam Eaton and David Nick each had two hits and Tim Wheeler knocked in two in Salt River's 9-3 victory. Diamondbacks prospect Charles Brewer was the winning pitcher, while the Marlins' Alex Sanabia took the loss. Arenado hit .388/.423/.636 with six homers in 121 at-bats during the AFL season. The 20-year-old is likely to open next season in Double-A, but if he can build on this, he may finish it as the Rockies' third baseman. Nov. 19 - 6:14 pm et

#15 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:43 PM

So Kouz should be headed elsewhere.  Wiggy is gone.  Jordan Pacheco, Brandon Wood, and last year's biggest flop, Ian Stewart, are pretty much all that stands in the way of Arenado's arrival in Colorado...so not much, at all.  If he has a big spring and starts out hot at AA, anyone think he doesn't get a call up sooner than September?

#16 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 November 2011 - 11:56 PM

View PostHalo Fan, on Nov 22 2011, 10:43 PM, said:

So Kouz should be headed elsewhere.  Wiggy is gone.  Jordan Pacheco, Brandon Wood, and last year's biggest flop, Ian Stewart, are pretty much all that stands in the way of Arenado's arrival in Colorado...so not much, at all.  If he has a big spring and starts out hot at AA, anyone think he doesn't get a call up sooner than September?

July maybe? The problem is I'm sure the Rockies know that he's special and don't want to rush him. He's also only 21 and has even played at AA yet. That said, his bat could still be MLB-ready.
I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#17 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,820 posts

Posted 23 November 2011 - 12:00 AM

View PostPosting In The Clutch, on Nov 22 2011, 08:56 PM, said:

July maybe? The problem is I'm sure the Rockies know that he's special and don't want to rush him. He's also only 21 and has even played at AA yet. That said, his bat could still be MLB-ready.

Yeah, I know they don't want to rush him.  I'm just a little giddy, I guess.

#18 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,277 posts

Posted 30 January 2012 - 02:07 PM

He is a stud and his ETA I hear is mid-2012 if he doesn't struggle at AA initially. I'm really bullish on this kid.
SIG UPDATED TO 9/1/2014!

12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Michael Crabtree (backups Kelvin Benjamin and Steve Smith)
RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Shane Vereen
TE Jason Witten (backup Kelce)
FLEX Ben Tate (backup RB benny cunningham, roy helu)

#19 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:10 PM

In my opinion the 2nd best position player prospect in the NL behind Harper. I think the floor on him will be an average regular and with Tulo and Cargo locked up long term the ceiling will be real high for him in that lineup

#20 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,361 posts

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

View Postbravesfan4life, on 02 March 2012 - 11:10 PM, said:

In my opinion the 2nd best position player prospect in the NL behind Harper. I think the floor on him will be an average regular and with Tulo and Cargo locked up long term the ceiling will be real high for him in that lineup

Yea, I put him and Rendon neck and neck. There skills offensively are quite similar as well, as Rendon will probably hit for a little higher average, identical power, and both pride themselves is their approach/patience leading to excellent OBP.