Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Roto Vs H2H. Which Is More Fun Or Preferred?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Roto Vs H2H. Which Is More Fun Or Preferred? (151 member(s) have cast votes)

Do you prefer Roto or H2H leagues?

1. H2H (110 votes [72.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 72.85%

2. Roto (41 votes [27.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 27.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 KillaPetehog

KillaPetehog

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Do you prefer roto leagues or H2H leagues?

#2 exaulz

exaulz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 574 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:13 AM

H2H is more fun but infinitely more frustrating with the random luck factor from week to week

#3 tstinger

tstinger

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:39 AM

I much prefer Roto, but I have to say Basketball and Football are the only 2 sports where I think you can actually enjoy a H2H league. How anyone plays H2H Baseball or Hockey is beyond me.
Help me get the Hockey Forum active!

#4 ginocan

ginocan

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

We had some classic threads and discussions about this specific question here on RW. My answer is still H2H.
"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've  lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I've been trusted to take the game  winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my  life. And that is why I succeed." - The G.O.A.T

#5 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,357 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:37 AM

I hate h2h with a passion. I wont ever play any h2h league for money. Ridiculous to lose due some crap combination of

1) a Bullchit schedule where you dont get as many games as you opponent. How dumb is to potentially be forced to trade one of your best players for .75 cents on the dollar because he has a lame playoff schedule with only 2 games that week? Fing idiotic.
2) Three of you players miss games respectively to the following crap, a) child birth, B) a root canal or some other ugly oral surgery, c) a suspension for a bs Dui or some other criminal mischief and d) players either being rested or "shutdown".
3) Your opponent getting some bs variance from the statistical norms that week form average to below average players.

It takes less skill to play h2h and introduces too much luck. To this day i still dont play fantasy football because it is largely based on luck in the playoffs. If i want luck to determine my fate I'll play the lottery. Also h2h allows you to "PUNT"an often inordinate and ridiculous number of categories inherently allowing GMS the ability to structure teams while ignoring a players major deficiencies. To me this is very lame. In Roto you wont win punting more than one category at the most. It is a harder path to reach the promised land and more challenging. It requires more skill to effectively balance a squad including their weaknesses. This is fact
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#6 ss3walkman

ss3walkman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,970 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:16 AM

H2H points daily

#7 teamshameless

teamshameless

Likes Pointy Leather Boots

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:12 PM

View PostCode of Hammurabi, on 19 April 2012 - 08:37 AM, said:

I hate h2h with a passion. I wont ever play any h2h league for money. Ridiculous to lose due some crap combination of

1) a Bullchit schedule where you dont get as many games as you opponent. How dumb is to potentially be forced to trade one of your best players for .75 cents on the dollar because he has a lame playoff schedule with only 2 games that week? Fing idiotic.
2) Three of you players miss games respectively to the following crap, a) child birth, B) a root canal or some other ugly oral surgery, c) a suspension for a bs Dui or some other criminal mischief and d) players either being rested or "shutdown".
3) Your opponent getting some bs variance from the statistical norms that week form average to below average players.

It takes less skill to play h2h and introduces too much luck. To this day i still dont play fantasy football because it is largely based on luck in the playoffs. If i want luck to determine my fate I'll play the lottery. Also h2h allows you to "PUNT"an often inordinate and ridiculous number of categories inherently allowing GMS the ability to structure teams while ignoring a players major deficiencies. To me this is very lame. In Roto you wont win punting more than one category at the most. It is a harder path to reach the promised land and more challenging. It requires more skill to effectively balance a squad including their weaknesses. This is fact

So the fact that you came in last place in our H2H league was luck and none of us have the same amount of skill as you?  Put the gun down and stop letting your frustrations get the best of you.  You have your game, we have ours.  Breath. :P
Putting the Mod in Moderator

#8 deadlyrange0321

deadlyrange0321

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

Definitely prefer H2H.....it feels as though the games are more important as you are playing a new opponent each week as opposed to just accumulating stats and waiting to see who's in what place. Also, playing H2H allows much more enjoyment with your friends.

Is there more luck? Sure, but at the end of the day, we all play fantasy sports to have fun, and I feel H2H offers much more fun as compared to roto.

#9 Dapro

Dapro

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:30 PM

I have played both and won in both. To me, it seems roto take less work. You draft well and for most of the season just plug in your top players at that spot until near the end you start making moves to catchup on cats. I hate h2h weekly, because a guy will miss a game or two in the middle of the week and you can't do anything about it, Troy Murphy always come to mind! I enjoy h2h daily the most because it requires you to plan a head for the playoff weeks with trades and pickup.
12 teams daily yahoo fantasy Basketball league with 11 cats standard scoring.

PG: J. Wall (pg)
SG: E. Gordon (sg)
SF: L. Deng (sf/pf)
PF: D. Favors (pf/c)
C: D. Cousins (pf/c)
Util: D. Wade (pg/sg)

BN: D. Derozan (sg/sf)
BN: T. Evans (sg/sf)
BN: Stream slot
BN: M. Morris (pf/c)
BN: J. Lin (pg/sg)
BN: R. Foye
(pg/sg)

#10 earthtobrint

earthtobrint

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,407 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:48 PM

"Punting" certain categories and strategically structuring your lineup to matchup against your opponent is what makes H2H fun. It can sometimes be fluky due to injury or just anomolous performance for that week.  Two week matchups can help deter that some, which is how the playoffs are set up in one league I'm in.  

I agree that roto is more challenging though, and therefore possibly more rewarding.  I enjoy both roto and H2H cat leagues.  Points leagues, however, are fantasy sports lobotomized.  They remove all the strategy.

Edited by earthtobrint, 19 April 2012 - 12:51 PM.

#11 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,776 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:15 PM

I love both. Roto takes more technique and in those leagues sometimes you cant have a team like you can in H2H. FG% and FT% are both gamechangers in roto but dont really matter in H2H.

You actually have to have all-around players like Rondo, Jared Dudley or great FG% guys like Tyson Chandler. In H2H you can give up on FG% and stock up on particular categories to win. If it came down to me having to chose i'd prefer H2H though.

View Postrraayy3, on 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#12 DrGonzo

DrGonzo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Roto by a mile. And I love my keeper league over others  too.
My player just got benched. FIRE THE COACH!!!!!!

#13 Knicks2689

Knicks2689

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,868 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:23 PM

roto takes more skill one trade can knock you out of a top three finish etc gotta play the cats so tight

#14 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:49 PM

Every fantasy sport except baseball is best played H2H.

#15 MaJiC

MaJiC

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 07:42 PM

View Postss3walkman, on 19 April 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

H2H points daily

this seems to be the best and most logical way to play IMO. i love it
10 team | 9 cat points league | H2H Daily Lineups

Roster: always changing due to injuries... no point putting it up here anymore!

#16 st1010

st1010

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:55 PM

h2h...assuming all the managers are responsible enough to set their lineups!

#17 w00funk

w00funk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:54 PM

H2H.  I've played roto, but H2H is just much more enjoyable for me.  And I think H2H takes just as much planning and preparation (and requires more overall activity IMO).  If you know that games played matter, as most vets do, you draft accordingly and trade accordingly.  Same goes for veteran rests and shutdowns of injury prone players.  It may not work like that in keeper/dynasty leagues, but you have players/seasons with good schedules and bad schedules, and you take it as it goes.

Plus, H2H is more like real basketball - with random factors and team vs. team matchups.  Yea, it sucks when you have injuries and random DNPs that costs you a win, but you have those in real life as well.  NBA is also not a 30 team free for all of stat accumulation where the champion is picked by total stats.  You matchup against teams with different strengths and weaknesses, with good/bad/horrible schedules, hot and cold shooting, and with other random factors mixed in.

Also, I don't see why being able to win while punting multiple categories takes less skill.  You punt multiple cats at your own risk and build your team around your specific plans.  If you can successfully form a team that can punt two or more cats and completely dominate the select majority, I'd think that it requires very good planning and "skills."

And finally, upsets make sports great, and so it does in H2H.

#18 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,125 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

H2H, it's more exciting.
you need to change strategies each week agasint different GMs.
and good settings should be introduced. I played with the settings below for over 7 years, and every year has been dog fights.

love it.
9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Bledsoe, Lawson, Collison, C Lee
F - Kawhi, Parsons, C Butler, Dunleavy, Booker

C - Sullinger, Pekovic,

#19 Dr. Whom

Dr. Whom

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,488 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:40 AM

I will probably lose because Chris Bosh turned into a little girl on championship week...Still like H2H though as the skill gets you to the dance, it is up to you to get lucky
Some of my favorite bands:

Animals as Leaders
Tomahawk
Cynic
Gojira
Sepultura (Max-era)

None of that emo garbage

#20 ATLAnt

ATLAnt

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:49 AM

H2H is more competitive to me, can be lots fun and lots of headaches.
If my current league is roto, I would win by a landslide. But because it's H2H, losing Love and DWill might be too much to overcome. It's a super class race, I could easily loose if more of my players get rested.