Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

David Wilson 2012 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1122 replies to this topic

#1 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:42 PM

basically, reese cloned ahmad bradshaw and gave him 4.3 speed

jacobs is gone, bradshaw has problematic feet/ankles, dj ware defines mediocrity ... first round pick for a reason

should be a nice flier in fantasy drafts this year

#2 FeloniousT

FeloniousT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:23 AM

He and Lamar Miller are in a similar boat.

#3 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:33 AM

how so? miami's offense is nowhere near the giants ... and bradshaw is the only back in his way

#4 FeloniousT

FeloniousT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,815 posts

Posted 01 May 2012 - 01:55 AM

how so? miami's offense is nowhere near the giants ... and bradshaw is the only back in his way

lol Really? I thought Bess and Hartline were Nicks and Cruz?

Reggie Bush is all Miller has in his way and he (Bush) is going to be out at WR a good amount of the time. Miller's got a lot more to offer than Daniel Thomas.

#5 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 08:56 PM

basically, reese cloned ahmad bradshaw and gave him 4.3 speed

should be a nice flier in fantasy drafts this year

He reminds me... a lot... of Tiki Barber.
His hard running style, speed and balance, the size... so many similarities.
If only he could catch like Tiki...

Wilson is going to be a pretty sick weapon in the Giants arsenal...
He may not have consistent stats week to week, but he definitely looks like a playmaker.

Edited by Winky, 13 June 2012 - 08:58 PM.

This post is rated "G".

#6 jnormy

jnormy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 13 June 2012 - 10:05 PM

Talent-wise Wilson is the second-best RB in this class IMO... only issues are ball security and an over-tendency to try and make the big play instead of turning it upfield for positive yardage. If he works to fix those, he's got a golden opportunity to be a real fantasy factor, especially when Bradshaw inevitably needs some time off. Wilson has fantastic vision, balance, the power to break tackles (led the nation in yards after contact in 2011), and elite speed. Can't wait to see how he does when they put the pads on later in the summer.

#7 theSPANKER

theSPANKER

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,877 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:52 AM

Wilson shouldn't be considered a fantasy flier by whoever drafts Bradshaw given his well-known foot issues.

He should be without-a-doubt be off the draft board before the later rounds as an essential handcuff to Bradshaw.

Edited by theSPANKER, 14 June 2012 - 08:53 AM.

12-man 1pt PPR redraft league, start 2 RB/2WRs with 1 RB/WR/TE Flex All TDs 6pts, 15 Man Roster

QBs - Russell Wilson
RBs - Murrray, Vereen, Steven Jackson, Jeremy Hill, Ahmad Bradshaw, Lance Dunbar
WRs - Dez Bryant, Andre Johnson, Josh Gordon, Michael Crabtree, Michael Floyd
TE - Kelce
K - Matt Bryant
Pats D

#8 jnormy

jnormy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 01:27 PM

Giants OC Kevin Gilbride had high praise for first-round RB David Wilson's explosiveness at this week's minicamp.
"I don't know if we've had a guy as explosive, regardless of the position, here ... darting, the exposiveness in short bursts," said Gilbride. "He's got some excitement that I don't know if we've had that kind of guy. In this guy you've got the kind of explosion that I'm not sure how many guys in the league have." Wilson is a more talented runner than Ahmad Bradshaw, but he's going to have to polish his passing-game skills before threatening for the starting job down the road.

Source: Ralph Vacchiano on Twitter

#9 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,176 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

Wilson shouldn't be considered a fantasy flier by whoever drafts Bradshaw given his well-known foot issues.

He should be without-a-doubt be off the draft board before the later rounds as an essential handcuff to Bradshaw.

Exactly. If I miss out on the top tier RBs I will take Bradshaw later on and handcuff with Wilson for sure, good insurance.
2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Danny Woodhead (6.09)
WR1: Calvin Johnson (1.06)
WR2: Julio Jones (2.09)
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Lamar Miller ; Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: ARI DST
K: Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

Bench: Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, CLE DST (15.06)

#10 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,772 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 04:40 AM

As much as people are emphasizing his quickness and speed, I think the video in the first post exemplifies David Wilson's best trait: extreme effort.

He's always fighting for that extra yard. Really love to see that in a RB. Marshawn Lynch has that kind of running style as well, and look how well that worked out last season when given a workload.

Unlike Jahvid Best, who has to break the big play to have consistent value in the rushing game, even if Wilson doesn't break a big one, the extra effort he gives on every run will likely translate into a good floor fantasy if he winds up in the feature back role (majority of carries), whether that be this season or in a future season. Then you tack on his big play upside and you've got a RB with a very good floor combined with Jahvid Best-like big play upside. That's a killer combination, imo.

I believe Chris Johnson's 40-yard dash time was 4.24. I've read that David Wilson has been clocked as fast as 4.29 in the 40, and I believe Jahvid Best's combine 40-time was 4.35. The numbers should give you a good idea of what company David Wilson is in from a speed perspective; all are top-notch fast.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#11 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:15 PM

speed

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 17 July 2012 - 12:17 PM

power

#13 Go Big Blue

Go Big Blue

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:45 PM

Long term, I am very excited for Wilson.

Big question is what kind of impact he can have this year. My other concern is his size, 5'10" 205#. I know he is more powerful than his size but I hope his body can take the hits.

#14 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,772 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 02:54 PM

Big question is what kind of impact he can have this year. My other concern is his size, 5'10" 205#. I know he is more powerful than his size but I hope his body can take the hits.

I'm a lot less worried about his body being able to take the hits. I'm more worried about him mastering pass protection so he can be used frequently on the field. At 205lbs, that will be the key to his fantasy value.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#15 Winky

Winky

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,320 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:52 PM

I'm a lot less worried about his body being able to take the hits. I'm more worried about him mastering pass protection so he can be used frequently on the field. At 205lbs, that will be the key to his fantasy value.

Agreed.
That, and the offense needs to channel additional emphasis on passing to the RBs.
The 2011 Giants offense netted roughly 75-80 pass completions to the RBs with Bradshaw pulling down 34 to lead the way and Ware grabbing another 27 (Jacobs 15, etc...). Bradshaw had 47 the year before.

Tiki Barber averaged 60+ catches per season and we haven't seen that concentration to one RB since he left the team.
David Wilson is built remarkably similarly (size/speed combo) to Tiki Barber and the hope is, obviously, that he can develop into the runner & receiver that Barber was.

With Bradshaw still locked into the lion's share of the workload, Wilson will have time to develop his craft... he will certainly see a share of carries, but the receptions will come along more slowly, increasing over the course of the season as his pass protection skills improve and as he supplants Ware as the Giants #2RB.

Edited by Winky, 18 July 2012 - 03:55 PM.

This post is rated "G".

#16 Clutch is Eli

Clutch is Eli

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 08:47 PM

I can't wait for this guy. I know Bradshaw is the No. 1, but the Giants are going to WANT to find a way to get this guy involved. He is going to be a playmaker in the NFL. There is a reason why they took him in the first round.

I'm kind've glad to see the hype hasn't really followed this guy, much like it has for Martin. I think Wilson is a more talented back than Martin. He is more explosive, and has that HR ability. The only thing blocking him from fantasy superstardom is Bradshaw. Don't get me wrong, opportunity is key in fantasy, but I think it is only a matter of time before we see David Wilson powering the rock across our television.

Ahmad Bradshaw has had some serious issues with his feet. Last year he avoided surgery and went with a bone marrow infusion in his ailing foot. Who knows if this will hold up. I don't see Bradshaw playing all 16 games, he is a smaller guy and is constantly dinged up. I know there is concern for DJ Ware but he is average at best. He simply won't have the presence/explosiveness that Wilson will.

The Giants ranked nearly last in rushing in 2011. They will work on that and drafted WIlson to be a big part of the new and revitalized rushing attack for the NY Giants. Eli has the ability to be an elite passer and open things up for the running game. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DRAFT DAVID WILSON. BY THE END OF 2012 HE WILL BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE NY GIANTS OFFENSE. Love the video rraaayyy3.
What does Eli Manning tell all the doubters?

Nothing. He already told them twice.

AAANNNND HERE. WE. GO!!

#17 fractal7221

fractal7221

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 08 August 2012 - 09:27 PM

The Giants ranked nearly last in rushing in 2011. They will work on that and drafted WIlson to be a big part of the new and revitalized rushing attack for the NY Giants. Eli has the ability to be an elite passer and open things up for the running game. DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND DRAFT DAVID WILSON. BY THE END OF 2012 HE WILL BE AN INTEGRAL PART OF THE NY GIANTS OFFENSE. Love the video rraaayyy3.

I agree. I've been trying to picking him late in almost every draft I can.

#18 RotoFan75

RotoFan75

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:53 PM

More good news (from rotoworld, of course ;)):

Giants running backs coach Jerald Ingram said No. 32 overall pick David Wilson will be an "integral part of what we do this year."
Wilson is still raw in pass protection and knowledge of the playbook. But his speed and explosion has been evident since camp started. "He is going to be a contributor that they will at least have to try to defend because he does have that exceptional kind of speed that you're looking for," Ingram said. We're expecting Wilson to serve as a high-upside option directly behind Ahmad Bradshaw right away.

Can't wait to see him in action, I'm firmly entrenched in this bandwagon (have him in 8 of 9 teams so far). :)

#19 Clutch is Eli

Clutch is Eli

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 12:56 PM

More good news (from rotoworld, of course ;)):

Giants running backs coach Jerald Ingram said No. 32 overall pick David Wilson will be an "integral part of what we do this year."
Wilson is still raw in pass protection and knowledge of the playbook. But his speed and explosion has been evident since camp started. "He is going to be a contributor that they will at least have to try to defend because he does have that exceptional kind of speed that you're looking for," Ingram said. We're expecting Wilson to serve as a high-upside option directly behind Ahmad Bradshaw right away.

Can't wait to see him in action, I'm firmly entrenched in this bandwagon (have him in 8 of 9 teams so far). :)

Agreed.
What does Eli Manning tell all the doubters?

Nothing. He already told them twice.

AAANNNND HERE. WE. GO!!

#20 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 10 August 2012 - 01:09 PM

I'm trying to compare him to a back in the league ...

The best I've come up with is a Charles/Bradshaw lovechild.

Can't ffff'n wait to see this guy (and the rest of the champs)