117 replies to this topic

#1 rollobobo

rollobobo

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 03:42 PM

So he was officially declared a free agent today. He's been linked to the Cubs through out most of Spring Training. Anyone have any insight or feelings on where he may sign?

I feel like the Cubs are probably the favorite to sign him. Theo really likes him and it was rumored they like Soler more then Cespedes.

#2 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 04:22 PM

From MLBTRadeRumors:

"The Indians, Red Sox, Phillies, Yankees, Marlins, Blue Jays, and Astros are said to have interest in Soler, and I'm sure many other clubs will get involved as well. Back in March we heard bogus reports that the Cubs had agreed to a contract with the outfielder. Two GMs speculated that the bidding would exceed five years and $15-20MM back in February."

#3 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Lets keep in mind he is only 20.

#4 Morat

Morat

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Oh, nevermind, question answered above.  We shouldn't expect to see him until next year the earliest right?

Edited by Morat, 02 June 2012 - 05:09 PM.

"Give me a new ball...one you can see." - A.J. Pierzynski to umpire.

#5 David Light

David Light

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,004 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 05:12 PM

Is he better than Cespedes?

#6 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:18 PM

View PostDavid Light, on 02 June 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Personally, I think I'd rather have Soler...Big kid, massive power potential.
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#7 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,085 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:20 PM

View PostHalo Fan, on 02 June 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

That description also describes Cespedes :)

Edited by Ragnaroker, 02 June 2012 - 06:21 PM.

#8 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,856 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:24 PM

Who know

Well, he's about 6 years younger so he'll have a chance to actually develop through a teams farm system. Cespedes, at his age, had to play in the bigs now for any team to get any value out of him. He has more potential due to the fact that he's much younger and has room for growth
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee(DL), James Shields, Andrew Heaney, Jordan Zimmermann, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Carlos Martinez, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#9 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostRagnaroker, on 02 June 2012 - 06:20 PM, said:

View PostHalo Fan, on 02 June 2012 - 06:18 PM, said:

That description also describes Cespedes :)

Yeah, I guess you're right. :lol:

I play in a dynasty, and am dominating this year, so the fact that he is 6-7 years younger probably adds to my preference of Soler.  Soler also could fill out even more.  I think they are both great options to have.

Edited by Halo Fan, 02 June 2012 - 06:29 PM.

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#10 Michael Bluth

Michael Bluth

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,335 posts

Posted 02 June 2012 - 06:42 PM

Everything I see, which obviously isn't a lot, says he'd be 2-3 years away. I think theo gets this done (if he hasn't already).

#11 rollobobo

rollobobo

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 03 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Here's the latest...

Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler's agents have asked teams to submit bids for their client by June 7.

Soler, 20, received interest from multiple teams this offseason, but had his free agency delayed due to residency issues in the Dominican Republic. Now that he's been granted free agency by MLB, he's expected to make a decision shortly on his future. Soler is expected to be seeking a deal in the range of Yoenis Cespedes' four-year, $36 million contract, though $25-$35 million seems more realistic. The Cubs and Red Sox are considered the favorites to sign him, though the Orioles, Astros, Phillies, White Sox and Indians have all been previously linked as landing spots.

#12 treyjuice

treyjuice

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 06:58 PM

You don't pay a guy 30 million dollars to play in the minors. Unless there is some sort of clause in the contract that says he starts getting the big money when he gets called up to MLB, than I think it stands to reason we will see him in the majors sooner than later. Would be a great steal in keeper leagues. I just wish Cbssports would add him.

#13 DropkickAlex

DropkickAlex

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 04 June 2012 - 10:26 PM

A very raw Stanton is a comparison.
Brooklyn Dodgers: Buffalo Baseball League: Dynasty League: 7th Year:
World Series Champion (2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
American League Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)
Division Champion (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013)

#14 rollobobo

rollobobo

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,345 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 06:55 PM

Latest:

The Cubs were among those that attended Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler's workout Wednesday.

No surprise there, as many are viewing the Cubs as the team to beat for the 20-year-old. The Red Sox, Pirates, Orioles, Phillies, and White Sox have all been linked as possible landing spots, as well. Soler's agents have asked teams to submit bids for their client by June 7, though it's not clear when he'll make a decision.

#15 BIG SKI

BIG SKI

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 07:16 PM

I'd find it hard to believe if he did not take the highest offer. Cubs have had a jones for him for a couple years, and will offer the 30+ mil it will take
16 Team ($150 draft with $200 cap and $15 per transaction) Roto Auction Combined 5 x 4 (OB% not AVG and no pitching K's) No bench just minors which also cost $5 a year, and we pick 5 a year(23 man roster) Weekly transactions

C:$6(16)Santana,cle/$4 Ruiz,phi
1B/3B/CI:$7 LaRoche,was/$3(15) Frazier,cin/$18 Sandoval,sf
2B/SS/MI:$2(14) Roberts,nyy/ $1 Villar,hou/$8 Utley,phi
OF:$7(15) Davis,mil/$10(14) Crawford,lad/$6(14) E.Young,nym/$25 Bautista,tor/$10 Beltran,nyy
OF/UT:$1 Nava,bos
P:$1 Fernandez,mia/$8(16) Cingrani,cin/$8(16) Salazar,cle/$6(14) Jimenez,balt/$1 Hutchinson,tor/$1 Anderson,col/$1 Santos,tor/$2 Marshall,cin/$14 Papelbon,phi
MINORS:
C:d'Arnuad,nym
1B: 3B: Skole,was
2B:LaStella,atl/Betts,bos/Leyba,det SS:Lindor,cle/Hanson,pit/A.Rosario,nym/C.Herrera,col/Quinn,phi
OF:Perez,was/Tapia,col/Alford,tor/Boyd,oak/Guerrero,sea/Beras,tex/Davis,tor/Polanco,pit/Hernadez,kc/Molina,nyy/Castillo,cuba
P:Walker,sea/Giolito,was/Butler,col/Ventura,kc

#16 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:11 PM

Buster Olney of ESPN.com reports that the Cubs, Yankees, Braves and Dodgers have been the most aggressive in bidding on Cuban outfielder Jorge Soler.

The first round of bids for the Cuban defector were submitted earlier this week, and the second round of bids are due this weekend. Soler is expected to receive at least $25 million and should make a decision before long. The Red Sox, Pirates, Orioles, Phillies, and White Sox have also been mentioned as possible landing spots.

Awesome to see the dodgers in the mix!  McCourt reign of terror is really over!
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Allen Craig / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Edwin Encarnacion / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Todd Frazier, Charlie Blackmon
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, George Springer, C.J Cron
NA - Kris Bryant, Joey Gallo

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Ernesto Frieri, Zach Britton
P -   Bryan Shaw, Luke Gregerson, JP Howell, Andrew Miller
Bench - Justin Masterson, Chris Archer, Drew Hutchison, Jesse Hahn, Alex Wood, Jimmy Nelson
DL - Kevin Siegrist, Eddie Butler

#17 BxBOMBERs28

BxBOMBERs28

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,701 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:24 PM

I know very little about this guy... hes a big power guy I hear. Does he offer anything else? Any thoughts on how long it would take him to get to the majors after he signs?

#18 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,410 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:35 PM

Soler is considered to have five-tool potential. At 6'3" and 200 pounds, Soler likely projects as a right fielder with considerable power, a strong accurate throwing arm, and speed to burn on the basepaths.

I got the above from bleacher reports.  I also read from somewhere else that it will probably take a couple of years for the kid to arrive in the bigs.
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Allen Craig / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Edwin Encarnacion / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Todd Frazier, Charlie Blackmon
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, George Springer, C.J Cron
NA - Kris Bryant, Joey Gallo

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Ernesto Frieri, Zach Britton
P -   Bryan Shaw, Luke Gregerson, JP Howell, Andrew Miller
Bench - Justin Masterson, Chris Archer, Drew Hutchison, Jesse Hahn, Alex Wood, Jimmy Nelson
DL - Kevin Siegrist, Eddie Butler

#19 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,776 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:44 PM

View Postpoopdungbeatle, on 08 June 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Awesome to see the dodgers in the mix!  McCourt reign of terror is really over!

Yeah, I figured with new ownership and the glaring hole in LF, they'd likely make a bid.

#20 BIG SKI

BIG SKI

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:46 PM

Sounds like BJ Upton would be a good comp
16 Team ($150 draft with $200 cap and $15 per transaction) Roto Auction Combined 5 x 4 (OB% not AVG and no pitching K's) No bench just minors which also cost $5 a year, and we pick 5 a year(23 man roster) Weekly transactions

C:$6(16)Santana,cle/$4 Ruiz,phi
1B/3B/CI:$7 LaRoche,was/$3(15) Frazier,cin/$18 Sandoval,sf
2B/SS/MI:$2(14) Roberts,nyy/ $1 Villar,hou/$8 Utley,phi
OF:$7(15) Davis,mil/$10(14) Crawford,lad/$6(14) E.Young,nym/$25 Bautista,tor/$10 Beltran,nyy
OF/UT:$1 Nava,bos
P:$1 Fernandez,mia/$8(16) Cingrani,cin/$8(16) Salazar,cle/$6(14) Jimenez,balt/$1 Hutchinson,tor/$1 Anderson,col/$1 Santos,tor/$2 Marshall,cin/$14 Papelbon,phi
MINORS:
C:d'Arnuad,nym
1B: 3B: Skole,was
2B:LaStella,atl/Betts,bos/Leyba,det SS:Lindor,cle/Hanson,pit/A.Rosario,nym/C.Herrera,col/Quinn,phi
OF:Perez,was/Tapia,col/Alford,tor/Boyd,oak/Guerrero,sea/Beras,tex/Davis,tor/Polanco,pit/Hernadez,kc/Molina,nyy/Castillo,cuba
P:Walker,sea/Giolito,was/Butler,col/Ventura,kc

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users