223 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,028 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:15 PM

So, like last year, just wanted to get some movie talk going in here.  I know some folks don't spend all summer watching baseball games :D !  I've seen a couple of summer blockbusters thus far.

First one was Hunger Games (technically not a summer movie but the "summer movie season" is getting earlier and earlier).  Haven't read the books and only went to it because the little woman wanted to see it, but I thought it was fine.  Better than F'n Twilight, which I was forced to see the first two.  I thought there wasn't a ton of character development but it held my attention and had some compelling scenes.  Teen romantic angst isn't my thing but Woody and Sutherland were good in their parts.  Not great, but okay.

Second summer movie I saw was The Avengers.  Great popcorn flick.  Fun, tight, great CGI and had a few laughs.  I'm a big Hulk fan so I thought he stole the movie even though I'm not a big Ruffalo fan.  Big, loud, and World vs. Aliens -- pretty simple.  One thing that I thought was a bit ridiculous was the Hawkeye and particularly the Black Widow character fighting these aliens with her little guns in the middle of the street.  It was so silly looking when you have the Hulk, Thor, IM, and even Cap America going all bada$$.  They looked like the JV squad, but it wasn't enough to keep me from enjoying the movie.  In Joss we trust!

Otherwise, the summer has been a bit boring thus far.  Battleship looked so bad, I was shocked that someone would spend 200 million on it.  Snow White ain't my thing although Charlize Theron is supposed to be terrific in it.  MIBIII?  Meh.  I'll wait until it's on TBS 158 thousand times.  That all changes this week.  Prometheus comes out and I'm a big Sci-fi and Ridley Scott fan.  For the youngsters around here, Ridley Scott directed a sci-fi space horror flick called Alien and it was a bit ground breaking in it's tone, look, and execution.  It's since inspired countless other movies like Predator, The Thing, Independence Day, MIB, District 9, and countless others.  It's suffocating and abandoned feel set the bar for intelligent, alien thrillers.  Well, Prometheus is sort of a prequel and it's supposedly incredible visually (Scott has always been and incredible visual director) and should provide more chilling fun.

Other movies, I'm interested in?  TDKR, of course.  TDK is generally considered the best superhero movie of all-time and we're probably in Nolan's prime, so I expect another really good film even if it may not be as good as the 2nd part of the trilogy.  Abraham Lincoln:  Vampire Hunter.  Looks like hilarious pulp fun.  Maybe Ted.  Could be funny.  Spiderman, although I feel like a reboot is a bit ridiculous when the original was out barely a decade ago.  Still, looks a bit darker and the Lizard is a good villain.  Killer Joe, interesting premise.  The rebooted Total Recall.  Maybe even Lawless.

So, RW community.  What movies are you looking forward to?  What movies have you seen and how would you rate them?  Anyone think that TDKR will disappoint?  Will Spiderman be better than Maguire's versions (The first was decent, 2nd good, 3rd turrible IMO)?  Let's get a little movie talk going.....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:22 PM

I was at first adamantly against the reboot of Total Recall, but after watching the trailer Im pretty excited for it.

Also looking forward to Prometheus, looks pretty awesome visually and from what I understand serves as something of a prequel to the Alien series. I would also echo your anticipation of TDKR this summer, the trailers and teasers have looked pretty good and the character of Bane seems to be well translated to film. Also curious to see how the supporting characters play out in that one as there are some real possibilities!
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#3 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,028 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

View Postdzemens, on 07 June 2012 - 12:22 PM, said:

I was at first adamantly against the reboot of Total Recall, but after watching the trailer Im pretty excited for it.

Also looking forward to Prometheus, looks pretty awesome visually and from what I understand serves as something of a prequel to the Alien series. I would also echo your anticipation of TDKR this summer, the trailers and teasers have looked pretty good and the character of Bane seems to be well translated to film. Also curious to see how the supporting characters play out in that one as there are some real possibilities!

To carry over on the TDKR conversation.  I wasn't a big fan of the casting of Hathaway as Selina Kyle (Catwoman).  I think she's a fine actress but not sure she cares the necessary grit or inherent danger needed to capture the character.  She seems too 'girl next door' for such a role.  If Nolan's shown one weakness, it's miscasting female roles in his movies.  I have no idea what JGL is going to be doing in the movie but if they infer he's going to be Robin, Nightwing, Azrael or the new Batman I'll be disappointed.  I'm a big Tom Hardy fan and I think he'll be outstanding but worry that he'll be unfairly compared to Heath Ledger.  Very different characters and very different circumstances.  Obviously, Nolan is borrowing heavily from the 'Knightfall' arc from the comic books, so we'll have to see.  To make this fantasy related, TDKR filmed principally in Pittsburgh and the football player in the trailers that you see is Hines Ward.  They obviously used CGI to make Hines look that fast.... :lol:

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 03:16 PM

I would agree, I dont like the casting for Bat Woman. I think JGL could be interesting in his role, I almost feel like he will don the cowl at some point.

Hardy does have a high standard to live up to from Ledgers perfomance as the joker, but anyone with any knowledge of the Batman series knows how divergent of characters they are. I think the application of Bane, from what Ive seen so far, in the movie will be great as compared to the over the top feel his character had in the comic books.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 ludawg23

ludawg23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 11,748 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:34 PM

I am so amped for Dark Night and Prometheus...should be great flicks.

Also, this isn't a summer movie but the 3rd installment of Bond comes out in November, "Skyfall".  Definitely excited for that one...
12 team 5x5 H2H League

C - Lucroy
1st - V-Mart
2nd - Kipnis
SS - Castro
3rd - Aramis
OF - Trout, Choo, Bautisa
UTIL - Pujols, Panda, Lind
BENCH - Mesoraco, R. Davis, Baez

SP - Anibal, Shields, Iwakumi, Cashner, Samardzija, E. Santana, Hudson, McHugh, Worley
RP - Doolittle, Casilla, McGee

#6 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:43 AM

I saw Prometheus and didnt enjoy is much. Really want to know what you thought about the movie Mr. Bateman since you said you like the series.

#7 knuckleballah22

knuckleballah22

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 11:54 AM

i heard prometheus is the movie of the summer... havent seen it yet

#8 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,028 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

View PostTheoneupper, on 09 June 2012 - 08:43 AM, said:

I saw Prometheus and didnt enjoy is much. Really want to know what you thought about the movie Mr. Bateman since you said you like the series.

Saw it last night.  I enjoyed the experience even if the rote story of Prometheus has it's failings.  Things that were good:

Visually, it's stunning.   Scott has always been amongst the best handful of directors from a visually artistic sense.
The acting is good.  Fassbender is particularly foreboding.
The toys.  Again, awesome CGI and technology.
It challenges thought and conventions and promotes serious and heavy ideas full of symbolism.

Things that didn't work:

The actors are good, but the script undercuts Theron and Ilba and denies them the necessary depth needed.  Wastes their potential.
I abhor smart people doing dumb things.  There are some clear moments of character inconsistencies.  In that way, it was no better than a teen slasher flick in parts.
The symbolism was uneven.  In parts, it could have used more exploration, in others it hits you over the head.

If you've seen Alien (Scott's work) or Aliens (Cameron's work) and your expecting more of the same, this isn't the flick for you.  This is much more Blade Runner than Alien.  What I mean is that Scott is a true provocateur in this film asking interesting questions and positing interesting possibilities in a macabre method.  It's the type of film that challenges you to think and consider and to discuss.  Again, the execution of the actual story had some problems, but not enough for me to not enjoy the experience.  It didn't meet it's substantial potential but I still liked it and find myself more intrigued by it now then I was after walking out of the theater.  If you want a alien horror flick that is tied up in a bow after 2 hours, then this isn't a good film for folks.  Again, like Blade Runner, this film may actually create much more of a cult following than a normal flick.  The mythology it develops is provocative.....

#9 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 06:57 AM

Just saw it Sunday night.

The movie was slow, to be sure, and that may have turned some people off, but I found that to be a representation of the sombrous, insidious nature of the work as a whole: the two year voyage following a star map to "Some rock in the middle of space,"; the opening of the stone doors causing trace shifts in the atmosphere, which allowed the jars to ooze the infamous black bile from whence the face-huggers were born; the minute, wriggly movements behind Dr. Holloway's blood-tinged eyes; and, most of all, the biogenetic reaction that disintegrated the DNA of Holloway and the Engineer in the beginning serves to uphold the tone.

I agree with PB on Fassbender completely delving in to his role. His commitment to the role doesn't go unnoticed; echoes of the child-like, continuously evolving curiosity of the android in Blade Runner (also directed by Scott), attempting to find a soul, resounded very clearly. His stasis - the only true physical and mental constant in the movie, even with regard to the hypersleep chambers - was fascinating, giving us a glimpse of how he viewed the world. Just as the humans aboard Prometheus were looking for an answer to mankind's most meaningful questions, so was Daniel, albeit on a smaller scale. He's already learned everything there is to know, and this made him feel superior to the rest of the crew, and in spite of his lack of emotions, it also made him feel something close to jealousy realizing he never receives the proper appreciation for his work and innate "brilliance." Fassbender conveyed the gamine, ulterior nature - the nature of something artificial, a walking, thinking paradox - of the role aptly, with perhaps the best example being the poisoning of Holloway after their talk on the meaning of life, and the creation behind it. He also, in my opinion, delivered one of the best lines: "Of course, it's not a traditional fetus." :unsure:

Speaking of the pregnancy, Ms. Rapace did a satisfactory job of playing the strong female lead, and comparisons to Ellen Ripley are warranted - but moreso due to Scott's script than Rapace/Shaw's vicious will to survive. She was the character who underwent the most drastic transformation, but that's to be expected considering the main role was hers. Her faith was continuously challenged, and yet, even after learning the mortal fruits of Earth's loins came from something less grand than a divine being, she continued believing, continued wearing her father's cross. It set up a rather interesting philosophical schema: How far do things go before our faith is broken? What really is the meaning of life - what we feel, see, hear, learn, read... Or does it only go as far as its origins? Is it the here and now, or the grand scheme of things, that matters?

And that, along with character inconsistencies (as PB mentioned) is where the movie collapsed under its own weight. Many, many grandiose questions were inspired, yet hardly any were given a definitive answer. Perhaps it's due to the unstable nature of these questions, as there is no empirically-based answer, but it's more likely that Scott established an extremely tantalizing mythology he means to explore and shed light on in the sequel. And that's a god damn copout. <_<

But the questions were very interesting nonetheless, and several times the movie brought science and faith together to make the precipice of the horizon where we'd be fed these answers all the more dangerous. It's a slippery slope indeed, both in terms of the views that may be forced upon us - as a general commentary to society, no more, but people have a habit of taking things personally - and in terms of the dreadful crypt of buried secrets that awaits us. Do we, as the audience, really want to know the answers? Or are we, as Holloway and the others learned, only leading ourselves towards disappointment and gloom? I especially liked the juxtaposition between the very real - science; the string theory in evidence when the galaxy map was seen and displayed by Daniel in the Engineers' spaceship - versus the very shaky - the pan flute, displayed in the same scenes, which has direct ties to many ancient religions, and represents harmony and balance through faith. Very interesting.

Of course, Scott's visual grandeur is always on point. The spaceship(s') design was nothing short of awesome; the beginning scene, with the Engineer's dilapidating body tumbling in to the waterfall as he screams out to the sky, was absolutely haunting; the strands of goo, consolidating and stretching to the point of seeing the tiny foundations that hold it together at work, was, as David obviously stated, "impressive." I can go on and on, but there's nothing as apparent as eye-candy. His visual cues have improved over the years as well: particularly poignant was the pool table, on which the cue and several 8-balls rolled around precariously as they were about to dock, symbolically showing how things were about to go very, very awry.

Overall, it was a very good movie. If compared to its enormous potential, it fell flat - but that's why all things are relative (and that's why high expectations need to be reserved)! I'd give it a 7/10, with most of those points going towards the striking, agonizing questions it imposes rather than the story or characters (Fassbender, Theron and Elba were good, though - the latter, especially, served as an extension of the audience and grounded us in reality and logos. If Scott can be trusted (after all, it's a matter of choosing to believe ;)), the sequel could serve as a true Hollywood milestone in more aspects than just aesthetics. We'll see, but considering how predictable of a crowd-pleaser this was, I'm not sure the suits or lure of money will let him.
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#10 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 07:43 PM

Good stuff fellas. Agree on every note.

#11 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 02:46 AM

For those who haven't seen it, check out The Cabin in the Woods. You'll go in expecting a conventional horror movie. I promise you your expectations will be shattered and exceeded. As PB said, "In Joss Whedon we trust,"; he wrote it and Drew Goddard (of Cloverfield fame) directed.

It's my favorite movie of the summer season thus far, and it's not close (Avengers was one of the better popcorn flicks released in a long time, though).

If you have seen it: What did you think? I went with 10 or so kids, and only 3 of us liked it - but all 3 of us were blown away. The other guys just didn't get the point. I guess you don't need a brain to play D-I lax. :P
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#12 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 17 June 2012 - 05:56 AM

Ill check out Cabin in the Woods.

Just was MiB3. Really liked it. Not as good as the first one, but better than the second one and a bit more emotionally appealing as well. Josh Brolin really delivers as we see a more sensitive and charismatic K instead of the stone faced emotionless Tommy Lee K. If you like the Men in Black series dont let the second discourage you from checking out the third installment.

Anyone excited for Abe Lincoln Vampire Hunter? I know i am! ^_^

#13 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,028 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:12 AM

View PostTheoneupper, on 17 June 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

Just was MiB3. Really liked it. Not as good as the first one, but better than the second one and a bit more emotionally appealing as well. Josh Brolin really delivers as we see a more sensitive and charismatic K instead of the stone faced emotionless Tommy Lee K. If you like the Men in Black series dont let the second discourage you from checking out the third installment.

Definitely cautiously optimistic on Vampire Hunter.  It has the possibility of being re-visionary fun, sort of like Inglorious Basterds.

I've heard good things about Cabin in the Woods, I'll check it out on video.

Weekend off this week.  Both "new" movies did horribly.  Too bad for Rock of Ages.  I don't seek out musicals, but I'm comfortable enough to watch them if they're good (Moulin Rouge is actually very good), but even the woman was meh about it although I heard that Cruise was excellent in it.  The Adam Sandler era may be over.  He hasn't had a big hit from a pure comedic standpoint since what?  Big Daddy?

#14 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:36 AM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 18 June 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

View PostTheoneupper, on 17 June 2012 - 05:56 AM, said:

I've heard good things about Cabin in the Woods, I'll check it out on video.

The Adam Sandler era may be over.  He hasn't had a big hit from a pure comedic standpoint since what?  Big Daddy?

I recommend seeing it in theaters, PB; it's larger than life - quite literally. ;)

Adam Sandler just never grew up, which is disappointing because he's shown promising range in the past (Reign Over Me had some poignant moments). His petulant character is so one-dimensional and predictable, kinda like Will Ferrell. It sucks, cuz Happy Gilmore (and his other earlier works apply, too) is a movie I can watch literally whenever it's on.

I have a feeling Vampire Hunter is gonna be mediocre to terrible, but let's hope not. Tarantino breathes life in to his characters and dialogue... I don't know exactly what Bekmambetov's (in the high chair) strengths are. I've seen Wanted; the story was cool, and I admired the tight pacing, but I don't know if he'll go with similar concepts in Vampire Hunter. On the other hand, Benjamin Walker (portraying Lincoln in all his bloodthirsty glory) seems like a promising lead.

#15 fletch44

fletch44

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 889 posts

Posted 29 June 2012 - 11:12 PM

Rock of Ages was amazing if you like 80's rock. I laughed out loud several times. One of the few movies I'll purchase for the DVD collection.

#16 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 30 June 2012 - 11:36 PM

Saw Ted tonight.....thought it was absolutely hysterical.

Basically, if you like Family Guy and Seth McFarlane, you'll probably like this movie. And if you don't, you won't
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#17 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 07:47 AM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 30 June 2012 - 11:36 PM, said:

Saw Ted tonight.....thought it was absolutely hysterical.

Basically, if you like Family Guy and Seth McFarlane, you'll probably like this movie. And if you don't, you won't
Great movie. Although Seth said he tried not to make Ted similar to Family Guy it was. But that isn't a bad thing. I can definitely see myself watching this movie over and over for the one liners and off the wall comedy. Seth made fun everyone and everything.

Edited by Theoneupper, 02 July 2012 - 07:48 AM.

#18 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:23 AM

Ted looks hilarious. Can't wait to see it later this week!
Bring back Ray!

#19 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

The Amazing Spiderman. The movie is amazing. At first I figured it wouldn't be so good since it was a reboot of a trilogy, but it is. must watch for comic and superhero fans.

View Postrraayy3, on 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#20 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,739 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

View PostFinally Detroit Wins, on 08 July 2012 - 08:49 PM, said:

The Amazing Spiderman. The movie is amazing. At first I figured it wouldn't be so good since it was a reboot of a trilogy, but it is. must watch for comic and superhero fans.
I watched this as well. I didnt think it was that great. It wasnt the worse movie, but it wasnt the best either. It definately felt more like a rehash of Spiderman 1 than a reboot, but i wont go into detail for spoilers reasons.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users