Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

What Have You Been Reading?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
38 replies to this topic

#1 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 07:16 AM

I have enough faith in the RW community to believe we read more than just baseball books. As interesting as they are, it's only one narrow aspect of literature as a whole. So what's piqued your interest lately?

I'm ashamed to say I haven't been reading nearly as much as I should be. I've been stuck on the new Stephen King novel, 11/22/63, for about two weeks now, which is annoying, as I'm somewhat OCD about finishing books. The plot deals with Jake, a high school teacher, learning of a wormhole that allows him to travel back in time to one date, and one date only: 9/9/58. After wandering around for a while and coming back to the present, he's blindsided by a single, engrained idea: What if I can save Kennedy's life? However, he soon learns the past has all sorts of rules, and it's not exactly willing to let itself be changed, especially in such a monumental fashion.

It's a good read, and I'm in the last hundred page range, but King should go back to horror. It's his bread-and-butter for a reason. The characters are fleshed out as ever, though, but there's something missing - I can't quite put my finger on it, but I'd have to say it's the absence of children - their innocence, perseverance, and acting as a battered shield against evil - as a focal point.

I'll whip up an actual review once I'm done. I also plan on rereading The Great Gatsby (only read it once, which is apparently an American sin), and then starting The Greater Journey: Americans in Paris by David McCullough.

So, fellow imposters of literacy and intellect, what's been leading you towards blindness?
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#2 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,874 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:02 AM

I recently read Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. A very good, thought provoking read regarding mans place in this world and if it is truly mans destiny to rule the world or if there is more to it than that.

Also just finished up The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek which does a wonderful job exposing the danger of government control of decision making regarding economics, and the tyranny which almost certainly will result. This book was written many years ago, and Hayek was a bit of a lone voice at the time regarding this topic.

The Great Gatsby is a good read and Ill be honest Im pretty excited about the movie adaptation coming out soon. If you like that Id also suggest you pick up The Collected Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, which is a collection of 21 short stories of his.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#3 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:22 AM

I recently read Ishmael, by Daniel Quinn. A very good, thought provoking read regarding mans place in this world and if it is truly mans destiny to rule the world or if there is more to it than that.

Also just finished up The Road to Serfdom by F.A. Hayek which does a wonderful job exposing the danger of government control of decision making regarding economics, and the tyranny which almost certainly will result. This book was written many years ago, and Hayek was a bit of a lone voice at the time regarding this topic.

The Great Gatsby is a good read and Ill be honest Im pretty excited about the movie adaptation coming out soon. If you like that Id also suggest you pick up The Collected Works of F. Scott Fitzgerald, which is a collection of 21 short stories of his.

I've read The Road to Serfdom, and I find it very interesting. F.A. Hayek was truly a pioneer. Have you read Freakanomics and its sequel? Not nearly as heavy as Hayek's work, but interesting nonetheless. It makes some crazy correlations and truly shows how the market can't be predicted because the human element can't be predicted.

I put Ishmael down on my "Books to Read" list. Did you go through the entire trilogy?

The Gatsby adaptation better be done justice, or they're ruining an American classic. I can definitely see Leo as Gatsby; he has that anachronistic debonaire style to him, which served him well in time-piece movies (even one like Gangs, where he was little more than a ruffian). However, my personal choice for the role would've been someone a bit less striking. Gatsby's legend precedes him - he's a normal guy. And while I love Leo because he does portray the everyday man in most movies, his fame serves as an inherent disservice to the character of Jay, IMO. Then again, reading over the last two sentences, there's definitely a parallel there. I think he'll be great (he never hasn't been), but I wanted to see someone a bit more "ordinary" in the role, in the vein of Edward Norton. But, again, I think Leo will be stellar and he's one of my favorite actors. I was convinced he could pull it off as soon as I heard they cast him, especially after watching Revolutionary Road (speaking of which, Sam Mendes would've made a great director for this movie, with his affinity for social commentary).

However, I don't trust Baz Luhrmann. Why's he in the Chair? I haven't seen Moulin Rouge! (which is critically acclaimed) but Romeo + Juliet was little more than a pointless but fun exercise, and Australia was a colossal failure financially (Hugh Jackman was the saving grace). Hopefully he really spreads his wings with this one.

Tobey McGuire should make a great Nick Carraway, with his aims-to-please and close-to-fawning demeanor; and Joel Edgerton looks like the perfect Tom. Carey Mulligan has that pixieish look that Daisy exemplifies, too.
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#4 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,874 posts

Posted 12 June 2012 - 08:49 AM

I've read The Road to Serfdom, and I find it very interesting. F.A. Hayek was truly a pioneer. Have you read Freakanomics and its sequel? Not nearly as heavy as Hayek's work, but interesting nonetheless. It makes some crazy correlations and truly shows how the market can't be predicted because the human element can't be predicted.

I put Ishmael down on my "Books to Read" list. Did you go through the entire trilogy?

The Gatsby adaptation better be done justice, or they're ruining an American classic. I can definitely see Leo as Gatsby; he has that anachronistic debonaire style to him, which served him well in time-piece movies (even one like Gangs, where he was little more than a ruffian). However, my personal choice for the role would've been someone a bit less striking. Gatsby's legend precedes him - he's a normal guy. And while I love Leo because he does portray the everyday man in most movies, his fame serves as an inherent disservice to the character of Jay, IMO. Then again, reading over the last two sentences, there's definitely a parallel there. I think he'll be great (he never hasn't been), but I wanted to see someone a bit more "ordinary" in the role, in the vein of Edward Norton. But, again, I think Leo will be stellar and he's one of my favorite actors. I was convinced he could pull it off as soon as I heard they cast him, especially after watching Revolutionary Road (speaking of which, Sam Mendes would've made a great director for this movie, with his affinity for social commentary).

However, I don't trust Baz Luhrmann. Why's he in the Chair? I haven't seen Moulin Rouge! (which is critically acclaimed) but Romeo + Juliet was little more than a pointless but fun exercise, and Australia was a colossal failure financially (Hugh Jackman was the saving grace). Hopefully he really spreads his wings with this one.

Tobey McGuire should make a great Nick Carraway, with his aims-to-please and close-to-fawning demeanor; and Joel Edgerton looks like the perfect Tom. Carey Mulligan has that pixieish look that Daisy exemplifies, too.

I did not read the entire trilogy but it is on my list.

I found the choice of director for Gatsby curious as well but from the Trailer I have seen for it, it looks pretty well done (small sample size :) ). I thought that a more physically imposing choice could have been made for Tom, as he is supposed to be such a striking figure according to the book.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#5 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 05:55 AM

Hunger Games. :P

Personally, I am an English student and during the summer i go into snooze mode. After writing essays and research papers throughout the college school year I'm pooped and just want to watch baseball in peace.

Since this is a thread about books we are reading... I just started the Game of Thrones series. The show left me with so many questions i decided to just read all the books.

#6 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:00 AM

Personally, I am an English student and during the summer i go into snooze mode. After writing essays and research papers throughout the college school year I'm pooped and just want to watch baseball in peace.

Since this is a thread about books we are reading... I just started the Game of Thrones series. The show left me with so many questions i decided to just read all the books.

Did you start with the first book (I know people who started on the second after watching the first season, or the third after watching the second - flawed reasoning IMO, but to each his own)? How do you like the series so far? I find it it to be infinitely better than the show, though by no means due to HBO's fault. They simply can't fit all the characters and details in, and of course, the book has the huge advantage of allowing the reader to be privy to the POV character's thoughts.

#7 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 24 June 2012 - 06:11 AM

Did you start with the first book (I know people who started on the second after watching the first season, or the third after watching the second - flawed reasoning IMO, but to each his own)? How do you like the series so far? I find it it to be infinitely better than the show, though by no means due to HBO's fault. They simply can't fit all the characters and details in, and of course, the book has the huge advantage of allowing the reader to be privy to the POV character's thoughts.

You have to start with the first book! Im only a couple of pages in, but yes, the books will always be better than the tv show or movies. Its just such a tough job for a director and his crew to get everything right-- down to the character looks and actions. This will always be the case for books are edited time and time again sometimes for years before they are even published.

I love the limited third person POV. We dont get much of that in the tv show and the insights of many of the characters make their development that much more round. Ill let you know how i like it once i finish the book.

#8 id10t

id10t

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,637 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:59 PM

World War Z...been on a zombie kick for a while.
WWZ is decent so far, much better than The Zombie Survival Guide...but not nearly as good as the Day by Day Armageddon books.
Also read through the entire The Walking Dead series.

Edited by id10t, 27 June 2012 - 12:06 AM.

10 Team Yahoo League - 20 man Roster - .5 PPR - Start - 1 (QB, TE, WR/TE, DST, K), 2 (RB, WR)

QB - Wilson, Roethlisberger, Palmer; RB - Lacy, Ball, Bush, Gore, Ingram, Starks; WR - Allen, A. Johnson, T. Smith, T. Austin, Bowe, Hopkins, Gordon; TE - Reed, Walker; DST - Seattle; K - Walsh

13 Team Yahoo League - 23 man Roster - 7 Player Keeper* - Points Based - Start - 1 (1B, 2B, SS, 3B, C, RP), 2 (Util), 3 (OF), 4 (SP)

C - Posey* (1B); 1B - Gonzalez*, Carter (OF), Butler; 2B - Cano*; SS - Reyes*; 3B - Ramirez; OF - Gomez*, Gordon, Dickerson, Duda (1B); SP - Wainwright*, Samardzija, Fister, Gee, Stroman, McCarthy, Locke, Latos, Koehler, Hammel, M. Gonzalez; RP - Rodriguez

4/20 - Traded Dickey for Straily/Morrow (ugh)
8/17 - Traded Yelich, Hahn, Danks for Butler, Latos, Koehler, Lincecum

#9 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,828 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 05:49 AM

Batman: Earth One coming in today. So psyched. B)

#10 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,216 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 10:39 AM

just ordered The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford, by Ron Hansen. The movie is spectacular, IMO one of the best of the last 5 years, though if anyone's looking for a shoot-em-up western this isn't it. It's a slow, brooding, and overall very melancholy look at James and his once-hero worshipping and future assassin, Robert Ford. Brad Pitt (who's said it's the best movie he ever made and he might be right, everything from the cinetography to the acting to Nick Cave and Warren Ellis's soundtrack are top notch) is good but Casey Affleck as the pathetic Ford steals the show, at times he's so good portraying the loser gimp he's hard to watch. Anyway still haven't read the book but know Hansen is a great writer, in my undegrad English days I worshipped his short story collection "Nebraska" so can't wait till novel arrives.
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#11 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:50 PM

Im a Fantasy genre ultra nerd, and have been reading the Game of Thrones books since the first one came out. Having read them all before the show ever was a thought, I tip my hat to em. Seriously had to have been a ridiculously hard transition. Love that they havent changed too much in the story line. Low point for me was the battle on the water, dumbed that scene down a bunch. However I will say they pretty much nailed it in casting for just about every major character, overall im very impressed. Fellow SF/Fantasy fans who think this is a complicated story should read the Robert Jordan series. His Wheel of Time books are amazing, and make the character complexity of George RR Martin seem like Red Fish/Blue Fish (Seriously, I pride myself on never referencing the index/glossary but good luck, insane amount of major characters). And as always I believe everyone should read the Dune series at least once. (yes, INCLUDING the new ones published post-death, they've carried it on awesomely)

Im STOKED to see Harrison Ford in the upcoming Enders Game movie adaptation as well. (Orson Scott Card authored) OSC is a diff sort of cat, Enders Game is one of his best. WARNING: as the series progresses it gets worse, one book at a time. But EG is a great stand alone read.

My Super Sleeper pick is Patrick Rothfuss, new author to the genre and has an ongoing series thats 2 books deep so far. Dude's the next big thing.

Terry Goodkinds Sword of Truth is also a Fantasy staple, too bad WGN had to do that $hit mini series (Legend of the Seeker) TERRIBLE CHEESY TV adaptation of some really good books. You will feel like you know the characters personally after reading this series.

Cool Thread gentlemen, I dont make it to Off Topic near enough!

Edited by WahooManiac, 17 August 2012 - 10:50 PM.

Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#12 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,563 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 10:53 PM

My nonfiction vote goes to anything written by Jared Diamond, esp Guns, Germs, and Steel. That should be required reading in all high schools IMO
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa. -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life. Take your pick. -Thomas Boswell

#13 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:18 PM

Any other readers out there? I've always loved dystopian novels. Got hooked in HS with 1984, Fahrenheit 451, Brave New World, etc.
I teach English, so read a lot of the young adult stuff (Hunger Games, Divergent, Maze Runner, etc.).
Currently reading A Thousand Splendid Suns, the follow up to Kite Runner (a phenomenal book if you haven't read).
Biographies, sports books....what are you reading?

Edited by The Harsh, 03 July 2013 - 02:49 PM.
Merged with existing thread.

**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#14 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:22 PM

Currently reading Mysteries of Pittsburgh

#15 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:41 PM

I'm in the third book of the George RR Martin series "A Song of Ice and Fire" which is what HBO adapted to make the show Game of Thrones. Just now getting past the material that comprised season three so getting ahead of those who are waiting for it to be on HBO.

#16 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • 5,957 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 02:51 PM

Glad to see the discussion has picked back up!

I'm rereading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas just because it's a fun trip (heh) into the twisted mind of HST. Gotta love the witty commentary toward (the illusion of) the American Dream...

I'm thinking about tackling Ulysses next. I've always underappreciated Joyce (having only read Dubliners and Portrait, both of which were sublime) and want more exposure. Has anyone read it? I hear it's pretty tough.

#17 Bruin17

Bruin17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,730 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:11 PM

I'm in the third book of the George RR Martin series "A Song of Ice and Fire" which is what HBO adapted to make the show Game of Thrones. Just now getting past the material that comprised season three so getting ahead of those who are waiting for it to be on HBO.

They added some content from books 4 and some from 5 into season 3. The timelines in books 4 and 5 run simultaneous in many situations, and catch up to a singular timeline later in book 5. Fantastic books though. Hopefully book 6 isn't as long of a wait as book 5 was.
MLB 12 Team H2H Mixed League (Points W/L) 5 Keepers under 50 salary + 1 Rookie/Minor League Keeper for 0 salary [Salaries in ()]

C - Lucroy (8)
1B - Pujols (10)
2B - Altuve (8)
3B - Miggy (23)
SS - Desmond (9)
OF - McCutchen (19), Gomez (4), Holliday (10)
DH - Byrd (1)
Bench - Bogaerts (0), C. Davis, M. Adams
Minors - Bryant (0), Cron (0)
SP - Cueto (6), Iwakuma (7), A. Wood (1), Ross (5)
RP - Rosenthal (9), Uehara (8)
Bench - Gee (1), deGrom (1)

Batting: 1B:1, 2B:2, 3B:3, HR:4, R:1, RBI:1, BB:1, SB:1, CS:-1, HP:1
Pitching: INN:1, K:1, ER:-1, QS:3, W:8, L:-3, CG:3, CGSO:13, S:5, HLD:3, BS:-3

#18 dmb3684

dmb3684

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,022 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 03:14 PM

I want Game of Thrones to be on Netflix so badly, still haven't seen any of it.

#19 Backdoor Slider

Backdoor Slider

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,393 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:04 PM

Ah there was already a thread...nice!
Another great book I read recently was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's narrated by Death, and "he" tells the story of the Book Thief, a young girl who takes books and hoards them in Nazi Germany.
Other than the fact that it was yet another Nazi Germany/Jew story line, which is rather played out IMO, it was a very good story and unique read.
**Poster Formerly Known as 2Balls

Keep up to 7 (Lose round per keeper):

Goldschmidt
JFernandez
Bryce
Kipnis
CGomez
--------------
TFrazier
Teheran

C.Davis
Pence
CSantana
CHamels
DMesoraco

#20 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 03 July 2013 - 04:41 PM

Ah there was already a thread...nice!
Another great book I read recently was The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's narrated by Death, and "he" tells the story of the Book Thief, a young girl who takes books and hoards them in Nazi Germany.
Other than the fact that it was yet another Nazi Germany/Jew story line, which is rather played out IMO, it was a very good story and unique read.

That's one that the students at my school read as well. I have a copy, but haven't made it to it yet.