Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Jedd Gyorko - 2B/3B SD

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
104 replies to this topic

#1 mchaps55

mchaps55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:40 AM

Jedd Gyorko plays third base, 2nd base, & first base for the San Diego Padres Triple-A affiliate, Tucson.

Second base is probably the weakest position in the Padres' lineup, and it is only a matter of time before Jedd Gyorko gets the call up to the majors.

In 234 at-bats between Double-A and Triple-A, Gyorko has posted a slash line of .303/.376/.526 along with 13 home runs.

In 2011, Gyorko hit 25 home runs and stole 12 bases in the Padres' minor league system, so he has the potential fantasy value once called upon.

Chase Headley seems to have third base locked down in San Diego for the near future, so Gyorko will be without a spot with the big club unless he can focus on becoming a full-time second baseman.
Currently, Alexi Amarista plays second for the Padres. His statistics are underwhelming at best, though.
It's been just 43 at-bats, but Amarista has driven in just two runs while hitting .163/.182/.256.

One thing to keep in mind is Headley is involved in alot of trade rumors and it could moved to make room for Gyorko via 3B.
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Think Kipnis with less speed.  Guy can hit all over the place and has a Dan Uggla build with power potential evan in San Diego.

Edited by mchaps55, 18 June 2012 - 10:42 AM.

#2 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have always like Gyorko, and he can definitely hit.  If he can stick at 2B, he's well worth a speculative add.  I'd suspect he'll be up sooner rather than later.
I'm not buying the power talk though....the power has been there at Tucson, but I think he profiles more as a 12-18 HR guy rather than an Uggla type.  he definitely does not have light tower power....but I'm buying his hit tool.

#3 mchaps55

mchaps55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:05 AM

yes agreed on the power.  Down the road 3-4 years he can be a 25 hr type.  To add to the Kipnis comparison the speed is less but the batting eye is better and should sport a higher avg in the bigs.

#4 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

you are so right.. i see him as this year's lower ranked infield prospect.. like Kipnis was last year.. this kid can do everything.. hit for average, power... he is very polished being a college player as well... very seasoned... i can't wait to grab him...  i could see him as a Dustin Pedroia.. bat .300 15 hr's 80-85 RBI's.. it just depends if he plays 2nd or third... they have cory splangendberg at second.. so i'm assuming third once chase headly is shipped...

Edited by ABostonFan, 12 July 2012 - 11:16 AM.

#5 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

this guy is playing great.. no one is talking about him on here

#6 mchaps55

mchaps55

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:21 PM

Gyorko's Triple-A numbers rival Rizzo's of 2011-Special Player

LOS ANGELES — Terry Kennedy thinks Jedd Gyorko might be a special type of ballplayer.
“I’m impressed,” the manager of the Padres Triple-A affiliate said Friday as he discussed the 23-year-old infielder who is either giving the Padres some interesting options or forcing them to make a decision. In 51 games with the T-Padres since being promoted from Double-A San Antonio, Gyorko has hit .344 with 15 homers and 54 RBI(21 total AA). Last season, through 50 games with Tucson, first baseman Anthony Rizzo had 16 homers and 61 RBI. Impressive numbers by both players. But there things about Gyorko that Kennedy favors over Rizzo.

“When he first got here from San Antonio, I didn’t think Jedd’s defense was ready for the major leagues,” said Kennedy. “He’s changed my mind. He is smart like a fox. Show him something one time and he has it.

“His defensive play at second and third is getting better. He does a good job on charging the bunt. He’s getting more comfortable on the pivot at second. His speed is probably a little below average, but he’s a smart baserunner. He’s a smart player. He knows how to bring what he has into play. I see improvement daily.”

What the 5-foot-10, 195-pound Gyorko does best is hit. And Kennedy believes the Padres second-round pick in the 2010 draft out of West Virginia University might be special in that area.  Gyorko’s average has climbed the closer he gets to the major leagues.

“I think he’s one of those players who improves as a hitter with the better pitchers he sees,” said Kennedy. “As you advance in the minors, the pitchers are better. They throw more strikes. Jedd has a nice approach and great coverage of the strike zone.

“I think he has a bright future. Outside of power, I think he has the potential to be a better hitter than Rizzo.”   
The emergence of Gyorko at Tucson gives the Padres some interesting options. Counting Gyorko, the Padres current have four infielders

– Gyorko, Alexi Amarista, Logan Forsythe and Everth Cabrera – to cover three positions should they decide to trade Chase Headley for help elsewhere. Both Gyorko and Forsythe can play third and second.

Edited by mchaps55, 16 July 2012 - 12:31 PM.

#7 avatoot

avatoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:10 PM

I agree. He should be getting more exposure and is almost a definate callup once Headley gets traded. Yahoo has him as a 3B but with his versatility could allow him to play 2B some. I for one think that he will strictly play third when called up. He has actually done much better in AAA than AA. He is a right handed hitter which I believe is better than being a lefty at PETCO. We should know within the next 2 weeks if he is coming up for everyday play. If Headley doesnt get traded I still see him still getting a September call up. It depends on your need at 3B but if you have the room I would stash him. Kid sounds like he can do it all.
12 Team H2H Cats 8X8 $League
Hitting Categories: R. HR. RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: W, SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
C -   C. Santana

1B - V. Martinez
2B - Kinsler
3B - Sandoval
SS - Holt

OF - Blackmon
OF - Pence

OF - Yelich
Util - K. Vargas
Util - J. Harrison
BN - McCann, Granderson, Trumbo
SP - Greinke, Kershaw, Cueto, Hudson, Kuroda, Eovaldi, Holland, K. Hendricks
RP - K. Jansen, Rosenthal, C. Janssen, Petricka
NA - Heaney
NA - Pomeranz
DL - Darvish

#8 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:12 PM

Unless he plays 2B the Petco factor will make him a mediocore own, especially in his early career.

#9 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

you think the petco factor is the only going to make him a mediocore own at 3B?. I kmow it will zap the power.. but c'mon.. this guy is a pure hitter.. he can do everything.. i like him much more than i ever did Yonder Alonso... I feel like he is a better hitter than Jason Kipnis minus the steals... maybe 20-25 homeruns... with a .315 average.. i would take that anyday.. of course he will never be longoria or Rodriguez but i can see him having more power than Nolan Arenado.. who projects as a pure hitter type.. that is, when he does hit...

#10 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

View PostABostonFan, on 16 July 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

you think the petco factor is the only going to make him a mediocore own at 3B?. I kmow it will zap the power.. but c'mon.. this guy is a pure hitter.. he can do everything.. i like him much more than i ever did Yonder Alonso... I feel like he is a better hitter than Jason Kipnis minus the steals... maybe 20-25 homeruns... with a .315 average.. i would take that anyday.. of course he will never be longoria or Rodriguez but i can see him having more power than Nolan Arenado.. who projects as a pure hitter type.. that is, when he does hit...

I could see him being like an Edgardo Alfonzo. 20-25 HRs at Petco is probably wishful thinking, though. I'm looking forward to his call up for two reasons:

1) I'd like to see what he can do.

2) Chase Headley's value will increase exponentially once he's out of Petco.

Edited by Posting In The Clutch, 16 July 2012 - 05:37 PM.

I remember one evening in the pouring rain
And in my heart there was an aching pain
Fare thee well, my honey, fare thee well

#11 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

As a third 3b he will be nice. good for his value off the waiver wire.. at 2b he could be top ten at that position right away...

#12 blinkfan77

blinkfan77

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:24 PM

Just found out about this kid. What's the earliest anyone could see him coming up? Days? Weeks?
{16 Team H2H Points}

C.  Vogt
1B. Frazier
2B. Gordon
3B. Longoria
SS. Rollins
LF.  Carter
CF.  Kemp
RF. Stanton
Util. Morneau

DL: Tulowitzki
DL: Pollock

Bench:Bryant

SP. Fernandez, Kershaw, Hamels, Gray, Wheeler, Pineda, Kohler,Paxton, Miller, Milone

RP. Robertson Betances, Benoit, Feliz, Familia,

#13 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 09:30 PM

View PostABostonFan, on 16 July 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

I've just seen it happen too many times. Not to say hes not a good player but top hitting prospects come up in SD and just arent very valuable in fantasy. We have seen it with Headley who has been a decent own this year 10/10 but not a star or someone I would target in fantasy. Same thing with Alonso and Rizzo. Someone mentioned it above, if Headley was traded I would love to own him but the Petco factor is very real.

#14 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 11:58 AM

i know about the petco factor.. but a guy can be really great there too.. just don't write him off...

#15 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 12:48 PM

View PostABostonFan, on 18 July 2012 - 11:58 AM, said:

i know about the petco factor.. but a guy can be really great there too.. just don't write him off...

he can be, but i'm not buying the power in general.  from what i remember, gyorko is more of a gap to gap type of hitter.  power numbers have been great, but as someone who is a solid line drive hitter....and playing in big time hitter's leagues....you have put that into account.  25 HR last year is great, and 47 2B is phenomenal.  this year, those 2B have played down a bit, with power still there (21HR).  however, tucson is a launching pad....as are half of the fields in the Cal League (where he played 1/2 year in 2011).  I'm not saying he's not going to be very good.  On the contrary.  I've been about as big of a Gyorko fan as there is out there since he was in college.  However, I think his hit tool is what is going to give him the biggest boost in production.  In Petco, those power numbers won't play, but the BA will.  He's a .300/15 guy....and that I'll take any day as a 2B.

#16 King Felix

King Felix

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:21 PM

Anybody in the know as to what his likely position is? Could be an extremly valuable guy as a 2B, .300/10-15 isn't horrible for a 3B either, but he's plus plus at 2nd

#17 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 03:47 PM

View PostKing Felix, on 18 July 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

Anybody in the know as to what his likely position is? Could be an extremly valuable guy as a 2B, .300/10-15 isn't horrible for a 3B either, but he's plus plus at 2nd

He's a 3B by trade.  Was in college, was his first year in pro ball, and was last year.  He played one game at 2B in 2010, and none there last year.  I'd bank on him still being a 3B in the bigs

#18 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:09 PM

i'm guessing 3b.... they have the top rated, high drafted 2b prospect in spanglenberg in the low minors.. so probly 3b....  

let's rank the 3b prospects in the minors close to the show.. we will not count Nolan Arenado, Miguel Sano, Anthony Rendon... whom are the best but clearly not ready. I could also put Mike Olt in that group but he is the most ready out of them all.....

Third  Base
1. Jedd Gyorko
2. Nick Castellanos
3. Josh Vitters

Second Base (So thin....)
1. Kolton Wong

Edited by ABostonFan, 18 July 2012 - 04:10 PM.

#19 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:12 PM

Pads contemplating moving Headly to the OF to accommodate Gyorko at 3b.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#20 ABostonFan

ABostonFan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:19 PM

am i crazy or do you see this guy being what Dustin Ackley should be...