Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Matt Ryan 2012 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
361 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,965 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

Where will Matt Ryan fall this year in the QB field. As of now I think it's fair to say most people see him as a low Tier 2, high Tier 3 QB. From what I have seen in mocks he is going around 6-8th round. I'm sure everyone has heard that the Falcons plan on throwning the ball more this year and with the two guys they got out wide I don't see why they wouldn't. Burner Turner is flaming out and they have one of the most dynamic young receivers in Julio Jones.

Where do you see Ryan finishing up this year and do you having faith in him being your QB 1 at the value he is going?

#2 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:41 AM

he's the QB i target in the 6/7th. dome team with 2 of the best WRs in the league and a good TE

if the reports are true and they are throwing more ... could make a run at top 5 QB this yr ... I don't see much drop off from a guy like Romo that goes 2-3 rounds earlier

Ryan/Ben/Cutler ... pretty sure most of my teams will have some combo of those 2

#3 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

I'm not certain I'd say top 5 with all the competition at that tier in the position, but I think he's certainly a lock for top-10 if he has a good season, and if he has a career year / gets in a lot of shootouts, his *upside* is that he could definitely fall just outside the top 5. Which is basically what you're looking for when you take a QB late. I like Ryan/Luck/RGIII/Palmer/Cassel/Bradford as late round QB's, in that order.
2014 Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 14-Team 0.5 PPR + ALL TDs = 6PTs:

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#4 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 05:03 PM

He finished as the 8th best QB in the league the 2010/2011 seasons. His rankings those years were 13th and 14th overall. He is shaping up to be extremely valuable because most ranks I have seen don't even have him in the top 10 (to be fair he sits 11th most of the time). Considering that his draft spot is in the middle rounds his profit potential is exponentially high... Oh and they plan to feature him and the passing game more, so there is more than just standard growth potential aswell.
I play fantasy sports

#5 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 July 2012 - 06:46 PM

I believe they tried to feature him and the passing game last season, then his offensive line led the league in sacks given up early in the season? That's my biggest known reason for not intentionally targeting him and forgoing QB early.

_____STARTING LINEUP_______________.............._____BENCH_______________________
QB : Matthew Stafford.......(03.13)............. WR - Malcom Floyd.........(14.14)
RB1: Montee Ball............(01.13)............. WR - John Brown...........(UD.FA)
RB2: Arian Foster...........(01.11)............. WR - Cody Latimer.........(13.09)
WR1: Brian Quick............(14.08)............. RB - Toby Gerhart.........(02.02)
WR2: Allen Hurns............(UD.FA)............. RB - Bernard Pierce.......(07.14)
TE : Kyle Rudolph...........(06.02)............. RB - Latavius Murray......(13.12)
FLEX1: Justin Forsett.......(UD.FA)............. RB - Devonta Freeman......(09.01)
FLEX2: Steven Jackson.......(04.02)............. RB - CJ Anderson..........(09.11)

#6 STCL

STCL

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:16 PM

This guy has been moving steadily up my draft boards the last 2 weeks. Call me crazy, but I am thinking about putting him as the #7 QB behind Rodgers/Brady/Stafford/Brees/Newton/Eli. A few quick thoughts on why he is above some of the other guys he is being compared to:

Ryan over Romo: This is about as close as you can get. I think if they each play 16 games, the stats will be nearly identical, as both have 2 stud WRs and are on teams that throw the ball. However, Romo has missed a few games in 2008 and 2010 and is 32 whereas Ryan is still only 27 and seems to be entering his prime. Very close call.

Ryan over Rivers: I think these guys careers are heading in opposite direction mostly because, at this point, Ryan's weapons are just a lot better. If you are not convinced, take a look at their comparative schedules in the playoffs: Ryan plays at Panthers week 14, home against Giants week 15, and at Lions week 16. Rivers is at Pitt week 14, home against Carolina week 15, and at Jets week 16. YIKES.

Ryan over Vick: Don't get me wrong, Vick has upside to be the #1QB. Ryan does not. But Vick has played in 16 games exactly ONCE in his 9 seasons. If you are betting on him to stay healthy now, when he's 32, then by all means...
Team 1 2012 10 Team Sportsline H2H PPR $150 League (2012 Superbowl champ, 2011 Superbowl runner up)
QB:  RG3
RB:  Jammal Charles, Chris Johnson
WR:  Djax, Antonio Brown
RB/TE/WR Flex: Larry Fitz
TE:  Greg Olsen
D:  Stream
K: Stream
Bench:  RG3, Rashad Jennings, Knile Davis, Michael Crabtree, Jordan Cameron

Team 2 2012 10 Team Sportsline H2H PPR $235 League (WON SUPERBOWL IN 2011)
QB's: RG3, Flacco
RB's: Vareen, Chris Johnson
WRs: Dez, Garçon, T.Y. Hilton,
TE:  Jared Cook
WR/TE Flex:  Harry Douglas
D's:  Seahawks, 49ers,
K's: Prater, Vinatieri
Bench: Alf Morris, Jordan Reed, Heath Miller, Roddy White, Kirk Cousins

#7 falcons

falcons

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

targeting him as my backup qb. he should hit his stride this year with a new oc.

murlarkey treated him like he was mark sanchez.

#8 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:33 PM

All signs pointed to breakout last year...and he nearly killed everyone who leaned on him.

Then he came on towards the end. Sorta.

I'll give him one more go around, but only in a committee.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#9 mr_fantasypants

mr_fantasypants

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 04:37 PM

He's the kind of guy that you pair with another similarly rated QB as a co-number one or high end number two. Then stick with whichever one breaks out.

P. Manning/Ryan
Ryan/Cutler
Ryan/Schaub

#10 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

All signs pointed to breakout last year...and he nearly killed everyone who leaned on him.

I highly disagree with your definition of 'killed'. A Top 8 producer 'killed' your team?
I play fantasy sports

#11 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,679 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 05:37 PM

I highly disagree with your definition of 'killed'. A Top 8 producer 'killed' your team?

It was a 16 teamer that I actually ended up winning, but I started out in a major hole. So...no he didn't kill my team...but he killed my boner, according what I thought he was going to do. My hopes were too high.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#12 Blu Exile

Blu Exile

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 06:22 PM

This is a case of a QB that sucks in real life, but will be good for fantasy. He has a perfect situation with a lot of talent around him, but dude is kind of garbage. He's the type of QB that will score his talented team exactly 0 points in a playoff game. (Defense scored them 2 though vs the Giants)

With that said this bum has ended up on some of my teams during mocks. His game is so ugly that I will probably end up drafting RG3 or Big Ben though.

#13 Lebowski87

Lebowski87

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 686 posts

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:20 AM

He's been falling late in drafts, and I'd be more than happy to pick him up as he always seems to put up really good numbers in the regular season. I know he was hyped pretty hard last year and the team didn't really perform to expectations, but now they are becoming even more of a passing team and he should finish with another strong season.

I think right now my dream scenario is to get Vick in round 6 and Ryan in round 8. I play in a 10 team league and the mocks I've done have Ryan slipping really late. I wouldn't mind pairing either of those two with Ben or Schaub either. THis could be a very good year to wait on QB's yet again.
10 Team PPR League- Two Time Champ
QB- Foles
RB- Ball, Gerhart
WR- D Thomas, Nelson
TE- Gronk
Flex- Roddy White
K- Dawson
DEF- Jets
Bench- Cutler, R Jennings, F Jax, Heath Miller, T Williams.

#14 RMJ_12

RMJ_12

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,036 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:19 PM

This is a case of a QB that sucks in real life, but will be good for fantasy. He has a perfect situation with a lot of talent around him, but dude is kind of garbage. He's the type of QB that will score his talented team exactly 0 points in a playoff game. (Defense scored them 2 though vs the Giants)

With that said this bum has ended up on some of my teams during mocks. His game is so ugly that I will probably end up drafting RG3 or Big Ben though.

good luck with that

#15 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:26 PM

Matt Ryan will not be this year's Matthew Stafford (2011). Maybe more like Ryan Fitzpatrick 2010.

#16 jfuchs91

jfuchs91

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 449 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 01:41 PM

Matt Ryan's situation this year reminds me a little bit of Matt Stafford's going into last year: a great receiving core and an offense that looks primed to pass a lot. Having said that, Ryan isn't as talented as Stafford, nor does he have Calvin Johnson (though I do love me some Julio Jones).

Last year, I kept grabbing Stafford late knowing that I was getting an elite QB. Ryan will probably end up on a lot of my teams as I prefer to draft skill positions ahead of QBs and he'll be a good value, but I'll keep my expectations in check.

Edited by jfuchs91, 07 July 2012 - 01:42 PM.

#17 Br0kenB

Br0kenB

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:12 PM

I agree with the guy who said a lot about Ryan being a lot worse in the real game than in fantasy. He's going to throw a lot of interceptions but he is also going to throw a lot of scores.
Bullets Fantasy Hall of Fame;
2013 - Retirement
2012 - Greg Zuerlein [K - STL]
2011 - Calvin Johnson [WR - DET]
2010 - Mike Williams [WR - TBB]
2009 - Ray Rice [RB - BAL]
2008 - Matt Forte [RB - CHI]
2007 - Brian Westbrook [RB - PHI]
2006 - Steven Jackson [RB - STL]
2005 - Rudi Johnson [RB - CIN]
2004 - Muhsin Muhammad [WR - CAR]
2003 - Peyton Manning [QB - IND]
2002 - Priest Holmes [RB - KC]

#18 DocJ

DocJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,245 posts

Posted 07 July 2012 - 09:39 PM

I'll bite on Ryan if I wait on QB and he falls into the 8th but holy hell, if he doesn't take another large step forward this season with White, Jones year 2, HOF TE and more pass friendly offense in a dome, he'll never sniff top tier QB status.

2014 RW Mock Real League: 14-team, 0.5 PPR, All TDs 6 pts
***Follow along this season in the "Your League" forum on RW***
Record: 2-4

QB: Nick Foles (8.09)
RB1: Frank Gore (5.06)
RB2: Lamar Miller
WR1: Julio Jones (2.09)
WR2: Roddy White
W/R/T: Keenan Allen (3.06)
W/R/T: Golden Tate (7.06)
TE: Heath Miller (10.09)
DEF: DET DST
K: Robbie Gould
Bench: Calvin Johnson (1.06), Carlos Hyde, Harry Douglas (11.06), KaDeem Carey (14.09), Big Ben, Carson Palmer, James White (12.09), Eli Manning (13.06), CLE DST (15.06), Danny Woodhead (6.09), Steven Hauschka, K, SEA (16.09)

#19 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,403 posts

Posted 08 July 2012 - 08:51 PM

I didn't realize how Jekyl/Hyde his season was last year. Threw one touchdown in so many straight games at the beginning of the year, but piled on the TDs and yards in the second half. I'll probably target him in my 14-teamer.

#20 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 12:31 AM

The potential is there, but I think Matt Ryan still has the biggest potential to be a bust out of all the QB's. Massive upside, massive downside, it would seem if you look at his passing yardage totals for each game last season.