Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Goran Dragic 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
668 replies to this topic

#1 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

https://twitter.com/...172546652381185

If this update is accurate, it seems the Rockets really need to turn this off-season around. Stock-piling the picks left them with a glut of big men and it looked like they were dealing Lowry. Now they can't unless they have something big planned.

Dragic back to Phoenix would be interesting.

Edited by nickalero99, 03 July 2012 - 11:20 AM.

#2 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,542 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

https://twitter.com/...172546652381185

If this update is accurate, it seems the Rockets really need to turn this off-season around. Stock-piling the picks left them with a glut of big men and it looked like they were dealing Lowry. Now they can't unless they have something big planned.

Dragic back to Phoenix would be interesting.

He should wait to see what Deron and Nash do......He may be a good fit in Dallas, although his defense would come under fire......
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#3 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:14 PM

Dragic back to Phoenix is good because he obviously learned a lot from Nash and would run the team almost like he did. Signing OJ Mayo or a scorer like him would also help.

It's something about Phoenix that I just can't put my finger on as to why they are not winning. Maybe they need a big-time scorer to carry the load, like Eric Gordon...maybe

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#4 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:29 PM

Dragic back to Phoenix is good because he obviously learned a lot from Nash and would run the team almost like he did. Signing OJ Mayo or a scorer like him would also help.

It's something about Phoenix that I just can't put my finger on as to why they are not winning. Maybe they need a big-time scorer to carry the load, like Eric Gordon...maybe

Or maybe it's because they play no defense?
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team Standard (0-0-0)
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Julio Jones, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace
RB - Eddie Lacy, Rashad Jennings
TE - Jordan Reed
Flex - Ben Tate
K - Dan Bailey
DST - Philadelphia (Stream)
Bench - Jeremy Hill, DeAndre Hopkins, Jarrett Boykin, Danny Woodhead, Jonathan Dwyer*, Josh Gordon*

* - Waiver pickup
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Reuben Randle
RB - LeSean McCoy, Ben Tate
TE - Kyle Rudolph
Flex - Joique Bell
K - Shayne Graham
DST - Philadelphia* (Stream)
Bench - Bernard Pierce, Jarrett Boykin, Knowshon Moreno, Cody Latimer, James Starks, Jonathan Dwyer*

#5 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,854 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:43 PM

Sounds reasonable. Never watched their games just their stats.

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#6 morphiend

morphiend

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:44 PM

i'm pretty big on dragic for the upcoming season. it's almost a lock he's going to start wherever he goes and he's shown that when he gets the time he can put up awesome numbers.

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,542 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:51 PM

Or aren't that talented......Nash was elite offensively but slowing down. Gortat is a solid player and very friendly in fantasy but they don't have a lot, other than some role players......

They need to tear it down to get good again.....

#8 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,893 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 12:53 PM

Or aren't that talented......Nash was elite offensively but slowing down. Gortat is a solid player and very friendly in fantasy but they don't have a lot other than some role players......

They need to tear it down to get good again.....

Even when they were making all of those playoff runs 5-10 years ago, they still weren't good defensively in a team sense. They cared more about running the opposing team out of the building. It's exciting to watch but you have to be able to get some stops eventually to win a title.
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Julio Jones, Randall Cobb, Mike Wallace
RB - Eddie Lacy, Rashad Jennings
TE - Jordan Reed
Flex - Ben Tate
K - Dan Bailey
DST - Philadelphia (Stream)
Bench - Jeremy Hill, DeAndre Hopkins, Jarrett Boykin, Danny Woodhead, Jonathan Dwyer*, Josh Gordon*

* - Waiver pickup
QB - Matthew Stafford
WR - Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Reuben Randle
RB - LeSean McCoy, Ben Tate
TE - Kyle Rudolph
Flex - Joique Bell
K - Shayne Graham
DST - Philadelphia* (Stream)
Bench - Bernard Pierce, Jarrett Boykin, Knowshon Moreno, Cody Latimer, James Starks, Jonathan Dwyer*

#9 Thats Ridiculous

Thats Ridiculous

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 01:04 PM

Phoenix would make good sense because he is familiar with that system already. And the coaching staff.
And they don't care about defense over there, so he won't be scrutinized.
Plus, like others have said, he was a fan favorite over their.

#10 rico381

rico381

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 03:24 PM

Agree with Patrick Bateman. Their problem is that they need better players, plain and simple. Besides Nash and Gortat, who are good but not great, do they have anyone who is definitely above-average on their team?

Even when they were making all of those playoff runs 5-10 years ago, they still weren't good defensively in a team sense. They cared more about running the opposing team out of the building. It's exciting to watch but you have to be able to get some stops eventually to win a title.

Phoenix wasn't actually that bad defensively in the middle of the decade. They played fast, so both teams got more possessions, but they were always right around league average in points allowed per possession, between 13th and 17th every season. Since Marion and D'Antoni left in 08, though, and the Suns have been one of the league's worst teams defensively every year since, never ranking better than 23rd.

#11 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:37 PM

It's funny how Lowry was considered a top tier PG early last season and now everyone is wanting to run him out of town so that Dragic can start. I am not questioning this perspective but just noting how quickly things changed.

#12 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:52 PM

It's funny how Lowry was considered a top tier PG early last season and now everyone is wanting to run him out of town so that Dragic can start. I am not questioning this perspective but just noting how quickly things changed.

In fantasy, Lowry was a top-tier PG. In reality, Lowry is above average, but not elite. I like Lowry and am not sure why Dragic got the favor so quickly when the lines weren't much different. Initially I assumed that it was Dragic's higher FG%, but when I look at the stats, Lowry despite the lower FG% has a higher efficiency rating due to getting to the line more and shooting a higher percentage on 3's. Morey has been known for his belief in efficiency which clashes with the pick of Dragic. Now they sign Lin to an offer sheet. Not sure what is going on in Houston.

If I were the GM, I let Dragic walk and give Lowry the run of the offense again. Maybe it has to do with x's and o's. Lin is a great pick and roll PG, do the Rockets want to become a pick-and-roll offense?

#13 mfvenom

mfvenom

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,072 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 12:22 AM

Signing with Phoenix. 4 yrs/$34 million

http://espn.go.com/n..._A_ErBsSFBeXQDw

Edited by mfvenom, 05 July 2012 - 12:23 AM.

#14 Thats Ridiculous

Thats Ridiculous

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:35 AM

So they lost Steve Nash but they gained a young worthy replacement in Goran Dragic.

#15 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 10,777 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 01:48 AM

Dragic finds his way back to the Suns after being traded a couple years back, the irony :lol:
Anyways, Dragic is going to beast like how he was beasting when he got the starting gig last year. Phx is a perfect fit for him even though they drafted another good PG in Marshall.

#16 nomidi

nomidi

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 06:55 AM

Dragic is going to be a monster in PHX...the TO's are going to be up there but he has the ability to drop elite #'s in PPG/3PTM/AST/STL and above average FG%/FT%.

#17 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,765 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:49 AM

I complain a ton about the crazy deals a lot of these middle tier players get, but this is a deal I love. 8.5 Mil for Dragic is going to look like a steal as soon as next year. He does just about everything you would want for a pg. The PHX fans (if there are any out there) should be pumped. I'll be targeting Dragic in all my leagues next year, perhaps as early as the third round.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#18 mbroo5880i

mbroo5880i

'07 It's Madness Champ

• Established Members
  • 5,207 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:04 AM

I have read nothing to suggest that the Rockets will match the offer. If that is the case, it sounds like the Rockets are planning to hang onto Lowry and make a bid on Lin. I wonder what they will offer Lin and how that will compare to what Dragic is going to get. I guess I am just curious as to why they wouldn't match Dragic's offer and look to make a trade involving either him or Lowry rather than let him walk. I realize that he commands more $$ than Lin but I think I would prefer Lowry (or Dragic) plus a lesser PG and other players over Lowry and Lin. If even Lowry and Dragic, if they can't trade one of them.

As mentioned, maybe the Rockets have some big deal in the works, but right now their moves don't seem to make much sense.

Edited by mbroo5880i, 05 July 2012 - 08:07 AM.

#19 LeeVanCleef

LeeVanCleef

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,360 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:39 AM

I have read nothing to suggest that the Rockets will match the offer. If that is the case, it sounds like the Rockets are planning to hang onto Lowry and make a bid on Lin. I wonder what they will offer Lin and how that will compare to what Dragic is going to get. I guess I am just curious as to why they wouldn't match Dragic's offer and look to make a trade involving either him or Lowry rather than let him walk. I realize that he commands more $$ than Lin but I think I would prefer Lowry (or Dragic) plus a lesser PG and other players over Lowry and Lin. If even Lowry and Dragic, if they can't trade one of them.

As mentioned, maybe the Rockets have some big deal in the works, but right now their moves don't seem to make much sense.

I agree. It seems the Rockets are the ones who are getting screwed here. I love Lowry but we all saw what Dragic could do leading the team. Give the guy his money, the starting job and trade Lowry for viable pieces. Then possibly trade Kmart as well (so frustrating what they did to him towards the end of the season).
12 Team - Yahoo Dynasty League 2014

QB: Ryan Fitzpatrick
WR: B. Marshall, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Kelvin Benjamin, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Arian Foster, Rashad Jennings, Joique Bell, Jerick McKinnon, Knile Davis, Christine Michael
TE: Gronk, Julius Thomas, Travis Kelce

12 Team - Yahoo League 2014 (10th pick)

QB: Tom Brady
WR: Dez Bryant, AJ Green, Emmanuel Sanders, TY Hilton, Andrew Hawkins, Davante Adams
RB: Rashad Jennings, Shane Vereen, Danny Woodhead, Steven Ridley, Kniles Davis, Isiah Crowell
TE: Zach Ertz
DEF: San Diego
K: Vinatieri

#20 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,542 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 09:54 AM

The Suns are making some interesting moves. With Dragic, if they get Gordon (sign and trade?) then they've bought their starting backcourt with talented rookie, Marshall, and solid vet, Dudley, backing them up. Not a big fan of the Beasley signing. He may be a decent fantasy option but he's not a great NBA option as he stops the ball and plays with little efficiency. I actually don't like what they're doing. They would be just good enough to be one of the best lottery teams or a perennial first round exit team. Just good enough to be not good enough......