56 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 07 August 2012 - 09:13 AM

3 scoreless innings last night in his pro debut. Anybody have any idea of what his ceiling is?
Bring back Ray!

#2 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:20 AM

So what's the word on this guy? Seems like a solid player with upside.

Edited by The Harsh, 03 March 2013 - 03:46 AM.
Removed rhetoric that may lead to BC discussion.

c evan gattis
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee
bn kris bryant stephen vogt dominic brown carl crawford dl prince fielder

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p neal cotts p tanner roark bn wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka

#3 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 01:41 PM

All depends on whether or not he can develop a quality off-speed besides his excellent changeup / very good FB combo.

Right now, he's got a plus-FB, plus-plus changeup, great makeup, and he's still young. He also has the great bulldog mentality and apparently is very coachable - traits that got him picked ahead of the higher-tools pitchers this draft. Because he's faced college bats at a high level and done well, his floor is much safer than the HS pitchers with greater tools.

Most scouts see him as a SP2 ceiling with a SP3-4 workhorse floor. Think a better version of James Shields because the FB plays up better. In order for him to ascent to the Gerrit Cole, true-college-SP1-ace ceiling, the slider/curve has to develop.

Bundy/Gausman are a great 1-2 punch, and in some ways, Gausman is more likely to have an earlier impact because of his development - but he's more limited in ceiling than the traditional top picks of the draft unless he gets the 3rd pitch. If he can - then he's already got the awesome changeup to go with his plus FB.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#4 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 976 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:07 PM

All depends on whether or not he can develop a quality off-speed besides his excellent changeup / very good FB combo.

Right now, he's got a plus-FB, plus-plus changeup, great makeup, and he's still young. He also has the great bulldog mentality and apparently is very coachable - traits that got him picked ahead of the higher-tools pitchers this draft. Because he's faced college bats at a high level and done well, his floor is much safer than the HS pitchers with greater tools.

Most scouts see him as a SP2 ceiling with a SP3-4 workhorse floor. Think a better version of James Shields because the FB plays up better. In order for him to ascent to the Gerrit Cole, true-college-SP1-ace ceiling, the slider/curve has to develop.

Bundy/Gausman are a great 1-2 punch, and in some ways, Gausman is more likely to have an earlier impact because of his development - but he's more limited in ceiling than the traditional top picks of the draft unless he gets the 3rd pitch. If he can - then he's already got the awesome changeup to go with his plus FB.

Spot on, I will add on that there were a number of very positive reports on his SL coming out of instructs at the end of last season. I would love to see some of him in spring training to see how the pitch is developing.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty (OBP/QS)
2014- League Champion
C- Brian McCann, Evan Gattis
1B- Eric Hosmer , Miguel Cabrera (3B)
2B- Anthony Rendon, Dustin Ackley
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Alcides Escobar
3B- Nolan Arenado
OF- Cargo (DL), Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman,Kevin Gausman, Homer Bailey (DL), James Paxton, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood
RP- Drew Storen, Kenley Jansen,Cody Allen,

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#5 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 03:20 PM

Would u guys say zimmer or wacha project as better fantasy sp than him?
c evan gattis
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p neal cotts p tanner roark bn wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka

#6 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,191 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:28 PM

Would u guys say zimmer or wacha project as better fantasy sp than him?

+1. I'm also interested in this.

Edited by The Harsh, 05 March 2013 - 02:53 PM.
Removed BC content.

#7 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 08:12 PM

ZIMMER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth

#8 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,379 posts

Posted 08 March 2013 - 02:19 PM

Can gausman develop into a sp1 maybe by the end of this season. I have seen him ranked as high as #[11 on some prospect lists.
c evan gattis
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden

#9 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,319 posts
  • Interests:most importantly, enjoying my 14 grandkids.

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:23 PM

The Gausman cometh.
Time for a bump with the news he may not be long in the minors. Team is considering a call up, we've all seen the Birds be aggressive with their prospects, Machado and Bundy from last year.
“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it". author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#10 BxBOMBERs28

BxBOMBERs28

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,778 posts

Posted 01 May 2013 - 06:25 PM

Kevin Gausman - S - Orioles

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal writes that Kevin Gausman "might not be in the minors much longer."

Gausman has a 3.77 ERA but a nifty 29/1 K/BB ratio in 28 2/3 innings at Double-A Bowie this season, numbers he's compiled after making a strong impression in spring training. The Orioles are searching for a No. 5 starter and are likely to turn to Freddy Garcia next, but Gausman might not be far behind. He's thrown just 43 2/3 frames at the pro level, but, as Rosenthal notes, O's general manager Dan Duquette was aggressive with promotions last season, calling up both Manny Machado and Dylan Bundy. Gausman is worth stashing in deeper formats

#11 Sternes

Sternes

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,561 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 09:48 AM

If it wasn't for you guys I would have missed this. I just checked on him two days ago and read this....

Orioles prospect Kevin Gausman had a season-high eight strikeouts in his start Sunday with Double-A Bowie.
He gave up just one run on five hits and threw 94 pitches. Gausman has a 3.77 ERA and 29/1 K/BB ratio in 28 2/3 innings at the Double-A level. It's an impressive start to the season, but the Orioles will continue to let him get more seasoning in the minors. He's still not close to making his MLB debut. Apr 29 - 2:28 PM

Source: MASN.com

Edited by Sternes, 02 May 2013 - 09:48 AM.

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

I also believe it won't be too long. Arrieta/Britton are almost certainly gone for good this time, leaving Freddy Garcia with a shot for the role After him, it may be Gausman. TJ McFarland may get a shot at it before him, but the point is that Gausman is just 1 or 2 people away from the bigs.
Bring back Ray!

#13 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:41 PM

The Orioles still have a few pitchers to go through before they call up Gausman. Freddy Garcia will be next and then it will probably be Steve Johnson or Jair Jurrjens. Then of course, give more chances to Arrieta and Britton. If the Orioles are still in the hunt with the back end of their rotation in shambles and Gausman is pitching lights out, you will see him get called up late July/early August. It wouldn't surprise me to see him before then given the recent way the Orioles have promoted prospects, but I don't think it is likely.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#14 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 03:12 PM

The Orioles still have a few pitchers to go through before they call up Gausman. Freddy Garcia will be next and then it will probably be Steve Johnson or Jair Jurrjens. Then of course, give more chances to Arrieta and Britton. If the Orioles are still in the hunt with the back end of their rotation in shambles and Gausman is pitching lights out, you will see him get called up late July/early August. It wouldn't surprise me to see him before then given the recent way the Orioles have promoted prospects, but I don't think it is likely.

This is true in terms of the candidates ahead of Gausman, but there could also very possibly be an injury in addition to the parade of starters for the #5 spot. Arrieta and Britton are done. They're not major league starters, at least this season. They can't pitch deep into games, which is something Showalter can't stand.

I think Steve Johnson is the man for the fifth spot. It's a shame he was injured to start the season or he might have already been called up and saved the Orioles a couple of losses. Garcia will get called up and destroyed, and Jurrjens and his 88 mph fastball will prove he's also done. But between the fifth spot and the possibility of an injury, I think Gausman gets called up in late May or during June.

Edited by Oriole Way, 02 May 2013 - 03:13 PM.

• baltimore_boy likes this

#15 PepperPot

PepperPot

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,239 posts

Posted 02 May 2013 - 04:10 PM

This is true in terms of the candidates ahead of Gausman, but there could also very possibly be an injury in addition to the parade of starters for the #5 spot. Arrieta and Britton are done. They're not major league starters, at least this season. They can't pitch deep into games, which is something Showalter can't stand.

I think Steve Johnson is the man for the fifth spot. It's a shame he was injured to start the season or he might have already been called up and saved the Orioles a couple of losses. Garcia will get called up and destroyed, and Jurrjens and his 88 mph fastball will prove he's also done. But between the fifth spot and the possibility of an injury, I think Gausman gets called up in late May or during June.

Well to be fair, none of our starters pitch deep into games right now. Like I said, Gausman getting the call when you said wouldn't surprise considering that I did not see Manny getting the call last year and Gausman has the most upside of what options we currently have. Garcia isn't a good pitcher and likely will get destroyed, but the guy provides innings...which they desperately need. I don't think his stint in the rotation will be all that short. Jurrjens is trash, but I still think he will also get a shot before Gausman. I have said before, that I am not a fan of Steve Johnson and I believe his fly ball ways will get him killed in the ball parks he will frequent...but hopefully he could be better than what Arrieta and Britton have provided so far. And if Arrieta has a couple more starts like his first one in Triple A, he will get another chance. Do I think he will do anything with that chance? No, and I was hopeful for him this year. But I also don't think the Orioles will give up on him yet.

I hope Gausman would bypass all the busts and retreads we are going to throw out there in our starting rotation, I just don't see it happening as quick as others. I hope I am wrong, I really do.
14 Team PPR Dynasty Keeper League

Starters

QB: Andrew Luck
RB: Gio Bernard & DeMarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, A.J. Green & Julio Jones
TE: Dennis Pitta
DEF: Patriots
K: Adam Vinatieri

Bench

QB: Alex Smith
RB: Ahmad Bradshaw, Bryce Brown, Devonta Freeman, Fred Jackson, Christine Michael, Lache Seastrunk & C.J. Spiller
WR: Davante Adams, Aaron Dobson, DeAndre Hopkins, Justin Hunter & Cody Latimer
TE: Kyle Rudolph & Luke Wilson

#16 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:16 PM

Gonzalez placed on DL... A shot at a call up?
No Days Off

#17 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

There are still guys in front of him. I doubt it will be yet, but it can't be ruled out with Duquette. I don't think anyone thought Machado was coming last year when he did. I'd expect McFarland or someone from AAA to get a shot for the 2-3 turns that Gonzalez will miss.
Bring back Ray!

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:08 PM

There are still guys in front of him. I doubt it will be yet, but it can't be ruled out with Duquette. I don't think anyone thought Machado was coming last year when he did. I'd expect McFarland or someone from AAA to get a shot for the 2-3 turns that Gonzalez will miss.

Thanks for the info. I saw that Gonzalez should return when eligible as well so I don't think it will be Gausman just yet. I would like to see it though.
No Days Off

#19 Oriole Way

Oriole Way

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,609 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

Looks like Steve Johnson will be coming up this weekend. Once Gonzalez comes back, I hope Johnson replaces Garcia once Garcia inevitably starts to struggle. After that, it would take another injury or Johnson struggling, then the O's would probably give Jurrjens one shot, then it would be Gausman. Still think Gausman could be up late this month since I could see more than one O's starter being hurt at the same time.

Edited by Oriole Way, 09 May 2013 - 04:27 PM.

#20 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:42 PM

Looks like Steve Johnson will be coming up this weekend. Once Gonzalez comes back, I hope Johnson replaces Garcia once Garcia inevitably starts to struggle. After that, it would take another injury or Johnson struggling, then the O's would probably give Jurrjens one shot, then it would be Gausman. Still think Gausman could be up late this month since I could see more than one O's starter being hurt at the same time.

I also want Johnson to succeed. I've brought him up a few times on here, and been told his fly ball tendency won't ever be successful in the bigs, but it worked last year. To me, the rotation should be Hammel, Chen, Gonzalez, Tillman, and Johnson when everyone's healthy, with Gausman being the next replacement should an injury occur.
Bring back Ray!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users