Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Michael Wacha SP STL

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
195 replies to this topic

#1 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:02 AM

Cards 2012 first round pick

Completely dominating his competition.

16IP 29K 2BB

Started out in low A.  Was recently promoted to AA where he, in his first appearance, pitched 3 innings, walked 1 and struck out 6.

Edited by crotchcrickets, 20 August 2012 - 09:03 AM.

#2 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,504 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 09:29 AM

View Postcrotchcrickets, on 20 August 2012 - 09:02 AM, said:

Cards 2012 first round pick

Completely dominating his competition.

16IP 29K 2BB

Started out in low A.  Was recently promoted to AA where he, in his first appearance, pitched 3 innings, walked 1 and struck out 6.

Good report. He is being added to my list as someone to follow in AA. First appearance is a good sign but lets see more.

#3 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 10:14 AM

Looks like the writers for Rotoworld have been browsing the minor league forum.....

Cardinals prospect Michael Wacha tossed three hitless innings Sunday in his debut at Double-A Springfield.
Wacha fanned six batters, looking completely dominant in the short relief outing. The 2012 first-round draft pick is already sky-rocketing through the Cardinals' system and should open 2013 in the Springfield rotation after finishing out this season in relief to preserve his arm. The 21-year-old right-hander is worth keeping an eye on.

#4 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 21 August 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postcrotchcrickets, on 20 August 2012 - 10:14 AM, said:

Looks like the writers for Rotoworld have been browsing the minor league forum.....

Sometimes I think they would be well-served to do so more often. ;)
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#5 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 02:19 AM

Stole this from someone who saw Wacha first hand tonight:

Michael Wacha 2 scoreless innings 1H 2BB 4K. Wacha now has 2BB and 29 K in 16.0 IP (GCL,PMB, and SPF combined). Wacha was sitting 90-94 consistent touched 95-96 couple of times had good movement on his FB also displayed a curve-ball with tight break and 12-6 action that ended up in the dirt a few times. Wacha showed some maturity pitching out of a bases loaded jam with 1 out in the 8th inning without giving up any runs by blowing a 92 MPH fastball for a strikeout to end the inning.

#6 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 10:10 AM

Keep this guy on your radar as someone who could be up as early as this year.  I imagine he'd prolly start in the bullpen, however.

Yadi Molina declared him ready for the big leagues TODAY.

Cards 2012 1st round pick - 3 plus pitches with a fastball that tops out at 97mph.

He threw an absolutely filthy breaking ball yesterday that made whoever was batting look completely stupid.

#7 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 28 February 2013 - 11:31 PM

No way he starts in the pen. Only reason he was relieving in 2012 is cause the Cards didn't want to push his workload after he had already pitched 113 innings in college already along with the 25 or so he pitched in the minors. He was regarded as one of the more polished starters coming out of the draft so seeing a fast ascent like this is not surprising, but the k/9 is.

Here is a link to his 3ip 5k performance yesterday...

http://mlb.mlb.com/v...630587&c_id=mlb

He was pitching against the Mets starters and Yadier Molina was quoted after the game saying that he is ready for the bigs now. The Cards are drunk with SP prospects with Shelby, Martinez, Rosenthal and now Wacha.

#8 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 08:58 AM

It's not unsual for the Cards to bring their top arms up and put them in the pen to get their feet wet...see haren, waino, miller, rosenthal, etc.

There is simply no room for him in the rotation at the moment, but if he continues to dominate the minors, they will have no choice but to bring him up.

#9 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:37 PM

So does this have a chance to make an impact this year?
c stephen vogt
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee
bn kris bryant jesse winker dominic brown  dl prince fielder  dl carl crawford dl evan gattis

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka

#10 avatoot

avatoot

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts

Posted 03 March 2013 - 02:44 PM

Per Rotoworld:
The Cardinals are not considering Michael Wacha as part of the competition for the No. 5 spot in the rotation.

A first-round pick in last year's draft, Wacha has looked terrific in his first two Grapefruit League appearances, striking out eight and walking no one while allowing just an unearned run over five innings. Pitching coach Derek Lilliquist said he "could see Wacha contributing" at some point this season, but they're not ready to throw him into the competition with Shelby Miller, Trevor Rosenthal and Joe Kelly. He had been slated to begin the year in the High-A rotation, but it's possible he'll now go to a higher level. Mar 3 - 8:50 AM

Good to see that stat line this early in Spring Training while alot of pitchers are getting blasted. Cards are loaded with young quality pitching.
12 Team H2H Cats 8X8 $League
Hitting Categories: R. HR. RBI, SB, TB, AVG, OBP, SLG

Pitching Categories: W, SV, K, TB, ERA, WHIP, K/9, QS
C -   McCann

1B - V. Martinez
2B - Kinsler
3B - Sandoval
SS - Segura

OF - Blackmon
OF - Granderson

OF - Yelich
Util - C. Santana
Util - Holt
BN - David Murphy, J. Harrison, Fowler, Betts
NA - Joc Pederson
SP - Darvish, Greinke, Kershaw, Cueto, Kuroda, Eovaldi, Kennedy, Heaney
RP - K. Jansen, Rosenthal, C. Janssen
NA - Jon Gray
DL - D. Holland
DL - Wacha

#11 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 02:29 PM

Michael Wacha impressed again Monday, pitching 2 2/3 scoreless innings and striking out three against the Twins.
Wacha has fanned 11 while allowing just an unearned run in 7 2/3 innings this spring. The Cardinals have ruled him out for a spot on the Opening Day roster, but it's going to be tough to keep him down for long if he keeps throwing like this. Mar 4 - 4:00 PM

Is this guy a sneaky good pick in a minor league draft? How does he compare to Kevin Gausman?

#12 imnottheonly

imnottheonly

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:29 PM

View Postrag9876, on 05 March 2013 - 02:29 PM, said:

Michael Wacha impressed again Monday, pitching 2 2/3 scoreless innings and striking out three against the Twins.
Wacha has fanned 11 while allowing just an unearned run in 7 2/3 innings this spring. The Cardinals have ruled him out for a spot on the Opening Day roster, but it's going to be tough to keep him down for long if he keeps throwing like this. Mar 4 - 4:00 PM

Is this guy a sneaky good pick in a minor league draft? How does he compare to Kevin Gausman?

Wacha is closer to the big league's than Gausman. Gausman ultimately has a high ceiling because his pure stuff is better but Wacha is much closer to being a finished product.  He is a good pick because I think he has a comfortable floor of a #3/4 starter but his upside is limited to probably a low-end #2, he still needs work on his breaker but he projects with above average command and two plus pitches (not unlike Gausman). In a dynasty I would lean Gausman, in a limited keeper or re-draft Wacha is definitely ahead.
6x6 H2H 12 Team Dynasty- 5th year

C- Brian McCann
1B- Eric Hosmer
2B- Anthony Rendon
SS- Jurickson Profar(DL), Asdrubal Cabrera, Alcides Escobar
3B- Miguel Cabrera, Nolan Arenado,
OF- Cargo, Alex Gordon, Jason Heyward, Michael Brantley, Marcell Ozuna, Oswaldo Arcia (DL),

SP- Cole Hamels , Yordano Ventura, Jordan Zimmerman, Homer Bailey, Tony Cingrani, Zack Wheeler, Alex Wood,   Derek Holland (DL),
RP- Sergio Romo, Kenley Jansen, Casey Jannsen,  Cody Allen, Drew Storen

Farm Team- Carson Kelly, Maikel Franco, Jake Marisnick,  Michael Choice, Matt Wisler, Lucas Sims, James Paxton, Kevin Gausman, Raimel Tapia, Franklin Barretto, Nick Williams, J.P. Crawford, Jesse Winker

#13 MrMartyBarrett

MrMartyBarrett

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 04:40 PM

It'll be interesting to see which of the Cards starting prospects actually stay with STL.  Rosenthal, Miller, Carlos Martinez, and Wacha all have very high ceilings....and lots of value for teams looking to trade off people at the deadline.  Of the 4, Wacha likely has the lowest ceiling....but it's still considerable.

#14 rasto21585

rasto21585

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 05 March 2013 - 06:55 PM

I would probably lean towards gausman. Higher ceiling and less competition in the major league level.
c stephen vogt
1b miguel cabrera
2b neil walker
3b evan longoria
ss ian desmond
lf justin upton
cf austin jackson
rf oscar taveras
util casey mcgehee
bn kris bryant jesse winker dominic brown  dl prince fielder  dl carl crawford dl evan gattis

sp garret richards
sp clayton kershaw
sp cliff lee
rp neftali feliz
rp jacob degrom
rp jordan walden
p brian wilson p wily peralta Bn drew pomeranz bn ryan volgesong dl masahiro tanaka

#15 rag9876

rag9876

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,017 posts

Posted 07 March 2013 - 10:57 AM

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak said Thursday that while prospect right-hander Michael Wacha is "unlikely" to make the Opening Day roster, he has "opened eyes" this spring and deserves more innings.
Wacha, last year's first-round pick, has an 11/1 K/BB ratio over 7 2/3 innings this spring and has only allowed an unearned run. The 21-year-old right-hander is better off getting more seasoning in the minors for now, but he's clearly on the fast track to the majors.

#16 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM

Another 2ip 1ha 0bb and 2k pitched today.

For those that can't add we are up too a 13k and 1bb over 9 2/3 ip.

#17 biggedge

biggedge

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:47 PM

View Postthejamman, on 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

And as his reward was reassigned to minor league camp the same day.  Haha.  Not a surprise or anything, but still...

#18 Tito Taco

Tito Taco

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 07:33 PM

i call him WACHA WACHA like fozzy bear.

#19 thejamman

thejamman

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 08:49 PM

It was expected. I think he starts in AA, but wonder if he gets bumped to AAA because of his spring performance. I was wrong with the stat line anyways. He finished Mlb spring training with 11.2ip 7ha 0er 15k 1bb. I know people have been projecting his as a low end #2, but if he keeps this up we might be talking about another future ace for the Cards. Their minors system is absurd. Wished I lived closer to the Texas and Pcl leagues to view them live.

#20 crotchcrickets

crotchcrickets

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,652 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 07:47 AM

View Postbiggedge, on 14 March 2013 - 06:47 PM, said:

View Postthejamman, on 14 March 2013 - 06:41 PM, said:

And as his reward was reassigned to minor league camp the same day.  Haha.  Not a surprise or anything, but still...

He hasn't started a game at the pro level yet.

He'll be up some time this year.