Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Rotoworld Football Content Feedback ThreadWorst Year Ever?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
14 replies to this topic

#1 rubberchicken

rubberchicken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 08:05 AM

Let me first state that rotoworld.com is by far, and has been for close to a decade now, my absolute favorite and most frequent internet destination. The depth of coverage, variety, and promptness of the columns and updates are really nothing short of amazing.

That said, there is one minor thing that I've noticed over the years that kind of makes me double take: I will sometimes see a projection or speculation about a player in one place that is contradicted or not supported in some way elsewhere on the site. I think this is normally fine since there is a team of writers that all provide their own perspective...actually differing perspectives can be a really useful thing. However, the area that sometimes frustrates me is when the misalignment presents in something a bit more structured such as suggestions for weekly player adds and the subsequent player rankings for the week or for the rest of the year. If you are still interested I'll proceed to present a topical example.

This week's football waiver wired had Hankerson as the #1 WR pick up. And it had Greg Little listed in the "Cut Bait" section. Yet this week Little is ranked as the #50 WR and Hankerson #55. Now don't get me wrong, I know there are matchup considerations and whatnot...but to me when I'm being told that it's ok to cut somebody if there are better options available I'd expect the #1 WR add for the week to be a better option just about every single week than the guy I'm dropping. And if you dig a little deeper you see Hankerson facing a so far weak Tampa Bay defense (given up the second most fp to WR so far this season). So if Hankerson isn't a better option than Little in a week when there is only one worse secondary (so far) that  could be facing, why in the world would he be rated as the #1 WR pick up in waiver wired and Little listed as a cut bait? Additionally, you could make an argument that they made the recommendation based on Hankerson's potential going forward. Right now he's the 'Skins #1 receiver with Garcon out, this can go both ways but I think it's more likely that Hank's value is hurt than helped by the return of Garcon. So again, I just don't see the reasoning here.

I know this is just one example of mixed signals and you might not even agree with my reasoning about this one example I have presented, but I've seen this countless times in both baseball and football coverage. I don't expect the entire site to always be in agreement about every player but with something as fundamental as the week's top pickups and the the subsequent weekly rankings, I'd expect a better alignment.

Edited by Patrick Bateman, 21 December 2012 - 12:31 PM.

12 Team PPR
QB (1) - RGIII
RB (2) - Charles, Gore
WR (2) - VJax, Nelson
Flex (1) - Bernard, Andre Brown, Ellington Hunter, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd
TE (1) - Gronk, Reed
D/ST (1) - Giants
K (1) - Gostkowski

#2 rubberchicken

rubberchicken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 11:55 AM

I just took a look at today's update of the "Top 200 Going Forward" for season pass subscribers and I'm left scratching my head...

Why is that Wesseling told us to drop Little and pick up Hankerson yet Little is ranked #117 going forward and Hankerson #182. This is more than a little bit out of alignment here. And looking at the rest of that top 200 list I see a lot of things that don't make sense but I don't want to get into them because they don't speak to this particular topic that I've addressed here so far.
12 Team PPR
QB (1) - RGIII
RB (2) - Charles, Gore
WR (2) - VJax, Nelson
TE (1) - Gronk, Reed
D/ST (1) - Giants
K (1) - Gostkowski

#3 rubberchicken

rubberchicken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:10 PM

I think I understand the basic premise of the Waiver Wired column...just because he says to pick somebody up doesn't mean that you should drop anybody to make the add. But I think it's a fair to assume that dropping a guy on his "cut bait" list for a guy on his "should be owned in 12 team leagues" list should result in adding a player with greater projected value for the rest of the season. An almost 80 player rank difference between these two in which the guy we were told to drop is ranked better is a bit hard to wrap my head around.

I'll leave it here because I don't want to come across bitter or angry. I'm really not upset and would prefer to leave this as the suggestion it is supposed to be for improvement. I'd sum it up by saying that it might be a good idea to try to keep the message more uniform or else it's hard to feel like you have a credible source of information to act on. And if there are going to be inconsistencies, acknowledge them and explain the source of any such discrepancies. Thanks for listening!
12 Team PPR
QB (1) - RGIII
RB (2) - Charles, Gore
WR (2) - VJax, Nelson
TE (1) - Gronk, Reed
D/ST (1) - Giants
K (1) - Gostkowski

#4 The Harsh

The Harsh

I like .webms.

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 02:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback, rubberchicken, but you hold a common misconception: that the main site and forums are a conjoined entity. There is no commonality between the two apart from representation of the Rotoworld brand. The columnists, writers, and editors rarely - if ever - come to the forum, and I can assure you that even if they do, they don't take more than a cursory glance towards it; they definitely don't look at it for feedback or material.

Again, the main site and forum are two separate mediums - we have no control over the professional material written. In fact, I haven't been on the main site more than a handful of times in my multi-year stay on these forums. I find the content as bemusing as you do.

You are free to use this as a vessel for criticism, but you will find that it will have an infinitesimal impact. If you truly want to buzz the ears of the writers, I encourage you to go to the main site (www.rotoworld.com), log in to your account (it's a separate account from your forum username), click on the "Contact/Help" tab, and fill out a report there.

Again, thank you for your concern. We uphold the quality of the forums to the best of our ability, and only wish for our Rotoworld peers to do the same. Unfortunately, we cannot wrest that condition from them, so your best bet is to use the appropriate medium to reach them.
Are the Rotoworld forums lagging for you? Please report the issue here: http://www.rotoworld.com/about/help.aspx. It's the best way to force a change!

#5 rubberchicken

rubberchicken

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 26 September 2012 - 03:55 PM

Oh, ok. Well I guess I should have read a little bit more about what the purpose of this particular forum was. Thanks for letting me know. I was originally going to post this for discussion amongst other forum goers on a different subforum but then I saw this thing labeled feedback and thought it should go here instead.

Thanks for the pointers on how I could reach out to those that have control over the content of the rotoworld site itself. Very much appreciated!

Edited by rubberchicken, 26 September 2012 - 03:57 PM.

12 Team PPR
QB (1) - RGIII
RB (2) - Charles, Gore
WR (2) - VJax, Nelson
TE (1) - Gronk, Reed
D/ST (1) - Giants
K (1) - Gostkowski

#6 aintgonnahappen

aintgonnahappen

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:44 AM

I love the site in as much as its been good, mainly, for football purposes over the past few seasons for me.  But this season has been a train wreck by ALL the experts that rotoworld has offered up.  That Patrick Daugherty guy is absolutely a train-wreck with his picks and advice - anyone read his live chats?  Absolute crap.

I wont list all the instantces where rotoworld went wrong, but lets look at the draft guide.  How many players were they right on?  Im not sure they were right on ANY as far as where they should be drafted concerning RBs!!!!  Ryan Mathews?  DMC?  AP?  Marshawn Lynch?  Wrong on ALL those top players..they had it backwards on every count.  

I JUST recieved the new rotoworld daily dose and the guy there (Adam Levitan) said he doesnt beleive in injusy prone players??!!!  WHAT? Here's a quote from him tonight - "It's clear that Mathews isn't the dominator I and many others thought he was. But never again? Nah."  Ok dude..go ahead and draft that scumbag.  Hes allllllllll yours.  And heres the quote that brought me here - And as the poll showed, a lot of this never again stuff comes down to the idea of "injury prone." Is there really such a thing? I don't believe it,"....."  This guy needs a Rob Parker type sit down....He's lost if he doesnt think injury prone players exist.

Whats going on this season Roto?  Id prefer you admit the bad season instead of carrying on like you knew what was going to happen all along.  You've shown yourselves to be better thatn this rotoworld.  Come on.

BTW, Im not just some guy upset over a bad season, Im in the playoffs and playing for 3rd place in our league mainly due to the stength of my keepers, but rotowold sure scrwewed me this season..bad.  Bad, bad, bad.  I jockeyed more this season than I can ever remember just to stay alive.

You wanna ban me rotoworld for venting..go ahead.  

Frank Booth

#7 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,375 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 07:47 AM

If you read their stuff, read twitter, read a lot of threads, read recent NFL history, read game footage, read your instincts . . . and make autonomous decisions based on that knowledge . . .  you won't ever have to feel like this again.
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#8 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:12 AM

It's more of a kudos to I think Greg Roesenthal...

The other guys were just as bad as all the other experts around the world. So do as Proteus says and put a little less emphasis on RW guidance.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#9 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

View Posttucker26, on 21 December 2012 - 08:12 AM, said:

It's more of a kudos to I think Greg Roesenthal...

The other guys were just as bad as all the other experts around the world. So do as Proteus says and put a little less emphasis on RW guidance.

Or they were just as good. Glass is half full.

#10 sott3

sott3

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,483 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 08:48 AM

I use RW as just another resource. I agree that they flamed out on some draft picks, but so did everyone (TMR was hyping Brandon Lloyd as a top WR). The only thing I noticed about RW this year is their ongoing love for their picks even when it was obvious things weren't going to work out (Matthews, David Wilson). But I think they are still the top FF news site on the web.
Team A - Yahoo Standard Scoring (4 pts per pass TD)
QB: M.Stafford
RB: E.Lacy, D.Martin, R.Rice, D.Woodhead, M.Ingram
WR: Julio Jones, T.Smith, E.Sanders, E.Decker, J.Hunter, H.Nicks
TE: J.Witten
K; M.Bryant
DST: Cincinnati

Team B - Yahoo Standard Scoring (6 pts per pass TD)

Follow Me on Twitter @sott3

#11 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 09:19 AM

View Postsott3, on 21 December 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

I use RW as just another resource. I agree that they flamed out on some draft picks, but so did everyone (TMR was hyping Brandon Lloyd as a top WR). The only thing I noticed about RW this year is their ongoing love for their picks even when it was obvious things weren't going to work out (Matthews, David Wilson). But I think they are still the top FF news site on the web.

Yeah, this drove me nuts as well. It occasionally works out (they stayed strong in their love for Julio), but often just looks silly.

#12 cowbell204

cowbell204

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:03 AM

View Postsott3, on 21 December 2012 - 08:48 AM, said:

This to a T. I use rotoworld for injury updates and the message boards. I look at the articles but I don't consider their opinions to be gospel.

#13 shypri

shypri

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:16 AM

Evan Silvas matchup feature every week is by far the most useful rotoworld stuff for football. Way better than the rankings and blurbs. I use it successfully for prop betting as well.
10 team league (includes OPS and BB for hitters, K/BB and QS for pitchers)

C : Santana
1B: Freeman
2B: Carpenter
3B: Miggy
SS: Peralta
IF: LaRoche
LF: Choo
CF: Puig
RF: Heyward
OF: Stanton
UTI: Crisp
UTI:Aramis

SP: Verlander, Cobb, Lester, Fister, Kennedy, TyRoss, Stroman, Miley, Odorizzi
RP:  Rosenthal, Robertson, Doolittle, Allen

#14 StuPitt

StuPitt

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I can not complain.  This site as been great.  I hope they change nothing.  They're people like us.  They give their opinions.  We don't always agree, but if people's opinions always matched ours than their would be no point of reading anything.  Keep up the great work Rotoworld!  Some people love to complain.
10 Team Redraft League (one UTIL spot)
C   Buster Posey
1B Víctor Martínez, Matt Adams
2B Robinson Canó
3B Kyle Seager
SS Hanley Ramírez
OF Matt Holliday, Matt Kemp, Josh Hamilton, Ben Revere, Corey Dickerson
SP Justin Verlander, Jered Weaver, Hyun-jin Ryu, Jake Arrieta, Alex Wood, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP Rafael Soriano, Santiago Casilla, Sean Doolittle, Cody Allen

#15 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,768 posts

Posted 21 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

I think the OG posters point is that there is clear drop off from this year to all the years prior. And I agree, an I still hold this site as #1 resource.

But it's clear they have taken a step back without Rosenthal.

I don't know how they do the rankings but think they should do a conglomerate as opposed to one mans opinion (if that's what they do). I noticed a couple chats where one of their writers was asked about the rankings and they responded that it was not their rankings.

So, that. Hey, RW, your not going to replace Rosenthal with one dude so open it up to all your writers covering FFB. Plus, it will pinpoint and outline and give more exposure to your writers.