Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Gordon Hayward 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
118 replies to this topic

#1 TheOneAboveAll

TheOneAboveAll

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:55 PM

Currently ranked 135th on Yahoo. ADP is in the 120's.He placed 62nd last season on Yahoo. 104th on BBM for the whole season but 45th in the last month and 60th in the last 2 months. Good value imo. A true sleeper.

Anyone else thinks this is his breakout season? I mean he doesn't have much competition at 2 AND 3. Marvin Williams, Alec Burks, Carroll and Foye are simply fillers that were acquired cheap. Corbin can go on about 'fighting for minutes' but I think it's pretty clear who's on the lead.

#2 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 06:39 PM

Anyone interested in hayward should be very aware of alec burks. Kid is very talented as a real life player and the staff loves him. He's a legit 2 way player. As for Hayward I have doubt if he will ever put it all together. He's going to be low in the pecking order especially now that they added a legit scoring of in Mo Williams. At best, Hayward is the 4th option after al j, milsap, mo will. Not many 4th options are ever fantasy relevant
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#3 w00funk

w00funk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 07:19 PM

I agree with Alec Burks - he's a sleeper, especially in deep leagues.  But as for Hayward, Hayward has the tools to be a great fantasy option despite being the 4th option because he has a very versatile fantasy game.  Hayward is a nice playmaker, and it helps that Mo Williams is not the greatest distributor.  I see Hayward having an outside shot at making the 1/1/1 club if given 30+ minutes, with nice percentages, decent boards/asts/points/TO.  Nothing spectacular, but certainly in top 100, and likely in top 75.  I'd pick him with confidence in round 7.

#4 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

I agree with w00funk. Hayward isn't the type of guy who needs to be the 1st or 2nd option to contribute. His versatile skillset allows him to contribute even when he isn't a focal point of the offense. Of course, it would be nice if that were the case though.

CoH does have a good point in Burks though. Foye and Williams will likely only get 20 minutes per, but that only leaves 56 minutes for Burks and Hayward. If Burks does emerge this season and warrants playing time, Hayward won't likely get that much of a PT increase from last season.

#5 And Won

And Won

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,489 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:25 PM

I think there is room for Hayward and Burks because there are 2 positions and that's IF Burks can put it together.

Hayward's ADP has been getting lower so just don't overpay, but expect more of the same from last year.

#6 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,383 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:30 PM

I would put Hayward in the 75-85 range. Same range as a guy like Kawhi.
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#7 BoredSam

BoredSam

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:18 PM

Not a lot of good coming from him in preseason. Everyone still like him? He's gone undrafted in my drafts. Can he get over 30 mpg?

Edited by BoredSam, 24 October 2012 - 03:18 PM.

#8 w00funk

w00funk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 957 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

View PostBoredSam, on 24 October 2012 - 03:18 PM, said:

Not a lot of good coming from him in preseason. Everyone still like him? He's gone undrafted in my drafts. Can he get over 30 mpg?

Undrafted?  I'd scoop him up ASAP if I were you.  He is a lock for 30+ minutes.

#9 milkoholic17

milkoholic17

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:25 PM

I agree. Unless your league is an 8 team league, scoop him up ASAP. He's in line for a big season, if not, at the very least a small improvement across all cats.

#10 Cool Guy

Cool Guy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:48 PM

Is he starting at SF or SG? Or what position does he typically play?

Burks, Foye, and the others does sort of sway me to not draft him.

really? I find him crap in real life, but decent for fantasy if you're punting TO's and FG%

I'll admit I've only watched about a few games worth of him though

#11 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 08:57 PM

View PostCool Guy, on 28 October 2012 - 08:48 PM, said:

Is he starting at SF or SG? Or what position does he typically play?

Burks, Foye, and the others does sort of sway me to not draft him.

Foye is looking less and less of a threat, and even though he's truly a hot-and-cold player, Hayward should be a much bigger priority for the Jazz. Hayward's main competition are Burks and Williams, but because of the positional versatility of all three of them, I don't think Hayward's in any trouble at all.

#12 Cool Guy

Cool Guy

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 534 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:21 PM

Ahh man.. my first option was Kirilenko, but he got picked up right before my pick, so I settled with Gordan.

11th round. 10 teams. 15 players

second half of last season look so promising.

Edited by Cool Guy, 28 October 2012 - 09:22 PM.

really? I find him crap in real life, but decent for fantasy if you're punting TO's and FG%

I'll admit I've only watched about a few games worth of him though

#13 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:22 PM

If you look at the Jazz preseason box scores none of the starters have played more than like 24 minutes. His April numbers last year were just phenomenal and he said earlier this year he wants to be an all-star, while I could see Burks playing more I think that Marvin Williams(who's been a bench player his whole career) would see his minutes cut before Hayward. If he get 30+ minutes he's easily in the top 50 IMO.
12 team roto, 9 cats(NO turnovers, 9th cat is double doubles)
PG: Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Augustin
SG: Korver, Ellis, Leonard
SF: Durant, Leonard, Middleton
PF: Millsap, Bosh,
C: Drummond, Hawes, Gortat

#14 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 09:32 PM

View PostTheWhiteMamba, on 28 October 2012 - 09:22 PM, said:

If you look at the Jazz preseason box scores none of the starters have played more than like 24 minutes. His April numbers last year were just phenomenal and he said earlier this year he wants to be an all-star, while I could see Burks playing more I think that Marvin Williams(who's been a bench player his whole career) would see his minutes cut before Hayward. If he get 30+ minutes he's easily in the top 50 IMO.

He got 30+ minutes last year but only managed #104.

Don't get me wrong, I love Hayward and know he's better than #104, but I'm not sure he can get to Top 50. Not yet, at least.

#15 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:53 PM

while I could see Burks playing more I think that Marvin Williams(who's been a bench player his whole career) would see his minutes cut before Hayward.

I really have no idea where you're getting that from, unless you mean you think he should be a bench player?? I checked his splits (not counting his rookie year where he started 7 games out of 79) Marvin Williams has started 372 of a possibly 408 games or 92% of games, and up until last year he only didn't start 14 games in 5 seasons.  I bring this up bc I think Williams is going to start every game at SF, and judging by the pre-season I really think they like him there & expect him to see about 32-35 min/g, right around his career starting averages (once again, not counting rookie year) of 12.5p/5.5p/1.5a/1st/0.5-3s/0.5b on 45%/82%.  If he keeps up numbers like those (or better even with his adding the 3PM to his game) then I think there aren't as many minutes to go aroud for Foye/Hayward/Burks.  This isn't something major, but worth thinking about when taking Hayward.  I still like Hayward alot & took him 9th round in my Y! PRO $100 league, but my advice would be don't over-draft him.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#16 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 28 October 2012 - 11:57 PM

i drafted him in the 8th round but it was a 15-teams roto.

I think he has more value in roto than H2H, so it really depends on which league u are competing in

Please comment on my team:
http://forums.rotowo...ms-roto-league/

#17 ajthurb23

ajthurb23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,110 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:47 AM

What is not to like about this kid? He is improving every year and he took a huge jump the last month of the season. He is starting to figure it out. He is also part of the young core that Utah is building around for the future. If you can get him after the 8th rnd I think you will be please with a nice value pick.

I see him getting 30+ minutes.

#18 chimera

chimera

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:06 AM

last year he finished 58, in espn 8 cat roto, mainly due to his all around game.  Most of his damage was done in april.  so they know what he can do when given time.  He's coming into the season with extra confidence from playing on the U.S. Select team and he's one of my guys i think can out perform his ADP by a lot.  Great value pick in the later rounds in your draft.

#19 nomidi

nomidi

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:36 PM

If Hayward can phase out Foye into a 15-20MPG bench player (likely) at the SG position and siphon some back-up SF minutes from DeMarre Carroll he can probably average right around 35MPG...with that I see no problem with him having a Wesley Matthews 2010-2011 season with more APG.

If everything shakes out right you could have a 16PPG/4RPG/4APG/1.5-3PTM/1.0SPG/2.0TO with good percentages player that contributes across the board without hurting you in any area. Even if his minutes become somewhat limited and he plays 28-30MPG he will still be a serviceable contributor probably averaging right around 11PPG/3RPG/3APG/1.0-3PTM/1.0SPG.

Edited by nomidi, 29 October 2012 - 11:37 PM.

#20 BoredSam

BoredSam

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

Was not expecting Marvin Williams to be the one to own out of him and Hayward.

Edited by BoredSam, 01 November 2012 - 02:09 PM.