Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

JJ Hickson 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
202 replies to this topic

#1 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,358 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:17 PM

Wesley Matthews said that J.J. Hickson is "playing at another level right now."
"He’s playing hard and he’s tough," Matthews said. "I can tell his skills have really developed." Last week coach Terry Stotts said Hickson is the favorite for the starting center job, but will compete with rookie Meyers Leonard. Hickson was fantastic down the stretch last year and has some sleeper appeal in fantasy leagues.
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#2 ilikebasketball

ilikebasketball

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:28 PM

He should produce decent value even if he's relegated to the bench, seeing as their frontcourt consists of 3 players and filler.

#3 Kawz

Kawz

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,866 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:18 PM

He's been on my radar since the trade last year
16 Team H2H 9 Cat Redraft League

G - Lance Stephenson, Caron Butler, Danny Green, Jeremy Lin,
F - Lamarcus Aldridge, Chandler Parsons, Thaddeus Young, Corey Brewer, Wilson Chandler
C - Al Jefferson, Spencer Hawes, John Henson, Jared Sullinger

#4 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:19 PM

Whether the coach likes it or not, there's simply not many good frontcourt options past Aldridge or Hickson. No matter how good Leonard turns out to be, Hickson is going to have quite a bit of minutes to work with this season. I'd definitely say he's a sleeper.

#5 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

Hickson is a sleeper for me this year, hes going to be getting 32-34 mins a game. I dont think Leonard will challenge him for starters minutes.
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#6 w00funk

w00funk

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 10:32 PM

He's definitely a sleeper, but when he is involved in the offense, he shoots a high FT volume at a horrid %.  Hopefully, he can keep up his FG% so he can maintain value, and if he can get 1+ blks, then he would definitely outperform his ADP.

#7 King.James

King.James

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,329 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 05:47 AM

Do you prefer him to Asik? (Overall production)
Yahoo h2h 12 teams (9cats+3PT%)
PG Conley, Lawson, Sessions
SG Batum, W.Chandler, K.Martin
SF T.Young, J.Butler, Carroll
PF Love, Favors
C Valanciunas, Hawes

#8 ilikebasketball

ilikebasketball

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 12:53 PM

View PostKing.James, on 03 October 2012 - 05:47 AM, said:

Do you prefer him to Asik? (Overall production)

I would prefer Omer Asik because I like Rebounding/Blocking bigs. J.J. Hickson and David West are probably going to get similar stats this year, with Hickson's FT% being worse and his FG% being better than West's.

#9 patentboy23

patentboy23

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,442 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 08:41 PM

numbers predictions? I only remember him having a little burst out in Cleveland but never knew he was fantasy relevant.
12 team H2H 12 cat
G -K. Irving, J. Nelson, R. Jackson
SG- D. Wade,, K. Leonard, D. Green
SF- P. Pierce, E. Illyasova, S. Marion
PF- K. Love, Mk. Morris
C- J. Noah, E. Kanter

#10 ilikebasketball

ilikebasketball

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:12 PM

View Postpatentboy23, on 03 October 2012 - 08:41 PM, said:

numbers predictions? I only remember him having a little burst out in Cleveland but never knew he was fantasy relevant.

If he remains the starter, he should maintain similar numbers to the ones during his stint with the Trailblazers last season.

#11 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:26 PM

J.J. Hickson is entering training camp as the starting center.

This is notable because it means that Meyers Leonard will be in a reserve role for the time being. In 19 games with the Blazers last season, Hickson averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks on 54.3 percent shooting. He only shot 64.5 percent from the foul line, but that should be expected as he is a career 66.9 percent shooter from the charity stripe. Hickson looks like a nice value pick this season if he holds onto the starting gig.

Edited by Riedle9, 03 October 2012 - 09:27 PM.

#12 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 03 October 2012 - 09:39 PM

Love Hickson

J.J. Hickson is entering training camp as the starting center. This is notable because it means that Meyers Leonard will be in a reserve role for the time being. In 19 games with the Blazers last season, Hickson averaged 15.1 points, 8.3 rebounds and 0.9 blocks on 54.3 percent shooting. He only shot 64.5 percent from the foul line, but that should be expected as he is a career 66.9 percent shooter from the charity stripe. Hickson looks like a nice value pick this season if he holds onto the starting gig.

Start or not, like his chances to play 30+ minutes and return late-round value with a small helping of upside

#13 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 02:44 AM

14.0/8.5 with a block per game,i like him this year considering he's starting and he was fun to own in CLE during the end of the 2010-11 season.

Edited by Izanagi, 04 October 2012 - 02:46 AM.

Still on on NFL boycott (6/28/13)

Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#14 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,358 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:15 AM

His ultimate value will be determined by his fg% and ft%. I would be very very concerned of the cumulative effect of both on this fantasy value. However, If he can flirt with 48%/49% fgs and 70% fts his value is pretty much similar to Kris Humphries. That could be a nice coup in round 11 or 12 in fantasy drafts. Keep in mind that he will have to eventually fend off Leonard for some PT.

View PostIzanagi, on 04 October 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

14.0/8.5 with a block per game,i like him this year considering he's starting and he was fun to own in CLE during the end of the 2010-11 season.

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#15 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:20 PM

View PostCode of Hammurabi, on 04 October 2012 - 10:15 AM, said:

His ultimate value will be determined by his fg% and ft%. I would be very very concerned of the cumulative effect of both on this fantasy value. However, If he can flirt with 48%/49% fgs and 70% fts his value is pretty much similar to Kris Humphries. That could be a nice coup in round 11 or 12 in fantasy drafts. Keep in mind that he will have to eventually fend off Leonard for some PT.

View PostIzanagi, on 04 October 2012 - 02:44 AM, said:

Dont agree, Meyers Leonard is a bust. I have been seeing him play many times for U of Illinois, nah he is raw like Drummond

JJ Hickson, starting or not, will be play 28min+

#16 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 12:24 PM

Also , there are many good things about JJ Hickson, from his teammates n his coach Stotts

http://www.rotoworld...1503/jj-hickson

#17 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:23 PM

View PostRiedle9, on 04 October 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

Dont agree, Meyers Leonard is a bust. I have been seeing him play many times for U of Illinois, nah he is raw like Drummond

Even if Leonard isn't a bust and turns out to be very serviceable, that still only makes it three frontcourt players the Blazers can rely on for solid value (Aldridge, Hickson, Leonard). Unless, of course, you believe Freeland or Jeffries will somehow break out in a big way this year.

With that said, I think all this talk about Leonard's impact on Hickson's fantasy value is a bit pointless. Hickson is going to get his minutes this season, barring injury. The thing that owners should really be concerned about when it comes to Hickson isn't Leonard, but rather Hickson's glaring weaknesses in FT% and defensive stats.

#18 Riedle9

Riedle9

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:50 PM

View Postballsohard, on 04 October 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Even if Leonard isn't a bust and turns out to be very serviceable, that still only makes it three frontcourt players the Blazers can rely on for solid value (Aldridge, Hickson, Leonard). Unless, of course, you believe Freeland or Jeffries will somehow break out in a big way this year.

With that said, I think all this talk about Leonard's impact on Hickson's fantasy value is a bit pointless. Hickson is going to get his minutes this season, barring injury. The thing that owners should really be concerned about when it comes to Hickson isn't Leonard, but rather Hickson's glaring weaknesses in FT% and defensive stats.

Yes, i think JJ Hickson has good value at 12th round (11th if 14 team league)

Tristan Thompson, Biyombo n Asik has similar value in my perspective, around 11th/12th

Valanciunas worths a last round pick. Injuries, foul troubles and a small logjam (along with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir...starting or not, they will have negative impact to Valanciunas' minutes) will limit Valanciunas' fantasy value this season.

Splitter also my my radar

#19 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,804 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 01:57 PM

View PostRiedle9, on 04 October 2012 - 01:50 PM, said:

View Postballsohard, on 04 October 2012 - 01:23 PM, said:

Yes, i think JJ Hickson has good value at 12th round (11th if 14 team league)

Tristan Thompson, Biyombo n Asik has similar value in my perspective, around 11th/12th

Valanciunas worths a last round pick. Injuries, foul troubles and a small logjam (along with Bargnani, Ed Davis and Amir...starting or not, they will have negative impact to Valanciunas' minutes) will limit Valanciunas' fantasy value this season.

Splitter also my my radar

If Jonas does well Ed Davis and Amir Johnson will not limit his minutes. Those two are barely average.
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team 5x5 H2H (15-12-3)
Infield - Salvador Perez, Prince Fielder, Aaron Hill, Edwin Encarnacion, Jean Segura
Outfield - Alex Rios, Wil Myers, Khris Davis
Utility - Jose Abreu, Everth Cabrera
Bench - Kole Calhoun (DL), Michael Morse*, Eric Young Jr.*
Starters - Jose Fernandez, Michael Wacha, Danny Salazar, Sonny Gray, Andrew Cashner, Yordano Ventura, James Paxton (DL), Michael Pineda, Jason Vargas*, Nick Martinez*
Relievers - Sergio Santos, Matt Lindstrom*, Francisco Rodriguez*
* - Waiver pickup.....^Trade pickup
Yahoo $$$ 12 Team 5x5 H2H (16-10-4)
Infield - Evan Gattis, Paul Goldschmidt, Jedd Gyorko, Kyle Seager, Ian Desmond
Outfield - Yasiel Puig, Jose Bautista, Wil Myers
Utility - Carlos Beltran, Everth Cabrera
Bench - Justin Morneau
Starters - Gio Gonzalez, Alex Cobb (DL), Andrew Cashner, Alex Wood, Sonny Gray, Zach Wheeler, Chris Tillman, Michael Pineda, Juan Nicasio*, Kyle Gibson*
Relievers - Matt Lindstrom*, Francisco Rodriguez*

#20 teamshameless

teamshameless

Likes Pointy Leather Boots

• Moderators
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 04 October 2012 - 03:08 PM

This might sound strange but his contract worries me.  He definitely isn't being paid like a starter which means that Portland doesn't think he's a starter.  Maybe he'll fake it this year, but it worries me.
Putting the Mod in Moderator