Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Isaiah Thomas 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
523 replies to this topic

#1 gojetsgo2012

gojetsgo2012

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 09:13 PM

What do you guys think of him this year? Where's he fit amoungst the other PG's in the league?

#2 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:02 PM

Aaron Brooks and Jimmer is no where near his level. I've watched all of IT's highlights last season and I question the fact that he doesn't average 7 ast a game. He has an array of hesitation moves and he's very quick at changing speed.

It's very possible for him to avg 18 ppg 7 ast 1 stl with good %'s and low TO. I think Cousins will get better and that's going to benefit IT as well. If Tyreke actually develops a good jump shot then IT will also improve in assist. Kings are lacking more jump shooters.

What I also noticed from IT's highlights is that his assist comes from him making plays. For some teams, I see the teams running curls, etc where the PG benefits with more assist such as Drose getting assist from Kyle Korver running through screens. Kings don't run that at all and, still, IT averages 5 ast as a starter. If Kings can get more catch and shoot players like Korver then IT's assist should be elite.

Edited by BareaFan, 14 October 2012 - 10:04 PM.

Five Cat Stacking: FT%, 3s, Pts, Ast, Stl

10 Teams H2H Standard 9-Cats:
PG: Westbrook; Kyrie Irving; Jennings; Jameer Nelson; Jrue Holiday; Eric Bledsoe; Ramon Sessions
SG/SF: Bryant; Pierce; Jerryd Bayless; Danny Granger
PF/C: Kevin Garnett; Tiago Splitter

#3 zass17

zass17

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:15 PM

Following are the things would stop him from producing this year

The coach, there was a lot of time they put Jimmer at one last year which is terrible move, but the coach keeps doing that.
Evans could share the ball sometime
Cousin's play making ability could dilute IT's ast as well.

But over all, I am pretty high on him. He could be a very good option when your 3rd teir PGs are all gone.
9-cats, H2H, PG/SG/SF/PF/C/U*2/BN*4
16 teams, 11 players per,

G - Bledsoe, Lawson, Collison, C Lee
F - Kawhi, Parsons, C Butler, Dunleavy, Booker

C - Sullinger, Pekovic,

#4 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 10:45 PM

Following are the things would stop him from producing this year

The coach, there was a lot of time they put Jimmer at one last year which is terrible move, but the coach keeps doing that.
Evans could share the ball sometime
Cousin's play making ability could dilute IT's ast as well.

But over all, I am pretty high on him. He could be a very good option when your 3rd teir PGs are all gone.

Split stats says otherwise. Jimmer's minutes dropped significantly when IT started to draw more attention. I've watched some Jimmer videos and he's very sloppy with the ball. His ball handling is not good enough to compete against great defense.

Cousins doesn't make plays. He's okay at passing, but I don't see him making plays. Furthermore, of all the videos I've watched, Demarcus lets IT run the show.

If you actually watch some highlights, IT shows that he is the leader of the team. His stats may not show it, but, this player in particular, stats are deceiving. Keith Smart said in a recent interview that only the center position is set while all other positions are not. It's true that the coach may not give IT enough minutes to reach his potential, but it's not going to be Jimmer taking those minutes. Anyways, I see IT directing Cousins and everyone else what to do. He is a true leader and I don't see him losing his starting spot.

PG: Westbrook; Kyrie Irving; Jennings; Jameer Nelson; Jrue Holiday; Eric Bledsoe; Ramon Sessions

#5 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,591 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 11:31 PM

Isaiah looked like the heart of that team last year with a bunch of guys with poor attitudes. Supposedly Jimmer got called the best player in training camp which isn't good news. I believe he's the most talented guy they have there but I have a bad feeling he'll be closer to 25 minutes than 30.
10 team .5 ppr
QB: Stafford
RB: Murray
RB: Ellington
WR: Bryant
WR: Roddy White
TE: Pitta
FLEX: Rashad Jennings
D: Bengals
K: Graham
BN: Chris Johnson
BN: Erick Decker
BN: Pierre Thomas
BN: Boldin
BN: Justin Hunter
BN: Ahmad Bradshaw
BN: Zach Ertz

#6 Now_I_Know

Now_I_Know

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 01:00 AM

took him in the 8th round with the 88th pick, so i hope it pays off..

expecting something like 15 ppg 5 apg 3 rpg 1.5 3fgm 1 spg 2 to on some high percentages....would return 4-5 round value if that were the case.
------------------------------------------
Yahoo! 12-Team H2H Standard Cat League:
PG Kyle Lowry...Trey Burke/Jrue Holiday*
SG Stephen Curry...Kobe Bryant*

SF Josh Smith...Gordan Hayward/Tobias Harris
PF Jared Sullinger...John Henson*

C Nikola Vucevic...Andrew Bogut*/Nikola Pekovic*
Yahoo! 8-Team H2H FG% FT% 3PM PTS REB AST ST BLK DD League:
PG Deron Williams...Kyle Lowry/Mike Conley*
SG Goran Dragic...Kobe Bryant*
SF Chandler Parson...
Ersan Ilyasova/Kevin Martin*
PF Kevin Love...Serge Ibaka/John Henson*
C Blake Griffin...Jonas Valuncunius/Anderson Varejo*

#7 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:30 AM

He's such a great value at his ADP right now, this guy is a legit talent. Even if Fredette improves, he's still not a PG. IT2 is a leader and playmaker for that team. One thing that was under rated about his game last year was his defense. He played well and held his own defensively against some of the top point guards last year despite his height. Aaron Brooks was signed strictly as a backup, IT2 will get at least 32mpg this year and I expect an uptick in all his counting stats while maintaining solid %.

Edited by binhdvu83, 15 October 2012 - 07:31 AM.

30 team (9-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league 1st year
G: CP3, J. Butler, J. Jack, S. Livingston, P. Prigioni
F: T. Harris, C. Frye, B. Diaw, M. Miller
C: M. Gasol, B. Wright

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league 6th year
PG: M. Chalmers, G. Vasquez, P. Prigioni
SG: A. Bradley, D. Harris
SF: N. Batum, J. Johnson, Q. Pondexter
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Gibson
C: Anthony Davis, C. Bosh

#8 His Dudeness

His Dudeness

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:27 AM

i'm not as high on him as some of these folks (due to possible lack of PT), but i'd say even at his floor he'll outproduce his adp.

#9 Thats Ridiculous

Thats Ridiculous

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 12:40 PM

how come Aaron Brooks is the starter in NBA2K13 over Isiah Thomas??

#10 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 15 October 2012 - 10:12 PM

Brooks started today. IT2 came off the bench and he doesn't look like the leader that he was last season. He's also missing his open jump shots. It's only half time right now. Maybe he's rusty, but it's still worth noting that he's not playing great so far. I still believe he'll be great by the time the season begins.

#11 teamshameless

teamshameless

Likes Pointy Leather Boots

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 02:28 AM

I'm not sold on Thomas and that has little to do with tonights performance. I think the starters job is clearly his to loose and Brooks could really fit into a 6th man role. The problem is that with the exception of Cousins, every player on the Kings would make a great 6th man.

I don't think Thomas is a threat to lose his starting gig and I think a time share is even pushing it but I could see IT2 playing 32mpg's or less and I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get it done. I didn't check how many minutes he was playing last season but I bet it's higher that.

Plus, I think people forget how good Brooks can be. Sure his defense is suspect, but he lead some Houston teams who had very little right even being the playoffs, never mind battling the Lakers as hard as they did.
Putting the Mod in Moderator

#12 Izanagi

Izanagi

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 660 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 03:17 AM

I'm not sold on Thomas and that has little to do with tonights performance. I think the starters job is clearly his to loose and Brooks could really fit into a 6th man role. The problem is that with the exception of Cousins, every player on the Kings would make a great 6th man.

I don't think Thomas is a threat to lose his starting gig and I think a time share is even pushing it but I could see IT2 playing 32mpg's or less and I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get it done. I didn't check how many minutes he was playing last season but I bet it's higher that.

Plus, I think people forget how good Brooks can be. Sure his defense is suspect, but he lead some Houston teams who had very little right even being the playoffs, never mind battling the Lakers as hard as they did.

Truth
Saints,Pelicans,Sharks and Nationals Fan

#13 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:34 AM

I'm not sold on Thomas and that has little to do with tonights performance. I think the starters job is clearly his to loose and Brooks could really fit into a 6th man role. The problem is that with the exception of Cousins, every player on the Kings would make a great 6th man. I don't think Thomas is a threat to lose his starting gig and I think a time share is even pushing it but I could see IT2 playing 32mpg's or less and I'm not sure that's going to be enough to get it done. I didn't check how many minutes he was playing last season but I bet it's higher that. Plus, I think people forget how good Brooks can be. Sure his defense is suspect, but he lead some Houston teams who had very little right even being the playoffs, never mind battling the Lakers as hard as they did.

I agree with everything you said, as much as I don't like Brooks as a PG at all you can't deny he can (and is more than willing to) shoot alot to score alot. More than anything though, Brooks starting this game & IT2 being buried on the bench (even though it's just pre-season & they're probably just evaluating Brooks' potential) it just brought up bad memories of the Kings being the Kings. If there is ANY team in the league who would start Brooks over IT2, a proven score-only PG who doesn't play D over a tenacious young floor general who plays his a** off on both ends of the floor, it is the perpetually mismanaged Kings. As bad as the Bobcats were (historically last year), the Kings still stick out as the worst team in my head, which is bad bc they have some really good players individually, they're just not built to win & they're so badly managed. They remind me of that movie/play "The Producers", I feel like they are just losing & purposefully setting themselves up to fail to make it easier on the fan base when they inevitably move haha.
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#14 Now_I_Know

Now_I_Know

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 3,923 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:35 AM

seeing brooks start is worrying me a little more than most the posters here. being a laker fan, i remember exactly what brooks is capable of, and he's undeniably a deadly offensive player + a floor leader who can hit u with 20 ppg with ease. he's also got experience and veteran leadership on IT2. i dont think IT2 is as locked in as the started as everyone is assuming. i hope i'm wrong, but ima be keepin a close eye on this one.
Yahoo! 12-Team H2H Standard Cat League:
PG Kyle Lowry...Trey Burke/Jrue Holiday*
SG Stephen Curry...Kobe Bryant*

SF Josh Smith...Gordan Hayward/Tobias Harris
PF Jared Sullinger...John Henson*

C Nikola Vucevic...Andrew Bogut*/Nikola Pekovic*
Yahoo! 8-Team H2H FG% FT% 3PM PTS REB AST ST BLK DD League:
PG Deron Williams...Kyle Lowry/Mike Conley*
SG Goran Dragic...Kobe Bryant*
SF Chandler Parson...
Ersan Ilyasova/Kevin Martin*
PF Kevin Love...Serge Ibaka/John Henson*
C Blake Griffin...Jonas Valuncunius/Anderson Varejo*

#15 K.Heart

K.Heart

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,063 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 05:43 PM

Aaron Brooks is a legit concern. On the other hand, Thornton, Evans, and Cousins all need the ball. Brooks is more of a score first PG. If the Kings are smart, IT should get the first shot. Who knows though. These are the Kings we're talking about,.

#16 patentboy23

patentboy23

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,664 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 08:37 PM

I'm considering grabbing Brooks off the wire for insurance but hopefully Isaiah starts

12 team h2h 12 cat (FGM, FTM, O Rebs)

PG- M. Conley, J. Lin, A. Burks

SG- G. Hayward, K. Martin 

SF- T. Jones, D. Gallinari

PF- A. Davis, D. Nowitzki, E. Illyasova

C- A. Horford, D. Favors, H. Sims

14 team h2h 9 cat

PG- R. Westbrook, D. Williams, J. Jack

SG- J. Green, R. Jackson

SF- P. Pierce, T. Ross

PF- D. Nowitzki, D. West, Marcus Morris

C- P. Gasol, J. Valanciunas 

#17 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 10:07 PM

I just watched a few old Aaron Brooks videos and, if he hasn't lost his skills, he's a great spot up shooter. It's very possible that they can play him and Tyreke together given the fact that Tyreke cannot spot up. Their offensive roles can be swapped and IT2, sadly, will have to come off the bench. Also note that even though IT2 played tremendously well last season, the team still lost many games.

Both players are added to my 'do not draft' list. Hope for the best, prepare for the worst.

#18 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 03:34 PM

I'm not sure why some people here thought Brooks wouldn't be much to worry about. The kid can play, and he was actually an instrumental part of the Rockets postseasons just a few years back. I loved owning IT late last season, but there's no way I want to draft him this season when Brooks is there. And then there's Jimmer...

#19 darkyume

darkyume

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,421 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:16 PM

Just amazed to see how quickly the overall tone changed after 1 preseason game where Brooks started.

http://forums.rotowo...meshare-battle/

I think Isaiah is still fine, but I feel like having Keith Smart as coach in Sactown is a risk already. His inexplicable benching of Stephen Curry (over Acie Law) during his sophmore year before his ankle problems became apparent has me worried that the most talented PG will not necessarily be on the floor. He also unnecessarily limited Isaiah's minutes last season, even when it was apparent that the Kings were most effective when he was on the floor. Isaiah owners hated Keith Smart last year, and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread or the PG timeshare battle thread.

#20 BareaFan

BareaFan

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 990 posts

Posted 17 October 2012 - 07:34 PM

Just amazed to see how quickly the overall tone changed after 1 preseason game where Brooks started.

http://forums.rotowo...meshare-battle/

I think Isaiah is still fine, but I feel like having Keith Smart as coach in Sactown is a risk already. His inexplicable benching of Stephen Curry (over Acie Law) during his sophmore year before his ankle problems became apparent has me worried that the most talented PG will not necessarily be on the floor. He also unnecessarily limited Isaiah's minutes last season, even when it was apparent that the Kings were most effective when he was on the floor. Isaiah owners hated Keith Smart last year, and I can't believe this hasn't been mentioned yet in this thread or the PG timeshare battle thread.

Their W-L ratio didn't improve even after IT became a starter. I didn't check any of their offensive statistics, so, please, if you have proof of that, show me. I also checked Cousins' and Thompson's statistics and IT didn't improve their offensive stats much either. The only thing that really stuck out to me is that IT plays like a leader as a rookie. When he was on the floor, he led the team vocally.

Anyways, I underrated how Aaron Brooks can fit in the Kings system as a PG, but I realize that he can just simply become the prolific shooter that Kings are lacking. Tyreke functions better as a PG/ball handler, so why not let him run it?

I think the most realistic scenario will be Brooks & IT taking a bite in each other minutes. Brooks won't have the 35+ mpg he had in Houston to score nearly 20 ppg while IT will probably produce something reasonable for his ADP. I suspect that both PG's will be on and off.