Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

Nicolas Batum 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
728 replies to this topic

#1 RapsnRox

RapsnRox

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 925 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:17 PM

Seems everyone already expects him to breakout. He really beasted for a little while there, will that become more of the norm? What kinda averages are we expecting ?

#2 Heavy_Jon

Heavy_Jon

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 10:52 PM

He's a very good player, but the Blazers will be sorry for offering him that big paycheck. I think that he will pad his stats, but when it matters most he disapears from the game. I've seen it against some of the best defenses, and as No2 option for France, even worse...
For me he's a better fantasy player than a "real player". He will have games where he scores 25 w/ 5 3s, but wil have alot of 6 pts games. But he gives you something. He's talented, no doubt, but not as a franchise player, or even a No2 option on a contender. One of the most annoying things about his game is his absurd tendency to settle for jumpshots, when he could try to plow his way to the bucket, b/c, you know, he's a physical freak.
I like him, but i don't think that he can give that "jump" to Elite status (maybe because he's not mentally strong).

PS. I hope, by the end of season, that I'm wrong.

#3 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:23 AM

He's a very good player, but the Blazers will be sorry for offering him that big paycheck. I think that he will pad his stats, but when it matters most he disapears from the game. I've seen it against some of the best defenses, and as No2 option for France, even worse...
For me he's a better fantasy player than a "real player". He will have games where he scores 25 w/ 5 3s, but wil have alot of 6 pts games. But he gives you something. He's talented, no doubt, but not as a franchise player, or even a No2 option on a contender. One of the most annoying things about his game is his absurd tendency to settle for jumpshots, when he could try to plow his way to the bucket, b/c, you know, he's a physical freak.
I like him, but i don't think that he can give that "jump" to Elite status (maybe because he's not mentally strong).

First of all, you seem to be viewing pay check volume based of a player's offensive tendencies. Just because Batum is inconsistent on offense doesn't mean he's not worth $12M. Fact of the matter is that this guy still has untapped offensive potential combined with proven top-level defense. He's shut down Kobe, Lebron, Wade, and anyone else you can name. And while his offense is inconsistent, the Blazers haven't ever really committed to him in the first place. With his increase in pay, I'd assume the Blazers are definitely finally looking at him as an important piece to the team. If so, he has a slick jump shot from both mid-range and beyond the arc, and has the athletic tools to attack the rim as you said. I'd definitely say he's worth $12M - perhaps even a bargain - considering what some other players are getting paid in the league.

At the same time, I understand your doubts because you're analyzing him on a jump to an elite level. In that case, you're definitely correct. He will never reach elite level in real life, but rather an incredibly important glue guy along the lines of Kirilenko. However, in fantasy, he certainly has the potential to be an elite fantasy contributor.

Edited by ballsohard, 25 September 2012 - 12:24 AM.

#4 teamshameless

teamshameless

Likes Pointy Leather Boots

• Moderators
  • 6,565 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:35 AM

I think the AK comparison makes sense only I don't think he'll peak anywhere near where AK did. I know people love him and while I think claims that he's "shut down" Lebron etc are a bit of an exaggeration I think I high quality defender. The problem is that high quality defenders who don't score rarely make an impact in fantasy. I guess in 9 cat he could be a bigger deal because it rewards players who don't have the ball but I'd say his absolutely best case scenario would be top 35 and I think that is very unlikely. He's been going around 40 in most mocks I've seen and I think that things will have to go very well for him to justify that.

Again, 9cat maybe but in 8cat I just don't see it.
Putting the Mod in Moderator

#5 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,820 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 08:04 AM

I couldn't disagree with your statements below more. I actually think that Batum is rock solid number 3 player on a team and possibly even a number 2 option. When I consider if a player is a #1, 2, or 3 i consider the impact on BOTH ends of the court. Zero doubt that Batum is one of the better two way players in this league.

Nate McMillan hated him and was a grinch with his playing time. I see a lot of prime Shawn Marion and Rudy Gay upside in Batum is he gets the playing time. He shouldnt struggle in that department this year. I'd say he's a lock for 34 or 35 mins this year. The numbers he produces will justify his selection. 1-1-1 players just dont grow on the proverbial fantasy tree.

As far as his real life performance dude is the truth defending. His long arms and quick lateral movement makes it really difficult for opposing wing players to get to the rack. He is also really good off the ball blocking shots and helping to protect the paint. Whether he lives up to the contract I have no idea. However there are far far worse deals in NBA (past, present future)...........

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#6 BoredSam

BoredSam

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 12:31 PM

Nate McMillan hated him and was a grinch with his playing time. I see a lot of prime Shawn Marion and Rudy Gay upside in Batum is he gets the playing time. He shouldnt struggle in that department this year. I'd say he's a lock for 34 or 35 mins this year. The numbers he produces will justify his selection. 1-1-1 players just dont grow on the proverbial fantasy tree.

I looked at Batums numbers from last season and thought to compare him to Marion when Marion was 23. Here's the results: http://bkref.com/tiny/FzSgU

Marion played so many more minutes that it's only fair to use the per 36 mpg numbers to compare them. It's no surprise that Marion is better across the board, he was a top 2 fantasy option along with KG during this timeframe. What's interesting though is the percentages are so close. All Batum needs now is a Nash level PG to get him open looks and to be the beneficiary of teams double-teaming LMA like they did w/ Amare :) Obviously Batum's ceiling is nowhere near Marion (Batum should have a higher PER this far into his career), but he is still a solid 1-1-1 guy with a few more years of getting better before he starts getting worse.
Halo XI: 12 team 9 cat h2h
G: Wall, Monta, Bledsoe, J.Butler
F: Iggy, Korver T.Harris, Nene, T.Gibson, Ma.Williams
C: (IR: M.Gasol), Hawes, Drummond

Halo Keeper: 11 team 9 cat roto keeper (4th season)
G: Irving, Curry, Dragic. K.Martin, Afflalo
F: T.Young, T.Allen, Marion, Love
C: Gortat, Vucevic, Henson

GME: 10 team 11 cat h2h (3p%, ast/to)
G: Curry, Rubio, Teague,  Monta, Tyreke, Knight, Augustin
F: Pierce, Bosh, T.Harris
C: Bogut, Peko, Frye

#7 Slim Duncan

Slim Duncan

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 08:51 AM

Picked him 30th in my draft last night. Earlier than I wanted, but I was in the 2 spot, meaning I'd have waited 22 picks to get him on the turn. No way that was happening. He'll be a great top 40 player, who gets consistent production every night, in multiple categories. Did I overpay? Yeah, probably. But he's a perfect glue guy to have on a fantasy team.
Too many teams to count!

#8 tazdingo

tazdingo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 11:22 AM

I still don't see how he'll outproduce guys like Rudy Gay in the end... I'm really not a fan of his game and this is coming from a Blazer fan...
TEAM A: 12 team, 9-cat roto league on Yahoo! (8th pick overall)

G: J. Wall, J. Holiday, I. Thomas, Jordan Crawford
F: E. Ilyasova, L. James, W. Chandler, C. Frye, C. Brewer
C: S. Hawes, D. Favors, A. Davis, M. Gasol

#9 det_tigers

det_tigers

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,449 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 12:48 PM

1-1-1 hard to argue with

#10 KDKD

KDKD

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 October 2012 - 05:22 PM

Yep, 1/1/1 is tough to pass up especially for someone you can slot into SG.
That said I still prefer Rudy, has always delivered for me in roto.
12Team 9-Cat ROTO:
PG: Deron Williams (Bkn - PG) / Stephen Curry (GS - PG) / Damian Lillard (Por - PG)
SG: Paul George (Ind - SG,SF) / Dorell Wright (Phi - SG,SF) / Greivis Vasquez (NO - PG,SG)
SF: Luol Deng (Chi - SF) / Chandler Parsons (Hou - SF,PF)
PF: Anthony Davis (NO - PF) / Glen Davis (Orl - PF,C) / Carl Landry (GS - SF,PF)
C: Joakim Noah (Chi - PF,C) / DeAndre Jordan (LAC - C)

#11 Don Andres

Don Andres

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

Posted 27 October 2012 - 01:31 AM

i think he'll have a break-out year.

I was able to get him for $11 in my Auction Draft.

#12 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:39 PM

What did I say about my boy Batum???

:D

#13 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:42 PM

This is finally the year.
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#14 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,820 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:49 PM

Sure Looks like it. The stars have aligned. He's got a dynamic PG and lethal big man to help free up open looks. We could be looking at Rudy Gay/vintage Matrix numbers this year. This team in general is going to be much improved and compete on a high level. I wouldnt be surprised if Batum flirted with all star game consideration.

EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#15 Tarheels_2433

Tarheels_2433

I'm the Looks, the Brains, & the Wildcard!

• Moderators
  • 8,768 posts

Posted 31 October 2012 - 11:51 PM

Sure Looks like it. The stars have aligned. He's got a dynamic PG and lethal big man to help free up open looks. We could be looking at Rudy Gay/vintage Matrix numbers this year. This team in general is going to be much improved and compete on a high level. I wouldnt be surprised if Batum flirted with all star game consideration.

Yea, all things we've discussed over the years about Batum, it's going to be fun watching it finally come to fruition...
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist."

#16 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:10 AM

And people called me crazy for thinking the Blazers got a bargain with his contract.

#17 HAK Devil

HAK Devil

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 12:26 PM

Yep, Batum looked absolutely awesome and I think the biggest change is that he is looking to be more aggresive and be involved in the offense. He was practically screaming for the ball during that late Laker run where he shot a 3 on Metta's face for his 26th point. I am incredibly excited for him this year and am glad I have him on my team

12 Team ESPN Weekly H2H League 8 CAT (FG%, FT %, 3PM, REB, AST, STL, BLK, PTS)

PG: Kyle Lowry, Russell Westbrook, Jeremy Lin
SG: Victor Oladipo, Gordon Hayward
SF: Jabari Parker

PF: Paul Millsap, Markieff Morris, Terrence Jones, Josh McRoberts
C: Nerlens Noel, Roy Hibbert, Kelly Olynyk

IR: Paul George

#18 ballsohard

ballsohard

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,433 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

Yep, Batum looked absolutely awesome and I think the biggest change is that he is looking to be more aggresive and be involved in the offense. He was practically screaming for the ball during that late Laker run where he shot a 3 on Metta's face for his 26th point. I am incredibly excited for him this year and am glad I have him on my team

It wasn't a question of him upping his aggressiveness and intensity. POR simply needed to make him a centerpiece of the offense instead of being one of the last options on offense.

Very happy for Batum to finally be in a situation to blossom. Been a huge fan of his since his rookie year when he dominated Kobe on defense.

#19 UVA_Drew

UVA_Drew

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,722 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:50 PM

Can someone explain to me why I drafted Danny Granger over this guy?? Seriously, help me out here, haha.

Guy looked for real last night. And with the makeup of that team, I seem plenty more nights just like that in his future.

12 Team Auction Draft. Yahoo 0.5 PPR scoring. 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 Flex. 

Bought Mccoy and AP, losing AP screwed me, and been trading nonstop to fill the holes.

QB: Jay Cutler
RB: Alfred Morris
RB: Shane Vereen
WR: Antonio Brown
WR: Eric Decker
TE: Greg Olsen
Flex: Reggie Wayne
K: Greg Zuerlein
Def: Detroit

Bench: Stevan Ridley, Allen Robinson, Bernard Pierce, Lorenzo Taliaferro, Knile Davis, Darrin Reaves

#20 patentboy23

patentboy23

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,661 posts

Posted 01 November 2012 - 02:56 PM

I really hope Batum keeps killing it. I was almost regretting trading Paul George away for him upon hearing Granger being out indefinitely.

12 team h2h 12 cat (FGM, FTM, O Rebs)

PG- M. Conley, J. Lin, A. Burks

SG- G. Hayward, K. Martin 

SF- T. Jones, D. Gallinari, Dray Green

PF- A. Davis, D. Nowitzki, E. Illyasova

C- A. Horford, D. Favors

14 team h2h 9 cat

PG- R. Westbrook, D. Williams, J. Jack

SG- J. Green, R. Jackson

SF- P. Pierce, T. Ross

PF- D. Nowitzki, D. West, Marcus Morris

C- P. Gasol, J. Valanciunas