Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

College Re-Alignment....AgainMaryland and Rutgers to the B1G

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

A charter member of the ACC has left and gone to the.....Big10?  While there has been a couple of rounds of realignment over the past 5 years, this defection is very different.  The Big12 had gone picked over b/c of infighting about TV money and security issues, but the Big12 was a very new conference (only about 20 years old) cobbled together from the dying BIG8 and the dead SWC.  Those partners still didn't understand each other and acrimony ran high as Nebraska had a difficult time taking a back seat to the Texas teams.

Maryland, however, was a charter member of the ACC going back to 1953.  60 years of tradition has been broken and why?  Money.  The ACC is the weakest of all the conferences b/c of their TV deal, something wholly unbelievable just 10 years ago when FSU was still strong and Miami was still relevant and winning a NC.  Now?  ACC basketball is the class of the country but basketball matter little when it comes to TV revenue and football moves the needle.  Will there be anymore defections?  What does the ACC do to replace Maryland?  Will that decision impact more traditional schools like FSU and Clemson and their decisions to stick with the ACC?  How much of the ridiculous 50 million will Maryland actually have to pay?

BTW, Rutgers is leaving the Big East to join up with the Big10 as well, but who cares the Big East is the MAC now.....

http://espn.go.com/c...ten-sources-say
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 bragginman12

bragginman12

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 01:50 PM

I am not surprised Rutgers made the move, I think that they have been struggling in the Big East financially for a while now. The league seems to be going backwards, but Maryland was a bit of a surprise move. I didn't think that the ACC was that bad, I guess you just never know these days. College Football is nuts!

Side note** I checked in and made some fantasy picks on College Football last weekend, at least I know not to pick these teams for the next few weeks. I bet they'll be looking towards next year hahahahaha.

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 05:51 PM

I have no idea why Maryland decided to leave. Isn't the exit fee a lot of money? This is a school that just cut a lot of its smaller sports because they couldn't afford them, and now you are going to cough up a ton of money just to switch conferences? It makes no sense and will just make more sports get cut. Also, do you have to be competitive to get money? Maryland football has one offensive player (Diggs) that is decent. At least in the ACC, they could compete with like UVA and BC, but they will get destroyed in the Big 10. Just a silly move that makes extremely little sense considering the state of the athletic program.
Bring back Ray!

#4 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

http://www.cbssports...-in-next-decade

Money talks.

#5 nickalero99

nickalero99

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,882 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 09:37 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 19 November 2012 - 05:51 PM, said:

I have no idea why Maryland decided to leave. Isn't the exit fee a lot of money? This is a school that just cut a lot of its smaller sports because they couldn't afford them, and now you are going to cough up a ton of money just to switch conferences? It makes no sense and will just make more sports get cut. Also, do you have to be competitive to get money? Maryland football has one offensive player (Diggs) that is decent. At least in the ACC, they could compete with like UVA and BC, but they will get destroyed in the Big 10. Just a silly move that makes extremely little sense considering the state of the athletic program.

Not at all.  Every school in the Big 10 gets an even cut of the Big 10 Network revenue and BCS revenue.  Check my link above to see how much money just the Big 10 Network revenue is worth.

#6 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM

I dont think the ACC's exit fee (which is really an exit penalty) will hold up in court. Im sure Maryland will pay out some cash, but nowhere near the 53 million currently ordered. Three times the ACC's operating budget to leave the conference seems like a blatant exit penalty to me.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM

View Postdzemens, on 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

I dont think the ACC's exit fee (which is really an exit penalty) will hold up in court. Im sure Maryland will pay out some cash, but nowhere near the 53 million currently ordered. Three times the ACC's operating budget to leave the conference seems like a blatant exit penalty to me.

Louisville to the ACC this morning.

Going to be hard to show damages, when the TV contract isn't going to change with Louisville aboard.  Can't really say, "Maryland hurt our brand!  But we're not getting paid any less."  The ACC contract is so undervalued that you can't reduce it anymore or risk more teams leaving.  Swofford is the new Tranghese.  We may look back in a decade and see he wrecked his conference because he was an inept visionary.  Also, exit fees can't be punitive in nature, but only represent that cost of the program leaving.  I see less than half of this fee being paid and maybe about a third.....

#8 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,740 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 03:54 PM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 28 November 2012 - 02:34 PM, said:

View Postdzemens, on 28 November 2012 - 10:31 AM, said:

Louisville to the ACC this morning.

Going to be hard to show damages, when the TV contract isn't going to change with Louisville aboard.  Can't really say, "Maryland hurt our brand!  But we're not getting paid any less."  The ACC contract is so undervalued that you can't reduce it anymore or risk more teams leaving.  Swofford is the new Tranghese.  We may look back in a decade and see he wrecked his conference because he was an inept visionary.  Also, exit fees can't be punitive in nature, but only represent that cost of the program leaving.  I see less than half of this fee being paid and maybe about a third.....

Yeah have to love the hypocrisy of a league making someone pay an excessive exit fee, only to turn around and poach a team from another league.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,017 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:52 PM

A lot of smoke and rumor coming out that Georgia Tech and maybe UVA will announce next week their move to the Big10 as well.  The Ga Tech thing seems sort of weird considering the Big10's previous contiguous state guideline but they are more heavily rumored than UVA currently, who is very desired by the Big10.  We'll see, but if those rumors have any validity then that could end up pouring gasoline on the spark that Maryland started in the ACC's demise.....