Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Zack Greinke 2013 OutlookBest FA SP on the market?

• Please log in to reply
649 replies to this topic

#1 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:04 PM

According to MLBTradeRumors.com:

The Dodgers are the favorite to sign Zack Greinke according to an insider. Both the Angels and Rangers are said to be "on the outside looking in."
Read more at http://www.mlbtrader...wLRHXoEspr8V.99
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#2 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:05 PM

Nevermind.

Edited by Halo Fan, 19 November 2012 - 10:07 PM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#3 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,182 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:19 PM

What an absolutely absurd deal he got. I don't know how he pulled it off but good for him I guess. LAD management could/will look really foolish, maybe even as soon as this year. It seemed like the perfect storm for him this offseason. Does he still represent himself and not use a player agent? Because if he does he is going to get all of it aswell.

Nice little tidbit worth knowing... LAD payroll is the HIGHEST EVER in MLB. Probably in NA pro sports. It comes in just below FC Barcelonas total of $217 million.

Edited by crazy47larry, 08 December 2012 - 09:23 PM.

#4 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:30 PM

Greinke's deal makes Matt Cain's extension look like a bargain. I'd rather have Cain for what he signed than Greinke at these numbers.

Lesson to be learned.....pitching is EXPENSIVE. You better develop your own cheaply if you want to win the World Series.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#5 Baseball Jonze

Baseball Jonze

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,612 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:32 PM

It's said Dodgers will eventually have a $300M payroll given their recent HUGE television deal.
I don't care who is on your fantasy team.

#6 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM

View PostBaseball Jonze, on 08 December 2012 - 09:32 PM, said:

It's said Dodgers will eventually have a $300M payroll given their recent HUGE television deal.

And I'm sure they'll receive nowheres near the amount of venom the Yankees get for having absurdly large payrolls.....
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:50 PM

As a Ranger fan, I'd just like to say Thank you to the Dodgers for saving us from this bullet.  Nice pitcher, no doubt, but 25 million per is way too rich for my blood.  Congrats to Dodger fans?
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 PM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 08 December 2012 - 09:30 PM, said:

Greinke's deal makes Matt Cain's extension look like a bargain. I'd rather have Cain for what he signed than Greinke at these numbers.

Lesson to be learned.....pitching is EXPENSIVE. You better develop your own cheaply if you want to win the World Series.
   I'd rather have Cain period.  Greinke ain't right ... in the head

#9 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,999 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:33 PM

View Postjb_power, on 08 December 2012 - 10:09 PM, said:

Greinke ain't right ... in the head

Posted Image
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#10 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

am I the only one who thinks he has become overrated? I don't think he's top 5. maybe not top 10.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#11 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:46 PM

#12 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:48 PM

Greinke has been on a steady decline in recent years. For the Dodgers to give him the biggest contract of any pitcher is astonishing. Good luck with that Dodgers. His contract looks nice right next to Beckett, Crawford, and Gonzalez.
Bring back Ray!

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:52 PM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

And I'm sure they'll receive nowheres near the amount of venom the Yankees get for having absurdly large payrolls.....

The Dodgers will get some venom, especially if they get off to a slow start. The issue with the Yankees is that not many people liked them before they had all the money, and then once they had it, it just got bad with all the things they had to take. It's what it is. At least they have money to spend. I still remember the O's last year trying to scrap together money and make an offer to Fielder. They kept saying Duquette was asking Angelos and he kept denying. Don't complain about having an owner with money, or one that at least cares about the team.
Bring back Ray!

#14 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:01 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 08 December 2012 - 10:52 PM, said:

View PostTheJRod2006, on 08 December 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

The Dodgers will get some venom, especially if they get off to a slow start. The issue with the Yankees is that not many people liked them before they had all the money, and then once they had it, it just got bad with all the things they had to take. It's what it is. At least they have money to spend. I still remember the O's last year trying to scrap together money and make an offer to Fielder. They kept saying Duquette was asking Angelos and he kept denying. Don't complain about having an owner with money, or one that at least cares about the team.

I'm a Mets fan, and sure I was jealous growing up, but I respect owners who put standings over balance sheets. there are too many owners in baseball who put garbage on the field and leech money from the rest of the teams. it's bizarre that the Yanks have become a team that cares more about finances than the on-field product. in a disgusting way, it's refreshing that the Dodgers are throwing around money with reckless abandon. maybe I'll change my tune if they win the next 3 World Series, but honestly I don't think they're all that dominant considering the amount of money they've spent.

Edited by jsp2014, 08 December 2012 - 11:03 PM.

#15 Red Sox Nation

Red Sox Nation

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,662 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

If Zack stays healthy he will EXPLODE this year. I LOVE pitchers going into their 2nd season of making the cutter one of their more important pitches. His park, his team behind him, his division...soooo many positives. Unfortunately for me I play AL-only, but if I played in a mixed or NL-only, I'd make him a super high priority.

#16 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,509 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:16 AM

Yeah, I probably should have just said that. I agree 100%.

#17 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 12:28 AM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 09 December 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

Yeah, I probably should have just said that. I agree 100%.

+2

Cain overperforms his peripherals every year and Greinke underperforms them. at the end of the day, I want the guy who puts up better #s. Cain is a horse and a beast and I'd love to have him on my team. Greinke is a great pitcher but I know if I really need him for one game, that might be the game he melts down and gives up 7er. I trust Cain to battle without his best stuff and give my team a chance to win. that's an ace in my opinion.

Edited by jsp2014, 09 December 2012 - 12:30 AM.

#18 Sportslife

Sportslife

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:35 AM

If guys like Grienke get this type of deal, can you imagine what King Felix gets?

#19 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Dodgers paid to much for Grienke?  Yeah, but ownership has deep pockets.  Dodgers do indeed have a lot of players that make HUGE bucks, but if they can perform at 75% level of their talent, the dodgers are going to be strong contenders from the NL.
Also, what this talk about rather having Cain over Grienke?  While I agree, he wasn't a FA that the dodgers could go after...
14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Evan Gattis / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, Kendrys Morales
Bench - Devin Mesoraco, Alex Guerrero
NA - Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson
DL - George Springer

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P -   Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka, JP Howell, Mike Fiers
Bench - Alex Wood, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Jacob, deGrom, Jimmy Nelson, Kyle Hendricks, Carlos Carrasco

#20 jgosline

jgosline

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:27 AM

View Postpoopdungbeatle, on 09 December 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

Dodgers paid to much for Grienke?  Yeah, but ownership has deep pockets.  Dodgers do indeed have a lot of players that make HUGE bucks, but if they can perform at 75% level of their talent, the dodgers are going to be strong contenders from the NL.
Also, what this talk about rather having Cain over Grienke?  While I agree, he wasn't a FA that the dodgers could go after...

They are comparing them because their contracts are very similar with Grienke now earning more than Cain. Remember that before this deal, Cain was the highest paid right hander of all time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users