Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

When is it ok to start playing for '13?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:37 PM

Here we are wrapping up week 11 of the fantasy season. In most leagues there are only two weeks left before the playoffs start.

My general question is, when is it ok to start playing for the '13 season?

If you know you're not going to make the playoffs is it unethical to start playing for a better draft pick next season? I guess I liken it to pro sports where towards the end of the season teams aren't necessarily throwing games but they certainly aren't trying their hardest to win them either.

Just curious to hear how some individuals approach this as well as how you'd look at a fellow owner who wasn't fielding his best team down the stretch.
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Castro
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - Utley
SS (1) - Hardy
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Beltran
U (2) - Hosmer, Aoki, D. Gordon, Brantley

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, Lester, Liriano, Ryu, Fister, Estrada, Kuroda, Colon, Richards, J. Chavez
RP - Kimbrel, Grilli, Balfour, Melancon

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)

#2 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:49 PM

View PostSean-O, on 19 November 2012 - 10:37 PM, said:

Here we are wrapping up week 11 of the fantasy season. In most leagues there are only two weeks left before the playoffs start.

My general question is, when is it ok to start playing for the '13 season?

If you know you're not going to make the playoffs is it unethical to start playing for a better draft pick next season? I guess I liken it to pro sports where towards the end of the season teams aren't necessarily throwing games but they certainly aren't trying their hardest to win them either.

Just curious to hear how some individuals approach this as well as how you'd look at a fellow owner who wasn't fielding his best team down the stretch.

If an owner was throwing games, I'd think it was pretty douchey, and I would ridicule him with everything I had, but if there is nothing to stop him in the rules or structure of the league, I'd have to just take it.

As a commish who tries to maintain owner incentive all the way through, there is a cash award for the weekly high score through week 13, and the winner of the consolation bracket gets the #1 pick, the runner up gets #2, and so on down the list, as opposed to just giving it to the worst team out of hand.

It's worked for 5 years pretty well so far.

Edited by Proteus, 19 November 2012 - 10:50 PM.

QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#3 Ryan81

Ryan81

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,302 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:52 PM

I guess it depends on the situation.

But I guess since you already know you're going to miss the playoffs, you might as well either 1. play spoiler for a good lol or two; or 2. start doing the best(or worst) you can to improve you position for next year.
"Sometimes you get the bear; sometimes the bear gets you." -Clay Othic

#4 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,805 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:53 PM

If you're asking this question, then you're probably there.  Making trades in keeper or dynasty leagues is fine.  It's never above board to not play your best team and tank, however.  This is a silly game that helps frustrated ex-athletes have fun.  If you're throwing games for a better draft position, you really need to take inventory of why you're doing this and what your priorities are....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#5 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:59 PM

As a commish it's frustrating to see guys who don't even bother to set their best lineup the last week or two.

I guess as a league it's a good idea to have "incentives" to finish the season strong & "lack of incentives" for the next season for those who don't.
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Castro
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - Utley
SS (1) - Hardy
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Beltran
U (2) - Hosmer, Aoki, D. Gordon, Brantley

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, Lester, Liriano, Ryu, Fister, Estrada, Kuroda, Colon, Richards, J. Chavez
RP - Kimbrel, Grilli, Balfour, Melancon

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)

#6 Proteus

Proteus

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,014 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:05 PM

View PostSean-O, on 19 November 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

As a commish it's frustrating to see guys who don't even bother to set their best lineup the last week or two.

I guess as a league it's a good idea to have "incentives" to finish the season strong & "lack of incentives" for the next season for those who don't.

Someone in my league suggested a payout system where you get gouged more deeply if you come in last. Basically there is some kind of payout for whoever comes in second to last, and a little more for each schmuck up the ladder. I haven't had to resort to that but I would if I had to. I mean...what's the point of all this if guys are sandbagging around during the most important playoff-determining weeks of the season?
QB: Ryan Leaf
RB: Lawrence Phillips
RB: Ki-Jana Carter
WR: Charles Rogers
WR: Desmond Howard
TE: David LaFleur
W/R: David Wilson
K: Ray Finkle(Einhorn)
D: Minnie

BN: Andre Ware/Jared Cook/Tony Mandarich/Curtis Enis/Travis Henry/Brian Bosworth/CJ Spiller/Trent Richardson

facebook.com/WhyYouBeasting

#7 RJRJRJ

RJRJRJ

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,932 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:52 PM

View PostProteus, on 19 November 2012 - 11:05 PM, said:

View PostSean-O, on 19 November 2012 - 10:59 PM, said:

Someone in my league suggested a payout system where you get gouged more deeply if you come in last. Basically there is some kind of payout for whoever comes in second to last, and a little more for each schmuck up the ladder. I haven't had to resort to that but I would if I had to. I mean...what's the point of all this if guys are sandbagging around during the most important playoff-determining weeks of the season?

Our league used to have a $50 penalty for last place.

#8 tonavin

tonavin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:58 PM

How my league circumvents this is, we do top 6 seeding based on playoff finishes (champion picks last, runner-up second-last, etc etc for the bottom 6), and the remaining non-playoffs teams we have a lottery.  Basically like a redraft each year, to prevent tanking.  Also, we set the league up as a 5 year league (our first crack at doing keeper/dynasty so wanted something lengthy but manageable), and keep a running tally of total points over the length of the league so it's unwise to really tank a given year for fear of falling too far behind in total points.  Thankfully we haven't really had issues of people sandbagging, though there definitely are cases of people being "buyers" or "sellers" at the trade deadline (trading draft picks/keepers for studs), which is totally fine IMO.  Myself for instance, I've got no shot of playoffs this year so I shopped Rodgers out for Flacco and a draft pick next year.  I could see how that sort of thing would be frowned upon to other playoff-bound teams, but there's nothing from stopping them from doing the same to go all-in for a playoff push.  It could almost certainly backfire, as it did for me last year when I sold out big to get Ray Rice at the deadline and still missed the playoffs >< lol

(Yes yes, I know, cool story brah)