Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * * 2 votes

Todd Frazier 2013 OutlookPlaying time issues a thing of the past?

• Please log in to reply
204 replies to this topic

#1 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,634 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:38 PM

Here's hoping!

RW Blurb:

Reds general manager Walt Jocketty said Todd Frazier is "penciled in as our third baseman next year."
It's hardly a surprising declaration, as Scott Rolen is a free agent and reportedly leaning towards retirement, clearing the way for Frazier to take over at the hot corner. Jocketty did use the caveat "right now" when discussing Frazier and third base, perhaps leaving the door open for him to be moved to left field should they find another third baseman. That seems unlikely, though. Source: Reds.mlb.com Nov. 19 - 12:36 pm et
"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#2 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 11:13 PM

Frazier is an interesting option at 3rd.  19 homeruns in 400 ABs is nothing to scoff at, however he did struggle to end the year.  Granted Dusty was jerking him around and fatigue may have been a factor.  Still I'm not 100% sold on him for a full season.  With that said, he should come on the cheap and definately has some potential to do some damage in the small parks of the NL central.  He's also going to be 27 at the start of the season, I believe, so he is just entering his prime.

Edited by damana, 19 November 2012 - 11:18 PM.

4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#3 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,083 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 26 November 2012 - 09:03 AM

ah, im totally sold on him. in that ballpark, gotta love it. you can probly get him late too, im thinking after freese
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Mesoraco
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Belt
2B/ J Lowrie
SS/ Everth
MI/ Hardy
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Dunn
SP/ Felix, Sale, Teheran, Bailey, Lohse
Eovaldi, Peralta, M Perez
RP/ Ross, Richards, Hawkins
BN/ Sandoval, BJ Upton
DL/Latos

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#4 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 07:41 PM

Think fatigue was definitely a factor in his poor finish, between injuries and the Reds hunt for top seed he didn't get many days off at all. It was also inevitable that pitchers would start paying more attention to him, though don't think they got a definite book on his weaknesses though Reds fans might be better informed on that. But I like him next year, any starter at GABP is worth a gander and he might have 1B/3B/OF elig which would make for some nice roster flexibility
"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#5 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,054 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:27 AM

Love this kid heading into next year, really performed well as a rookie and hes hitting in a great park and great lineup. Should be had after the big names are gone and if you can score him a little late (not sure how late) he should end up a great pick for the 2013 season. Good power, solid average and should have the counting stats as well.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

I dealt him in a package recently, I have just been burned too much over the last several years by the "this guy hit 17 HR in sub 400 at bats" imagine what he will do with 550 at bats now that he has a full time job approach.  Its good, it just hasnt been good to me lately, of course he will be the guy who breaks out and hits 30HR.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 MeisterT

MeisterT

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,929 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:52 PM

View Postparrothead, on 27 November 2012 - 11:15 AM, said:

I dealt him in a package recently, I have just been burned too much over the last several years by the "this guy hit 17 HR in sub 400 at bats" imagine what he will do with 550 at bats now that he has a full time job approach.  Its good, it just hasnt been good to me lately, of course he will be the guy who breaks out and hits 30HR.

I can understand that hesitancy about a young unproven, that burn has happened to all of us and it always hurts, but like dzemens said if can get him a bit later in the draft (and really have a hard time projecting where he'll go, ideas anyone?) love his prospects. Might look for some kind of 3b insurance late in the draft if anyone remotely decent is available or look to swing a deal early in the year to solidify the position just in case but really like this kid too. Could see him getting off to a slow start so patience might be required, or if don't already own might be able to buy him cheap right before the summer humidity rolls into GABP.

Edited by MeisterT, 27 November 2012 - 12:53 PM.

"It's the learning f------ nothing that keeps me young." - Al Swearengen

#8 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,509 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 27 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

I agree, if he were still around late in a draft or late in the auction and I could get him at a cheap price, sure absolutely I would take him.  But for me, I had him for $4, the other owner asked for him in a deal and I didnt hesitate, he was borderline as one of my keepers, kind of leaning towards not keeping him at $4 and thinking getting him back at around that price ($130 cap 13 mixed roto).
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#9 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,099 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:52 PM

I just think he gets over valued because many people thought he SHOULD have won ROTY.  Not saying he will be a bust,  but I think the upside isn't as high as some people think. Last year could have been closer to his ceiling than his floor.  He was barely a top 20 3b last year. Sure he's going to get more at bats.... but I dont think I could comfortably put him in the top 12 going into the season.  How many people really cary backup 3b on their team or play an OK 3b as your CI. Only deeper leagues really.  If you wait on 3b and you need to take two, maybe then I'd consider him.

Chances are you will be able to find someone on waivers next year who will put up similar production.... just like you picked up Todd Frazier from waivers.  Guys who hit 15-22 with a 270 average DO grow on trees in 12 team or less mixed.

Nice player. Just not excited about him.
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#10 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:51 PM

View Postparrothead, on 27 November 2012 - 01:31 PM, said:

I agree, if he were still around late in a draft or late in the auction and I could get him at a cheap price, sure absolutely I would take him.  But for me, I had him for $4, the other owner asked for him in a deal and I didnt hesitate, he was borderline as one of my keepers, kind of leaning towards not keeping him at $4 and thinking getting him back at around that price ($130 cap 13 mixed roto).

I'm in the same boat as you.  Trying to work out a trade now that will let me throw Frazier back as I think he is overvalued at 8 bucks in my league.  If the trade falls through I really have no idea what I'm going to do.  Ah, the things that keep us up at night! :P
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#11 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:26 AM

Come draft day next year, I will be looking to click the draft button on Todd Frazier in 2013.

If one area that might see improvement could be his HR/FB%. He was down over 8% from 2011. Which in turn could lead to him being able to keep a similar SLG from last year.

#12 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM

Do you guys think he's capable of .275 avg with 25-30 HR and 80-90 RBI with fulltime ABs?

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:36 PM

View PostChrisFarley, on 04 January 2013 - 09:21 PM, said:

Do you guys think he's capable of .275 avg with 25-30 HR and 80-90 RBI with fulltime ABs?

I think he will get at least 22 to 25 homers and I'm not sure about the rbis it depends on where he is in that lineup. Last year I think he hit mostly sixth and seventh.
No Days Off

#14 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,078 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:52 AM

Projecting the lineup...

1. Choo
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Ludwick
5. Bruce
6. Frazier?

#15 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,806 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 07:14 AM

View PostChrisFarley, on 05 January 2013 - 01:52 AM, said:

Projecting the lineup...

1. Choo
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Ludwick
5. Bruce
6. Frazier?

I would assume so, but you never know with dusty maybe he puts cozart in the top of the lineup too.
No Days Off

#16 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 10:05 AM

wondering if this is another guy like mentioned before who can get 20 HRs but they are costly 20 HRs if you know what I mean. a player who doesnt project out half season numbers into the same for full season at bats.

#17 SoundMaster

SoundMaster

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 01:31 PM

I like the park and lineup and would assume that his counting numbers would be solid even if his BA regresses somewhat.  
But he's a 2nd year player coming off a .265 season and a poor September....if he suffers a slow start, will Dusty sit him?    Reminds me of Lucas Duda at this time last year....without Duda's solid BB rate.     With that said, he might carry a bit more risk than we'd like.    (But I'm generally a pessimist, so take it for what it is.)

#18 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,096 posts

Posted 16 January 2013 - 02:20 PM

actually his home/road game were about equal.

#19 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,096 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:26 AM

.320 OBP/ 25HR/ 75 RBI/ 65R/ 8 Sb?

I've got more hits than Sadaharu Oh.

#20 Cmilne23

Cmilne23

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,027 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 01:37 AM

I love the Reds lineup this year.  Perfect lineup that mixes OBP, Power, Youth, Experience all into one.

1. Choo
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Bruce/Ludwick
5. Ludwick/Bruce (switch vs. LHP/RHP)
6. Frazier
7. Mesoraco/Hanigan
8. Cozart
9. Pitcher

Each hitter in that lineup has some sort of skill set.  There are no throw away outs in that lineup at all.  I really like Frazier this year he is in a very good spot to succeed and have a good amount of RBI/Run scoring opportunities with the talent surrounding him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users