Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2013 League Settings Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bulldogs07

Bulldogs07

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

Just curious how other leagues are dealing with the Houston Astros coming to AL for 2013 , Are you increasing your roster sizes or just adding a pitcher etc? are you adding a team too your league , or just increasing your free agent pool ?   my league is a standard 4X4 league with 23 players 14 position players 9 pitchers and it is 12 team league, how do you suggest absorbing the Astros , right now were leaning towards just adding a 10th pitcher. also how do you adjust your auction $ if you increase roster size? thanks for any input you can offer.

#2 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 19 November 2012 - 08:18 PM

To adjust the $, just figure out what you are budgeted for each player. For instance, I am in a NL only where you get 24 players and the salary is $275, which is an average of roughly $11 per player. All you do then is add that much money for each player that you add to your rosters.
Bring back Ray!

#3 mbrennan535

mbrennan535

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:33 PM

I'm trying to convince my league to make some big changes this year...

Last season we did a redraft league, snake style drafting, H2H, and only had 8 teams.

This year I'm hoping we do auction style with maybe 3 or 4 keepers. roto scoring, and aiming upwards of 10 teams.

How should I pitch this to my league mates?
9 Team Roto, AVG, HR, R, SB, RBI x QS, ERA, WHIP, K, SV
C: "Baby Bull" Wilin Rosario ($10)
1B: Freddie Freeman (K)
2B: Anthony Rendon (WW)
3B: Ryan Zimmerman ($8)
SS: Hanley Ramirez (K)
OF: Carlos "Go Go" Gomez (K)
OF: Jay Bruce  (K)
OF: Mike Trout (K)
UTIL: Jose "Oso" Abreu ($10)
UTIL: Billy "The Fast Kid" Hamilton ($11)
BN:  George Springer ($3), "Big Daddy" Matt Holliday (K) Dee Gordon (WW)

SP: Chris Archer ($9)
SP: Madison Bumgarner ($17)
RP: Jonathan Papelbon ($7), Glen Perkins ($6), Sean Doolittle (WW), Delin Betances (WW)
P:  Dallas Keuchel (WW),Tim Hudson (WW)

#4 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 26 November 2012 - 01:45 PM

View Postmbrennan535, on 20 November 2012 - 09:33 PM, said:

I'm trying to convince my league to make some big changes this year...

Last season we did a redraft league, snake style drafting, H2H, and only had 8 teams.

This year I'm hoping we do auction style with maybe 3 or 4 keepers. roto scoring, and aiming upwards of 10 teams.

How should I pitch this to my league mates?
1. you are on the right track looking to get more owners, 8 teams in baseball is pretty low, if that is the case, even with 10, I might look to go AL or NL only to have some depth, required knowledge and strategy.

2. I love my leagues format, its auction keeper.  $130 cap (most are 260) - 10 keepers, we also have a 3 round minor league draft every year.  I think it brings a lot more activity and interest into the league, because in order to be competitive, you must be active.  We have 13 owners, 11 of the 13 have been on our site doing something this month (November) what they are doing I have no idea but they have logged in, but it just shows they are interested and there have been some trades made already which is what I assume people are doing.  Adding the keeper and auction component to a league really increases the interest people have in the league.

But...these types of leagues also need the right type of commissioners, clear rules and good owners.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#5 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 19 November 2012 - 08:18 PM, said:

To adjust the $, just figure out what you are budgeted for each player. For instance, I am in a NL only where you get 24 players and the salary is $275, which is an average of roughly $11 per player. All you do then is add that much money for each player that you add to your rosters.

You might not want to drop a full average share into the pool for that extra slot.

Chances are very good, if you do that, that nobody's going to be adding an $11 pitcher to that last slot with that cash... much more likely you're looking at a bunch of $1 tenth pitchers added to rosters and an extra $10 spent inflating salaries on the rest of the rosters.

#6 South Jersey Bombers

South Jersey Bombers

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:09 AM

We are staying with 12 managers in our league, but changing BA to OBP.

This should add a great twist and more depth to the league.
Macann , Abreu , Altuve , Alverez , Tulo
Cespedes , Crisp , Granderson , Adams
Headley , Eaton , Lowrie , Castro
Darvish , Strasburg , Kazmir , Ventura , Quintana , Odorizzi , Lynn, Martinez , Cashner , Lirano
Holland , Mejia , Beniot

#7 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,732 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:43 AM

My favorite settings I've played in is 6x6 roto.

R, RBI, HR, SB, OBP, SLG
ERA, WHIP, W, SV, K, QS

(162 max games per position)
C
1B
2B
3B
SS
OF
OF
OF
OF
CI
MI
UTL

8 x P (1800 max innings)

6 x BN

#8 Bulldogs07

Bulldogs07

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 58 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 03:39 PM

how are other AL only roto leagues adjusting with the inclusion of the houston Astros this year too the American League are you increasing your rosters ? do you increase your auction dollars ? etc etc.
My league is 4x4 with 14 position players and 9 pitchers so 23 total active roster positions , thanks for any help!

#9 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 12 December 2012 - 01:43 PM

View PostBulldogs07, on 08 December 2012 - 03:39 PM, said:

how are other AL only roto leagues adjusting with the inclusion of the houston Astros this year too the American League are you increasing your rosters ? do you increase your auction dollars ? etc etc.
My league is 4x4 with 14 position players and 9 pitchers so 23 total active roster positions , thanks for any help!
The settings our league is based on was one I was in during the early 90's that had AL and NL component, I remember when the Rocks and Marlins came into the league the auction price or rosters werent adjusted, changed the value slightly, but you are still talking about "only" leagues which means starting players still have a tremendous amount of value.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#10 FISH ON

FISH ON

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:39 PM

Not sure where to ask this, so I'm posting here.

We have a raging debate in our keeper league with this setting. So I come here to ask the experts:
Which stat is better and why?

Quality starts or wins?

We thank you for your responses.

Edited by FISH ON, 15 February 2013 - 06:45 PM.

“There is nothing better than getting shot at and missed. It’s really great.”   Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

“The most important six inches on the battlefield is between your ears.” Gen "Mad Dog Mattis

“There are hunters and there are victims. By your discipline, cunning, obedience and alertness, you will decide if you are a hunter or a victim.” Gen "Mad Dog" Mattis

"You must first realize the prison of your mind.......before you can escape it".   author unknown

My comments and assessments are meant for long term keeper and dynasty leagues, not for redrafts

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:44 PM

View PostFISH ON, on 15 February 2013 - 06:39 PM, said:

We have a raging debate in our keeper league with this setting. So I come here to ask the experts:

Quality starts is more fair to starters. It seems like there are always the few very unlucky starters that will end up with no offensive support every time they pitch or the bullpen blows it. Just look at Cliff Lee last year. It took him until the All Star Break to get his first win. I personally prefer quality starts over wins.
Bring back Ray!

#12 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 06:51 PM

We are having the same debate
I like QS, just because it removes a bad/good bullpen from the equation.  The obv flaw is that 6.0 inn of 3 runs or less baseball isnt terribly difficult, and tends to over compensate for the obv flaw of Wins being a team reflected stat.  My recommendation is to go to a site like onroto that can customize stats, like making QS 7.0 inn requirement instead of 6.0.  However I understand thats not always possible (my league mates dont want to change sites for example), and one is forced to choose. In that case, I choose QS as I believe its "less" flawed than Wins, and can be balanced nicely by having k/9 as a stat category to give relief pitching value as well.  Nothing worse than losing the title on a RP "Win", after his team bails him out on a blown save.  Thats the worst case scenario, and it cant happen if you eliminate W and go with QS
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#13 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,183 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 07:47 PM

Quality starts or wins?

Personally I prefer QS over Wins and I've been trying to get a roto league that I'm in to switch to QS.  Some of members feel it devalues RP due to their inability to contribute to QS where they could in Wins.  I don't think it's possible with our current website but I thought a remedy would be to have a cat of QS + RP Wins (SP Wins would not count).

#14 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 10:57 PM

We're not changing anything.  10 team, AL only, $260 auction budget, 14 hitters, 9 pitchers, 7 keepers.
10 team, AL only, auction, keeper. Weekly roster moves, monthly access to FA's. We count holds as save/2. Players who qualify at DH can play OF.

C - C.Ianetta ($8), C.Stewart ($1)
1B - N.Swisher ($16); 3B - K.Youkilis ($11); CO - P.Konerko ($27)
2B - D.Pedroia ($24) ; SS - Y.Escobar ($11); MI - K.Johnson ($12)
OF - N.Cruz ($21), M.Morse ($21), T.Hunter ($11), M.Joyce ($8), J.Maxwell ($3)
DH - L.Cain ($11)
SP - J.Verlander ($32), J.Peavy ($7), E.Santana ($6), P.Hughes ($6), M.Buehrle ($4), J.Masterson ($1)
RP - J.Johnson ($12), S.Delabar ($4), D.O'Day ($0)
Bench - M.DeRosa ($0), H.Conger ($0), J.Iglesias ($0), L.Overbay ($0), P.Humber ($0), D.Smyly ($1), S.Kazmir ($0)

#15 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 15 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Quality starts or wins?

QS by a mile because pitchers can't control many of the factors that contribute to wins:

crappy offense
park factors
errors
unearned runs
blown saves
etc.

Before 2012 i tried to get my league to switch from W's to QS and only 3 owners, including myself, voted for it.  During the season I kept track of every team's QS to see how things would have been different and it would have impacted the final standings, including the money positions.  I shared my results with the league after the season was over and nobody cared.  Good luck getting them to switch.  :)
10 team, AL only, auction, keeper. Weekly roster moves, monthly access to FA's. We count holds as save/2. Players who qualify at DH can play OF.

DH - L.Cain ($11)
SP - J.Verlander ($32), J.Peavy ($7), E.Santana ($6), P.Hughes ($6), M.Buehrle ($4), J.Masterson ($1)
Bench - M.DeRosa ($0), H.Conger ($0), J.Iglesias ($0), L.Overbay ($0), P.Humber ($0), D.Smyly ($1), S.Kazmir ($0)

#16 ipstaff

ipstaff

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,735 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

You gotta have a progressive group to throw Ws out the window entirely.  I don't love the QS as a stat, simply because the "q" part is pretty minimal - six innings of. 4.5 ERA ball and you're there - and also because it's one of those lousy stats you have to look on the subpages to find.  But there's certainly plenty to recommend it.

Edited by ipstaff, 17 February 2013 - 01:37 AM.

#17 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:19 AM

Any thoughts out there on SOLDS vs Saves?  
My league doesnt have free agency, so closers who lose jobs or roll the dice on an upside guy and they dont get a job are risky, that said, I kind of like the risk reward element to it.  I like two years ago rolling the dice and getting a $3 Kimbrel because he might be sharing a job with Vetters when we had our auction.  Had we had SOLDS (Saves + Holds) it never happens, with his K rate, he might of been the highest guy taken that year because there would be no "job security" issues.

I think it makes sense in that you are trying to take the best bullpen guy, regardless of whether or not they are an 8th or 9th inning guy, but I think it also completely takes away some of the thinking mans aspect and risk-reward to the approach that can pay off for those in the know.  Im a bit torn as commish as to whether or not I even want to bring it up to the league.

#18 ssmarsh

ssmarsh

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,659 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 03:18 PM

We use net saves as a reliever category and it works great: saves - blown saves + holds/2

Closers have higher value than 7th/8th inning guys, but the 7th/8th inning guys aren't worth almost nothing.

DH - L.Cain ($11)

#19 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,577 posts

Posted 17 February 2013 - 05:34 PM

View Postssmarsh, on 17 February 2013 - 03:18 PM, said:

We use net saves as a reliever category and it works great: saves - blown saves + holds/2

Closers have higher value than 7th/8th inning guys, but the 7th/8th inning guys aren't worth almost nothing.
Good idea, so I assume that the closer still is valued more, but I would be interesting to see those elite high K closers versus a low k closer like Jensen vs. League and how they would be valued.

#20 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,904 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 01:13 AM

Quality starts or wins?

Quality starts is a heavily flawed stat and is incredibly frustrating as a fantasy category.  It is also 10000000 times better then wins. So that will let you know how I feel about using wins as a category.  NOTHING is more infuriating than being first place in ERA, second place in WHIP, and LAST PLACE in wins.  Especially when you have an innings cap and the category is decided based on who's relievers fluke there way to 7-8 wins while another teams closer's only get 1-2.

QS>W.  But know QS will frustrate you too, but it is by far the lesser of two evils.

Edited by Wombat, 18 February 2013 - 01:14 AM.