I'm a loyal reader and rely on Rotoworld for advice, but lately I'm finding myself disagreeing on half the stuff. Either I'm getting better at fantasy or the opinions from writers are just poor. I consider myself a big NBA and fantasy fan/follower, but Rotoworld's writers should have me beat in most cases.
A few things I'm specifically talking about:
Rotoworld: JJ Hickson should be owned in all leagues and formats.
- Wrong. He's been sub-par and Leonard is having a negative impact on his value. He's got double-double potential but there's a lack of defensive stats. He's worth holding on to in 12 team leagues but he's definitly not must own in less deep leagues.
Rotoworld: Kyle Korver is not a good pick-up.
- Wrong. He should be owned in all leagues. He gives great 3s, solid percentages, low TOs, and some steals. He's getting 30+ minutes a game for over 2 weeks now, and it's just now that Rotoworld has something positive to say about him. They suck Novak's wee-wee all day, but won't give Korver any props. The man has a solid role in ATL... certainly much more important than RW thinks. I picked him up a week ago despite RW's nonsense and I'm reaping the benefits. Almost anyone that gets 30+ minutes and starts is worthy of a spot on 10-12 league teams, especially someone who specializes in 3s without being a drain on your percentages.
Rotoworld: Aminu was dismissed last night and owner's were told to look other places.
- Wrong. They apologized today for it: "We shouldn't have told owners to look at other options since Aminu has provided late-round value even during his slump, and tonight's output shows exactly why. He's one of the few trusted players on the Hornets roster, and he should be owned in most formats." The kid has been amazing this year and they threw him under the bus for one bad game. I wonder what Noob wrote that. They should have the writer's name under each opinion piece.
Rotoworld: All over Stuckey as if he's ballin.
- Wrong. He's still inconsistent and bang average even when he performs. If we're gonna stash everyone hoping they bounce back, we'd all be in last place waiting.
Rotoworld: Jeremy Pargo situation
- They misread the situation and they apologized for it tonight. Donald Sloan didn't even get off the bench. Surprised they had no knowledge on this.
Rotoworld: Nene: "...and unless you need a big man taking a chance on him at this stage isn't worth the risk."
- Wrong. How the hell can you say Nene is not worth the risk? Rotoworld tells us all the damn time to stash s--- players like Nate Robinson, Jack, Drummond, etc... all guys who may NEVER see the starting line up this season, but a proven player like Nene doesn't derserve a stash? WTF?! Nene can easily do 15-8-1-1 if he's OK. I'm willing to take that risk and RW should be telling everyone to snatch him up in 12 team leagues. What's the worst that could happen; he goes down and misses time? Then just drop him. If he's OK (they've been super careful with him - he should be OK), then you can reap big benefits from a proven player. There is lots of upside here but RW ignores it all and doesn't see a point in picking him up.
Listen, I know fantasy is a bit of a guessing game but if they aren't sure of something, then they shouldn't throw out such factual sounding information. I would really like to see the names of the writers responsible for the opinion bits. Maybe we could rate them and give them a reputation so it shows next to their name.
I still love Rotoworld and all they do... great resource, but damn, there's room for some improvement here as well.
Just my two cents.
Edited by Patrick Bateman, 21 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.