Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

RotoWorld Basketball Content Feedback ThreadWhy are the blurbs so bad?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
29 replies to this topic

#1 Boom Boom Pau

Boom Boom Pau

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:40 AM

OK, I may have exegerated things a bit with the title, but I've been disappointed by the quality of the "blurbs" lately.  I know there are multiple writers posting their opinions, but lately they have simply been off and wrong.  I've see them appologize twice tonight for making bad predictions on players.

I'm a loyal reader and rely on Rotoworld for advice, but lately I'm finding myself disagreeing on half the stuff.  Either I'm getting better at fantasy or the opinions from writers are just poor.  I consider myself a big NBA and fantasy fan/follower, but Rotoworld's writers should have me beat in most cases.

A few things I'm specifically talking about:

Rotoworld:  JJ Hickson should be owned in all leagues and formats.
- Wrong.  He's been sub-par and Leonard is having a negative impact on his value.  He's got double-double potential but there's a lack of defensive stats.  He's worth holding on to in 12 team leagues but he's definitly not must own in less deep leagues.

Rotoworld: Kyle Korver is not a good pick-up.
- Wrong.  He should be owned in all leagues.  He gives great 3s, solid percentages, low TOs, and some steals.  He's getting 30+ minutes a game for over 2 weeks now, and it's just now that Rotoworld has something positive to say about him.  They suck Novak's wee-wee all day, but won't give Korver any props.  The man has a solid role in ATL... certainly much more important than RW thinks. I picked him up a week ago despite RW's nonsense and I'm reaping the benefits.  Almost anyone that gets 30+ minutes and starts is worthy of a spot on 10-12 league teams, especially someone who specializes in 3s without being a drain on your percentages.

Rotoworld: Aminu was dismissed last night and owner's were told to look other places.
- Wrong. They apologized today for it: "We shouldn't have told owners to look at other options since Aminu has provided late-round value even during his slump, and tonight's output shows exactly why. He's one of the few trusted players on the Hornets roster, and he should be owned in most formats." The kid has been amazing this year and they threw him under the bus for one bad game. I wonder what Noob wrote that.  They should have the writer's name under each opinion piece.

Rotoworld: All over Stuckey as if he's ballin.
- Wrong. He's still inconsistent and bang average even when he performs.  If we're gonna stash everyone hoping they bounce back, we'd all be in last place waiting.

Rotoworld: Jeremy Pargo situation
- They misread the situation and they apologized for it tonight. Donald Sloan didn't even get off the bench.  Surprised they had no knowledge on this.

Rotoworld: Nene: "...and unless you need a big man taking a chance on him at this stage isn't worth the risk."
- Wrong. How the hell can you say Nene is not worth the risk?  Rotoworld tells us all the damn time to stash s--- players like Nate Robinson, Jack, Drummond, etc... all guys who may NEVER see the starting line up this season, but a proven player like Nene doesn't derserve a stash?  WTF?!  Nene can easily do 15-8-1-1 if he's OK. I'm willing to take that risk and RW should be telling everyone to snatch him up in 12 team leagues.  What's the worst that could happen; he goes down and misses time? Then just drop him.  If he's OK (they've been super careful with him - he should be OK), then you can reap big benefits from a proven player.  There is lots of upside here but RW ignores it all and doesn't see a point in picking him up.

Listen, I know fantasy is a bit of a guessing game but if they aren't sure of something, then they shouldn't throw out such factual sounding information.  I would really like to see the names of the writers responsible for the opinion bits.  Maybe we could rate them and give them a reputation so it shows next to their name.

I still love Rotoworld and all they do... great resource, but damn, there's room for some improvement here as well.

Just my two cents.

Edited by Patrick Bateman, 21 December 2012 - 12:27 PM.

#2 lbjames6

lbjames6

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,879 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:51 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the news on this site is top notch and it comes in very quick. I can't count how many times I've snatched lottery ticket pick ups because of this site. However, the analysis is very, very spotty. Read the blurbs for the news and ignore the analysis because the blurbs are written by different people on any night and if you try to follow their advice you'll feel like it's a schizophrenic giving you advice.

Edited by lbjames6, 22 November 2012 - 01:54 AM.

#3 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 01:52 AM

Bro you should work for Rotoworld

#4 tazdingo

tazdingo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:13 AM

Maybe their insights also got hacked. :P
TEAM A: 12 team, 9-cat roto league on Yahoo! (8th pick overall)

G: J. Wall, J. Holiday, I. Thomas, Jordan Crawford
F: E. Ilyasova, L. James, W. Chandler, C. Frye, C. Brewer
C: S. Hawes, D. Favors, A. Davis, M. Gasol

#5 Finally Detroit Wins

Finally Detroit Wins

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,834 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:18 AM

Especially the "hot free agent alert" when Varejao had 20 rebounds in his first game. The same can be said for football too, the columns and advice are useless.

View Postrraayy3, on 20 August 2012 - 11:16 AM, said:

"experts" do not exist.

get sunday ticket, think for yourself.

#6 Boom Boom Pau

Boom Boom Pau

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 119 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:19 AM

View Postlbjames6, on 22 November 2012 - 01:51 AM, said:

I've said it before and I'll say it again: the news on this site is top notch and it comes in very quick. I can't count how many times I've snatched lottery ticket pick ups because of this site. However, the analysis is very, very spotty. Read the blurbs for the news and ignore the analysis because the blurbs are written by different people on any night and if you try to follow their advice you'll feel like it's a schizophrenic giving you advice.

Well said. B)

#7 TxBoy85

TxBoy85

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:45 AM

I have made many great moves by taking RWs advice and reading these forums. I have noticed the drop in fantasy advice from the blurbs lately but the feedback from the users on these forums is top notch and I find myself checking threads before the main screen blurbs these days.

#8 LILBONEST

LILBONEST

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 02:53 AM

twitter has ruined everything for these sites.  Nothing is "breaking" anymore.  The lack of quality insight really doesnt give rotoworld an upperhand.

#9 tazdingo

tazdingo

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,058 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:19 AM

View PostLILBONEST, on 22 November 2012 - 02:53 AM, said:

twitter has ruined everything for these sites.  Nothing is "breaking" anymore.  The lack of quality insight really doesnt give rotoworld an upperhand.

I don't really use Twitter but I'd like to know what accounts you follow to get the news.
TEAM A: 12 team, 9-cat roto league on Yahoo! (8th pick overall)

G: J. Wall, J. Holiday, I. Thomas, Jordan Crawford
F: E. Ilyasova, L. James, W. Chandler, C. Frye, C. Brewer
C: S. Hawes, D. Favors, A. Davis, M. Gasol

#10 boneyjones

boneyjones

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:37 AM

I totally agree. I have found pointed out to myself many times recently not to listen to some stuff I had been reading, like one day H. Barnes is a must own player in all the leagues and then drop him for a FA next day. Sheesh.

Just ignore what they say even though it is hard to and just make your own decisions, although I sometimes hope they have more insight than me, but often just let you down.

Surprised on the no heads up on MWP at all and he was producing pretty soild all year, and then hes a not must own, but must start in all formats over night?>

TOo many recent examples of this.

GOod post
10-team ESPN H2H 9-Category Leagues
Team 1:
Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker, Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverley, Eric Bledsoe*
Kyle Korver, Kyle Singler, Tobias Harris
Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Markieff Morris, Jonas Valancunias, Jared Sullinger
IR: Anderson Varejao*
Team 2:
Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe*
Kyle Korver, DeMarre Carroll, Kyle Singler
Paul George, Tobias Harris, Matt Barnes
Andre Drummond, Derrick Favors, Ersan Ilyasova
IR: Paul Millsap*

#11 Main Event

Main Event

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 03:58 AM

Well, I tend to apppreciate the Rotoworld blurbs for the instant news they bring. If viewers use the personal opinion notes attached to the news as the be-all-end-all guide to their strategies, then that is their problem. Take the advice with a grain of salt. Run your own teams off your knowledge and intuition based on your league's settings. The Rotoworld writers are not always going to be right with their personal viewpoints. Even the best fantasy basketball managers are probably wrong at least 30% of the time. Let's not forget that we all play different settings and league sizes as well, so what works in one league may not in another.

#12 boneyjones

boneyjones

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:00 AM

View PostMain Event, on 22 November 2012 - 03:58 AM, said:

Well, I tend to apppreciate the Rotoworld blurbs for the instant news they bring. If viewers use the personal opinion notes attached to the news as the be-all-end-all guide to their strategies, then that is their problem. Take the advice with a grain of salt. Run your own teams off your knowledge and intuition based on your league's settings. The Rotoworld writers are not always going to be right with their personal viewpoints. Even the best fantasy basketball managers are probably wrong at least 30% of the time. Let's not forget that we all play different settings and league sizes as well, so what works in one league may not in another.

I completely agree with you! It's just lately there has been a ton of finnicky stuff being thrown out there thats what really got this guy irked enough to post this. And I do not blame him as there has been much more than ususal, despite that the league has gotten off to a crazy start and I know this stuff can get really hectic.

But yeah, your post is spot on
10-team ESPN H2H 9-Category Leagues
Team 1:
Kyrie Irving, Kyle Lowry, Kemba Walker, Russell Westbrook, Patrick Beverley, Eric Bledsoe*
Kyle Korver, Kyle Singler, Tobias Harris
Anthony Davis, Demarcus Cousins, Markieff Morris, Jonas Valancunias, Jared Sullinger
IR: Anderson Varejao*
Team 2:
Kyrie Irving, Mike Conley, Kyle Lowry, Goran Dragic, Eric Bledsoe*
Kyle Korver, DeMarre Carroll, Kyle Singler
Paul George, Tobias Harris, Matt Barnes
Andre Drummond, Derrick Favors, Ersan Ilyasova
IR: Paul Millsap*

#13 paqman78

paqman78

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:54 AM

Yea I've also noticed that so many players are now "must-adds in almost every format".  They love that term now.  I agree with most of them but there are some I definitely don't.
"At the end of the day - we're ALL just speculating....and it's only Fantasy Basketball."

#14 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 06:09 AM

There are no experts. You should have known that to begin with

#15 paqman78

paqman78

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:49 AM

There are two parts to Rotoworld blurbs:  the news part, and the "RW opinion" part underneath it.  What I do is read the news part, close my eyes, scroll down to the next news item, repeat.
"At the end of the day - we're ALL just speculating....and it's only Fantasy Basketball."

#16 edwin23

edwin23

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 432 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think they are trying to blurb more this year which unfortunately sacrifices quality for quantity. It's very evident this year that they have different people covering the same games. I think a better idea for RW is to assign writers to cover the same teams for the full year to provide consistency and better analysis.
OF: Justin Upton

#17 vinz

vinz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:31 AM

The inconsistencies have been pretty noticeable this year. There's an incredible amount of guys "only worth a look in the deepest of leagues" who suddenly in the next game are "must-owns in all formats".

I'm gonna have to echo what most others are saying; use the blurbs as up-to-the-minute updates, nothing more, nothing less. I think we're on our own now for advice
12 team H2H 12-cat (FTM, PF, TECH)

PG: Ty Lawson
SG: Paul George
G: Gordon Hayward
SF: Thaddeus Young
PF: Anthony Davis
F: Dirk Nowitzki
C: DeMarcus Cousins
C: Joakim Noah
Util: Kyle Korver
Util: Tobias Harris
BN: Kendall Marshall
BN: Trey Burke
BN: Tyreke Evans

#18 DLG10

DLG10

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,506 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

I dropped Aminu but I needed a PG and PF/C desperately.  

Some owner who adds him from the WW will be happy.  
Oh well.

#19 imdebaser

imdebaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,014 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 10:48 AM

The burbs isn't too bad as long as you don't take it as gospel. Most of us have played fantasy long enough that we don't need "expert" to tell us who is a must add and who isn't. The only issue I have is the bias towards certain teams. It's obvious the guys writing the burbs do not like Keith Smart and takes every opportunity to bash the guy. Even after beating the Lakers last night, they still take petty cheap shots at him.

#20 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,025 posts

Posted 22 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

The forums help me more than the actual site.