Just....wow

#263 compsella

compsella

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,171 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 06:54 PM

Watchout Mark Reynolds.  Your record's goin' down!!
14-team, H2H, Total Points, 7 Keepers (3-year contracts)

C  Doug Gwosdz, Mackey Sasser
1B  Razor Shines
2B  Arquimedez Pozo
3B  Scat Metha, Jim Walewander
SS  Steve Jeltz
OF  Johnny Dickshot, Rusty Kuntz, Bristol Robotham Lord, Johnny Wockenfuss, Hiram Bocachica
UT  Drungo Hazewood, Coot Veal

SP  Kevin Mmahat, Steve Fireovid, Cannonball Titcomb, Lil Stoner, Roy Face, Juan Eichelberger
RP  Ed Head, Boots Poffenberger, Firpo Marberry, Yorman Bazardo, Fu-Te Ni

MNR Joey Terdoslavich, Rougned Odor, Kevin Quackenbush

#264 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:07 PM

Amazing that he's hitting 2nd while Francisco is 8th.  Gonzalez is bending over backwards to try to get BJ straightened out.

It's good to be owed big money so you just have to show up and not do anything but still get to hit in a premium spot.

#265 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:19 PM

Hey he walked! Please steal!

#266 canilogon

canilogon

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 842 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 07:35 PM

First time having this guy and probably last. I bought into the hype on this site about him getting his numbers. Might just straight drop

#267 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

My gamecast broke. 1-2 from Upton? It's like hitting the lotto this week

#268 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:03 PM

View Postcanilogon, on 07 May 2013 - 07:35 PM, said:

First time having this guy and probably last. I bought into the hype on this site about him getting his numbers. Might just straight drop

He will get his numbers my friend.

#269 papasmurf

papasmurf

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,270 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:05 PM

On my bench. Of course he's outplaying the guys I am starting.

Raburn and Stubbs vs. a lefty. Of course both suck normally but against a lefty they are better

How could I start Upton after the embarrassment last night?

Whoever I bench outhits whoever I start.

#270 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:06 PM

Bought into what hype? His season to season numbers speak for them self  you don't need forum posters to relay that fact.  You must have known he's a streaky player when you drafted him...
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#271 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:07 PM

View Postpapasmurf, on 07 May 2013 - 08:05 PM, said:

Raburn and Stubbs vs. a lefty. Of course both suck normally but against a lefty they are better

The number one rule of owning BJ Upton: You can never sit BJ Upton. You cannot predict his breakouts. You cannot. He's unpredictable. It's frustrating but you play him every week and just deal with it.

He will get his numbers, he always does. You cannot lose patience or you'll end up with a .200 hitter and average numbers in that slot because you WILL miss out on his good weeks.

If you don't have the patience trade him

signed,

BJ Upton owner 4 out of the last 5 years.

#272 ATLBraves

ATLBraves

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:22 PM

Hit at-bats have looked a lot better tonight.

#273 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:45 PM

Ain't no party like a BJ party if BJ Upton don't striiiiike out

#274 pnoozi

pnoozi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:01 PM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 07 May 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

The number one rule of owning BJ Upton: You can never sit BJ Upton. You cannot predict his breakouts. You cannot. He's unpredictable. It's frustrating but you play him every week and just deal with it.

He will get his numbers, he always does. You cannot lose patience or you'll end up with a .200 hitter and average numbers in that slot because you WILL miss out on his good weeks.

signed,

I don't get it.  Why not just bench him until he breaks out?  Afraid of losing that one or two weeks of production on your bench?  Think of how many straight weeks he's tanked your hitting cats.
Developer of the Highlights Chrome extension (currently unpublished, working on bringing it back).

#275 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:07 PM

View Postpnoozi, on 07 May 2013 - 10:01 PM, said:

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 07 May 2013 - 08:07 PM, said:

signed,

I don't get it.  Why not just bench him until he breaks out?  Afraid of losing that one or two weeks of production on your bench?  Think of how many straight weeks he's tanked your hitting cats.

Because you miss weeks like September 3-9 of last year. 5 homeruns, 3 SB, 7 runs scored. http://www.baseball-...atting_gamelogs

Or August 12-18 where he hit another 5 homeruns. http://www.baseball-...atting_gamelogs of last year.

That's 10 homers in 2 weeks. Both times he was in PUTRID slumps. So if you played the "smart" manager you lose out on that.

Trust me. When it comes to BJ you just start him. If you wait until "he starts hitting" he'll go back to being a bum.

The fact that this guy hit 10 homers in 2 weeks (he hit 28 on the year) is absolutely ridiculous.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro, 07 May 2013 - 10:08 PM.

#276 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:12 PM

Here's another great example from last year. From May 6 to May 20 of last year, he struck out 15 times in 49 AB. 0 Hrs and a .693 OPS. You naturally sit him right? He's slumping? That following week:

2 homers and 2 steals.

So you play him right?

Doesn't homer for 21 games.

http://www.baseball-...1&t=b&year=2012

Point: If you manage "smart" with BJ and sit him until he hits, you will never reap the benefits of his hitting because he will randomly hit and then randomly suck.

Edited by NoClownQuestionsBro, 07 May 2013 - 10:13 PM.

#277 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,019 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 10:18 PM

If you don't trust our opinion, can you trust Eric Karabell's?

http://insider.espn....list?src=mobile
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#278 pnoozi

pnoozi

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,219 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 05:25 AM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 07 May 2013 - 10:12 PM, said:

Interesting.  But if he were simply erratic, wouldn't he still be batting closer to his career average of .252?  Right now he's batting .158 on the season and .139 in the last 14 days.  Last year from April 1 to August 11 he was hitting .242 before that monster week, or .238 in the previous 30 games if you want to use the same sample size as this season so far.  I'd definitely give BJ more slack than other guys (you expect the low average) but I definitely think this is a slump.

Edited by pnoozi, 08 May 2013 - 05:33 AM.

Developer of the Highlights Chrome extension (currently unpublished, working on bringing it back).

#279 NoClownQuestionsBro

NoClownQuestionsBro

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,174 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 06:48 AM

I'm sure I looked more in depth I'd find similar stretches to this one. It's been worse than this, I know it. I've owned his guy far too long. One of the years I traded for him he was in a putrid slump.

You can trust me and play him every week or you can manage intelligently. Just be advised that managing "intelligently," and waiting for a breakout is pointless. This guy is random and accumulates his stats in about a week and then sucks for 2 or 3 more weeks then hits again then sucks for 4 more weeks. He makes no sense. He will hit the best pitchers in baseball and suck against the worst. It is who he is.

It would not surprise me if he hit 4 homers the rest of the week and all of you who have benched him suffer. And then next week, when you all play him, he will suck again.

That's BJ Upton.

#280 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,389 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:38 AM

View PostNoClownQuestionsBro, on 08 May 2013 - 06:48 AM, said:

I'm sure I looked more in depth I'd find similar stretches to this one. It's been worse than this, I know it. I've owned his guy far too long. One of the years I traded for him he was in a putrid slump.

You can trust me and play him every week or you can manage intelligently. Just be advised that managing "intelligently," and waiting for a breakout is pointless. This guy is random and accumulates his stats in about a week and then sucks for 2 or 3 more weeks then hits again then sucks for 4 more weeks. He makes no sense. He will hit the best pitchers in baseball and suck against the worst. It is who he is.

It would not surprise me if he hit 4 homers the rest of the week and all of you who have benched him suffer. And then next week, when you all play him, he will suck again.

That's BJ Upton.

QFT

I owned him last year and not this year because of how frustrating he is to own in H2H. But you just have to trust the numbers will be there. He's a guy, along with Bruce and others, that you jump on in roto and avoid in H2H IMO.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users