Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Dayan Viciedo 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:32 AM

I think this kid hits 30+ bombs in 2013. He has massive raw power and hitting 25 homers last year as a 23 year old is pretty impressive. He will once again patrol LF for the south siders and be good for 500+ ABs. Assuming he hits a little higher in the lineup, 90+ rbis could be within reach to go with the 30+ homers. Batting avg? I hate to say it, but he's probably no more than a .260 hitter.

What are your thoughts?

#2 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:52 AM

When you look at his k-rate(high), lack of ability to take a walk & his declining ISO. Expecting in the ballpark of 25 HR's and like you said .260 avg seems reasonable for the 2013 season.

#3 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:07 AM

I think this kid hits 30+ bombs in 2013. He has massive raw power and hitting 25 homers last year as a 23 year old is pretty impressive. He will once again patrol LF for the south siders and be good for 500+ ABs. Assuming he hits a little higher in the lineup, 90+ rbis could be within reach to go with the 30+ homers. Batting avg? I hate to say it, but he's probably no more than a .260 hitter.

What are your thoughts?

I own him in my $130 cap keeper league, for $3 and he is borderline right now, honestly probably on the outside looking in. I was horrific in runs this year, and guys like Dayan were part of the issue, you look at him, you see the 25 Jacks, etc and you are pumped, then you see he only scored like 69 runs for 25 Jacks and 500 at bats that is pretty pathetic, but it is because:
1. He doesnt get on base enough (only .300 OBP)
2. Not that fast so wont guarantee to score
3. White Sox bottom/top not that great to drive him in if he is on base.

Its unlikely but there was some chatter about him moving back to 3B, doesnt seem likely if you read comments but not totally out of the realm if they dont resign Youk, that might change things a bit, but for me right now, Im a little worried that the power isnt enough over the average of where you need to be HR/RBI wise to offset the fact he is a liability, and a somewhat serious one in the other 3 categories.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#4 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 02:09 PM

What are your thoughts?

Yeah he's a lock for 30 if healthy. He hit 25 bombs in only 543 PAs last year.

Viciedo had a really slow start last year. Take out his April and his numbers look something like.

.263 / .312 / .506 / .818

I'm looking forward to drastic improvement next year.

#5 sportsfreak2744

sportsfreak2744

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 08:20 PM

He'll only be 24 in March. This guy is nowhere near a finished product as he still has a lot of room to grow. His BB rate was disappointing last year at 5.2% but he has shown that he is capable of better as he had an 8.9% BB rate in AAA and a 8.0% BB rate in limited duty in 2011.

I'm optimistic on him but I'd put his ceiling at somewhere around .270/.320/.460 with 25-30 bombs.

#6 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,967 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:15 AM

He'll only be 24 in March. This guy is nowhere near a finished product as he still has a lot of room to grow. His BB rate was disappointing last year at 5.2% but he has shown that he is capable of better as he had an 8.9% BB rate in AAA and a 8.0% BB rate in limited duty in 2011.

I'm optimistic on him but I'd put his ceiling at somewhere around .270/.320/.460 with 25-30 bombs.

ceiling? That would barely be an improvement upon last year.

Ceiling wise I'm thinking he'd be more like .280 / .330 / .540 with 34 HRs.

I find it highly unlikely Viciedo slugs under .500 over a healthy season.

#7 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 01:59 AM

From MLB.com...

Class will be in session for Dayan Viciedo and Tyler Flowers early next week, when White Sox hitting coach Jeff Manto makes a trip down the East Coast to Florida... implementing a slight change in Viciedo's hitting approach by adding a small leg kick...

Adding this new Viciedo leg kick came about through discussions involving Manto, assistant hitting coach Harold Baines and manager Robin Ventura. It's something Viciedo employed early on in his White Sox Minor League days, but not consistently from at-bat to at-bat.

Manto doesn't consider himself a big leg kick guy. But in Viciedo's instance, Manto felt it was clearly needed for the 23-year-old talent, who fanned 120 times last season.

"With this leg kick, the timing, his body will be behind the ball more often and give him a better chance for better contact," Manto said. "He's such a tremendous hitter, but sometimes he gets so excited getting after the ball.
"Dayan hit [25] homers and drove in 78 and we are still going to mess with him. That's how good he is, how good we think he is and can be. I'll be able to show him exactly what we think is best for him."

If the leg kick doesn't work for Viciedo once the White Sox get going during Spring Training, then Manto and company will go back to working with Viciedo on what he's been doing and where he feels comfortable. They strongly believe this change will be for the better.

My excitement for Viciedo is growing for this season. Ya ya, he will K a lot and not walk, but for counting stats, I can see 30+ bombs and 90-100 RBI if Robin Ventura puts him in an RBI spot. .255, 25 HR, and 78 RBI was pretty good for the kid as a 23 year old playing full-time in the majors in 2012. I think we will see improvement.

#8 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:10 AM

18hr, 63rbi, 230 avg
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#9 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:28 AM

18hr, 63rbi, 230 avg

Way too pessimistic.Viciedo had a .286 BABIP last year. At the major league level he has a career BABIP of. 302 and a .315 minir league career BABIP.So I fully expect a nice hike in BA.

#10 supac720

supac720

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

The leg kick is an interesting development that could work for him. His power is undeniable. Watching games last year, I do remember a few at-bats where he was fooled and off balance, swung all arms, and still hit a warning track fly ball in the launching pad of the Cell. Correct balance, and those balls are in the 15th row.

#11 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 11:01 AM

The leg kick is an interesting development that could work for him. His power is undeniable. Watching games last year, I do remember a few at-bats where he was fooled and off balance, swung all arms, and still hit a warning track fly ball in the launching pad of the Cell. Correct balance, and those balls are in the 15th row.

...and easily a 30 HR candidate. He has a lot of upside. I'd stash him in late rounds if I had to opportunity to snag him.

#12 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 06:55 PM

18hr, 63rbi, 230 avg

Way too pessimistic.Viciedo had a .286 BABIP last year. At the major league level he has a career BABIP of. 302 and a .315 minir league career BABIP.So I fully expect a nice hike in BA.

If I can grab him late rounds, Ill grab him for his potential. I just have a gut feeling this year.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#13 squantos

squantos

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 09:05 PM

Encanarcion altered his swing last year and look at the numbers he put up. He wasn't even drafted in my league last year and is now a top 30ish player. Cross your fingers for this guy!
C B. McCann
1b E. Encanarcion
2b J Kipnis
ss d santana
3b M Cabrera
OF J Upton, c. gonzalez, B. Harper
U Y. Puig, dickerson

bench D. Span, mooookie, yelich

SP J Verlander, M Cain, G Gonzalez, J Zimmerman, , J Teheran, J Shields, A Cashner, R Porcello, R. Delarosa

RP The revolving door chasing these guys down

minors R. castillo, j. pederson. g polanco

#14 pduce242424

pduce242424

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:14 AM

What are your thoughts?

I own him in my $130 cap keeper league, for $3 and he is borderline right now, honestly probably on the outside looking in. I was horrific in runs this year, and guys like Dayan were part of the issue, you look at him, you see the 25 Jacks, etc and you are pumped, then you see he only scored like 69 runs for 25 Jacks and 500 at bats that is pretty pathetic, but it is because:
1. He doesnt get on base enough (only .300 OBP)
2. Not that fast so wont guarantee to score
3. White Sox bottom/top not that great to drive him in if he is on base.

Its unlikely but there was some chatter about him moving back to 3B, doesnt seem likely if you read comments but not totally out of the realm if they dont resign Youk, that might change things a bit, but for me right now, Im a little worried that the power isnt enough over the average of where you need to be HR/RBI wise to offset the fact he is a liability, and a somewhat serious one in the other 3 categories.

He slotted in the bottom third of the lineup most of the year...traditionally not a spot that guys score a lot of runs

#15 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:31 AM

Love Dayan this year, he's a young Vlad Guerrero -- he's gonna strike out a ton, he's never gonna walk, but he's gonna put up stats because he loves to swing at everything. He was pretty unlucky last year, BABIP of .286 by had an xBABIP of .313, I think he gets up towards .270 this year and should maintain a 20% HR/FB rate (he's got growing power, no reason for that number to drop).

I confidently project him in this range...

.270 - 72 - 27 - 87 - 0, which puts him right around 40th in my OF rankings.

Something to remember about him is that he didn't have a full time job in Spring last year, he started out the year platooning 2 out of 3 days -- this year he'll get full time AB's in Spring.

#16 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:35 AM

this is someone i always pegged as a "is who he is" guy, which is an undisciplined hitter who does nothing for you if he;s not on a hot streak. surprised if you guys think there;s more to him. certainly he's worth attention in deep leagues, but he's never going to be a guy who's a lock for your lineup in 12 teamers.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#17 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 10:41 AM

this is someone i always pegged as a "is who he is" guy, which is an undisciplined hitter who does nothing for you if he;s not on a hot streak. surprised if you guys think there;s more to him. certainly he's worth attention in deep leagues, but he's never going to be a guy who's a lock for your lineup in 12 teamers.

I think he'll be owned in 10 teamers this year. He has so much raw power and hits in a great hitters park.

#18 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 12:47 PM

He was a lock in my 12-team lineup last year (and I finished 2nd in one of the hardest NFBC 12-team leagues ever)

#19 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 01:24 PM

Undisciplined? Because he doesn't draw many walks? His K% was at 22.1% last year, which is more than fine for a 23 year old power hitter.

If you break it down further and see his second half splits his K% and BB% showed drastic improvement.

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,863 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 02:33 PM

Love Dayan this year, he's a young Vlad Guerrero -- he's gonna strike out a ton, he's never gonna walk, but he's gonna put up stats because he loves to swing at everything. He was pretty unlucky last year, BABIP of .286 by had an xBABIP of .313, I think he gets up towards .270 this year and should maintain a 20% HR/FB rate (he's got growing power, no reason for that number to drop).

I confidently project him in this range...

.270 - 72 - 27 - 87 - 0, which puts him right around 40th in my OF rankings.

Something to remember about him is that he didn't have a full time job in Spring last year, he started out the year platooning 2 out of 3 days -- this year he'll get full time AB's in Spring.

That BABIP isnt actually that bad, I wouldn;t say he was pretty unlucky especially considering the average BABIP for most hitters is around .300. I think his BA will improve this year though just because I think he will improve on his BB% and K% likeProSpx mentioned he did n the second half of last year
No Days Off