Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

What are your 2012 critical fantasy blunders so far?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
127 replies to this topic

#1 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:24 AM

I figured this would be an interesting thread as ive made a few mistakes, which i typically know better...but hey what can you do?

So first huge mistake, on my 6-6 team i started off 0-5 and watched Greg Jennings basically go from bad to worse with him culminating in surgery. Cant remember which week but when he had his surgery, i figured he was done. So i had to make moves and felt theres just no way with how Jones, Cobb and Nelson were playing that Jennings was really going to come back and do anything. So here we are, Jennings looking to be back this week and im just kickin myself for dropping him. Definitely a huge error on my part and something you just dont do with a name like Jennings until hes officially ruled out in a huge way. But im sort of hoping he sucks :P

Second one for me was riding with Michael Bush in two leagues all year, even when Forte was out the first time he did nothing much at all...and RIGHT before this past weekend of games started i made a couple moves and dropped him and now Forte is hurt, Bush scores 2 TDs and people on WW are going to EAT Michael Bush up.

And my final mention is no assessing the situation better of Brown and Hillman. Because i had my pick on all 3 basically with the waivers, and went with Hillman. But i liked the look of Brown and I just should of went with him because that addition on my 6-6 team would of been huge. But thankfully i got him on my 9-3 team.

Horrible feeling when you make silly moves like that and someone else might benefit in a huge way.

#2 scienergy

scienergy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:49 AM

Keeper league, I dropped Alfred Morris in the final week of the preseason because I didn't want to play Shanahanigans again this year. Boy was I wrong.

#3 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:52 AM

Yea that hurts, Morris has been quite a surprise this year.

#4 jimithing11

jimithing11

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:54 AM

Pre-draft:

Took Forte as a 'sure thing' instead of gambling on AP
Took Fitz in the third round over A.J. Green and Marshall. On paper, Megatron and Fitz as my WR1 and WR2 looked very appealing. Not so much now.

In-season:

Declining a trade that would have sent my Mathews for Martin and Dez (keeper league). In my defense, it was the week after Mathews went off for 25 points against New Orleans, so I thought he was 'back.' Martin also hadn't done anything to that point and Blount was still the goal line back. That being said, those two games Martin went off, coupled with the few awesome games by Dez would have given me two more wins and a playoff berth.

Now I didn't even make the playoffs.

10-team PPR Keeper League

QB -- Luck
RB -- Charles, Foster, Hyde, K. Davis, Blue
WR -- Crabtree, Wallace, Harvin, Hunter, J. Gordon, Harvin, Andre Holmes
TE -- Kelce
K -- Streamling
DST -- Streaming

14-team PPR Keeper League

QB -- Stafford

RB -- J. Bell, Vereen, Oliver, F. Jackson, Hillman, A. Williams

WR -- Julio, Brown, Crabtree, Edelman, Hawkins

TE -- Walker

K -- Gostowski

DST -- Bengals

#5 nb009

nb009

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,422 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 11:59 AM

Paying a little extra to get Evan Royster (on impulse), when I initially went into my auction draft intending to take a $1-2 flier on Alfred Morris.

Spending more than half of my auction budget on Darren McFadden, DeMarco Murray, and Kevin Smith.

Declining a trade of Darren McFadden for Trent Richardson at around Week 5 (still held hope).
14 team, Standard league, Auction draft / waivers

#6 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,973 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:02 PM

I am going to have a nice list for this one.

1) Drafted Murray and Charles over AP.

2) Didn't trade Torrey Smith/M.Bush for Nelson/Ingram ( I really believed in Torrey at that time)

3) Traded Alfred Morris away for Nate Washington/Cedric Benson after Week 1 because I wanted nothing to do with Shananigans after dealing with it last year.

4) Traded Dez/Alfred Morris for Larry Fitzgerald about a week before Dez started going off

5) Believed that Ryan Mathews would be a Top 5 back.

6) Believed Demarco Murray would be a Top 10 back.

O well, thems the breaks. These are over a few different leagues, two of them I still made the playoffs, but the Demarco and Mathews league I've been out since Week 5 haha.

#7 tonavin

tonavin

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:04 PM

Thought I was getting the steal of the draft when I took Benson in the 6th.

Went all-in on Ryan Williams. Drafted him on 5 teams, expecting huge things.

Week 2, picked up James Jones when I heard Jennings was out. Felt like the cleverest *********** in the world. Put up 2 points. I plugged him into my flex over Amendola, who had a 15-160-1 line (PPR too, to boot) on my bench. Proceeded to drop James out of disgust, to see him go on a mini-tear in the ensuing weeks.

Week 3, picked up Ramses Barden when Nicks and Cruz were out (or just injured, w/e), but this time didn't have the balls to plug him in because of last week's blunder. 9-138 line on my bench. At least with Barden I knew it was a flukey one-off so I didn't get burned thereafter.

Jermichael Finley. Keeper. Moving on.

In another league I ended up with RG3 and Luck as my QBs. I can distinctly remember costing myself at least 3 weeks solely because I played the wrong QB on a given week.

More draft day misfires: Brandon Lloyd and Ryan Mathews.

Shipped off Trent Richardson for Larry Fitzgerald. Granted, I was RB-heavy in that league (Martin and Rice as my starters with no flex spot), and it did seem like fair value, just annoyed seeing Fitz have to deal with horrible QB play yet again.

#8 DaBearz15

DaBearz15

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:05 PM

Traded for Tony Romo and dropped Josh Freeman right before Freeman started going off.

#9 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:08 PM

Dropped Michael Bush last week and likely the team i will be facing this week will pick him up
We both will be fighting for a playoff spot

#10 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Dropped Michael Bush last week and likely the team i will be facing this week will pick him up

Nice to see that im not alone in dropping him. Hes just been so nothing this year, and I really thought that he was going to be in a lull all year. I just hope he doesnt explode and really give someone the edge, thats such a bad feeling knowing that was your player lol

#11 jjson2008

jjson2008

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,591 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:11 PM

Off top of my head - Dropped Cobb in one league after early season dud. In the other league, I picked up Cobb when someone did the same thing as me.

Spent half my money on Rashad Jennings too lol
10 Team PPR
QB Kaep
RB Spiller, Forte, Wilson, Martin
WR Cobb, ABrown, Gordon, DMoore
TE Graham
DEF KC

#12 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:13 PM

drafted dmc, stafford, harvin, mathews, stevie, finley and thought i'd be cruising all year ... oh and dropped alfred morris/randall cobb after the draft in the same league.

Its disturbing how reliant i'm gonna have to be ob beanie + moreno.

it doesnt help that i've got the most points against me in this league either...

#13 Mcova23

Mcova23

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,891 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Nice to see that im not alone in dropping him. Hes just been so nothing this year, and I really thought that he was going to be in a lull all year. I just hope he doesnt explode and really give someone the edge, thats such a bad feeling knowing that was your player lol

I had to pick up a defense and at that time i had no one to drop. i was going to pick him up this week even if forte didn't get injured

#14 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:15 PM

Yea i dropped Cobb too, that one still stings.

#15 mjkp64

mjkp64

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:16 PM

Rejected a trade offering me Martin and Colston for Harvin. This was before Martin's blowup and while Colston was dealing with his foot issues ... and before Harvin's injury. So, I guess it wasn't a terrible move at the time, but would like to have done it now.

Still in 1st though, and in a good spot to win some $$, so no harm no foul.
12 Team PPR/Return Yards/All TDs 6 Points
QB Matthew Stafford
WR Randall Cobb
WR Roddy White
WR Golden Tate
RB Jamaal Charles
RB Matt Asiata
TE Travis Kelce
W/R/T Reggie Wayne
K Hauschka
Def SD
BN Josh Gordon, James Jones, Donald Brown, Jordan Cameron, Shane Vareen, Knile Davis

#16 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:20 PM

I offered doug martin+alfred morris for mccoy a month ago... guy declined. ("i dont want some rookie and a redskins scrub. mccoys a beast".)

he's 2-10.

#17 predator_05

predator_05

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,034 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:21 PM

Rejected a Doug Martin for McFadden trade sometime around week 5. I guess i couldn't see Martin's mid-season explosion coming like most people, but i knew how crap McFadden was...

Also drafted Helu instead of Morris, had no idea who the starter was.
"I've eaten burritos bigger than you."

- JJ Watt to Ray Rice (10/23/2012)

#18 calz way

calz way

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 206 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:25 PM

This is weird because I don't have a huge, "that move cost me the championship" type mistake this year. I have made a habit of getting guys I think are undervalued then dropping/trading them before they have transcendent/historic seasons (dropped 2011 Gronk for Felix jones preseason, traded 2011 Stafford for Freeman preseason, dropped Mike Trout after he was in the majors for some random pitcher because I thought "his numbers would regress to the mean"... lol). I did make a mistake in overpaying for a QB I ultimately didn't need though, gave up Reggie Wayne and Ridley for Big Ben. There were no alternatives at the time, but if I had stuck to my guns of streaming a QB until one emerged Dalton, Freeman and even Russell Wilson were all available at the time. And if I was gonna overpay I should have thrown in Murray...
ESPN 12 team money league, H2H each cat., usual 8 categories plus 3pt % and assist to turnover ratio
PG: Russell Westbrook, Tyreke Evans, Raymond Felton
SG: Evan Turner, Paul George
SF: Carmelo Anthony, Jared Dudley, Al-Farouq Aminu
PF: David Lee, Dirk Nowitzki, Tiago Splitter
C: Tiago Splitter, Marc Gasol, Andrew Bogut

#19 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,046 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:27 PM

Gave up Reggie and Ridley for Ben? Ouch...

#20 munygon2

munygon2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 12:29 PM

I picked up Parmele instead of Bryce Brown thinking that McCoy's injury wasn't as serious (I have McCoy). What a mess I am in now. I lost McGahee, McCoy, Parmele, and what looks like Jonathan Stewart to injuries. I lost Cedric Benson early in the season as well - just a terrible year for RB's on my team.