Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Carlos Ruiz 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,908 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 04:43 PM

Well, could be linked to his career year....

Carlos Ruiz has been suspended 25 games by Major League Baseball for the use of amphetamines.
"Chooch" will serve the punishment at the start of the 2013 regular season. It's a major blow to the Phillies, who have come to rely on the veteran catcher's improved offensive production. Ruiz, 33, batted .325/.394/.540 with 16 home runs and 68 RBI in 2012.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,200 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:07 PM

The suspension is for Adderall, a stimulant, and not a "performance enhancer".

As far as I can tell, the biggest benefit he would have received was improved stamina, so I think it had more to do with his playing time, and less with any statistical improvement.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:23 PM

so, what if a guy has ADD? I assume that's okay. he couldn't get some neurologist or psychiatrist to bs him something? don't they do that all the time? I feel like everyone has "ADD" these days.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,908 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

As far as I can tell, the biggest benefit he would have received was improved stamina, so I think it had more to do with his playing time, and less with any statistical improvement.

Adderall can certainly be a PED when misused. It's not classified as a steroid but increased alertness, focus, weight loss, and stamina are all benefits linked to Adderall. It's in the amphetamine class of drugs and can have beneficial impact on a player's performance. It's the latest hot button in sports (NFL has had a rash of Adderall suspensions) and the NFL is already looking at closing the loop hole in the offseason. It's already on the Do Not Take list in baseball. Similar drugs were a huge problem in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, hence it's choice for players from that era to expound their virtues while condemning folks from the "steroid era". Definitely has advantages, so yes it's a Performance Enhancing Drug....

We all know the Sooch is a stouter fellow that plays a demanding position, so you could certainly see the seduction of a drug that helps keep off the weight, allows you to focus for longer spells of time, and helps with stamina....

#5 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:36 PM

Adderall can certainly be a PED when misused. It's not classified as a steroid but increased alertness, focus, weight loss, and stamina are all benefits linked to Adderall. It's in the amphetamine class of drugs and can have beneficial impact on a player's performance. It's the latest hot button in sports (NFL has had a rash of Adderall suspensions) and the NFL is already looking at closing the loop hole in the offseason. It's already on the Do Not Take list in baseball. Similar drugs were a huge problem in the 60's, 70's, and 80's, hence it's choice for players to expound their virtues while condemning folks from the "steroid era". Definitely has advantages, so yes it's a Performance Enhancing Drug....

We all know the Sooch is a stouter fellow that plays a demanding position, so you could certainly see the seduction of a drug that helps keep off the weight, allows you to focus for longer spells of time, and helps with stamina....

having taken aderall, its pretty awesome. And of all sports I could think of helping in, baseball is certainly up there because it really helps in concentration which is probably one of the most important aspects of hitting.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#6 AdamPA1006

AdamPA1006

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 562 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:37 PM

Or this is what all the players are saying they are taking, when they are taking other drugs. Must be passing out adderall like candy

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 25,908 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

Or this is what all the players are saying they are taking, when they are taking other drugs. Must be passing out adderall like candy

That's the NFL's big problem right now. Since the NFL doesn't publish what triggered the positive test, players are using Adderall as cover to save face in the public's eye.....big controversy behind the scenes right now....

#8 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,573 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:42 PM

you're confusing this with football. In football they have a policy where the nfl doesnt have to disclose to the public what they get caught for, so the players just say they used aderall because its probably least bad to their PR.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#9 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

2010: 121 games, 433 PA's, .302 AVG & 8 HR's
ISO: .146, BABIP: .335, & HR/FB: 7.2%

2011: 132 games, 472 PA's .283 AVG & 6 HR's
ISO: .100, BABIP: .308 & HR/FB: 4.4%

2012: 114 games, 421 PA's, .325 AVG &16 HR's
ISO: .215, BABIP: .339 & HR/FB: 15.10%

Basically a catcher at the age of 33 gave fantasy owners a career year in almost all catagories across the board. I will want no part of one Carlos Ruiz in 2013.

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:33 PM

If this makes him far fall enough in drafts, then he may be worth the risk. I do think he will regress, but was still a solid hitter in the years before this past career year.
Bring back Ray!

#11 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 27 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

From 2007-11: 118.4 games, 6.6 HR's & hit below .259 in three of those five years. He could not fall far enough for me to think about drafting him.

#12 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:37 PM

If this makes him far fall enough in drafts, then he may be worth the risk. I do think he will regress, but was still a solid hitter in the years before this past career year.

His auction value in my league has ranged from $1 to an all time high of 5 bucks last year. Someone might bite on him but I'm with DKOA R on this one. There are better cheap options even in 2 catcher leagues (Travis D'arnaud or Wellington Castillo come to mind).
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#13 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:45 PM

From 2007-11: 118.4 games, 6.6 HR's & hit below .259 in three of those five years. He could not fall far enough for me to think about drafting him.

You can't compare him to his 07 or 08 form. He's aged and his stats have progressed from them. Just because he took aderall doesn't mean he will revert back to his form from 5 years ago. I was talking more about his 10-11 years, where he averaged a .291 average, 7 homers, and 47 RBI's. Those aren't bad stats for a maybe $1 catcher in either a deep league or 2 catcher league.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 27 November 2012 - 07:45 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#14 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 07:59 PM

You can't compare him to his 07 or 08 form. He's aged and his stats have progressed from them. Just because he took aderall doesn't mean he will revert back to his form from 5 years ago. I was talking more about his 10-11 years, where he averaged a .291 average, 7 homers, and 47 RBI's. Those aren't bad stats for a maybe $1 catcher in either a deep league or 2 catcher league.

The bigger problem in my mind is that he is going to miss 25 games along with rest days and day games after night games. When all is said and done he could miss more then a third of the season. Then who do you have acruing stats for you? Humberto Quintero. It also kind of stinks carrying 3 catchers in a league with a small bench.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#15 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 08:20 PM

I believe Adderall is also a masking agent for other PEDs, which is part of why there is a rash of suspensions in the NFL (and now MLB)
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#16 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 09:17 PM

catchers have power spikes at a later age than other hitters. they also improve their plate discipline. after all, they see tons and tons of pitches.

with that said, 2012 was almost certainly his career year.

#17 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 10:35 AM

In other news, the Jays have traded for Ruiz
jk

:ph34r:
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#18 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 04:25 PM

so evidently MLB has their own doctors who would determine whether he has ADD/ADHD.

it is also fuzzy as to whether or not Adderall can be used as a masking agent.

#19 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,951 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 07:52 PM

I believe Adderall is also a masking agent for other PEDs, which is part of why there is a rash of suspensions in the NFL (and now MLB)

The rash of suspensions in the NFL that are blamed on Adderal likely has more to do with PR. The NFL does not announce what substance a player tested positive for and Adderal sounds better for the players from a PR stand point than saying they were using Dianabol. Ive never heard of it being a masking agent for other PED before, generally a masking agent will either be a diuretic (to dillute) or a counter substacnce to offset an increased ratio of testosterone etc.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#20 octapuss

octapuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 711 posts

Posted 01 March 2013 - 09:17 PM

so 2012 was a career year, what will 2013 be? A small regression? With 25 games missed who will you pick up for April? I wonder how long it will take for him to get back up to speed and be productive? Can his back up steal his job?
16 Team Dynasty League /  Weekly Head 2 Head / 14 by 14 Roto

C-   Lucroy
1B - Gonzalez, Napoli, Adams
2B - Altuve
3B - Longoria
SS - Reyes, Owings
LF - Gordon
CF - Jennings, Martin
RF - Markikis

DL -

SP - Cobb, A. Sanchez, Salazar, Niese, Fister, Wheeler, Kennedy
RP - Street, Perkins, Wilson

Batting - 1B, 2B, 3B, HR, BB, R, RBI, SB, HBP, IBB,   / (negative points)  K, GIDP, CS, E
Pitching - IP, W, SV, K, HD, CG, SO / (negative points) BB, HB, ER, L, BS, H, WP