Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Mike Fiers 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
98 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM

2013 MLB:   3.74 era, 1.26 whip, 135 k in 127.2 ip (3.09 FIP, 3.47 xFIP)
Career Minors: 2.80 era, 1.02 whip, 370 k in 347 ip

What do you guys expect from Mike Fiers in 2013?  Based on his strong minor league numbers, I dont think he was a total fluke.  He did struggle down the stretch, probably because of the innings piling up.  However, his performance for the Brewers was pretty similar to his minor league track record.  One thing of concern is that he has a slow fastball (88-90 mph).  With his funky delivery, it was pretty effective.  His changeup and curveball are pretty filthy.

My bold prediction: 175 IP, 170 K, 3.65 era, 1.20 whip

Fair or foul?

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,525 posts

Posted 28 November 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostChrisFarley, on 27 November 2012 - 05:45 PM, said:

What do you guys expect from Mike Fiers in 2013?  Based on his strong minor league numbers, I dont think he was a total fluke.  He did struggle down the stretch, probably because of the innings piling up.  However, his performance for the Brewers was pretty similar to his minor league track record.  One thing of concern is that he has a slow fastball (88-90 mph).  With his funky delivery, it was pretty effective.  His changeup and curveball are pretty filthy.

Fair or foul?
Pretty fair, assuming he stays OK and runs out there for 30 starts, I think your numbers seem reasonable.  I think he will be a pretty good value too in auctions and drafts.  The fact he isnt a big time prospect or on any top 100 lists will keep many pessimistic about him.  In my 13-team mixed league, Ive got a 9-man staff, the 7 spot is usually flyer closer/starter type, so if Im getting him for a few bucks and sliding into the 6 spot or maybe 5 spot on draft night, I'd be just fine with that.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:07 AM

Just wanted to re-visit and see if anyone had any new thoughts on what to expect from Fiers in 2013.

#4 Code of Hammurabi

Code of Hammurabi

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,583 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 11:40 AM

For some reason he reminds me a ton of Shaun Marcum
EMBODYING & ADVOCATING FRIENDLY PHILOSOPHY SINCE 1978

#5 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 12:09 PM

View PostCode of Hammurabi, on 10 January 2013 - 11:40 AM, said:

For some reason he reminds me a ton of Shaun Marcum

Which isn't bad because he will most likely be a lot cheaper. I actually completely forgot about him until I saw this thread. I've been doing a some reading on sites and havent seen him mentioned yet. I think him and Doubrant could be some good sleepers.
No Days Off

#6 Impeccable

Impeccable

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:18 PM

Fair or foul?

Fair prediction but was his melt down in the second half due to hitters figuing him out or fatigue?  His fastball is far from impressive.
12 Team H2H-15 Keepers Weekly Lineups (7 x 7) Standard Cats plus Total Bases, Ks, K/BB and Losses

C-Mauer
1B-Craig
2B-Pedroia
SS-Jeter
3B-Aram
MI-Kinsler
CI-Konerko
OF-Gordon
OF-Cargo
OF-McCutchen
OF-Gomez
Util-Seager
Bench- C. Davis, Youk

SPs-Peavy, Fiers, Haren J. Zimmerman,
RPs- Motte, Street, Frieri, Holland, Balfour

#7 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:33 PM

View PostImpeccable, on 21 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Fair or foul?

Fair prediction but was his melt down in the second half due to hitters figuing him out or fatigue?  His fastball is far from impressive.
His 2nd half was by no means a melt downYes his ERA was 4.56 and WHIP was 1.37 but he still had 85 Ks and 6 wins over 81 innings.  Yes it wasn't great but it also wasn't Lincecum or Liriano.  They had melt downs.If anything you could say he melted down in September.  At that point I think it's fair to assume arm fatigue for a rookie.

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:34 PM

View PostImpeccable, on 21 January 2013 - 08:18 PM, said:

Fair or foul?

I feel like Fiers is going to be boom or bust this year, with the result coming from the answer to this question. If he was figured out, it could be a rough start to the year before he eventually gets the boot from the rotation. Similar to what happened to Josh Collmenter last year. But if it was from fatigue, then he could be solid again next year.
Bring back Ray!

#9 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM

Collmenter is a good comparasion but even he still had a very productive year and wasn't nearly as dominating the year before.

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 08:57 PM

View PostPRoSPx, on 21 January 2013 - 08:39 PM, said:

Collmenter is a good comparasion but even he still had a very productive year and wasn't nearly as dominating the year before.

If you had Collmenter at the start of the year, you wouldn't be saying that he was productive. He was dreadful in the rotation to start the year before rebounding as a reliever. Fiers may eventually be better suited for the bullpen. With his different delivery, he may be better off coming out of the bullpen and throwing one or two innings at a time. That way the hitters wouldn't be able to prepare for his delivery.
Bring back Ray!

#11 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 21 January 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yeah I looked into.his splits and Collmenter had a terrible April but even that considered he still had a very nice season when healthy.

#12 Wombat

Wombat

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,761 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 02:12 AM

This guy caught my eye when looking through the SP list.  He was dominating up until an awful SEP which totally inflated his numbers, for a while he was rocking a 2 ERA with over a k per inning and he finished the year with 135 k's in 127 innings.  Now, I know he throws like 89 as a RH pitcher so he has to have some sort of deception.  Did he gas out at the end of the year? Or did people just start to figure him out?

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,309 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 12:22 PM

View PostWombat, on 11 February 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

This guy caught my eye when looking through the SP list.  He was dominating up until an awful SEP which totally inflated his numbers, for a while he was rocking a 2 ERA with over a k per inning and he finished the year with 135 k's in 127 innings.  Now, I know he throws like 89 as a RH pitcher so he has to have some sort of deception.  Did he gas out at the end of the year? Or did people just start to figure him out?

This is what I am wondering on him as well, but I guess I wont really know until spring training and the start of the season. If his value is good on draft day I might take the risk anyway, but I could see him ending up someone I drop within the first couple of weeks
No Days Off

#14 iAugust

iAugust

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 01:14 PM

I prefer Estrada slightly for the Brewers this year personally, though I think both could provide good value if drafted at the right time.

#15 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,644 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:04 PM

View Postklove42, on 11 February 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

View PostWombat, on 11 February 2013 - 02:12 AM, said:

This is what I am wondering on him as well, but I guess I wont really know until spring training and the start of the season. If his value is good on draft day I might take the risk anyway, but I could see him ending up someone I drop within the first couple of weeks

His season will probably go one of two ways. He either just ran out of gas and will come back this year and put together a good year, or he will flame out because he was figured out and lost his deception.
Bring back Ray!

#16 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 11:07 PM

View PostiAugust, on 11 February 2013 - 01:14 PM, said:

I prefer Estrada slightly for the Brewers this year personally, though I think both could provide good value if drafted at the right time.

Ditto. I think Estrada's going to be great....Fiers, around average.

#17 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,249 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

He hasn't been to good this spring and is scheduled as the Brewers 5th starter so not sure when he will make his 1st reg. season start.
Either way I'm not getting great vibes from him and may cut bait before he even throws a pitch for my team this season.

#18 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,217 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:49 PM

Rocked again today.
3 IP, 7 ER, 8 H, 2 BB

His spring ERA is 6.98.  I know, it's spring.  But it would be nice if he showed something -- or anything -- before the regular season gets underway.

#19 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,018 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 04:51 PM

Fiers isn't someone that can just go out and overpower a lineup.  He's got to get back into his groove and start locating
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#20 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 795 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:23 PM

Fiers isn't Collmenter.  He does it with one of the best curves in baseball.  He's going to get rocked some days, but he should have the same longevity as any other pitcher with good off speed stuff and location.