Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Popovich's RevengeSerbian Tacos

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
202 replies to this topic

#1 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts
  • Interests:I like-a table tennis, a sun bathe, and a shoot dog.

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:08 PM

What's up with Popovich benching Manu, Parker, Duncan, and Danny Green for "rest" tonight??  It's a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat and with the team only 15 games into the season it seems a bit passive aggressive, especially since it's not just Duncan, it includes Manu who hasn't been logging heavy minutes, Parker who has been but probably doesn't really need the rest, and Danny Green who is a young, athletic starter.  Makes me think if Kawhi Leonard was available he'd probably be held out, too - this might be why he isn't playing until Saturday.  

So what's up with this, is Popovich pissed off at the NBA about something??  Is this some sort of mind game with the Miami heat, de-activating your entire starting 5 for the 1st meeting of the year??  Or is Popovich really that concerned about resting his best players 15 games into the season??
How'd you get the beans above the frank!?

#2 monkeyzonSteroids

monkeyzonSteroids

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,693 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

Pop is trying to send a big FU to the NBA. This is their 4th game in 5th night, while the Heat haven't played in 5 days....just awful scheduling.

#3 undefined

undefined

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:10 PM

This is why I like Popovich.  And why I don't own any Spurs.
"He could have had a much bigger game."  -- words etched on Dez Bryant's tombstone.

#4 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:11 PM

I agree with Monkeyz above, it's a message to the nba
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Loney, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Myers, Justin Upton, Kemp, Melky, Morrison, Dee Gordon, Russell, Olt

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Odorizzi, Cingrani, Ventura, Hutchison, Kazmir, Milone, Skaggs

16 Team, 3 Player Keeper Auction
PG:  Rondo, Rubio, Lowry, Marshall
RB:  Hayward, Leonard, Reddick
SF:  Gay, Parsons, Barnes
PF:  Lee, P. Gasol
C:  Aldridge, R. lopez, Hawes

#5 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

Sucks for me because I have two of those guys but I can see where Pop is coming from
Hitters:  Molina, Loney, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Myers, Justin Upton, Kemp, Melky, Morrison, Dee Gordon, Russell, Olt

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Odorizzi, Cingrani, Ventura, Hutchison, Kazmir, Milone, Skaggs

#6 imdebaser

imdebaser

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,011 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM

The NBA has no one to blame but themselves. What a joke of a schedule for the Spurs this month. I have Duncan and I'm glad Pop is giving Stern a middle finger.

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 23,804 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:13 PM

View Postkrupocin, on 29 November 2012 - 05:08 PM, said:

What's up with Popovich benching Manu, Parker, Duncan, and Danny Green for "rest" tonight??  It's a nationally televised game against the Miami Heat and with the team only 15 games into the season it seems a bit passive aggressive, especially since it's not just Duncan, it includes Manu who hasn't been logging heavy minutes, Parker who has been but probably doesn't really need the rest, and Danny Green who is a young, athletic starter.  Makes me think if Kawhi Leonard was available he'd probably be held out, too - this might be why he isn't playing until Saturday.  

So what's up with this, is Popovich pissed off at the NBA about something??  Is this some sort of mind game with the Miami heat, de-activating your entire starting 5 for the 1st meeting of the year??  Or is Popovich really that concerned about resting his best players 15 games into the season??

Pop doesn't care about the NBA's TV ratings, he cares about the welfare of his team.  End of a 6 game road trip including Tgiving on the road.  A way to get extended rest for the guys that are shouldering most of the high leveraged minutes.  Miami has been off for 4-5 nights in a row and the Spurs are playing their 4th in 5 nights.  This is about Pop taking care of his team and maybe a small middle finger to the NBA scheduling committee.  I find it hilarious....
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 BirdofPrey

BirdofPrey

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:14 PM

Time to put all your money on the Heat hoping this isn't a conspiracy.

#9 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

View PostChubbles, on 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

Sucks for me because I have two of those guys but I can see where Pop is coming from

I guess I see where he's coming from but it's not like the Spurs are a poor down-trodden franchise that is constantly beat on by the NBA haha.   Don't get me wrong, I like San Antonio & Popovich 1000x more than the Heat but I would be pissed if I paid to see this game, it's really a screw you to the fans just as much.  Sometimes your schedule just sucks, see what happens if you try to pull this next time you need to stay late a few days in a row at work to finish up a big project while your competitor has a holiday.
(edit- soon as I posted this though, I realize I kinda would think it's awesome if my boss did this, so score one for the Spurs haha)

Edited by krupocin, 29 November 2012 - 05:16 PM.

#10 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM

Great coaching is what it is

#11 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:18 PM

View Postkrupocin, on 29 November 2012 - 05:15 PM, said:

View PostChubbles, on 29 November 2012 - 05:12 PM, said:

I guess I see where he's coming from but it's not like the Spurs are a poor down-trodden franchise that is constantly beat on by the NBA haha.   Don't get me wrong, I like San Antonio & Popovich 1000x more than the Heat but I would be pissed if I paid to see this game, it's really a screw you to the fans just as much.  Sometimes your schedule just sucks, see what happens if you try to pull this next time you need to stay late a few days in a row at work to finish up a big project while your competitor has a holiday.
(edit- soon as I posted this though, I realize I kinda would think it's awesome if my boss did this, so score one for the Spurs haha)

i agree about the fans, it's an inadvertant F. U. to the fans in the arena and at home as well but Pop doesn't give a S*** about stuff like that...it's how he operates

#12 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,319 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:28 PM

Maybe he thinks he can win with Patty Mills, Gary Neal, DeJuan Blair and Tiago Splitter ;)
12 team roto, 9 cats(NO turnovers, 9th cat is double doubles)
PG: Carter-Williams, Oladipo, Augustin
SG: Korver, Ellis, Leonard
SF: Durant, Leonard, Middleton
PF: Millsap, Bosh,
C: Drummond, Hawes, Gortat

#13 BoredSam

BoredSam

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:31 PM

They showed a stat on NBA TV that the spurs set an away game wins record, 29 wins in 33 away games. Guess that ends 2nite.

#14 Assasinn3

Assasinn3

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:32 PM

Pop is a genius and I doubt this is more than a game to rest his stars -- great time to do it considering it's against the Heat, it's early in the season so there is no point for his starters to go all out after 4 games in 5 nights, and it brings a "what if" factor to the next meeting if the Heat win. But honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if the Spurs came out on top because the Heat will take it lightly and fall apart.

#15 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,550 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Heat should bench Lebron, Wade and Bosh as a sign of solidarity!

#16 krupocin

krupocin

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,341 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:50 PM

View PostChubbles, on 29 November 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

Heat should bench Lebron, Wade and Bosh as a sign of solidarity!

They'd need to bench a semi-anonymous starter too tough so through Chalmers onto that list.

#17 aaa1

aaa1

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:55 PM

One of the reasons I avoid all good Spurs in drafts and trades. If you were relying on their games today you are screwed.

Edited by aaa1, 29 November 2012 - 05:55 PM.

10 team H2H (PTS, 3s, FG%, FT%, OREB, DREB, AST, STL, BLK), PG-G-G-F-F-C-UTILx3

#18 Thats Ridiculous

Thats Ridiculous

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:00 PM

it's too bad.
I wanted to see how the Spurs would do agianst the Heat.

Some may say Pop is being a crybaby.

#19 clintonj8

clintonj8

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:02 PM

This kind of pisses me off as a Spurs fan in Berkeley as this will surely result in fewer nationally televised games.  They already suffer from a lack of coverage.  But, I must say, I think it's funny as hell, and more a result of coincidence (tough scheduling) than trying to stick it to Stern.  I love how the nationally televised game on a short NBA night didn't even factor into Pop's decision.  Not even a little.

#20 Thats Ridiculous

Thats Ridiculous

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • 13,642 posts

Posted 29 November 2012 - 06:08 PM

Pop is just being a douche.
the Spurs played 3 weak a** teams in a row.  (Raptors, Wizards, and Magic on Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday)
Pop knew the Spurs were gonna play the Heat on Thursday.  So why the hell didn't he just "rest" his players during 1 or 2 of those games against those 3 weak teams instead?
He could've gave them the rest yesterday, and they'd be ready to go today against the defending Champs.

Pop is trying to play mind games with the Heat.
That's my opinion.  He doesn't want to give them some confidence, because right now the Spurs aren't 100%.   I understand what he's doing.