Jump to content

Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

Denard Span 2013 OutlookMoving to DC


  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Baltimore, MD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM

Quote

Nationals acquired OF Denard Span from the Twins for RHP Alex Meyer.

Span has always been a solid hitter, but has flown under the radar because he was in Minnesota. Now that he is in Washington with a solid lineup around him, what's his upside?

.290 average/100 runs/4 homers/50 rbi's/30 steals?

Edited by baltimore_boy, 29 November 2012 - 05:43 PM.

Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#2 tron34

tron34

    Allstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:KC

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:43 PM

Nice signing for the Nationals, I assume he'll be their everyday leadoff hitter. Always seemed like he did a nice  job with the Twins, atleast when he played the Royals. Should score a lot of runs having Z, Harper LaRoche and Morse behind him.
"How bad is it for Larry Fitzgerald that when he finishes pre game, that's the best part of his day?"- Mike Golic

#3 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,483 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Baltimore, MD

Posted 29 November 2012 - 05:46 PM

View Posttron34, on 29 November 2012 - 05:43 PM, said:

Nice signing for the Nationals, I assume he'll be their everyday leadoff hitter. Always seemed like he did a nice  job with the Twins, atleast when he played the Royals. Should score a lot of runs having Z, Harper LaRoche and Morse behind him.

LaRoche is probably gone with this move. Morse moves to first and Span joins Harper and Werth in the outfield. There's no room in the inn for LaRoche.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 29 November 2012 - 05:47 PM.

Bring back Ray!

RotoJunction.com

#4 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 29 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

I don't see much to get excited about with this move(fantasy).

On a side not about Adam LaRoche. The Red Sox and Adam are in talks right now.

#5 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,012 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Bronx
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 29 November 2012 - 09:02 PM

Nats have had a boner for Span since last offseason. Not sure why.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Mesoraco
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Belt
2B/ Wong
SS/ Everth
MI/ Hardy
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Sandoval
SP/ Felix, Sale, Teheran, Bailey, Lohse
Eovaldi, Peralta, M Perez
RP/ Ross, Richards
BN/ Lowrie, Fowler
DL/Latos

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#6 MontyBrns9

MontyBrns9

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,485 posts
  • Location:PED era

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:59 PM

Because they have been coveting someone who can play CF and hit leadoff. Span is one of the better available options out there. As a Nats fan, I'm happier with this than BJ Upton, whose average would cause me to have bad acid flashbacks of the days of Adam Dunn and Josh Wilingham.
10 team H2H league: 5x5 + OPS & K/BB (Currently in 1st place)
C: Yadier Molina - 1B: David Ortiz - 2B: Jason Kipnis - 3B: Manny Machado - SS: Jean Segura
OF: Carlos Gonzalez, Jayson Werth, Domonic Brown - UTIL: Carlos Quentin, Chase Headley
SP: Cliff Lee, Jeff Samardzija, Mike Minor, John Lackey, Patrick Corbin
RP: Jason Grilli, Greg Holland
Bench: Billy Butler, Edward Mujica, Matt Kemp, Ivan Nova, Ervin Santana - DL: BJ Upton, Matt Holliday

#7 SurlyRobot

SurlyRobot

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,231 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Quote

Nationals acquired OF Denard Span from the Twins for RHP Alex Meyer.

Span has always been a solid hitter, but has flown under the radar because he was in Minnesota. Now that he is in Washington with a solid lineup around him, what's his upside?

.290 average/100 runs/4 homers/50 rbi's/30 steals?
I agree with everything but the steals, I'd give him 20 tops if he worked really on his baserunning awareness in the offseason and ran aggressively all season, but he is not very good on the basepaths.  The Twins would always try and encourage him to steal more but he never really seems to get it, he gets picked off a ton for as fast as he is.

#8 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Haslett, MI
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:53 AM

View PostSurlyRobot, on 07 December 2012 - 01:19 AM, said:

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 29 November 2012 - 05:40 PM, said:

Quote

Nationals acquired OF Denard Span from the Twins for RHP Alex Meyer.

Span has always been a solid hitter, but has flown under the radar because he was in Minnesota. Now that he is in Washington with a solid lineup around him, what's his upside?

.290 average/100 runs/4 homers/50 rbi's/30 steals?
I agree with everything but the steals, I'd give him 20 tops if he worked really on his baserunning awareness in the offseason and ran aggressively all season, but he is not very good on the basepaths.  The Twins would always try and encourage him to steal more but he never really seems to get it, he gets picked off a ton for as fast as he is.
This. Unfortunately too many speedy guys have crap base instincts. 30 sbs would be possible but unlikely imo
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#9 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,780 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 08:09 PM

Been real quiet for the Nats table setter in here. Hitting plus .300, scoring runs, and stealing bags. With the serious hitters behind him in this lineup, if he keeps up at this rate we could be looking at a .300,100 run, 25 SB player thats lingering on many waiver wires.

#10 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 10:55 AM

View Postbigbluecrew56, on 12 April 2013 - 08:09 PM, said:

Been real quiet for the Nats table setter in here. Hitting plus .300, scoring runs, and stealing bags. With the serious hitters behind him in this lineup, if he keeps up at this rate we could be looking at a .300,100 run, 25 SB player thats lingering on many waiver wires.

I can definitely see it. Also has 9 Walks so far. Very sneaky value.
12-Team .5 PPR League
#Free Hernandez

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: CJ Spiller, Stevan Ridley, Daryl Richardson, Fred Jackson
WR: Dez Bryant, Jordy Nelson, Cecil Shorts, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd
TE: Vernon Davis
DEF: Pittsburgh, Eagles, Titans
K: Stephen Gostkowski

10-Team 6PT QB TD, PPR, Bonuses
The Muscle Hamsters

QB: Tony Romo, Matt Schaub
RB: Doug Martin(K), Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Bradshaw, Shane Vereen, Vick Ballard
WR: Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson, Josh Gordon, Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Jimmy Graham
DEF: Houston
K: Robbie Gould

#11 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:08 AM

Surprised he was still on the WW in my league. Dropped JBJ and added him. Very nice start so far. Should put up 10+ HRs with nice speed, average, and runs.
12-Team H2H Re-Draft 6x6 (Runs, AVG, HRs, RBIs, BBs, Steals) (Ws, Ls, Ks, ERA, WHIP, Saves)

C Russell Martin ©
1B Adrian Gonzalez (1B) || Adam Dunn (1B, LF) || Mitch Moreland (1B)
2B Howie Kendrick (2B)
3B Nolan Arenado (3B) || Hanley Ramirez (3B, SS) || Will Middlebrooks (3B)
SS Jimmy Rollins (SS)
LF Carlos Gonzalez (LF) || Michael Saunders (LF, CF, RF)
CF Mike Trout (LF, CF) || Dexter Fowler (CF)
RF Jose Bautista (RF) || Daniel Nava (LF, RF)

SP Cole Hamels || Jeff Samardzija || Lance Lynn || Mike Minor || Jeff Locke || Jeremy Hellickson || David Phelps || Bartolo Colon || Kevin Gausman
RP Tom Wilhelmsen || Glen Perkins

My credentials: Data analyst as my day job, have played fantasy baseball for two seasons, first-place in 10-team Roto my first season and first-place in 12-team H2H my second season.

#12 K.Heart

K.Heart

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,037 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:24 AM

View PostFantasyShmantasy, on 13 April 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Surprised he was still on the WW in my league. Dropped JBJ and added him. Very nice start so far. Should put up 10+ HRs with nice speed, average, and runs.

I don't know in what world Span will hit 10 HRs in a season.

#13 FantasyShmantasy

FantasyShmantasy

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,669 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 April 2013 - 11:29 AM

View PostK.Heart, on 13 April 2013 - 11:24 AM, said:

View PostFantasyShmantasy, on 13 April 2013 - 11:08 AM, said:

Surprised he was still on the WW in my league. Dropped JBJ and added him. Very nice start so far. Should put up 10+ HRs with nice speed, average, and runs.

I don't know in what world Span will hit 10 HRs in a season.

Take it to the bank. :)

Edited by FantasyShmantasy, 13 April 2013 - 11:29 AM.

12-Team H2H Re-Draft 6x6 (Runs, AVG, HRs, RBIs, BBs, Steals) (Ws, Ls, Ks, ERA, WHIP, Saves)

C Russell Martin ©
1B Adrian Gonzalez (1B) || Adam Dunn (1B, LF) || Mitch Moreland (1B)
2B Howie Kendrick (2B)
3B Nolan Arenado (3B) || Hanley Ramirez (3B, SS) || Will Middlebrooks (3B)
SS Jimmy Rollins (SS)
LF Carlos Gonzalez (LF) || Michael Saunders (LF, CF, RF)
CF Mike Trout (LF, CF) || Dexter Fowler (CF)
RF Jose Bautista (RF) || Daniel Nava (LF, RF)

SP Cole Hamels || Jeff Samardzija || Lance Lynn || Mike Minor || Jeff Locke || Jeremy Hellickson || David Phelps || Bartolo Colon || Kevin Gausman
RP Tom Wilhelmsen || Glen Perkins

My credentials: Data analyst as my day job, have played fantasy baseball for two seasons, first-place in 10-team Roto my first season and first-place in 12-team H2H my second season.

#14 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:25 PM

The only thing stopping this guy from 90+ Runs is the momentum killing Jayson Werth, GIDP.
12-Team .5 PPR League
#Free Hernandez

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: CJ Spiller, Stevan Ridley, Daryl Richardson, Fred Jackson
WR: Dez Bryant, Jordy Nelson, Cecil Shorts, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd
TE: Vernon Davis
DEF: Pittsburgh, Eagles, Titans
K: Stephen Gostkowski

10-Team 6PT QB TD, PPR, Bonuses
The Muscle Hamsters

QB: Tony Romo, Matt Schaub
RB: Doug Martin(K), Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Bradshaw, Shane Vereen, Vick Ballard
WR: Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson, Josh Gordon, Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Jimmy Graham
DEF: Houston
K: Robbie Gould

#15 Max Rockatansky

Max Rockatansky

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,344 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

View PostObscene_Domino, on 13 April 2013 - 12:25 PM, said:

The only thing stopping this guy from 90+ Runs is the momentum killing Jayson Werth, GIDP.

It wasn't a GIDP

Upton took away a hit from Werth and Span was doubled off.
Not 1, not 2, not 3, not 4, not 5, not 6, not 7......

#16 cyberer

cyberer

    Hall of Famer

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,177 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Philly

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:27 PM

Uhhh, werth didn't GIDP. He hit a line drive laser that upton stopped from going into the alley with a nice rangey play, and span was an idiot and sold out to score from 2nd assuming it was dropping, and he was doubled up. Problem was Span's there.
SIG UPDATED TO INCLUDE FOOTBALL!

Purple Breesus   1st place place in points/standings

12 Team PPR

QB Brees
WR1 Dez Bryant
WR2 Demaryius Thomas
WR3 Jordy Nelson
RB1 Adrian Peterson
RB2 Darren Sproles
TE Rob Gronkowski
FLEX Kendall Wright OR Pierre Thomas OR Bobby Rainey

K Crosby
DEF Saints, Jets (playing weekly matchups)

BENCH: Mike Tolbert, Mario Manningham, Miles Austin, Cordarrelle Patterson, Chris Ogbonnaya

#17 wvufan1988

wvufan1988

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:28 PM

Poor base running by Span though. No out, you need to make sure that ball is going to drop. Worst case scenario there is that you are on 2nd base with one out, with your 3, 4 and 5 hitters coming up
12 Team H2H 24 out of 28 Keep

C-Posey
1B-Freeman
2B- Altuve
SS- Hanley Rameriz
3B-Sandoval
OF- Stanton, Choo, B.J Upton,
UT- Youkilis, Swisher, Cespedes
Bench: Chris Carter
P- Weaver, Parker, Cain, Wilson,  Cueto, Hudson, Niese, Peavy
Closer/RP- Mo, Soriano. Holland,
Bench-  Beachy
Categories:

Runs, RBI's, SB's, Average, HR
ERA, WHIP, Wins, Saves, K's

#18 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:NJ

Posted 13 April 2013 - 12:29 PM

View Postcyberer, on 13 April 2013 - 12:27 PM, said:

Uhhh, werth didn't GIDP. He hit a line drive laser that upton stopped from going into the alley with a nice rangey play, and span was an idiot and sold out to score from 2nd assuming it was dropping, and he was doubled up. Problem was Span's there.

Not watching the game, was getting my info from gamecast. Stupid gamecast telling me Werth GIDP. My bad.
12-Team .5 PPR League
#Free Hernandez

QB: Colin Kaepernick
RB: CJ Spiller, Stevan Ridley, Daryl Richardson, Fred Jackson
WR: Dez Bryant, Jordy Nelson, Cecil Shorts, Josh Gordon, Michael Floyd
TE: Vernon Davis
DEF: Pittsburgh, Eagles, Titans
K: Stephen Gostkowski

10-Team 6PT QB TD, PPR, Bonuses
The Muscle Hamsters

QB: Tony Romo, Matt Schaub
RB: Doug Martin(K), Jamaal Charles, Ahmad Bradshaw, Shane Vereen, Vick Ballard
WR: Victor Cruz, Reggie Wayne, DeSean Jackson, Josh Gordon, Kenbrell Thompkins
TE: Jimmy Graham
DEF: Houston
K: Robbie Gould

#19 champy41

champy41

    On the Ballot

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,614 posts
  • Gender:Male

Posted 16 April 2013 - 03:51 PM

FYI he's out of the lineup tonight fellas, routine day off.

This guy has been a very pleasant surprise leading off for the Nats offense this year.

Edited by champy41, 16 April 2013 - 03:51 PM.

12 team h2h money league (non-keeper). Categories are: R, HR, RBI, SB, AVG, W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP

C-Brian McCann (NYY - C)
1B-Mike Napoli (Bos - 1B)
2B-Ian Kinsler (Det - 2B)
3B-Matt Carpenter (StL - 2B,3B)
SS-Troy Tulowitzki (Col - SS)
OF-Carlos González (Col - OF), Shin-Soo Choo (Tex - OF), Mark Trumbo (Ari - 1B,OF)
Util-Anthony Rendon (Was - 2B,3B), Melky Cabrera (Tor - OF), Michael Morse (SF - 1B,OF)

SP-Félix Hernández (Sea - SP), Jon Lester (Bos - SP), Shelby Miller (StL - SP), Alex Wood (Atl - SP,RP)
RP-Glen Perkins (Min - RP), Francisco Rodríguez (Mil - RP), José Valverde (NYM - RP), Sergio Santos (Tor - RP)
P-Yordano Ventura (KC - SP), Chris Tillman (Bal - SP), Dan Straily (Oak - SP), Drew Smyly (Det - RP)
DL-Doug Fister (Was - SP)

#20 k.k.

k.k.

    Superstar

  • Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,302 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Taipei, Taiwan

Posted 27 April 2013 - 08:29 PM

Span seems to be doing pretty well thru April. Getting hits, getting on base. Not a lot of runs to show for it. Had a couple of stolen bases lately too.
Are guys feeling good about the Nats leadoff hitter?




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users