181 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,676 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:32 AM

If the below is true, good for David Wright, but likely bad for the Mets. I see a move like this, and the real and reported cash flow issues for the Mets pretty much preventing any chance of surrounding him with better talent. The one caveat could be the deal being made to make the team more attractive for buyers if/when a sale should become necessary (much like the Kemp deal). I dont think it will change much for Wright and would imagine we can all bank on the same type of production we have become accustomed to in the past.

According to Andy Martino of the New York Daily News, David Wright and the Mets have agreed to an eight-year, $138 million extension.
Martino says the Mets ripped up Wright's contract for 2013, so it's a brand new eight-year pact but will in reality only add seven years, extending him through the 2020 campaign. The deal was first reported by WFAN's Ed Coleman. It seems obvious that Wright's camp wanted to make him the highest-paid player in Mets' history, as the $138 million figure outpaces teammate Johan Santana's deal by a mere $500,000. Wright, who batted .306/.391/.492 with 21 homers, 93 RBI and 15 steals in 2012, will play the 2020 season at age 37.

Source: Andy Martino on Twitter

Nov 30 - 8:10 AM

"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,422 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:35 AM

it had to be done. he had all the leverage. I'm a Mets fan and maybe this is entitlement, but I feel like in this market, you're expected to keep your homegrown talent. Reyes leaving was a strange feeling. if Wright followed him, it would alienate a lot of the fanbase. he's the face of the franchise, he's the guy who has taken the heat for the team sucking, and he has a Jeteresque track record in the media. off the field, he is the ideal guy to build around. for all these reasons, the Mets didn't have a choice but to sign him.

if 2012 Wright is the real David Wright and he has a few more years like that before tapering off, then this signing is solid. if he's somewhere in between 2009-2011 DW and 2012 DW then that makes me nervous. regarding their payroll, the Brewers locked up Braun, the Rox locked up Tulo, Rays locked up Longoria, etc. these are small market teams. the Mets are no worse off than those teams, and are on an upswing financially as they move further away from the Madoff era.

the thing you have to realize is that a lot of new money has flowed into the MLB pipeline. contracts seem inflated but you're living in the new reality. you have to build around something. can't just wait around to find the next Giancarlo Stanton.

Edited by jsp2014, 30 November 2012 - 09:39 AM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#3 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,490 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:55 AM

View Postjsp2014, on 30 November 2012 - 09:35 AM, said:

it had to be done. he had all the leverage. I'm a Mets fan and maybe this is entitlement, but I feel like in this market, you're expected to keep your homegrown talent. Reyes leaving was a strange feeling. if Wright followed him, it would alienate a lot of the fanbase. he's the face of the franchise, he's the guy who has taken the heat for the team sucking, and he has a Jeteresque track record in the media. off the field, he is the ideal guy to build around. for all these reasons, the Mets didn't have a choice but to sign him.

if 2012 Wright is the real David Wright and he has a few more years like that before tapering off, then this signing is solid. if he's somewhere in between 2009-2011 DW and 2012 DW then that makes me nervous. regarding their payroll, the Brewers locked up Braun, the Rox locked up Tulo, Rays locked up Longoria, etc. these are small market teams. the Mets are no worse off than those teams, and are on an upswing financially as they move further away from the Madoff era.

the thing you have to realize is that a lot of new money has flowed into the MLB pipeline. contracts seem inflated but you're living in the new reality. you have to build around something. can't just wait around to find the next Giancarlo Stanton.

I agree with all of this. If the Mets had let him go in free agency, I think a portion of the fan base would have been done with the team for good.

The Mets aren't in THAT bad of a position long term. Aside from Wright, they do have some pieces on offense to work with (Ike, Duda), but they need more on offense. They do have young pitching in Harvey/Wheeler, and that's huge to potentially have good starting pitching making league minimum.

They should probably trade Dickey while his value is as high as it ever will be, and they'll have Johan's contract coming off of the books next season, so the team might not be THAT bad for too much longer.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,313 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:55 PM

As a Mets fan and Wright owner is a keeper league, I hate it.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 budman

budman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,427 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:07 AM

Ditto on the keeper part. Was hoping he would go elsewhere. Let's hope the Mets can salvage a decent team to help get him some protection. If not it may be time to move him.

#6 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

If they get Elsbury I would like him a lot more but his value really hinges on what kind of lineup the Mets put around him...I loved him last year because I didn't have to reach too early for him and he exceeded his ADP, not so sure this year
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Pederson, McGehee, Josh hamilton

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Cingrani, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#7 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:01 PM

I feel David Wright is starting to get underrated.

#8 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,747 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

The press conference, gave him a new hat and jersey. Why wasn't this on EsPN as the decision?
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#9 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,655 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:15 PM

View PostChrisFarley, on 05 December 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I feel David Wright is starting to get underrated.

Last year he definitely was, I don't know if he will be this year which is what makes me nervous about having to reach for him with so many questions around the lineup
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Pederson, McGehee, Josh hamilton

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Cingrani, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#10 bigbluecrew56

bigbluecrew56

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,236 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 09:53 PM

I can see Wright going as high as the top of the 2nd round. But is the top of the 2nd round in a 12 teamer really that pricey for a player with a chance at 90 25 90 15 .300? I think the Mets will be adding a bat soon via trade (Kubel or Upton) and possibly make a quiet run at Michael Bourn now that the market has dried up. Not many third baseman outside Ramirez or Headley offer Five Cat capabilities. Ramirez I prefer more to draft him as a SS and Headley has to do it another year for me. Wright came at a discount last year only because of the intercoastal tear he had at the start of spring training.

#11 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,525 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 08 January 2013 - 11:14 PM

Owner in our league looking to dump some salary, I was in a position to take some on, I traded two minor league picks for him at $18 in $130CAP.  I think if he gets thrown back no way he goes less than 18, probably 21-24, its that 5-category potential.

One of the ways you win in fantasy sports is to to simply draft based on the value a guy put up the year before, but what do you believe he is going to do this year.  If you get David Wright in the 2nd to 4th round and you believe he is going to have a monster year and be a 1st rounder next season based off 2013 performance, then you should make sure that nobody gets a freebie and if that means maybe reaching late 1st to early 2nd if you are a believer, then by all means let er rip.  Im a buyer on D-dub this year.  

Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#12 crazybob60

crazybob60

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,481 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 09:29 AM

So....we are into Spring Training, are there any new thoughts on Wright?  Thoughts on what his numbers may look like this season?
14 Team League, H2H, Points Based System (Daily Lineup Changes)
Can Roster 10 SP's, Max 2 SP pickups per week

C:  Mike Zunino
1B:  Mark Teixeira
2B:  Martin Prado
SS:  TroyTulowitzki
3B:  David Wright
IF:  Michael Morse
OF:  Mike Trout, Melky Cabrera, Josh Hamilton, Yasiel Puig
DH:  Mike Napoli, Christian Yelich
DL:  Brandon Phillips, Shane Victorino

SP:  Yu Darvish, Travis Wood, Aaron Harang, Jarred Cosart, Clay Buchholz, Tim Hudson, AJ Burnett, Wei-Yin Chen, Vance Worley, Kyle Kendrick
RP:  Aroldis Chapman, Huston Street, Santiago Casilla
DL:  CC Sabathia

#13 mjb03003

mjb03003

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,431 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM

View Postcrazybob60, on 22 February 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

So....we are into Spring Training, are there any new thoughts on Wright?  Thoughts on what his numbers may look like this season?

I think he's a rock solid player who you can expect to put up nice numbers across the board. He doesn't blow you away in any one category, but you if yo're like me and like to build around 20/20 types, he's a great foundation guy. The fact that he plays a relatively thin position makes taking him somewhere in the 2nd/3rd round (his current ADP is 26.3) even more palatable.

Over the last four seasons he has averaged 18.5 homers and 18.5 SBs, and that is when you include his injury plagued 2011 numbers (he only played 102 games that season). If you prorate his 2011 production over 155 games, he would have had 21 homers and 20 steals that year, which would raise his four year averages to 20.25 homers and 20.25 SB, with highs of 29 HR and 27 SB.

Unless you are predicting erosion of skills or an injury, his floor is probably about 18 HR and 15 SB, with his ceiling looking more like 30/20. Remember, Wright only just turned 30 years old, is a career .301 hitter, and has 5 seasons of 25+ homers and 7 seasons of 15+ steals under his belt. The move to Citi Field messed with his head in 2009, and injuries held him back in 2011, but other than those two seasons he has been a model of consistency and 5 category goodness for fantasy owners.

My biggest concern is that he runs a little less this year, after being caught 10 times in 25 tries last year. He never was the fastest guy, so if he has lost a step and the CS continue at that rate, he might have to curtail his running.

If I had to make a projection, I'd say he puts up something like .295, 85 runs, 22 HR, 90 RBI, 15 SB this year.

#14 malta69

malta69

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,598 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 11:11 AM

View Postmjb03003, on 22 February 2013 - 10:59 AM, said:

View Postcrazybob60, on 22 February 2013 - 09:29 AM, said:

I think he's a rock solid player who you can expect to put up nice numbers across the board. He doesn't blow you away in any one category, but you if yo're like me and like to build around 20/20 types, he's a great foundation guy. The fact that he plays a relatively thin position makes taking him somewhere in the 2nd/3rd round (his current ADP is 26.3) even more palatable.

Over the last four seasons he has averaged 18.5 homers and 18.5 SBs, and that is when you include his injury plagued 2011 numbers (he only played 102 games that season). If you prorate his 2011 production over 155 games, he would have had 21 homers and 20 steals that year, which would raise his four year averages to 20.25 homers and 20.25 SB, with highs of 29 HR and 27 SB.

Unless you are predicting erosion of skills or an injury, his floor is probably about 18 HR and 15 SB, with his ceiling looking more like 30/20. Remember, Wright only just turned 30 years old, is a career .301 hitter, and has 5 seasons of 25+ homers and 7 seasons of 15+ steals under his belt. The move to Citi Field messed with his head in 2009, and injuries held him back in 2011, but other than those two seasons he has been a model of consistency and 5 category goodness for fantasy owners.

My biggest concern is that he runs a little less this year, after being caught 10 times in 25 tries last year. He never was the fastest guy, so if he has lost a step and the CS continue at that rate, he might have to curtail his running.

If I had to make a projection, I'd say he puts up something like .295, 85 runs, 22 HR, 90 RBI, 15 SB this year.

I couldn't agree more.  He's that reliable late #2nd/early #3rd round pick that makes a ton of sense if you are going to take a gamble with your first rounder or maybe take a few risks early on in your draft.  The only real consistency lacking in this guy's game at this point which would put him into that 100 RBI plateau even in that lineup is his inability at times to drive in runs with a man on 3rd and less than two outs.  It seems year in/year out he comes up in those spots and for some odd reason just doesn't seem to get it done.
Bases...
2008 Extra Base Hit Dynasty League Champion - The Inaugural Season

Foots...
'06, '07, '08 & '09 Boozers & Losers League Champ

#15 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,521 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 09 March 2013 - 10:49 PM

"International Salami"- Bob Costas calling the grand slam Wright just bombed vs Italy.  :lol:

Edited by WahooManiac, 09 March 2013 - 10:50 PM.

Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#16 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:29 PM

Anyone notice how hot he is in the WBC? I know to take it with a grain of salt because he has yet to face much MLB caliber pitching, but it definetly has me pumped up for the season.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#17 quietj

quietj

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:37 PM

View Postsasnumberonefan, on 13 March 2013 - 12:29 PM, said:

Anyone notice how hot he is in the WBC? I know to take it with a grain of salt because he has yet to face much MLB caliber pitching, but it definetly has me pumped up for the season.

I'd be pumped as well if he didn't play for the anemic Mets. Wright's a stud but he's rotting over there in NY playing for a team that'll have yet again one of the worst offenses in the league.
C - C. Santana
1B - S. Pearce
2B - J. Harrison
SS - H. Ramirez
3B -  A. Ramirez
OF - G. Stanton
OF - N. Cruz
OF - A. Rios
Util - G. Springer
BN - J. Rollins
DL - E. Encarncion

SP -  C. Archer, A. Cobb, T. Lincecum, J. Quintana, H. Bailey, Y. Gallardo

RP - K. Jansen, G. Perkins, D. Robertson, H. Rendon, J. Mejia
DL - G.Cole

*10 Team 5x5 H2H League*

#18 sasnumberonefan

sasnumberonefan

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,833 posts

Posted 13 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I agree the offense is anemic, but I think it could be a little better than people expect. Some good young talent there, but still won't be very good.
FFB 12 Team Standard 4 Keeper lose the draft pick the keeper was taken in
QB: Romo RB: Ogbonnaya, Pierre Thomas WR: Brandon Marshall, Jordy Nelson, Josh Gordon (K, 16th) TE: Jimmy Graham (K, 3rd) D/ST: New England K: Nick Folk Bench: Percy Harvin (K, FA) Justin Blackmon (K, FA) Toby Gerhart, Darren Sproles, Andre Brown, Danny Amendola

#19 elrey

elrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 01:01 PM

Posted Image

#20 Orion Braun

Orion Braun

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 14 March 2013 - 06:00 PM

I'd imagine no need for concern here, but FYI - he was a late scratch from the USA lineup tonight do to back tightness/soreness. I'd imagine it wasn't a decision they made lightly, given that Willie Bloomquist is now starting at 3B in a huge game against the Dominican Republic, but who knows.

Edited by Orion Braun, 14 March 2013 - 06:02 PM.

No one cares about my teams...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users