Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Tommy Hanson 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
134 replies to this topic

#1 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:00 PM

At first I saw Walden was heading to ATL, but I'd have to assume there's more going that way. We can assume Walden's value is smashed right now, being behind both Venters and Kimbrel (at the least).

Wow. Kind of a weird deal to say the least

Has Hanson dropped that far off since bursting onto the scene? I've never owned him in fantasy, and other than my general knowledge of him and his struggles this past season, if the Braves aren't getting more than just Walden this has to be viewed as a salary dump or something (with them singing Upton and Hanson heading to arby soon).

I'd hope they got something more than a MR like Walden though.

Edited by Nick Mitchell, 30 November 2012 - 01:02 PM.

let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#2 foeplay

foeplay

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,087 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:06 PM

I approve of this trade!!! :)

#3 Zombies

Zombies

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:07 PM

The Braves sold low to be sure...They do have a plethora of starting pitchers so someone had to go...It is surprising to see them give up on Hanson though...Despite the injury issues he still has a ton of talent and if he can stay healthy this is a steal for the Angels...

#4 Nick Mitchell

Nick Mitchell

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,927 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:17 PM

I thought so too, Zombies. Definitely a sell-low... if he can get it together and stay healthy he's still south of 26. Really, if injuries don't hold him back and he can fix whatever has started his decline of sorts, be it mechanics or what... this is an absolute steal for the Angels. Walden could be a nice pen arm for ATL, but it seems like they could have addressed other needs.

I bet Angels fans who were pulling hair out of their privates during the rumors that they acquired Marmol for Haren are a bit happier now, assuming this one doesn't fall off the table.... :P

On the topic of the their plethora of pitching and someone had to go, I did notice this blurb on rotoworld about a month ago:
Tommy Hanson is expected to compete with Julio Teheran and Randall Delgado in spring training for the Braves' No. 5 starter job.
Of course, there's a pretty good chance the Braves will trade one of the pitchers to get outfield help. Hanson would seem to be the most likely candidate to go, as he's reached arbitration and didn't look like the same pitcher this season while coming back from shoulder issues

With signing Upton, Hanson hitting arby... it seems like that would be why, in my opinion anyway. Was weird to see the Braves doll out heavy money when they signed Upton. This at least makes sense from that standpoint.

Hanson's value though- slight bump up, slight bump down, or does it kind of just stay neutral until we can see where he's at with his health in spring training?

Obviously, I don't think he'll be another Kazmir for the Angels. But he does have a history of injury... so is this a case where we see where he's at and how he's throwing come spring training? You'd have to assume he'll crack the starting-5 barring something real bad happening.
let your members encourage my suicide. besides, I kinda wanna _

#5 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,512 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:23 PM

Walden is all the Braves can get for Tommy Hanson? Fail.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#6 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:26 PM

wow...did not expect that...young and skill...guess they think they have better pitchers in their system ready to go
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#7 bnsfwquinc

bnsfwquinc

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

As a Braves fan I love it as well. His velocity has been dropping the last few years and with his back issues and arm delivery he really doesn't have alot of value right now. This was purely a salary dump... I am willing to bet that this will open the door for either a Victorino signing or a J. Upton trade (The Upton trade is wishful thinking).

I really do hope Tommy turns it around and is successful with the Angels, though.
38 For I am persuaded that neither death nor life, nor angels nor principalities nor powers, nor things present nor things to come, 39 nor height nor depth, nor any other created thing, shall be able to separate us from the love of God which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

[url="http://www.biblegateway.com/versions/New-King-James-Version-NKJV-Bible/"]New King James Version[/url] (NKJV)

#8 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,063 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:31 PM

As one who tends to overanalyze pitching mechanics, I'll say that I just don't like Hanson's long term outlook. With that said, as an Angels fan, I still like the deal a lot. Walden is an erratic RP who has mechanical issues of his own. Trading an erratic RP for a 26 year old SP who has shown flashes of brilliance is tremendous value. Whether he regains his form or not is up in the air, but it's a risk that I'm OK with the Halos taking. The loss of Walden won't affect them as they will likely be signing a RP in FA to replace him
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#9 poopdungbeatle

poopdungbeatle

All-Time Great

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,435 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:32 PM

What a trade for the Angels. I'm sure Hansen is excited since he's a local So cal guy.

14 team Yahoo H2H Dynasty League (7x7)

BA / R / HR / RBI / SB / TB / BB
C - Devin Mesoraco / 1b - Edwin Encarnacion / 2b - Danny Santana / 3b - Todd Frazier / SS - Hanley Ramirez
OF - Carlos Gomez, Yasiel Puig, Matt Kemp
Util - Hunter Pence, Charlie Blackmon, George Springer
Bench - Evan Gattis, Steve Pearce, Kris Bryant, Joc Pederson

W / ERA / WHIP / K / QS / SV / HLD
SP - Clayton Kershaw, Johnny Cueto, Hisashi Iwakuma
RP - Kenley Jansen, Zach Britton, Luke Gregerson
P - Jacob deGrom, Alex Wood, Bryan Shaw, Jake Petricka
Bench -  Mike Fiers, Chris Archer, Danny Duffy, Kyle Hendricks,Carlos Carrasco

#10 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,911 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 01:55 PM

I agree its a low-sell for Braves, where Hanson's value probably at all time low, but its not sexy, but getting big young upside arms for your 7th-8th's etc is definetly becoming a trend. Cincy had a great thing going this year, the Giants are known for their pen. Its an undervalued part of the game by the average fan most of the time.

From a fantasy standpoint, I think it ups Hanson a bit to a more secured rotation spot than what he would of had in ATL, I dont think Walden would of closed either place, and for me as a Mike Minor owner, makes me feel a little better about his job security not that it was that much in question, but with so many starters around if they have good springs and he gets rocked or off to slow start in April, his job isnt that secure, making the math look a little better is good for him too.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,706 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hanson's stock has been dropping. If he can't reverse the trend and either raise his velocity or get it to stay the same, then he may be coming to the end of his MLB career. WIth that said, the deal is still good for the Angels. They only gave up a middle reliever that they had no use for anymore with Madson/Downs/Frieri available to them.
Bring back Ray!

#12 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,919 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:21 PM

It looks like Hanson will be on my do not draft list for a 2nd straight season. After watching him pitch several times last season I am surprised he put up the numbers he did, when you take away the automatic pitcher out, I don't see him escaping his self made jams quite so often.

#13 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,344 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 07:53 PM

The Braves sold low to be sure...They do have a plethora of starting pitchers so someone had to go...It is surprising to see them give up on Hanson though...Despite the injury issues he still has a ton of talent and if he can stay healthy this is a steal for the Angels...

I don't think staying healthy will be the key to Hanson's success. I think he needs to regain his shoulder strength. He's worth the gamble at such a low cost but I'm skeptical this will pan out for Anahiem.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#14 bravesfan4life

bravesfan4life

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,045 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 08:39 PM

If you're on the outside looking in on this trade it looks good for the Angels but Hanson has some serious problems to work through. Back and shoulder issues, mechanics are a mess, and he can't hold a runner on to save his life. Braves shed salary and shore up their bullpen with another guy with closer type stuff. They may have the best bullpen in baseball. As for the Angels 4 million (expected arbritration value) isn't anything to them so they can take chances on guys like Hanson and not worry about it.

#15 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:31 PM

For me the most intriguing part of this trade from a fantasy perspective. Is the opening for the Atlanta Braves fifth starter for the 2013 season. Unless the Braves trade for somebody which is not out of the question. The top two candidates would be Julio Teheran & Randall Delgado. If Julio is able to grab that spot, I could see a quality contributor for fantasy owners this year. Looking at his 2011 & 2012 with the Braves(AAA), I don't see why he can't have a K/9 of 7+, BB/9 of around 3 & he pitches in the National League.

#16 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:53 PM

One thing i really love about Tommy Hanson is that owners in my leagues next year will spend a draft pick on him.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#17 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,922 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:29 AM

If you're on the outside looking in on this trade it looks good for the Angels but Hanson has some serious problems to work through. Back and shoulder issues, mechanics are a mess, and he can't hold a runner on to save his life. Braves shed salary and shore up their bullpen with another guy with closer type stuff. They may have the best bullpen in baseball. As for the Angels 4 million (expected arbritration value) isn't anything to them so they can take chances on guys like Hanson and not worry about it.

Hanson does have the injury problems, but he is still young and like people said the Angels didn't really need Walden either. I always value SP more then RP for an organization too.
No Days Off

#18 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,000 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

One thing i really love about Tommy Hanson is that owners in my leagues next year will spend a draft pick on him.

:lol:
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#19 crazy47larry

crazy47larry

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,277 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

When I first saw this trade I thought "What were the Braves thinking?" They are a very shrewd organization so this deal is very puzzling on the surface.

Then when I thought about I came to the conclusion that the Braves know something we don't.
I play fantasy sports

#20 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 03:11 PM

When I first saw this trade I thought "What were the Braves thinking?" They are a very shrewd organization so this deal is very puzzling on the surface.

Then when I thought about I came to the conclusion that the Braves know something we don't.

Tommy will no longer be cheap (arbitration), he's got a messed up shoulder, had a 4.48 ERA last year, and his velocity tanked last season. I think he just doesn't have much value to them, especially since it probably means Teheran or Delgado rotting away in the minors for another year.

he's on the same type of career path as another former stud SP the Angels supposedly bought low on.

Edited by jsp2014, 04 December 2012 - 03:15 PM.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.