Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo

Who would you keep?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
17 replies to this topic

#1 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 12:36 PM

12 team keeper, 7 to be kept. Here is who I'm keeping thus far and my remaining options.

Posey, wright, mccutchen, stanton.

Remaining options, pick three....

Goldschmidt, andrus, hamels, medlin, headley, austin hackson

This is a standard scoring league, h2h with an if slot and two utils

#2 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 10:03 PM

What is the line up you play?

I would say Hamels and Goldschmidt for me for sure. Then the other one kind of depends on settings, how many you play, etc and what you think is going to be available, but I would be leaning towards Austin Jackson. Nice contributor across the board, though not spectacular in any single category (except runs) he can fill it up for you.

I say this a lot to people in your situation, but I might look to see if you could do a 2,3 for 1 type package, selling Headley, Andrus and maybe Jackson for 1 elite keeper. Sometimes it doesnt work, especially with only 7 keepers and no real contract or salary issues, kind of means everyone probably has at least 7.

So for me right now...I would go Jackson, but Headley would certainly be a close second.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#3 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:43 AM

Thank you for the feedback, parrothead. I am right there with you on keeping both hamels and goldschmidt, it was the direction I was leaning towards. And yes, I'm on board with jackson as an every day cattegory filler though I'm weary on keeping a third outfielder when their will be a plethra of outfielders to draft. I'm going to throw out a package of players like you suggested and see what happens

#4 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:33 AM

I also have santana, howard, jennings, r.weeks, peavy and rodney on this team. I didn't think any would "make the cut" from the list I provided, but by all means, tell me I'm wrong if you think differently. I'm open to argument

Edited by dinodave, 03 December 2012 - 01:37 AM.

#5 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 07:59 PM

The only one of those I would even consider adding to the list would be Jennings. He's still a big time talent, but he doesn't make the top 7.

Goldschmidt - Solid hitter. Should take another step forward this year as a dangerous hitter hitting in the middle of a solid offense. Definite keeper.

Andrus - Where's the playing time going to come if they resign Hamilton? If Kinsler struggles in CF with defense, then there will be an issue in Texas with Profar, Andrus, and Kinsler all looking for 2 spots. Not worth it with him since he really only gives you average and steals.

Hamels - Front line starter with ace potential. Fantasy #1 and easy keeper choice.

Medlin - Had a magical second half, but his season won't possible be as good as that. Going to be overdrafted because of his second half and isn't worth it.

Headley - Had a solid season in Petco and the fences are moving in. Is still underrated and should put up another solid season. He's the final keeper.

Jackson - Contributes across the board, but doesn't really help in any specific category. Really close with Headley, but just loses out because of Headley's HR/RBI potential is higher than Jackson.

If you didn't want to read that, I chose Hamels, Goldschmidt, and Headley over Jackson. The last spot can really go either way, but I gave the nod to Headley.

Edited by baltimore_boy, 03 December 2012 - 08:00 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#6 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:41 PM

Awesome, thank you for the detailed analysis b boy. Anytime you want some friendly advice, hit me up, I'll be glad to lend it.

#7 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:49 PM

Btw, would it be wise to send a package of players for tulo while his value is at its lowest? The owner of him is really weak in keepers and would be an easy trade partner

#8 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

Btw, would it be wise to send a package of players for tulo while his value is at its lowest? The owner of him is really weak in keepers and would be an easy trade partner

The only issue with Tulo is his countless injuries. He's such a risk that he probably isn't worth it. Who else does this owner have? Tulo wouldn't be bad, especially if you can get him with lower down people, which would be none of your top 8 (the 6 easy ones plus headley and jackson) You can never have enough keepers, but it may be better to keep a guy that isn't a big injury risk. If he's got nobody else, then you might as well pull Tulo away from him.
Bring back Ray!

#9 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 10:19 PM

He's got miggy, but that would have to open up a whole new can of worms to obtain and I'm opposed to wrecking my squad to do so......I could get tulo for players I wouldn't be keeping anyways, aside from headley because I would have to open up keeper space. Essentially, it would be giving up him for tulo, and the fact remains I already have wright at third base and no ss when I will be drafting last because I won the league last year. Picking at 12 leaves little at the posistion to be desired

Edited by dinodave, 03 December 2012 - 10:23 PM.

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:36 AM

He's got miggy, but that would have to open up a whole new can of worms to obtain and I'm opposed to wrecking my squad to do so......I could get tulo for players I wouldn't be keeping anyways, aside from headley because I would have to open up keeper space. Essentially, it would be giving up him for tulo, and the fact remains I already have wright at third base and no ss when I will be drafting last because I won the league last year. Picking at 12 leaves little at the posistion to be desired

If you think that he is necessary, then go for it. I've just been burned with him before, so I'm not a big fan of him. Are people going to keep a large number of shortstops?
Bring back Ray!

#11 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,834 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:27 PM

Andrus, Hamels, and Goldschmidt for me. Medlen is close over Goldy, pass on the rest.
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#12 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:31 PM

12 team keeper, 7 to be kept. Here is who I'm keeping thus far and my remaining options.

Posey, wright, mccutchen, stanton.

Remaining options, pick three....

Goldschmidt, andrus, hamels, medlin, headley, austin hackson

This is a standard scoring league, h2h with an if slot and two utils

Andrus, Hamels, Headley

#13 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 PM

Thank you again for all your input, gents. Anyways, hear me out on this one and tell me if you agree with my strategy....let's say I kept headly and drafted twelfth in the first round of my keeper (that would be the 8th round of players off the board). I can guarantee that any shortstop that would be available to me at that point would be somewhat equal to what I could draft rounds later. Keeping andrus in my opinion might be a better option, but that would mean me dumping headley to keep him and honestly value tulo above and beyond higher based off of potential alone and would be better served to trade for him, regardless of injury history. Its early, I'm just getting the fire started. Before long, I'm going to start looking to see what I can get for hanley or reyes....

#14 dinodave

dinodave

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:09 PM

Thank you again for all your input, gents. Anyways, hear me out on this one and tell me if you agree with my strategy....let's say I kept headly and drafted twelfth in the first round of my keeper (that would be the 8th round of players off the board). I can guarantee that any shortstop that would be available to me at that point would be somewhat equal to what I could draft rounds later. Keeping andrus in my opinion might be a better option, but that would mean me dumping headley to keep him and honestly value tulo above and beyond higher based off of potential alone and would be better served to trade for him, regardless of injury history. Its early, I'm just getting the fire started. Before long, I'm going to start looking to see what I can get for hanley or reyes....

I mean "trade for hanley or reyes"

#15 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,101 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:39 PM

I would roll the dice there, at their present values because so many are down on them, I think SS like Hanley and Tulo, if they break out, the owners holding those tickets have a great shot to win their league. I would send that package discussed earlier and go get Tulo.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#16 Ben Edelman

Ben Edelman

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,060 posts

Posted 13 December 2012 - 10:54 PM

Are you suggesting you could swing a deal along the lines of Andrus and Headley for Tulo? That would be a fantastic buy-low, regardless of how many borderline keepers (Jackson, Medlen) you might throw in. Headley is nice, but his upside isn't much better than Tulo's downside.

Since 1995: 12-team 4x4 Roto auction keeper, NL-only. Likely keepers:
C: Mesoraco, xx
1/3: Lamb, Rendon, xx
2/S: Tulo, Alcantara, Segura
O/U: Yelich, Harper, xx, xx, xx, xx
SP: Hahn, Morton, xx, xx, xx
RP: Rondon, Clippard, Mejia, Fujikawa, xx
Min: Bryant, JP Crawford, Piscotty

#17 HOOTIE

HOOTIE

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

Andrus
Headley
Hamels

Goldschmidt has a long swing, and is a K machine.

#18 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 03:00 AM

andrus hamels headley