Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * - 3 votes

Alex Rodriguez 2013 OutlookOld and getting older.

• Please log in to reply
1313 replies to this topic

#1 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:00 AM

So last year was underwhelming and hes been on a decline for a while, cant stay on the field and seems to be playing through injury when he does and now this:

Alex Rodriguez will need between three and six months to recover from his January hip surgery.
That timetable comes from Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who notes that the upcoming procedure is for a torn labrum in A-Rod's left hip. He had surgery on his right hip back in 2009. The Yankees will be on the hunt for a third baseman over the next couple weeks.

Source: Joel Sherman on Twitter

Dec 3 - 10:45 AM

Where would anyone take this guy this year, are people even counting on him for anything, is he relevant?
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#2 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 03 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

For your standard 12 man, id say hes on the DND. Feels like a guy one can get for free after hes inevitably dropped. Deeper leagues, adjust accordingly
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#3 phizzics

phizzics

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:04 PM

He was marginally useful last year when he played. Seemed like he was kind of getting on track when he was plunked by Felix and never really recovered. There's a chance that he's got a good year or two left in him. Problem is that 3B isn't all that shallow any more, with some really good younger guys showing a lot of promise. I'd probably still take him as a 12th+ round flier depending on how my draft was going.

#4 phizzics

phizzics

On the Ballot

• Moderators
  • 3,568 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

And of course I wrote the above without reading the timetable for his recovery. June? Pass...

As an aside, if I had to make a wild prediction, the people who will find him most useful will be those who draft Longoria. ARod's return will probably coincide with Longoria's first extended DL visit. :P

#5 DKOA R

DKOA R
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:07 PM

Sounds like the fat lady is warming up her voice.

Edited by DKOA R, 03 December 2012 - 03:08 PM.

#6 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,569 posts
  • Interests:Following jimmy Buffett all summer hitting baseball stadiums along the way.

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:18 PM

Issues with hips with regards to hitting and power are just not a good combo.

If its the end of an auction draft and I still have my DH/UTIL open I wouldnt be completely opposed to taking him say for $1-3.  Taking him as my only 3B and trying to roll with a replacement off the WW for 2-3 months is not something I would do.

Edited by The Harsh, 03 December 2012 - 03:26 PM.
Removed AC content. Please remember to stay away from league and roster-specific intricacies, as they aren't applicable to the general population.

Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#7 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 24,948 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 03:38 PM

View Postphizzics, on 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

And of course I wrote the above without reading the timetable for his recovery. June? Pass...

As an aside, if I had to make a wild prediction, the people who will find him most useful will be those who draft Longoria. ARod's return will probably coincide with Longoria's first extended DL visit. :P

I disagree.  Longoria's first extended DL visit will come wwwaayyyy before ARod is ready to go..... :P  

Talking about closer to the ASB.  For a 37 year old who was already breaking down.  No thanks, I won't be drafting him at all.....

What a disaster for the Yankees.  He's toxic now and has no type of trade value...
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#8 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,517 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:25 AM

View PostPatrick Bateman, on 03 December 2012 - 03:38 PM, said:

View Postphizzics, on 03 December 2012 - 01:25 PM, said:

I disagree.  Longoria's first extended DL visit will come wwwaayyyy before ARod is ready to go..... :P  

Talking about closer to the ASB.  For a 37 year old who was already breaking down.  No thanks, I won't be drafting him at all.....

What a disaster for the Yankees.  He's toxic now and has no type of trade value...

I hate this man. I hope he is not drafted at all in any leagues.
No Days Off

#9 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,390 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:33 AM

it feels like he should be retired by now.

i predict he hangs it up before his contract runs out. it won't be worth it to him. being a financial joke to the nyc and national media and a burden your employer and teammates is not worth the pride of anyone who is already set for life.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 04 December 2012 - 11:36 AM.

12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Singleton
2B/ Gyorko
SS/
Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Aoki, Bautista, Cespedes, Rajai
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos, Tillman
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Stroman, Carrasco
BN/ Rios, Reynolds, Teixiera
DL/ Everth

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#10 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

ESPN New York's Wallace Matthews reports that the Yankees are insured for a good portion of the remaining $114 million left on Alex Rodriguez's contract.
Rodriguez will still get his money no matter what, but the Yankees could recoup at least 75 percent and up to 100 percent of the money owed. However, the veteran third baseman would have to miss at least a full season before the team could begin to collect on the policy. It's unclear whether the A-Rod's contract is ensured for its entire length, which runs through 2017, or whether any exclusions were written into the policy that would void it in the event of certain injuries. But it's a relevant topic in light of his looming hip surgery. Source: ESPN New York Dec. 4 - 1:49 pm et

Very interesting!  Could this open the door for Arod being out as the Yankees 3rd baseman and help the Yanks get younger in the process or does this mean nothing for the long term prospects of the team and their quest to avoid the luxary tax?
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#11 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 04 December 2012 - 11:33 AM, said:

i predict he hangs it up before his contract runs out. it won't be worth it to him. being a financial joke to the nyc and national media and a burden your employer and teammates is not worth the pride of anyone who is already set for life.

I'm sure you would also walk away from 114 million guaranteed as to not be a burden :rolleyes:

View Postdamana, on 04 December 2012 - 01:57 PM, said:

ESPN New York's Wallace Matthews reports that the Yankees are insured for a good portion of the remaining $114 million left on Alex Rodriguez's contract.
Rodriguez will still get his money no matter what, but the Yankees could recoup at least 75 percent and up to 100 percent of the money owed. However, the veteran third baseman would have to miss at least a full season before the team could begin to collect on the policy. It's unclear whether the A-Rod's contract is ensured for its entire length, which runs through 2017, or whether any exclusions were written into the policy that would void it in the event of certain injuries. But it's a relevant topic in light of his looming hip surgery. Source: ESPN New York Dec. 4 - 1:49 pm et

Very interesting!  Could this open the door for Arod being out as the Yankees 3rd baseman and help the Yanks get younger in the process or does this mean nothing for the long term prospects of the team and their quest to avoid the luxary tax?

I understand that to mean that the Yankees 'might' be reimbursed. I would still think A-Rod's contract counts towards payroll, and hence, the self-imposed 189 million cap starting in 2014
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#12 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,390 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:34 PM

View PostTheJRod2006, on 04 December 2012 - 08:22 PM, said:

I'm sure you would also walk away from 114 million guaranteed as to not be a burden :rolleyes:

I understand that to mean that the Yankees 'might' be reimbursed. I would still think A-Rod's contract counts towards payroll, and hence, the self-imposed 189 million cap starting in 2014

it's hard to imagine him leaving money on the table, but i just can't see him playing for five more years. FIVE MORE! can you visualize it? I can't. I just can't. A guy who is toast has one season, then one more season, and then another season, and then another season, and then one more season to go! '12, '13, '14, '15, '16. '17 ... this will actually happen? something will give.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 04 December 2012 - 11:34 PM.

12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Encarnacion
CI/ Singleton
2B/ Gyorko
SS/
Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Aoki, Bautista, Cespedes, Rajai
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos, Tillman
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Stroman, Carrasco
BN/ Rios, Reynolds, Teixiera
DL/ Everth

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#13 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:38 AM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 04 December 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

it's hard to imagine him leaving money on the table, but i just can't see him playing for five more years. FIVE MORE! can you visualize it? I can't. I just can't. A guy who is toast has one season, then one more season, and then another season, and then another season, and then one more season to go! '12, '13, '14, '15, '16. '17 ... this will actually happen? something will give.

I assume theres no such thing as buyouts in MLB like there are in the NBA? If there is hed be a prime candidate. This situation also goes to highlight the problem with guaranteed contracts in baseball, that said the teams sign them to the deals so they know the risk but man its a bad system theyve created.

#14 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,675 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

Everyone knew his deal was terrible from the beginning, I feel like not too far out that Pujols will be joining him
16 Team 10 Player Keeper  (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters:  Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers:  Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#15 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:57 PM

He could be a bargain for a 2nd half run.

#16 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,498 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

View PostLyondellBasell, on 04 December 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

I suppose the Yankees could always just DFA, but A-Rod would still get all of that money and the Yanks would get nothing aside from having him off the roster. I don't think the team is ready to admit that it's a sunk cost at this point.

View PostChubbles, on 05 December 2012 - 05:20 PM, said:

Everyone knew his deal was terrible from the beginning, I feel like not too far out that Pujols will be joining him

I'll never understand why the Yankees felt the need to give him that many years and that much money when they were bidding against themselves. So stupid.
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#17 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,670 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:56 AM

No, Thank you. Guy was great for many years, but now hes terrible.

#18 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 20,736 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:50 PM

Surgery now set for mid January. I dont think theres anyone out there who would take a chance on him now.

Alex Rodriguez said Saturday that he will undergo left hip surgery in "mid-January."
It's still not an exact date, but the procedure is expected to require a 4-6 month recovery timetable, so Rodriguez could be out until around midseason. At age 37, there's a chance the rehab process could take longer. With A-Rod sidelined, the Yankees currently have a one-year, $12 million offer on the table for Kevin Youkilis, and are looking at Jack Hannahan as a possible stop-gap option.

Source: Associated Press

Dec 8 - 12:53 PM

#19 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,645 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:55 PM

I really wanted to see Arod break some records but at this point, looks like the only thing he will break is a medicine bottle
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#20 Timmah!

Timmah!

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • 11,197 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:57 PM

We saw this in Philly back on the mid-90's with Lenny Dykstra. He'd show up for spring training, do some light work and hitting, declare his back still hurt and the team would collect the insurance. He did that 2-3 years running, IIRC.
SoB Tifo ~ AD FINEM FIDELIS ~ Bearfight Brigade

"Oh, you can't scare me, I'm stickin' to the Union!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users