Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
* * * - - 5 votes

Derrick Rose 2012-2013 Season Outlook

This topic is in the process of being archived.
729 replies to this topic

#1 SundayKindofLove

SundayKindofLove

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:15 AM

May be jumping the gun, but some sources believe Rose could be back to practice in a few weeks:

http://www.suntimes....-returning.html

It now looks like it was no coincidence that Adidas showed the final episode of Derrick Rose’s ‘‘The Return’’ ad campaign last week.
According to an NBA source, while ‘‘The Return’’ to the court for NBA games is still up in the air for Rose, the all-everything point guard could be just weeks away from practicing with the Bulls again after surgery on his left anterior cruciate ligament last May.
‘‘That’s the belief that a couple of [the Bulls’] players are under,’’ the source said.

Lest we forget, here were Rose's stats from the last two seasons:

2012: 21.8 pts/1.4 3's/3.4 reb/7.9 ast/0.9 stls
2011: 25 points/1.6 3's/4 Reb/7.7 Ast/ 1.0 Stl

Edited by SundayKindofLove, 04 December 2012 - 01:17 AM.

"He hears the crescendoing last chords of the national anthem and sees the great open horseshoe of the grandstand and that unfolding vision of the grass that always seems to mean he has stepped outside his life - the rubbed shine that sweeps and bends from the raked dirt of the infield out to the high green fences. It is the excitement of a revealed thing."

#2 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

Fascinating. Though--the timeframe still is probably in the February range--can't be careful enough with ACL injuries. What are your guys' thoughts on stashing / timing?

#3 SundayKindofLove

SundayKindofLove

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:25 AM

Fascinating. Though--the timeframe still is probably in the February range--can't be careful enough with ACL injuries. What are your guys' thoughts on stashing / timing?

I wouldn't make a move yet unless I had a big lead. I just thought this was a particularly interesting piece of information considering the source (Chicago Sun Times) and their source (Bulls' players). It may just be hopeless optimism on the Bulls' part - I don't think the average team should look into picking him up yet though but definitely be aware that he may come back in time.
"He hears the crescendoing last chords of the national anthem and sees the great open horseshoe of the grandstand and that unfolding vision of the grass that always seems to mean he has stepped outside his life - the rubbed shine that sweeps and bends from the raked dirt of the infield out to the high green fences. It is the excitement of a revealed thing."

#4 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:26 AM

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7274

Check this opinion as well

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we knew that already. Rose has been cutting, running and shooting for a while. When the surgery was complete, Dr. Brian Cole mentioned that the toughest part would be regaining confidence in the surgically repaired left knee.

It’s been written here repeatedly that the all-star break (Feb. 16-17) is a reasonable estimate for Rose’s return. Late January would be a best-case scenario, early March a cautious scenario. In all three outcomes, Rose is “weeks away” from returning to practice.

Rose tore the ACL in his left knee on April 28. Using Vikings RB Adrian Peterson’s nine-month return as a comparison, it’s conceivable Rose could be back playing in an NBA game by the end of January.

At the same time, he surely has more hurdles to cross and it’s probably accurate to say the Bulls have no date in mind yet for a return.

But running sprints at the Berto Center is certainly better than not running at all.

#5 SundayKindofLove

SundayKindofLove

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:28 AM

http://blogs.dailyherald.com/node/7274

Check this opinion as well

Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think we knew that already. Rose has been cutting, running and shooting for a while. When the surgery was complete, Dr. Brian Cole mentioned that the toughest part would be regaining confidence in the surgically repaired left knee.
It’s been written here repeatedly that the all-star break (Feb. 16-17) is a reasonable estimate for Rose’s return. Late January would be a best-case scenario, early March a cautious scenario. In all three outcomes, Rose is “weeks away” from returning to practice.
Rose tore the ACL in his left knee on April 28. Using Vikings RB Adrian Peterson’s nine-month return as a comparison, it’s conceivable Rose could be back playing in an NBA game by the end of January.
At the same time, he surely has more hurdles to cross and it’s probably accurate to say the Bulls have no date in mind yet for a return.
But running sprints at the Berto Center is certainly better than not running at all.

Nice. But I don't know if A-Pete is the proper time frame. Jumping puts quite a bit more stress on the knee than running. Still, nice find.

#6 vinz

vinz

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 566 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:31 AM

Generally the rule of thumb is you want the guy to be in contact drills to stash, but if you can time it to just before that that would probably be the best time.

Of course it all goes back to how big your lead is and how deep and competitive your league is.
12 team H2H 12-cat (FTM, PF, TECH)

PG: Ty Lawson
SG: Paul George
G: Gordon Hayward
SF: Thaddeus Young
PF: Anthony Davis
F: Dirk Nowitzki
C: DeMarcus Cousins
C: Joakim Noah
Util: Kyle Korver
Util: Tobias Harris
BN: Kendall Marshall
BN: Trey Burke
BN: Tyreke Evans

#7 inspiron22

inspiron22

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,226 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:34 AM

I agree--however, I wouldn't discount the insanity that is AP. Running, while not as stressing as jumping, is pretty damn intense at the NFL level, with tons of physical contact from tackles--AP returning in 9 months is ridiculous turnaround and Rose will likely need more time (and the organization will probably take a cautious approach. That puts him around a February-March timeframe still

#8 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 10:55 AM

The main difference with AP and Rose is AP got 100% of his rehab done in the offseason. Whereas Rose when he is finally 100% he won't exactly be in game condition.

Plus let's keep in mind that what AP did is unheard of and ground breaking to expect Rose to keep pace with that is extremely optimistic and almost ignorant. No way The Bulls rush him back after what had happened last season.

#9 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:12 AM

If you have an IR spot then someone should definitely be holding on to him in almost any league, especially keeper leagues. I picture him being a monster in the gym and really wanting to get back from this better than ever so the all star break sounds realistic, anything before that would be gravy.
16 Team 10 Player Keeper (2013 Champion!!!!!)
Hitters: Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers: Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#10 paqman78

paqman78

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,944 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:15 AM

There's no smoke without fire, I say.
"At the end of the day - we're ALL just speculating....and it's only Fantasy Basketball."

#11 TheWhiteMamba

TheWhiteMamba

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,482 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:16 AM

I think he'll be back after the all-star break at the earliest
10 team .5 ppr
QB: Stafford
RB: Murray
RB: Ellington
WR: Bryant
WR: Roddy White
TE: Pitta
FLEX: Rashad Jennings
D: Bengals
K: Graham
BN: Chris Johnson
BN: Erick Decker
BN: Pierre Thomas
BN: Boldin
BN: Justin Hunter
BN: Ahmad Bradshaw
BN: Zach Ertz

#12 khasm13

khasm13

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

im glad that i drafted well enough to pick him up around 3 weeks ago when someone dropped him....

#13 khasm13

khasm13

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:19 AM

btw...he is available in none of the 5 leagues that i'm in....all competitive....

#14 OldManFerg

OldManFerg

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:22 AM

btw...he is available in none of the 5 leagues that i'm in....all competitive....

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much in the long run for my Playoff chances.

Edited by OldManFerg, 04 December 2012 - 11:27 AM.

14 Team Standard League:
QB - Nick Foles
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Michael Floyd
RB - Doug Martin
RB - Ryan Mathews
TE - Jordan Reed
Flex - Terrance Williams
Flex - Fred Jackson
Bench - Aaron Dobson
Bench - Khiry Robinson
Bench - Christine Michael
Bench - Marvin Jones
Bench - Delanie Walker

#15 khasm13

khasm13

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:27 AM

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much.

no ir...people are just banking on their other players until he returns....having a guy like d.rose in the playoffs is golden imho...
you should be able to hold on in a 14 team league....i stashed him in my 12 teamer

#16 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

You may not be as free to play the 'hot waiver add of the week game' as much as others might be able to but if you have a solid core group of players then stashing Rose will pay off IMO
Hitters: Molina, Davis, Tulowitzki, Pedroia, Beltre, Ellsbury, Puig, Kemp, Melky, Prado, Russell, Reyes, Hill, Grandal, Josh hamilton, Morneau

Pitchers: Wainwright, Fernandez, Bumgarner, Hamels, Lincecum, Ventura, Chavez, Kazmir, Bauer, Mejia, Britton

#17 OldManFerg

OldManFerg

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 602 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

Do those leagues hold an IR spot? I'm in a 14 team league with no IR spot... Want to stash but I'm worried it might hurt me too much.

no ir...people are just banking on their other players until he returns....having a guy like d.rose in the playoffs is golden imho...
you should be able to hold on in a 14 team league....i stashed him in my 12 teamer

Hmm alright man I'll really consider it. Everything else I have read has told me to wait much closer until the date of his return. I take it Rose's value is far above Granger?

EDIT: I basically already have a stash. The Ilyasova effect :(

Edited by OldManFerg, 04 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

14 Team Standard League:
QB - Nick Foles
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Michael Floyd
RB - Doug Martin
RB - Ryan Mathews
TE - Jordan Reed
Flex - Terrance Williams
Flex - Fred Jackson
Bench - Aaron Dobson
Bench - Khiry Robinson
Bench - Christine Michael
Bench - Marvin Jones
Bench - Delanie Walker

#18 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yes I would put Rose above Granger.

#19 FouLLine

FouLLine

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,793 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:11 PM

Who wouldn't?

#20 Chubbles

Chubbles

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

Who wouldn't?

Someone in the thread above was asking