Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * - - - 3 votes

Montell Owens 2012 Season OutlookPossible Starter!?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
89 replies to this topic

#1 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 01:59 PM

Possibly could be the starting RB for Jax if MJD misses another game and Jennings misses the game with his concussion.

7 carries for 29 yards and 1 catch for 11 yards after Jennings left the game.

Any takers?
14 team H2H .5 PPR Auction
#Down With VEMMA

10 team H2H Draft

#2 Jaw

Jaw

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:21 PM

I don't know anything about him and have never seen him play ( I though he was a fb but maay be wrong), but based off the box score a 4+ ypc average and a catch in limited reps last week (with no practice) shows potential. Especially with the Jags playing the Jets next week I think he is worth a look. Both Jennings and Parmele who may be a little lacking on the talent end were able to put up some respectable numbers so I think Owens should be added and possibly started as a flex option for volume alone (I don't know much about his talent).

Jags may be without Shorts too which may make them rely on the run more (or make their offense stink).

#3 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

I'd be alot more intrigued if I knew Jennings was out.

#4 Beakman

Beakman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

He got most of the snaps at RB after Jennings left:

OFFENSE (72 snaps)

RB: Montell Owens 54, Rashad Jennings 16, Greg Jones 14, Richard Murphy 6.

Jennings was supposed to get a concussion test today, still haven't seen any word on the results.  The Jets are a bottom 5 run D, so he may be a sneaky play.  Would be pretty ballsy to start him in your playoffs though.

#5 Obscene_Domino

Obscene_Domino

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,389 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:49 PM

View PostBeakman, on 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

OFFENSE (72 snaps)

Jennings was supposed to get a concussion test today, still haven't seen any word on the results.  The Jets are a bottom 5 run D, so he may be a sneaky play.  Would be pretty ballsy to start him in your playoffs though.

No more ballsy than starting Ryan Mathews at this point. Especially if CS3 is out I believe Jags may run a bit more, considering Jets pass defense is pretty solid.
14 team H2H .5 PPR Auction
#Down With VEMMA

10 team H2H Draft

#6 JimmyGs

JimmyGs
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2012 - 04:51 PM

View PostObscene_Domino, on 04 December 2012 - 04:49 PM, said:

View PostBeakman, on 04 December 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

OFFENSE (72 snaps)

No more ballsy than starting Ryan Mathews at this point. Especially if CS3 is out I believe Jags may run a bit more, considering Jets pass defense is pretty solid.
I would be in favor of starting him. Could be the next Murray 2011 or Morris 2012 or Bryce Brown 2012. He got almost as many FFP as Morris in Week 13 (PPR).

Edited by JimmyGs, 04 December 2012 - 04:54 PM.

#7 ansky09

ansky09

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

I'm surprised more people aren't talking about him.. anything to see here???  Un-drafted out of Maine.  I haven't had the chance to check out his tapes but will do so.   This is interesting to say the least..

#8 munygon2

munygon2

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

Picked him up off waivers last night since virually all of my RB's have gone down to injuries.  I'm hoping for at least a flex play here, could do a lot worse I suppose - at least he's going to be a starting RB for a week or more.

#9 tbonuss

tbonuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

View PostJimmyGs, on 04 December 2012 - 04:51 PM, said:

He got almost as many FFP as Morris in Week 13 (PPR).

He did. I missed that. Thanks for the tip.  Hmmm...
Chud Bucket Free Agents
10 Team 1.0 PPR

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB1: Jamaal Charles
RB2: Frank Gore
RB/WR/TE: Knowshon Moreno
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron
D/ST: Who are the "Chefs"
K: Justin Tucker

Bench:
DEF: CIN
RB: Andre Brown / Le'Veon Bell / Montee Ball / Joique Bell
WR: Keenan Allen / Harry Douglas

#10 dodgerdog

dodgerdog

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,974 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

THIS IS HOW WE DOOO IIIIT! oh wait, that was Montell Jordan. WHO IS MONTELL OWENS??

#11 Beakman

Beakman

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:32 AM

I'm rolling with Montell this weekend!  Not sure why Rotoworld thinks it may be a committee, the Jags have  never really been a "share the wealth" kind of team.  Even Rashad Jennings, with all his plodding and  ineffectiveness, was getting all the backfield touches before his injury.

I hope he tears it up.  My opponent would go nuts if I beat him with Montell freaking Owens in the playoffs.

Edited by Beakman, 05 December 2012 - 11:33 AM.

#12 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,754 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Free agency ends in week 13 so I can't pick him up an start over Fitz. Or I would.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#13 BlakeAF

BlakeAF

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:37 AM

Worth a pickup for sure and I grabbed him, but I also had two guys with season ending injuries.  I wouldn't risk starting him until he is proven, but he is worth rostering for sure.  If you are desperate roll the dice, and I will be cheering for you.

#14 owenmills

owenmills

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:43 AM

I think he's a decent flex play as long as Jennings is out. They're playing a team with a bad run D, and a pretty bad offense, so the Jags shouldn't have to abandon the run. I haven't heard anything about Jennings though so I don't think that's been confirmed yet, although is appearing more and more likely. I would ignore Rotoworld's comments on the matter(committee, Jags will go pass heavy). Yeah it could happen and he could be a total bust of a play, but it's pure speculation on their part based on nothing(as usual). I'd be more inclined to think the Jags will go run heavy against that defense, especially if Shorts is out.

#15 hard1

hard1

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,555 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 11:44 AM

21 carries 100 plus yards 2tds are his career rushing stats. If that was over the course of one game the hype train would be out of control. Let's say he gets 15-20 carries this week, why not be excited?

#16 Robrain

Robrain

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,565 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:14 PM

Maurice Jones-Drew: 5'7" / 208lbs
Montell Owens: 5'10" / 225 lbs

The height / weight ratios seems similar.  And he seems to have a little bit of MJD in him if this run is any indication:

http://www.nfl.com/v...d-touchdown-run

Also:

http://www.nfl.com/v...s-pulls-down-TD

Maybe he's got a little bit of Arian Foster in him as well:

Edited by Robrain, 05 December 2012 - 12:20 PM.

View PostHolben, on 20 July 2012 - 04:44 PM, said:

Jackie Battle...Better than Chris Johnson...

Rotoworld Mock Draft Real League - 12-Team PPR (Teamname: "Maniac Allstars"):
QB: Andrew Luck
WR1: Calvin Johnson - WR2: Torrey Smith - Bench: Josh Gordon, Chris Givens, Ryan Broyles
RB1: Mikel LeShoure - RB2: Dexter McCluster - Bench: Montario Hardesty, Kevin Smith
TE: Dennis Pitta
FLEX: Tony Gonzalez
K: Greg Zuerlein

#17 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:33 PM

Montell Owens 2012 Season Outlook: WHY THE FFFF NOT !?!

#18 keld

keld

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:44 PM

Dave Richard said he looked pretty good on film.
ESPN, 12-team. 6pt all TDs including P/KR. .5 PPR, Bonuses - Passing: 300y (4) 400y (5). Receiving: 100y (4) 200y (6). Rushing 100y (4) 200y (6). 40-50Y TD (2), 50Y+ TD (3). Roster: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST, 6 bench.

QB:
RB:
WR:

TE:
D: K:

Yahoo, 16-team std scoring league, 1 PPR, 1pt / 20 passing yards. 1pt / 25 return yards. Roster: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, W/R/T, K, DST, 5 bench

QB:
RB:

WR:
TE:
D: K:

#19 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:47 PM

every year there is an out-of-nowhere scrub that someone rides to the championship ... watch some team sneak into the playoffs and win it with kaepernick, brown, owens, dx, josh gordon, marcedes lewis, and knowshon moreno at flex...

[i do not own owens in any league but i think he's a good bet for 8-10 points at least given the matchup]

#20 JJ1223

JJ1223

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 12:53 PM

Whoever was saying they thought he was a FB is correct

http://www.bigcatcou...ng-jaguars-news

"Right now Montell Owens would be the starter," Jaguars head coach Mike Mularkey told reporters on Monday. "I think when he’s had his opportunities, which has been very few, I’ve been pretty pleased with the way Montell Owens has run the ball even down there before we got that penalty on Cameron Bradfield. That was a good run.
"obviously, his specialty is special teams, but he’s just a really good football player," Mularkey added. "A really good football player."

With that said, I'm not going anywhere near this guy.  Jags offense is already garbage and now they're scraping bottom of the barrel for RBs... be careful, guys.