Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Dan Haren 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
356 replies to this topic

#1 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,908 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 06:58 PM

Probably will be moved at the deadline......Haren for Marmol.

According to reports, the Cubs acquired have acquired Dan Haren in exchange for Carlos Marmol.
The Cubs had been reported earlier in the day as a team that was interested in acquiring Haren. The Angels will first pick up Haren's $15.5 million option before dealing him to the Cubs. On a one-year deal, the Cubs could still conceivably flip Haren to a contender at the trade deadline if they so choose.
"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#2 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:19 PM

Great trade for the Cubs. Halos effed up on this one.
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
C - Jonathan Lucroy (MIL - C, 1B)
1B - Edwin Encarnacion (Tor - 1B, 3B)
2B - Robinson Cano (Sea - 2B)
3B - Miguel Cabrera (Det - 1B, 3B)
SS - Starlin Castro (ChC - SS)
LF - Carlos Gonzalez (COL - LF)
CF - Corey Dickerson (Col - LF, CF)
RF - George Springer (Hou - CF, RF)
Util - David Wright (NYM - 3B)
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Pitchers:(5 SP/5 RP)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Relievers: Craig Kimbrel, Greg Holland, Sean Doolittle, Joe Smith, Shae Simmons
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#3 rockmastermike

rockmastermike

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 884 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:28 PM

do we know any of the money involved yet on each side?

#4 sfdevil

sfdevil

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 07:49 PM

lol ? cubs just performed a highway robbery. if haren sucks they'll still find suitors at trade deadline and can flip him, since pitching is premium.

#5 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:15 PM

Dear god, the only saving grace of this deal is the ASSUMPTION that the Halos didn't throw in any cash and are at least saving around $5.7 million out of this. If they threw in cash it makes the whole thing that much worse
16 team H2H Dynasty league 6x6(R, HR, RBI, SB, BB, AVG / W, S, K's, Hld, ERA, WHIP)

Hitters:
BN - Oswaldo Arcia (Min - LF, RF), Jean Segura (Mil - SS), Kole Calhoun (LAA - RF), Jake Lamb (ARI - 3B), Lucas Duda (NYM - 1B, LF)
Starters: Clayton Kershaw, Cole Hamels, Cliff Lee, James Shields, Jose Quintana, Jordan Zimmermann, Carlos Martinez, Corey Kluber, Ivan Nova(DL)
Farm System: Andrew Heaney (MIA - SP), Marco Gonzales(StL - SP), Daniel Norris(TOR - SP), Ronald Guzman(TEX - 1B/OF), Dan Vogelbach(CHC - 1B), Blake Snell(TB - SP), Jose Martinez(Ari - SP), Hunter Dozier(KC - SS/3B), Adalberto Mejia(SF - SP)

#6 2Balls

2Balls

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,397 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:24 PM

Dear god, the only saving grace of this deal is the ASSUMPTION that the Halos didn't throw in any cash and are at least saving around $5.7 million out of this. If they threw in cash it makes the whole thing that much worse

Haha actually sound like they're also sending cash over with Haren. What? They panicked.

#7 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 08:26 PM

By all accounts they weren't bringing him back, so that's fine. I just wish they'd have declined his option and pay the $3.5 million buyout rather than take on $9.8 million for a mediocre RP.

Edit:

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal
Haren-for-Marmol NOT done. #Angels continue to talk to other clubs. #Cubs asked Marmol about teams on his no-trade and whether he would MORE

Ken Rosenthal@Ken_Rosenthal
agree to trade to #Angels. Again, no deal with #Cubs is complete. Possible, but not complete.

Oh man. COME ON MYSTERY TEAM!

Edited by Blood Brother, 02 November 2012 - 08:31 PM.

Hitters:

#8 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:32 PM

Praise the lord! The trade is OFF

though, it was the Cubs who reportedly nixed the deal, which means Dipoto was totally ok with actually doing that crappy deal. Oh well, saved for now, but now they have about 90 minutes left to still try and trade Haren before his option is due

Hitters:

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:42 PM

Why would the Cubs cancel that trade!? Giving up a horrible reliever with no control at all for a former top flight pitcher who had one bad year. That was an amazing deal for them!

Edited by baltimore_boy, 02 November 2012 - 09:42 PM.

Bring back Ray!

#10 Blood Brother

Blood Brother

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,042 posts

Posted 02 November 2012 - 09:49 PM

We'll likely never know the real reasoning. I jumped the gun in saying the Halos were totally OK with the deal, because we don't know if that was the entire deal

Perhaps the Cubs found something that concerned them regarding Haren's back issues. Perhaps the Halos were asking for another player in the deal along with Marmol, or perhaps the Cubs wanted the Halos to pick up a certain amount of Haren's 2013 salary and the Halos wouldn't. We'll probably never know the exact details

all that matters is that the deal is dead. Thank god

Hitters:

#11 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:03 PM

http://espn.go.com/m...cording-sources

He signed with the Nats today. This could be the perfect scenario for him. He should get barely any publicity because he is now away from the star-studded, but not so great Angels rotation. He should be a perfect compliment to slot in behind Strasburg/Gio/Zimmerman. Should be in for a solid year.
Bring back Ray!

#12 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:39 PM

if he's healthy in the spring, i bet the hype train arrives and he won't be a draft day bargain.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#13 jamie

jamie

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:06 PM

In a typical 12 team mixed league what round do see him going?

#14 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,586 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:10 PM

In a typical 12 team mixed league what round do see him going?

It's really really hard to tell right now. I mean he has the reputation and stuff to be a top 5 round pick, but with injury concerns he's probably falling to 9-12 right being a high risk high reward play. I think we'll have a better idea during spring training. If he's really healthy and throwing well might come down to round 7-8
FREE JOSH GORDON......THREAD

-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

#15 jamie

jamie

Single-A

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 01:25 PM

Agreed. If he's healthy, pitching in the NL again, he could easily be a top 25 SP.

#16 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 05:58 PM

I hope he stays healthy.

#17 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,074 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 02:50 PM

I absolutely love Dan Haren. I remember when I picked him up off FA in 2005 after this first start against the Orioles....never looked back. But, is this the eventual decline of Haren? His LD-rates trended up, GB trended down, FB% trending up....even his SwingingStrike% trended down and his Contact% trended up as well. He also 2 mph off his fastball....

Again, this is Dan Haren. Incredible knowledge on how to pitch and is extremely good at making adjustments. I think he'll be solid next year and start to really decline after that. Same goes with Josh Beckett who's experiencing the exact same trends (losing FB mph, all rates trending in the wrong way)

#18 AnonymousRob

AnonymousRob

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,341 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 03:03 PM

I absolutely love Dan Haren. I remember when I picked him up off FA in 2005 after this first start against the Orioles....never looked back. But, is this the eventual decline of Haren? His LD-rates trended up, GB trended down, FB% trending up....even his SwingingStrike% trended down and his Contact% trended up as well. He also 2 mph off his fastball....

Again, this is Dan Haren. Incredible knowledge on how to pitch and is extremely good at making adjustments. I think he'll be solid next year and start to really decline after that. Same goes with Josh Beckett who's experiencing the exact same trends (losing FB mph, all rates trending in the wrong way)

It's hard to say whether last year's decline was from him actually becoming a lesser player or whether it was injuries. If it was the injuries, we could be looking at a very nice rebound and a solid bargain come draft day.

Of course if the injury was merely a coincidence and he's falling apart before our eyes, you've just wasted a decent draft pick.

Personally I'm steering clear of this guy. There's always solid pitching value to be had in later rounds and I don't believe his realistic upside is that great to justify passing on whatever bat is there.
Want help in your A/C threads? Give details!!! Keeper/dynasty/redraft, ppr, league size, who is on your roster, roto/H2H, scoring system, etc.

#19 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,836 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 05:40 PM

With Haren, it's really simple - is he healthy enough that his FB is back to 90-91? The big problem is when his FB is 86-87 - the difference between his split and his cutter isn't good enough to fool MLB hitters - so they can spoil the split by either laying off or fouling it off <instead of whiffing>, and crush the cutter if it misses over the plate (he really fell in love with the backdoor inside cutter to LHP, which then became BP when they sat on it in his last year in ARI - the gopherball year).

Going back to the NL, on the Nats, there's HUGE profit potential - but the key will be if his back is sound. If it is, great - huge value. If it's not, though - he can't live at 87-ish like he did last year.

He's low enough that if you're at the SP4-5 tier, then there's little risk. But his name value alone makes it likely someone will take him as their SP3...I love the guy as undervalued for the last 3-4 years (when the whole "he fades in 2H <which was true in his OAK years, but a luck-induced mirage in his ARI years>" devalued him), but this is probably the first year I don't see him as an auto-pick - the SP4 ADP I think is about right for him.

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#20 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,703 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 10:44 PM

Ive got about 6-10 pitchers that I like on somewhat of a bounceback, I think in my 130 Cap auction can be in the 8-12 range and I intend to add 3 or 4 to fill out my staff.

Dan Haren is one of them, along with Morrow, Lincecum, Lester, Kennedy, Beckett, Halladay and a few others as well.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about