Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Andrew Cashner 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
947 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:33 PM

Andrew Cashner will need three months of recovery time after requiring surgery to repair a lacerated tendon in his right thumb.

Another injury for this kid. Cashner can light it up when healthy, but has proved to be very injury prone. He's the definition of high-risk/high-reward. He has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the league, but has really struggled to stay healthy. It seems doubtful that his body will ever hold up for a full season.
Bring back Ray!

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:22 PM

Andrew Cashner will need three months of recovery time after requiring surgery to repair a lacerated tendon in his right thumb.

Another injury for this kid. Cashner can light it up when healthy, but has proved to be very injury prone. He's the definition of high-risk/high-reward. He has the potential to be one of the best pitchers in the league, but has really struggled to stay healthy. It seems doubtful that his body will ever hold up for a full season.

I still think he is worth the risk late in drafts. Since the injury ended his season last year there might not be much hype on him and his ADP might slip. Any padre starter with above average K numbers is worth the risk.
No Days Off

#3 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Hunting accident? Maybe MLB teams should put clauses in player contracts, lol. Didn't Clint Barmes have an accident hunting with Todd Helton in the past? I believe Robin Yount shot Dale Svuem by accident on the weekend? These guys not wearing their orange vests??

#4 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,727 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:21 PM

this was really the main chip the padres got for rizzo? what a joke. guy is a walking tragedy.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#5 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,465 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:16 PM

I've said a few times that the Cubs stole Rizzo from the Padres. I stand by that. Can't believe the Friers gave up on him so fast.

Oh my friends, my friends, forgive me

That I live and you are gone.

There's a grief that can't be spoken.

There's a pain goes on and on.

#6 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:26 PM

always an intriguing arm and pitches half his games in petco, but can't seem to catch a break. he could be a good player to stash on the DL if no one drafts him.

Andrew Cashner (thumb) is "set to start the season on the disabled list," according to MLB.com's Corey Brock.

Cashner needed emergency surgery last month on his right thumb after suffering a lacerated tendon during a hunting accident. There was some initial hope that he would be able to recover in time for the opening of the 2013 regular season, but it's not going to happen. The right-hander will aim to debut by the end of April.

I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#7 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,119 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 09:29 PM

what do you expect? the guy throws 100 mph every single time and doesnt have many secondary pitches. Of course there is going to be problems with his arm throughout the years. However if he wants to be a starting pitcher in this league hell have to go down to about 94 mph to stretch his outings out and gain 2 other plus pitches
[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#8 cyberer

cyberer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 9,749 posts

Posted 15 March 2013 - 11:44 PM

Getting excited- got him for a few bucks late in my auction where I needed Ks/Pitching.

Andrew Cashner yielded one run over 2 1/3 innings Friday against the Dodgers.

Advice: Cashner gave up three hits and a walk while striking out two. He threw 23 out of 35 pitches for strikes and topped out at 97 mph range with his fastball. While he entered camp as a question mark following surgery on his right thumb, there's still enough time for him to get stretched out for the start of the season. If he can stay healthy, there's big upside in fantasy leagues.

SIG UPDATED FOR NFL WEEK 6

"Formerly" All About the Benjamin

2nd Place
12 Team PPR

QB Cutler (backup Romo)
WR1 Julio Jones
WR2 Randall Cobb
WR3 Steve Smith (Backups Michael Crabtree and Cordarrelle Patterson)

RB1 Lesean McCoy
RB2 Eddie Lacy
TE Kelce (backup Cameron)
FLEX Ben Tate (can also play cordarrelle or crabtree here)

#9 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 09:29 AM

Was very high on him last year when he moved into the rotation. People are still sleeping on him and I am hoping to grab Cashner as my #5.
www. drafttracker.net

#10 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:29 AM

Anyone that throws 97 and finds a way into a rotation is fantasy worthy. If Cashner stays healthy, he will definitely be up there in strike outs.
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#11 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:55 AM

Wha tier of SP's would you put him in? Pretty intriguing.
All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#12 Caelum

Caelum

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 665 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 11:59 AM

Been targeting him in each of my drafts, since he seems to be getting ignored by most others so far (25th round pick in my last CBS draft).
10-team mixed, 5x5

C: Ramos, Mesoraco
1B: Vargas; 2B: Carpenter; SS: D. Santana; 3B: Donaldson
MI: Wong; CI: Uribe
OF: Crawford, Soler, Dickerson, Eaton, Pearce
U: Ortiz
SP: Cueto, Iwakuma, A. Wood, Pineda, Fiers, Carrasco
RP: Chapman, Storen, Doolittle, Britton
Bench: Inciarte, Betts, Marisnick, Petit, Lohse, Peavy

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:41 PM

I think he really has been ignored so far. In every mock I've been in i have grabbed him I just hope pthe hype won't build up within the next week when I draft
No Days Off

#14 holyBrowns

holyBrowns

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,248 posts

Posted 16 March 2013 - 12:49 PM

I think he really has been ignored so far. In every mock I've been in i have grabbed him I just hope pthe hype won't build up within the next week when I draft

I beat a couple of my league mates last year with Cashner in my lineup (h2h), I hope they forget.
14 Team Total Points - Weekly Lineup Locks [hitting scoring] 1 pt per single, run, rbi, bb, sb, hbp - 2 pts per double - 3 pts per triple - 4 pts per home run [pitching scoring] 15 pts per win, 3 pts per QS, 2 pts per CG, 1 pt per K, 10 pts per no hitter, 5 pts per perfect game, 8 pts per save, relief win
C: Yan Gomes
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Dustin Pedroia
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Starlin Castro
OF: Mike Trout
OF: Giancarlo Stanton
OF: Alex Rios
DH: David Ortiz
SP: Zack Greinke
SP: Jered Weaver
SP: Johnny Cueto
RP: Jason Grilli
Bench: Bogaerts, Polanco, Morneau, Iwakuma, Peavy, Colon, Simon, Buehrle, Kelly, Chavez

#15 dorsett33

dorsett33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 09:25 AM

I think that this is the year that Cashner shakes the injury bug and has a big year. His arm doesnt have a lot of mileage on it and he seems ready to go based on what ive heard and read.

Good article/interview here:http://sandiego.padr...book_sd&c_id=sd

If he can harness the control a bit and throw his off-speed pitches for strikes he's gonna be a stud. Any thoughts or predictions on his upcoming 2013 season?

Edited by dorsett33, 19 March 2013 - 09:29 AM.

#16 Tchaikovsky08

Tchaikovsky08

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,112 posts

Posted 19 March 2013 - 10:16 AM

I just drafted this guy in both my leagues after owning him everywhere last year too. This thumb injury is far less scary than any elbow or shoulder problems, and it seems to fall in the category of "freak injuries" (see Ellsbury, Jacoby). I have high hopes for him, especially in light of his improved control and command of the strike zone. While I'm optimistic, I view him with the upside of a SP3 for this year, and more likely SP4 or SP5 material as he learns to harness his gifts.

#17 dorsett33

dorsett33

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:15 PM

More positive news....

Andrew Cashner struck out four while allowing one run over 2 2/3 innings against the Giants Wednesday.
He gave up three hits and walked one. Cashner now has a 3.00 ERA and has struck out over a batter per inning this spring, but he's tallied only six innings. Despite the low inning total, the right-hander remains confident that he'll be ready to roll at the start of the season. He has ample fantasy upside if he can stay healthy.

With this guy you keep your fingers crossed that he can make it 150+ innings because his stuff is electric. Not many can hit his fastball.

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 06:59 PM

More positive news....

Andrew Cashner struck out four while allowing one run over 2 2/3 innings against the Giants Wednesday.
He gave up three hits and walked one. Cashner now has a 3.00 ERA and has struck out over a batter per inning this spring, but he's tallied only six innings. Despite the low inning total, the right-hander remains confident that he'll be ready to roll at the start of the season. He has ample fantasy upside if he can stay healthy.

With this guy you keep your fingers crossed that he can make it 150+ innings because his stuff is electric. Not many can hit his fastball.

I would be happy with 150 innings from him this year, and I don't expect him to get that much more because he still is a recently converted from a reliever. He can still get around 140 to 150 ks in those innings pitching in petco
No Days Off

#19 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,864 posts

Posted 20 March 2013 - 07:02 PM

Of course now there is a report that it will be a "close call" that he is ready for the opener. This probably doesn't mean to much and might actually help his value. It might scare the casual fantasy player away when in reality he might only miss one or two starts
No Days Off

#20 GJDHouse

GJDHouse

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,180 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 10:06 AM

Has Jeff Samardiza type breakout potential. Very similar arms. Big power with loose control. Hopefully Cashner can stay healthy and show us what he can do. He can be a valuable late source of strikeouts. Great guy to stash in H2H leagues. When he plays he is going to be very productive.