Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Brett Lawrie 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
852 replies to this topic

#1 v0dka

v0dka

I ♥ football

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 01:19 AM

So, what do you guys think of Lawrie in 2013? 2012 was suppose to be his breakout year that everyone was hoping for but that didn't happen. Everyone was so high on him last year, I targeted him in all of my leagues and he didn't fall to me in one.
@MikeBaileyNFL

#2 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

Bit of a free swinger, book got out on him. But boy, when he squares up, boom!

I'd expect a .275-.285 avg, 20-25 homers, 80-90 rbi, 15 sb

#3 jsp2014

jsp2014

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,636 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 10:42 AM

I'm interested in seeing where his ADP ends up. I'd take a gamble on him but he's hard to pencil in as my starting 3B in fantasy.

he put everything on the ground and the power disappeared. his SB success rate was very poor. he can't take a walk. he had very little fantasy value last year so he has pretty far to go to be a top 12 3B.

the lineup is improved, and generally that's a good thing but I think he starts the year hitting 6th-8th rather than at the top like he was for a lot of last year. that's a net negative.

I don't know. I believe in the talent enough to take a shot on him, but he was so bad last year that I don't think I'd take him in the first 10 rounds of a 12-teamer.
I will never draft Francisco Liriano ever again.

#4 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I'm interested in seeing where his ADP ends up. I'd take a gamble on him but he's hard to pencil in as my starting 3B in fantasy.

he put everything on the ground and the power disappeared. his SB success rate was very poor. he can't take a walk. he had very little fantasy value last year so he has pretty far to go to be a top 12 3B.

the lineup is improved, and generally that's a good thing but I think he starts the year hitting 6th-8th rather than at the top like he was for a lot of last year. that's a net negative.

I don't know. I believe in the talent enough to take a shot on him, but he was so bad last year that I don't think I'd take him in the first 10 rounds of a 12-teamer.

He could be a steal depending on where he ADP is. I think I would take a shot on him round six or later, but not in the top five rounds. If his ADP is around 80 I think he is a steal there. Hopefully he makes some adjustments to pitching this offseason and matures as a player.
No Days Off

#5 SkinsNoles21

SkinsNoles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 04:40 PM

Is he someone who should be considered in a keeper league? or are we going to see a repeat/only slightly better season out of him?

Weekly 12 Team 6x6 H2H Keeper

Bats:
C: Yan Gomes 1B: Victor Martinez 2B: Jose Altuve (K) 3B: Miguel Cabrera (K) SS: Ben Zobrist OF: Andrew McCutchen (K), Chris Carter, Starling Marte, Util: Josh Donaldson B: Yoenis Cespedes

Arms:
SPs: Corey Kluber (K), Jake Arrieta (K) RPs: Aroldis Chapman, Sean Doolittle Ps: Jeff Samardjiza, James Paxton, Danny Duffy B: Hisashi Iwakuma, James Shields, Wei Yen Chen, Shelby Miller, Yusmeiro Petit 

#6 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:13 AM

i really just don't know what he is ... never profiled as a big power guy in the minors until he went to the PCL ... he doesn't steal bags ... he doesn't walk ... hopefully he crushes it in the spring and gets hyped up again so other people reach for him.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson

RB/ Sproles

WR/ Edelman

FX/ Wright

FX/ Bradshaw

FX/ P Thomas

TE/ Kelce

DST/ Bengals

K/ Parkey

Bn/ Hill, Blue, M Austin, Charles, D Adams

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#7 yankees4735

yankees4735

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Is he someone who should be considered in a keeper league? or are we going to see a repeat/only slightly better season out of him?

I think with moves Toronto made he is a keeper. He will most likely bat 5th behind Reyes, Cabrera, Bautista and Encarnacion.

#8 archibjd

archibjd

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 659 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I think he will be huge this year especially in terms of value. Basically last year he swung and made too much contact out of the strike zone compared to his 1st year. That's why he had such a s---y GB rate that went way up. His first year though he showed a great eye. With a better lineup and less expectations I think he can go back to the patient hitter he was in his first year which means that he'll be hitting pitches hard in the zone. I think Lawrie will hit 25+ homers with 15+ SB with around a 300 average.

#9 cymbaline

cymbaline

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 02:15 PM

This thread isn't complete without Lawrie's picture

Posted Image

Edited by cymbaline, 05 January 2013 - 02:16 PM.

#10 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:50 PM

Great debut, mediocre sophmore year... I'm slightly skeptical for this hacker.

Reminds me of the time Gordon Beckham debuted, but went downhill after that.

#11 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:09 AM

He could be a steal depending on where he ADP is. I think I would take a shot on him round six or later, but not in the top five rounds. If his ADP is around 80 I think he is a steal there. Hopefully he makes some adjustments to pitching this offseason and matures as a player.

6th round? He was a post 6th rounder last year...I wouldn't touch him in the first 12 rounds.

#12 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:25 AM

lawrie is the type of player I will ignore and say he will not become what he was suppose to be and then will. he is still young.

#13 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:32 AM

6th round? He was a post 6th rounder last year...I wouldn't touch him in the first 12 rounds.

He went around pick 40 in every league I was in last year, and I know closer to draft day people were thinking about him in the early third. I can understand not wanting to go near him in the first 12 rounds given his year last year, but he is also a young player he still has that 20 20 potential from 3B which is huge. He is young, now he just needs to adjust to the pitchers and mature as a player.
No Days Off

#14 PRoSPx

PRoSPx

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:50 AM

No doubt Lawrie has potential. But I'd rather take a risk on Hosmer personally.

#15 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

I can see that, Hosmer should also go later in drafts too.
No Days Off

#16 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 483 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 06:13 PM

What's your projections for both players? The reason I ask is because Lawrie has 3B elgibility and Hosmer is 1B/OF. Traditionally you'd give a nod to a 3B pos over 1B/Of... so curious the project difference to not have the 3B elgibility to give the edge to Lawrie?

#17 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,661 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 10:59 PM

Posted Image

wow. this is not the kinda guy i want on my team. i only draft classy ballplayers.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson

RB/ Sproles

WR/ Edelman

FX/ Wright

FX/ Bradshaw

FX/ P Thomas

TE/ Kelce

DST/ Bengals

K/ Parkey

Bn/ Hill, Blue, M Austin, Charles, D Adams

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#18 Dissection

Dissection

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:00 PM

Watching him,I came to conclusion that his stats from last year are his floor for 2013.I think he will be a lot better cause it was noticeable that he's going through learning process.He lacks those little things that separate those stats from a far better ones.His youth was one of the problem cause he lacked some patience and some of the decisions were pretty suspicious(SB record proves that).He has the speed and power but needs to adapt to be fully effective.I really like him for the next year but I think 2014 will be the year when he explodes.I predict: 283/17/70/20.

#19 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,798 posts

Posted 08 January 2013 - 12:15 PM

Posted Image

wow. this is not the kinda guy i want on my team. i only draft classy ballplayers.

Clearly you have never won a fantasy league because you have never drafted the great Milton Bradley then.
No Days Off

#20 Fantasy Fiend

Fantasy Fiend

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 09 January 2013 - 03:59 PM

Lawrie will have a bounce back year, especially with the addition of star players. He was injured too last year which is why his stat line may appear watered down.