Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

2012 Keeper League Central

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
9 replies to this topic

#1 nycldn

nycldn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:16 AM

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but why would you play in a league with a draft and with multiple keepers without financial costs for keeping players? It seems to me that the top 20 players or more would be kept each year, meaning the final standings next year would not be wide open. I'm certain I'm missing something simple here, and if someone had a minute I'd appreciate knowing what it is.
BASKETBALL: Yahoo Public League: Roto, 12 Team, 9 cat
PG Steve Nash, Jameer Nelson; SG James Harden, Jarrett Jack, Kyle Korver
SF Metta World Peace, Chandler Parsons; PF Serge Ibaka, Amir Johnson
CC Marcin Gortat, Larry Sanders, Tristan Thompson, Tiago Splitter

HOCKEY: Yahoo Public League: Roto, 12 Team, 10 cat (6 skate, 4 goal)
TEAM A: (9th pick, missed first half of draft, computer picked)
CC Tavares, Couture, Backes
LW Lucic, DBrown; RW JNeal, Cole, Brunner
D JJohnson, Timonen, Wideman, White
G Holtby, Dubnyk, Giguere, Theodore

TEAM B: (3rd pick, fyi Lundqvist and Quick went 1-2)
CC Malkin, Jokinen
LW EKane, Kunitz, Clowe; RW Clarkson, Brunner
D Karlsson, Byfuglien, Boyle, Campbell
G Smith, Varlamov, Niemi, Elliott, Theodore

#2 larsenjake

larsenjake

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:33 AM

In my league, you cant keep anyone drafted in rounds 1 or 2. If you choose to keep a player, you gotta give up a draft pick next year that's two rounds higher than the round in which the player was selected. For example, Kemba Walker was drafted in the eighth round this year. If the team decides to keep him, they'll give up their sixth round pick in the following year. That can continue until round 1 or the team decides not to keep him.

#3 nycldn

nycldn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

View Postlarsenjake, on 06 December 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

In my league, you cant keep anyone drafted in rounds 1 or 2. If you choose to keep a player, you gotta give up a draft pick next year that's two rounds higher than the round in which the player was selected. For example, Kemba Walker was drafted in the eighth round this year. If the team decides to keep him, they'll give up their sixth round pick in the following year. That can continue until round 1 or the team decides not to keep him.

That makes some sense.

(So, if Walker was kept a second year it would be a 4th rounder you lose the second draft?)

Thank you.

Edited by nycldn, 06 December 2012 - 02:37 AM.

CC Malkin, Jokinen

#4 bloopy

bloopy

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,397 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

in my league, there are maximum 3 keepers. each keeper burns a top round pick, so that 1 keeper uses your 1st round pick, 2 keepers use your 1st and 2nd round picks, ect. the draft order is determined by last year's record. so generally the "worst" team from last year, with theoretically the worst keepers, gets draft priority. this gives bad teams an opportunity to abstain from keeping entirely and simply draft from the available players. this could work in their favor if they have absolutely no one good on last year's squad, because this means there will be good players available that couldn't be kept.

also, from experience, it's hardly your top "keeper" picks that determine a champion caliber team; it's the undervalued guys drafted in the mid-rounds or savvy free agent pickups who make the biggest difference. i enjoy keeper leagues because player values are fluid enough in fantasy bball that a lot of things can happen year over year, and it's the gambles on future potential that add more excitement each year.
13.9 pts, 5.4 rebs, 3.3 asts, 1.0 stls, 0.7 blks, 1.0 3pm, 1.9 to, 46 FG%, 78 FT%

#5 jayreyd

jayreyd

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,511 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 12:21 PM

I play in an auction keeper league and I think when it comes to keeper leagues it's the best way to go. Every manager gets a shot at any player they target, $ amount tagged to each player makes setting their value much easier. In mine a player stays the same drafted price their 2nd yr, up by 50% the 3rd and up by 100% the 4th, after that they're free agents.
I got my Landry Fields Raps jersey.... Do you?

#6 larsenjake

larsenjake

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

View Postnycldn, on 06 December 2012 - 02:34 AM, said:

View Postlarsenjake, on 06 December 2012 - 02:33 AM, said:

That makes some sense.

(So, if Walker was kept a second year it would be a 4th rounder you lose the second draft?)

Thank you.

exactly

#7 nycldn

nycldn

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 381 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 06:00 PM

I get Keepers with Auctions (I play this way in baseball, salaaries increase if the player is kept)- it was the draft I didn't get.

CC Malkin, Jokinen

#8 binhdvu83

binhdvu83

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,352 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:14 PM

I play in a 16 team league money league with 4 keepers. We've been only having to replace 1-2 teams a year so its been working for us. Like someone stated above, its the mid to late round draft picks that determine how well your team will play all season, not just your top keepers. This is assuming you don't have Lebron, Durant, Paul and Love all on the same team.
16 team (8-cat) H2H each cat $$ re-draft
PG: J. Calderon, G. Hill, N. Cole
SG: E. Bledsoe, C. Lee, M. Bellinelli
SF: N. Batum,  S. Marion, D. Carroll, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, T. Duncan,
C: , A. Varejao, R. Lopez, A. Ajinca, J. Oneal

30 team (8-cat) H2H NBA dynasty league (8 players) 5th year
PG: J. Calderon, M. Chalmers
SG: A. Bradley,  F. Garcia
SF: N. Batum, C. Delfino, J. Johnson
PF: D. Nowitzki, C. Bosh
C: Anthony Davis, B. Diaw

#9 bobbyhurley

bobbyhurley

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 06:38 AM

View Postnycldn, on 06 December 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but why would you play in a league with a draft and with multiple keepers without financial costs for keeping players? It seems to me that the top 20 players or more would be kept each year, meaning the final standings next year would not be wide open. I'm certain I'm missing something simple here, and if someone had a minute I'd appreciate knowing what it is.

This. Can't for the life of me understand how these kinds of leagues exist. I'm in one and it's terrible (not bitter, I have four guys putting up first round value, but that's not fair). Whether it's financial cost/salary cap or draft pick cost, there's gotta be something. Why reward the same team each year for being lucky enough to have the #1 pick in year one of the league and take Durant? Perpetually rewards getting lucky in year one instead of rewarding those who are a good judge of talent and make smart decisions with their resources.

#10 Tbowlo

Tbowlo

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 11:31 AM

View Postbobbyhurley, on 07 December 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

View Postnycldn, on 06 December 2012 - 02:16 AM, said:

This. Can't for the life of me understand how these kinds of leagues exist. I'm in one and it's terrible (not bitter, I have four guys putting up first round value, but that's not fair). Whether it's financial cost/salary cap or draft pick cost, there's gotta be something. Why reward the same team each year for being lucky enough to have the #1 pick in year one of the league and take Durant? Perpetually rewards getting lucky in year one instead of rewarding those who are a good judge of talent and make smart decisions with their resources.

Definitely agree with this assessment. I am in a league like this too and literally we were drafting Round 15 players by Round 6. The team with Lebron will be keeping him until the end of his career, which gives him a huge advantage over every other team. It's hard to crawl out of the hole, as last year's basement teams are still in the basement this year.