Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

- - - - -

No More Kickoffs?Return Yardage leagues cringe

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
62 replies to this topic

#1 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:17 PM

This is just a fun football article that will pretty much eliminate return yardage leagues.  Punts will still have value but they obviously don't offer the same yardage as kickoffs.  What are your thoughts?  

It's pretty much a conclusion that kickoffs will be out of the NFL at some point the league is making that clear, I'm sure they are just finding a way to do it right.  The idea that Schiano suggested in this article is the worst idea I've ever heard, but I'm sure they will figure out something.

Probably after scores they will just put the ball on the 20.

http://espn.go.com/n...ffs-report-says
Team 1: 12 Team Keeper 1pt PPR. 5 per TD. 1 per 20 passing

QB: Cutler,Big Ben
RB: Gerhart, Sankey, B.Pierce, Terrance West, James White, Chris Polk
WR:Calvin, AJ Green, Julio(Flex), M. Floyd(Flex), J. Hunter, D. Baldwin
TE: Kyle Rudolph

#2 fredth3cat

fredth3cat

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

:lol:  I'm sure defenses would just love having to worry about covering guys like Calvin Johnson or AJ Green on every "kickoff".

This would also open up the potential for a team to score a TD on its own kickoff. I can't wait to see the Patriots jump to a 49-0 lead without the Bills ever touching the ball!

#3 dzemens

dzemens

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,739 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:11 PM

If they make this change they can go ahead and start passing out tu-tus and tiaras and be done with it all. Its like the NFL wants to deny theres an assumed level of risk and its something the players are worried about. All these guys know what they are doing when they do it, dropping heads, lying to trainers about injuries etc, they all know the consequences it can have. When you talk about doing something like this, or the ridiculous proposal to eliminate the low block, you are fundamentally changing the way the game is played. Continuing on this path and it will turn into something unrecognizable, its already bad enough with the kickoff being moved to where it presently is. Its a rare sight to see a return these days, but at least the option is still there.
"To be the man, you gotta beat the man!"

#4 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM

This sounds like the worst idea ever. What team would possibly approve of this? If they REALLY hate kickoffs that much, then just put the ball at the 20 instead of letting them punt it. It just doesn't make any sense. It is still a return, which is what they are trying to eliminate.
Bring back Ray!

#5 GottaGetTheWin

GottaGetTheWin

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,367 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

This sounds like the worst idea ever. What team would possibly approve of this? If they REALLY hate kickoffs that much, then just put the ball at the 20 instead of letting them punt it. It just doesn't make any sense. It is still a return, which is what they are trying to eliminate.

It really is the absolute worst idea ever.
Team 1: 12 Team Keeper 1pt PPR. 5 per TD. 1 per 20 passing

QB: Cutler,Big Ben
RB: Gerhart, Sankey, B.Pierce, Terrance West, James White, Chris Polk
WR:Calvin, AJ Green, Julio(Flex), M. Floyd(Flex), J. Hunter, D. Baldwin
TE: Kyle Rudolph

#6 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:47 PM

There is no such thing as safe football.

It's already a shame 99% of hard hits are instantly flagged ... pretty soon they'll be pressing charges for assault every time a QB gets sacked.

#7 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 04:55 PM

You know,  and I'm sorry if this is cold but I really don't have concern for people who voluntarily put their bodies on the line for entertainment making millions,  and here is why.

You have people that put their lives, actual lives on the line making peanuts compared to athletes.  Fireman for instance,  save lives and make not even an inkling  these players make.

Or even more importantly,  people serving in the army or any branch that put their lives at risk,  dying for us and they aren't making anywhere near the kind of money athletes make.

And the point is,  they are all areas of life people have CHOSEN to do with their lives.

I can't help that football is a violent sport,  that's simply what it is.  These players know what they are getting involved with,  and they accept it. Sure if that means getting brain injuries down the road then sadly that is the outcome.

But it's not scaring players away,  so therefore I can't worry about it.  So ill take the entertainment and enjoy it.

If that isn't good enough then I say turn nfl into a flag league and call it a day.  Holy god I am sick of the morning and whining about everything under the damn sun these days,  it's unreal.

Sure I'm okay with them working on helmets and bettering the gear,  but Christ come on,  taking away parts of the game is simply going down a path that will eventually kill the league.

#8 dudeondacouch

dudeondacouch

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Eliminating kickoffs is stupid.
2014: 12-Team, Full PPR, #1 Pick

QB ---- Russell Wilson
RB ---- Jamaal Charles, Andre Ellington, Shane Vereen, Pierre Thomas, Joique Bell, Carlos Hyde, Knile Davis
WR---- Antonio Brown, Percy Harvin, Greg Jennings, Doug Baldwin, Josh Gordon, Jermaine Kearse

TE----- Julius Thomas
K ------ Shayne Graham
DEF--- St. Louis Rams

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,694 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 05:20 PM

View PostSavatage79, on 06 December 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

You know,  and I'm sorry if this is cold but I really don't have concern for people who voluntarily put their bodies on the line for entertainment making millions,  and here is why.

This is my opinion too. These people are voluntarily playing, no one is forcing them too. The NFL needs to stop taking all of the fun away from the league because of safety. If it really does bother the players that much, then they can retire. There are plenty of other players that would love to take their spot.
Bring back Ray!

#10 Sportslife

Sportslife

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:04 AM

Does Goodell really care about player safety or does he not want the players to sue them later on in life?

#11 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:05 AM

You have people that put their lives, actual lives on the line making peanuts compared to athletes.  Fireman for instance,  save lives and make not even an inkling  these players make.

Or even more importantly,  people serving in the army or any branch that put their lives at risk,  dying for us and they aren't making anywhere near the kind of money athletes make.

And the point is,  they are all areas of life people have CHOSEN to do with their lives.

I can't help that football is a violent sport,  that's simply what it is.  These players know what they are getting involved with,  and they accept it. Sure if that means getting brain injuries down the road then sadly that is the outcome.

But it's not scaring players away,  so therefore I can't worry about it.  So ill take the entertainment and enjoy it.

If that isn't good enough then I say turn nfl into a flag league and call it a day.  Holy god I am sick of the morning and whining about everything under the damn sun these days,  it's unreal.

Sure I'm okay with them working on helmets and bettering the gear,  but Christ come on,  taking away parts of the game is simply going down a path that will eventually kill the league.

Could not agree more. The sport is, essentially, violence. The players know it and the risks that come along with it. Don't wanna get hurt? Get a real job.

#12 BlackNSilver11

BlackNSilver11

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:12 AM

If you do eliminate the kick-off. Make it less complicated.

Score a TD, the next team gets it at the 20. Down by a TD and want to go for an onside-kick?  Ball on your own 40 yard line and must complete a play to the opponents 40 yard line. Failure to complete the "onside" will result in the other team having the ball at their own 40. Pretty fair if you ask me.

Edited by BlackNSilver11, 07 December 2012 - 12:13 AM.

10-team PPR League (1 pt per 10 rush/rec yards, 1 pt per 25 pass yards, .50 pt per completion, 3 pts per pass TD, 6 pts per rush/rec TD, -3 points per INT/FUM LOST)

QB - RGIII
WR - Julio Jones
WR - Victor Cruz
WR - Marques Colston
RB - Ray Rice
RB - DeMarco Murray
WR/RB - Ryan Mathews
TE - Kyle Rudolph
K - S. Janikowski
DEF - New England

Bench:
QB - Joe Flacco
RB - Bernard Pierce, Bryce Brown
WR -  Greg Little, Rod Streater, Kenny Britt
DEF - GB Defense

#13 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 12:56 AM

If NFL ever did end up being that pansy of a league, I honestly believe that some big shot could formulate a new league and get players easily and for a fraction of the pay. Think about all the undrafted talent out there, and hell...there would be people lining up to get 100k a year to play ball.

I dont know why we live in such a pansy a** society, i really dont. I feel like so many people just want to look so righteous or something and point out the flaws in everything or anything, and it gets tiresome. Entertainment is just that, there are plenty more DANGEROUS types of entertainment, how about Nascar? People who risk their lives driving hundreds of mph and could wreck and die within any race. Yet is Nascar trying to put regulators on the cars or put bumpers on them to turn them into a bumper car race? No, it comes with the territory.

Its like you hear about people who do dangerous things for entertainment, like Aron Ralston for example...the man had to hack off his own arm while doing something he loves. Did he just quit doing the activity he loves? Nope....right back out there as soon as he could because he loves it, knows the risk and is ok with it.

Football is a violent sport that has always been violent and hard hitting. All you can do is hope players come out ok, thats truly all you can do aside from working on better equipment. If Goodell wants to be a pansy, then i say someone else needs to run the league.

What needs to happen is players need to sign a form that says that they cant sue the NFL if they are messed up 30 years down the road, that is honestly what needs to happen. These players sueing the NFL are idiots, because they chose the sport, they are the ones that put their bodies out there, nobody else but their own choices.

The whole thing makes me sick, its idiotic, annoying and ruins one of the most exciting sports out there.

#14 lilrobbieryan

lilrobbieryan

Double-A

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:07 AM

OK, 2 quick points.

1. They make the type of money they do because of the money generated, not b/c of any danger involved.  Firefighters don't generate billions, so they don't make 250k minimum.  That is an economic judgement.  I heard enough of this they should be grateful to make so much business in lockout discussions a while back.  Heck owners make way more and owning a NFL team which is seemingly a surefire moneymaker with little risk.

2. Nobody playing now, who has dedicated their lives to football for at least a decade generally, knew the risks were so severe.  Suicide, depression, dementia...its not a painful knee or bad hip.

Really, I hate self aggrandizing fans and writers, not to mention a commissioner that is a PR hack, but there needs to be major discussions over the issue.  The reality is fewer people will go into football longterm and those in the league may sue.  Plus too many Duersons and viewership will inevitably go down.  So really I think the sissification talk is silly and oversimplifies the importance of balancing all the concerns of each party involved.  If the players union is decides the abandonment of the kickoff is worth the loss of opportunity for UDFAs and the owners aren't worried about losing viewers then its going to happen, and longterm , it beats no football.The players are not just going to sign some papers without something in return, especially since most make the minimum and last 2.5yrs. or less.  Perhaps fans should yell more about proper pensions and post retirement healthcare so then players can more reasonably take on the risk.  Nonetheless I get the concerns, but its not turning into flag football,  It'll die before then.

#15 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,665 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

My point is that even with the knowledge that is out there, even if someone looks at a person and says " you can get all these issues later in life"....people still will step up and play, voluntarily. If someone asked me right now to suit up and play football for even 200k, i would without hesitation as would thousands of other people.

Nobody is denying that there arent consequences, but arent there consequences for many other things in life? I mean you see commercials that show people disfigured from the cancer smoking can cause, yet without remorse people pick up those cigs and smoke away....right?

Yes im sure you or anyone can pull that apart and say that analogy doesnt work, but to me it does. Its two actions that could have severe consequences later in life, yet if a person chooses to do so, then so be it. Football is and always will be violent unless the NFL gets stupid and tries to change it too much. If people want to play, i say let them play.

What i dont understand is who ever sat down and watched football, years back lets say and said "oh my...they hit too hard"...nobody on this planet, people glorified the hits. Just because all this research is out it should change that? Why? Why should it change? Obviously players arent stopping or caring, then why should I? Not to mention the money they make is absolutely, out of this world absurd, where i work my tail to the bone day in and day out for not even a freaking peanut of what these players make while playing a freaking game. If someone is willing to take the risks on health issues down the road but dont care and want to play, then i sure as hell will watch them play.

That is the overall gist. If people are willing to play, i say go for it and bring it on...that is football, and i think those that are so worried about this or that need to go watch another sport.

Edited by Savatage79, 07 December 2012 - 02:43 AM.

#16 rraayy3

rraayy3

Hall of Famer

• Banned
  • 9,393 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 02:59 AM

and no more Super Bowl, it totally ruins the self esteem of bad teams. Everyone gets a trophy every week! Yay we're all winners!

#17 Sidewayss 8

Sidewayss 8

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:09 AM

10-15 years from now people will look back at football and wonder how people played such a barbaric game. That's just the way it is trending. I see football looking completely different in that time span.
QB: Tomy Brady
RB: Ray Rice, Stevan Ridley, MJD, Knowshon Moreno, Montee Ball
WR: Vincent Jackson, DeSean Jackson, Riley Cooper, Percy Harvin, Rod Streater, Michael Floyd
TE: Delanie Walker
DEF: New England
K: Mason Crosby

#18 Holben

Holben

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,906 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

Honestly, I don't get why so many people have their panties in a bunch.  I personally think this idea sounded pretty cool when I read it.

Most of the time, kickoffs are just that five minute break when you go get a beverage anyways.  Their pointless.  With the 4th and 15 thing, at least our playmakers could be out on the field and it could lead to some pretty neat trick plays.
Demaryius Targaryen's Army - 12 Team .5 PPR Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Andrew Luck
RB-Matt Forte, Danny Woodhead, Darren Sproles, Steven Jackson, Andre Brown, Shane Vareen, Michael Bush, Chris Ivory
WR-Demaryius Thomas, Roddy White, Keenan Allen, Reggie Wayne (IR)
TE-Greg Olsen
D-Cardinals (Stream)
K-Mason Crosby

Hernandez's Killer Offseason - 12 Team Standard Auction (QB, 2RB, 2WR, TE, Flex:RB/WR/TE, D, K)
QB-Cam Newton, Nick Foles
RB-LeSean McCoy, Darren Sproles, DeAngelo Williams, Le'Veon Bell, Chris Ivory, Shonn Greene, Rashad Jennings
WR-DeSean Jackson, Antonio Brown, Marvin Jones
TE-Martellus Bennett
D-Giants
K-Nick Novak

#19 crafty beaver

crafty beaver

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

View Postbaltimore_boy, on 06 December 2012 - 04:18 PM, said:

I like it, kickoffs have become a joke anyway.  It's either a touchback or a block in the back.  Can't really compare kick-offs to punts.  If they are punting like a normal punt formation which I'm assuming is the case, the formation is compeltely different than a kick off.  Defenders as well as blockers will not have a running start which is what causes most injuries on kick offs.

#20 Sean-O

Sean-O

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,580 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 08:52 AM

View PostSportslife, on 07 December 2012 - 12:04 AM, said:

Does Goodell really care about player safety or does he not want the players to sue them later on in life?

Can the answer be both?

It seems like kickoffs are just another reason for the NFL to go to another set of commercials anyway.
CBS H2H - 12 Team League (*1 game eligibility)

C (1) - Montero
1B (1) - Encarnacion
2B (1) - D. Gordon
SS (1) - Hardy
3B (1) - Beltre
OF (3) - Gomez, Pence, Brantley
U (2) - Me. Cabrera, Duda, Ackley

P (7 total - combined)
SP - Scherzer, Lester, Liriano, Cole, Ryu, Kuroda, Colon, Buehrle, Masterson, Elias, M. Gonzalez, McHugh, C. Anderson, Hendricks, Cahill
RP - Kimbrel

Scoring (batting = 1 pt single, 2 pts double, 3 pts triple, 4 pts homer, 1 pt BB, 1 pt run, 1 pt HBP, 1 pt RBI, 2 pts SB)
Scoring (pitching = 10 pts win, 10 pts save, 1 pt K, 2 pts IP, 5 pts CG, -.5 BB, -.5 hits allowed, -1 ER, -5 BS, -.5 HB)