Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Danny Espinosa 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
86 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 December 2012 - 08:37 PM

What are your thoughts on Danny Espinosa in 2013?

He Ks a ton, and won't hit more than .250, but the power and speed combo is valuable for the middle infield position.

He should qualify for both 2B and SS this year. The only thing I'm worried about is losing some ABs to Lombardozzi.

Also, there have been some trade rumors surrounding him as well.

Fair to project a season similar to the last 2? Improvement? Regression?

#2 Posting In The Clutch

Posting In The Clutch

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,715 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

I like the fact that he'll have dual eligibility next year. That bumps his value up significantly. Not the most exciting option out there, but essentially a 20/20 middle infielder.

"...and woe betide fateful curiosity should it ever succeed in peering through a crack in the chamber of consciousness, out and down into the depths, and thus gain an intimation of the fact that humanity, in the indifference of its ignorance, rests on the pitiless, the greedy, the insatiable, the murderous."

-Nietzsche

#3 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,752 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:19 PM

i find he really only works on a roster that is already strong offensively. if you only want him to help you pile onto power categories and solidify a core offense, making you the bully in the league, then sure... but if your team is counting on him, he'll piss you off.

Edited by LyondellBasell, 08 December 2012 - 01:20 PM.

14 Team PPR. One Keeper. All TDs worth six.

QB/ Wilson
RB/ Jamaal
WR/ Edelman
FX/ Wright
FX/ Bradshaw
FX/ McKinnon
TE/ Kelce
DST/ Titans
K/ Parkey
Bn/ Hill, Hunter, Shorts, P Thomas, LaFell

Championships: 4 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#4 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 09:34 PM

From what I've read, Davey Johnson and the GM are big fans for Espinosa for his power, patience, and defense. The avg won't be nice due to contact and K issues, but if he can be a 20/20 MI, I'll take the .240-.250 avg.

#5 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,093 posts

Posted 04 January 2013 - 10:19 PM

One of the issues is that Ive heard some conflicting reports this offseason. In one, I read where he might platoon and the issue is that from the left side is where he hit for a really low average and K'ed so much, the problem for fantasy owners is that from the left side is where he hit 14 of his 17HR and the year before it was like 15 of his 20. Issue is its also the side he K's 1/3 to 1/4 of the time.

If they eliminate that side from his game will he hit for any power?
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#6 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

So, Danny had a torn rotator cuff injury last year.....From what I hear, no surgery was done....

Should that hurt his power for the 2013 season?

#7 ballfan4141

ballfan4141

On the Ballot

• Banned
  • 4,710 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:24 PM

another guy I gave up on.

#8 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:51 PM

another guy I gave up on.

I'm not quite there yet!

#9 RNiner

RNiner

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 03:55 PM

Different issues, but he reminds me alot of Drew Stubbs. Alot more valuable in fantasy then in r/l it seems. If he's not going to be a full-time player, he's practically useless. But if he can be a 20/20 MI, he could be invaluable. So I'll be watching ST very carefully, as SS/2B elig 20/20 don't exactly grow on trees...
20 Team Roto Keeper League, 5x5 (OBP replaces AVG)
9 Keepers*

C Mauer*
1B Goldschmidt*
2B Utley*
3B
SS
OF Trout*, Cargo*, Billy Hamilton*
Util
Bench

SP
RP Kimbrel*, Jansen*, Robertson*
Prospects - Dylan Bundy, Carlos Martinez

#10 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Different issues, but he reminds me alot of Drew Stubbs. Alot more valuable in fantasy then in r/l it seems. If he's not going to be a full-time player, he's practically useless. But if he can be a 20/20 MI, he could be invaluable. So I'll be watching ST very carefully, as SS/2B elig 20/20 don't exactly grow on trees...

In one of my dynasty leagues I have him as a MI.

However, I am joining another new dynasty league in 2013, but, the draft is early March :wacko:

#11 BigPapi44

BigPapi44

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,587 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:04 PM

Wondering if it's his throwing arm or not. Rotator cuff is more of an injury with above shoulder level activities, obviously like throwing. If it's front (batting) shoulder which is raised, I would be even more concerned. Personally, I would avoid him.

#12 jb_power

jb_power

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,241 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 05:54 PM

Wondering if it's his throwing arm or not. Rotator cuff is more of an injury with above shoulder level activities, obviously like throwing. If it's front (batting) shoulder which is raised, I would be even more concerned. Personally, I would avoid him.

Left shoulder, from the RW news page:

MLB.com's William Ladson reports that Danny Espinosa has a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder.
The injury was originally described as a bone bruise in September, but more extensive damage was found in the offseason. According to Ladson, Espinosa won't miss any time and plans to be medically cleared for the start of spring training.

#13 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:30 AM

Ugh, injury and playing time issues, I don't think he's really draftable anymore except as a late stash

#14 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:25 AM

Ugh, injury and playing time issues, I don't think he's really draftable anymore except as a late stash

I sadly have to agree.

#15 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,972 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:56 PM

Who is his playing time issues with? I know Desmond at SS but who would his competition be at 2b? Lomardozzi?
No Days Off

#16 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:59 PM

Who is his playing time issues with? I know Desmond at SS but who would his competition be at 2b? Lomardozzi?

That is what I am hearing.

#17 RotoRaysfan

RotoRaysfan

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,900 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:11 PM

Long-term - Anthony Rendon. Espinosa's job should've safe for the 1st half - Rendon has to show he can be healthy, his bat is ready, and the Nats will have to move him off his 3B position. I don't think it's likely to happen until July-Aug at the earliest - and those 3 pins have to fall, too. Rendon probably is their long term 3B (Zimm moving to 1B if his arm keeps acting up, so 2014-15 makes sense after Laroche's contract is up). But, if Nats aren't happy with Espinosa by the ASB and they want to inject more O to their lineup - then that's the plan B Espinosa owners should worry about. Lombardozzi is a great Izturis-type guy to have, but his ceiling is capped. The easy way to confirm if this is what the Nats are thinking - see where Rendon plays in AA/AAA this season.

Because it was his non-throwing shoulder, it's a little puzzling they didn't bite the bullet and go under the knife. It's not the load joint for a lefty but crucial for a righty (and he switch-hits) - if you're going to fix it, the recovery time would have allowed a near-complete bill of health for Opening Day. Hopefully it wasn't that serious...

Football PPR 2014 - Cutler, L. Bell, R. Jennings, Dez, Marshall, V-Jax, Justin Hunter, Quick, Rudolph, HOU DST. D-Thomas fan club member.
Dynasty 2014 - Romo, E. Lacy, Gore, T. Gerhart, C-Michael, J. McKinnon, D-Train, K. Allen, R. White, M. Evans, D. Adams, B. Quick, J. Graham, L. Green, HOU DST.

Been a blast everyone - take care, and remember to abide by the CoC, and to help your fellow community out - it's what's made the Forum community great!

P.S. My passion is primarily FBB - you'd LOL at my football track record!

#18 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:19 PM

My worry is about how much power he will be able to generate?

Didn't his power tail off after his injury?

#19 umphrey

umphrey

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 819 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 01:33 PM

Well, maybe I'll find a way to roster Espinosa and Rendon. Lombardozzi is probably going to get in the way, but at least it's a high upside combo.

Here's a fangraphs quip on Rendon

Now, yes, the 22-year-old has seen some very limited action at second base and shortstop, but before every fantasy owner starts getting eligibility arousal, realize that was more of a spring training experiment than anything else. Would Rendon be capable of handling second base as a starter? Probably. But then the other big issue surrounding him comes into play: his propensity to get injured. Not only would he have to stay on the field enough in the minors to get the necessary reps to transform into a legitimate keystone option, but Rendon would also be moving to a position that is, by its very nature, a bigger injury risk. Bottom line: Something is likely to happen that fixes this “problem” so that Rendon can be a big league starter before he turns 25 — we just don’t know what that is yet.

http://www.fangraphs...rendon-and-olt/

Edited by umphrey, 27 January 2013 - 01:36 PM.

#20 sayhey58

sayhey58

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 258 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:00 PM

Well, I went ahead and dropped Espinosa because I think I can pick him up for less than the 10 bucks he was costing me ;)