Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

2013 General Draft Strategies

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
733 replies to this topic

#1 NyMetsfan5

NyMetsfan5

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,135 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 05:35 AM

Ive been thinking for a while and i think ive come up with a helpful strategy so ill share it and see what you guys think

1.Next year i am going to wait for a quarterback until the 5th or 6th round. IN my opinion as long as these quarterbacks are in a pass heavy offense they will produce. Palmer isnt the best Qb but he gets tons of volume and has certainly put up qb1 numbers. Why draft Rodgers in the first when you can draft a guy that can give you 22 points a week just off the pure volume he gets.

2. No matter what i will go with a running back in the first round. Running backs are certainly at a premium and the depth at the rb position is so absurd due to the commitees/coaching situations and what not. Also in regards to rb, you have to come into the first week with atleast 4 rbs on your bench anything less and in my opinion your screwed. Only 4-5 rbs can be trusted for week in and week out production and thats a shame

3. I am also very high on tight ends as well. I feel that if i have Gronk or graham i have a significant advantage at the tight end position and thats why i will be taking either Gronk or Graham in the second round if possible. Any time you have a significant advantage in one position, its a big plus during the week. Basically every week you are outscoring the opponents tight end by 5-7 points at least and that may be the difference in a week

4. Finally i will be waiting on the wide recievers in the draft. Sure its great to have a Green, Marshall or Mega tron on your team but wide recievers have gotten so deep in the past couple years that i will forego the early round wr and go with another rb1 caliber player

If you have a solid rb core you are in much better shape than everyone else and if you can get 2 solid wrs and a boom or bust wr3 i think you will be better off in the long run.

Thoughts?

Edited by NyMetsfan5, 08 December 2012 - 05:36 AM.

[size=5]Die hard Ny Giants fan and Ny Knicks fan [/size]

"What do we need anybody for? We have Victor Cruz.”
-Coach Tom Coughlin

NFL Favorite Players; Victor Cruz and Cj Spiller
NBA favorite players: Carmelo Anthony(of course) and Damian Lillard (better than Kyrie when its all said and done), Giannis Antetokounmpo aka the Greek Freak

President of Matt Harvey Fan club(get well soon) and now an official MANBEARPUIG member Tee shirts coming soon

#RealDealWheeler

#2 Jmadtown

Jmadtown

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,772 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:07 AM

I like your thinking on the QB's. I don't think one should pass on Rodgers, Brees or Brady if they're available though. Two of the top 3 teams in my league took their QB in the 5th round or later. Peyton being one of them, but that won't happen next year. I see him being a first or second round choice. The other is myself, owning Cam.

I disagree with the WR's though, to a degree. Yes, WR's are highly available, its the week in and week out ones who produce that are hard to find. Shining example: Torrey Smith. All the talent in the world, but just isn't a solid fantasy play week in and week out. Which is why guys like Megatron, Green, Marshall and now D. Thomas need to get looked at seriously early in the drafts.

Disagree on the TE's as well. That position is such a crap shoot. There's only a few solid picks at that position, and one will have to spend a first or second round pick to get them, all the while you're scooping up that RB that they passed up. I've been riding Rudolph all year. I got lucky in getting him, but he hasn't been solid all year either.

Some good things to think about, and you're dead on with the RB's. I'd take an RB over any other position, if given the opportunity...

P.S. If Virgil ever gets his QB/RB/WR/K/DE availability, then he's a no brainer. I just wish I could draft him in every round.

Edited by Jmadtown, 08 December 2012 - 08:08 AM.

Yahoo 12 Team Football- .5 PPR

Matt Ryan

DeMarco Murray

CJ Anderson

Demaryius Thomas

Keenan Allen

Kelce

Flex: Latavius Murray

Bench: Jordan Cameron, Lamar Miller, Tannehill, Terrence Williams 

2012 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5
2013 Fantasy Basketball Champion 10 Team-H2H-9-Cat
2013 Fantasy Baseball Champion-10 Team-H2H-5x5

2104 Fantasy Baseball Champion-14 Team-H2H-6x6

#3 tucker26

tucker26

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,922 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 08:39 AM

Why would you ever have a set plan on going into a draft? It always depends on value of the specific draft.

It's okay to have a general plan going but those usually get tossed to the side.

Know all the players, your targets and get value as much as you can. And don't ever pigeon hole yourself into a predetermined plan where and when you will pick a specific position.
And all the greatest of the heroes
Started jumping from the books
They started wearing ones and zeros
Looking more and more like crooks
They stole the sunlight from the future
Took a sip, drank half the glass then put it back

#4 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:21 AM

Disagree completely on this strat.

The best strategy is to have numerous strats available for any scenario;

ie. If the first round is all qbs, or all rbs, or all XX etc...

I mean, if 5 RB's went 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, would you go Rodgers or pick up a RB because 5 RBs are off the bat and RBs suck for depth? This already disproves your strat.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#5 SuperSurgeMC

SuperSurgeMC

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:24 AM

Why would you ever have a set plan on going into a draft? It always depends on value of the specific draft.

It's okay to have a general plan going but those usually get tossed to the side.

Know all the players, your targets and get value as much as you can. And don't ever pigeon hole yourself into a predetermined plan where and when you will pick a specific position.

This is the truth. I wanted to get an awesome tight end early on the draft, but the way other players fell/were selected, I ended up not getting one till later in the draft. I got Tony Gonzalez.

All I'm saying is you gotta take who you believe is the best player on the board at your pick, no matter the position. I picked RB the first 4 rounds of the draft and finished 2nd in the 16 team league with a first round bye. (all 4 were traded at some point :))

#6 Savatage79

Savatage79

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,168 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:38 AM

Yeah just a quick note of qb, in the playoffs I have brees, my other buddy's have Brady whom I'm against, and Rodgers in the playoffs as well. I think owning one of them is key if available, if not then yeah a qb later is doable.

But honestly, I still believe there is a drop off and by that I mean other guys will have big games here and there which will give them similar yearly totals at qb, but they aren't steady weekly 25+ you can count on. That's why I love some of the top names because they rarely put up duds.

#7 tbonuss

tbonuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:39 AM

Its not only who the most valuable on the board is, you have to look at depth at that position. It is very helpful to graph median projections and look at where the cusps are. For example: where does this position "fall off a cliff"--TE's and WR's do this very early.
Chud Bucket Free Agents
10 Team 1.0 PPR

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB1: Jamaal Charles
RB2: Frank Gore
RB/WR/TE: Knowshon Moreno
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron
D/ST: Who are the "Chefs"
K: Justin Tucker

Bench:
DEF: CIN
RB: Andre Brown / Le'Veon Bell / Montee Ball / Joique Bell
WR: Keenan Allen / Harry Douglas

#8 prizl

prizl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:41 AM

I went wih a strong RB core of Foster and Mathews and weaker WR's and that bit me in the @$$. Mathews was terrible, my WR are Dez (just started showing life), Bowe (KC ineptness) and Britt (grrrrr). I ended up replacing Britt with Hilton but I was on a terrible losing streak and very inconsistent. Having a set strategy doesn't necessarily work and you may be in the situation I was in.

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:46 AM

Just take Virgil Green and Greg Zuerlein and ride them to an undefeated season.
Bring back Ray!

#10 notfast

notfast

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:09 AM

Best player available is my strategy until I "fill" a position.

I'll go WR WR WR if its a 3WR league and the top "players" left when I draft are WR.

#11 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,661 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:41 AM

I went wih a strong RB core of Foster and Mathews and weaker WR's and that bit me in the @$$. Mathews was terrible, my WR are Dez (just started showing life), Bowe (KC ineptness) and Britt (grrrrr). I ended up replacing Britt with Hilton but I was on a terrible losing streak and very inconsistent. Having a set strategy doesn't necessarily work and you may be in the situation I was in.

that's your own fault for drafting Matthews; I have zero idea why people did knowing the situation he was in

Foster and any of the other RBs around him would have worked

Dez Bowe and Britt I would not, and did not, touch.
20 team, 4 keepers, standard score league:
QB-Ben Roethlisberger
WR-Dez Bryant
WR-Julio Jones
WR-Desean Jackson
RB-Chris Johnson
RB- Ryan Mathews
TE-Charles Clay
W/R- Allen Hurns BN- Knile Davis BN-BenJarvus Green-Ellis BN-John Brown BN- Jake Locker
K-Dan Bailey, Greg The Leg
Def- Denver, New York Giants

#12 novaeagles21

novaeagles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:43 AM

Problem I see with waiting on a QB next year is of right now, there are no RGIII''s, Lucks and no QB coming off an injury e.g. Manning. Guys like Matt Ryan will also go a little higher. If you wait til the 5th-6th round, I imagine you'll be looking at Cutler, Palmer, Bradford, Tannehill's of the world

Edited by novaeagles21, 08 December 2012 - 10:43 AM.

12 Team H2H (AVG, OPS, R, HR, RBI, NSB, RC - IP, K, W, QS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV)

C:   Salvador Perez
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Mike Moustakas
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF:   Mike Trout
OF:   Justin Upton
OF:   Yoenis Cespedes
UTIL: Carlos Gomez
Bench : Ryan Howard, Martin Prado, Oscar Taveras

P:   Felix Hernandez, Matt Moore, Jon Lester, Jeff Samardzija, Alex Cobb, Julio Teheran, David Phelps, Andrew Cashner
RP:   Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, Bobby Parnell, Heath Bell, David Hernandez
DL:   Michael Pineda, Cory Luebke

#13 Onion

Onion

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:44 AM

I think the strategy is good if you draft in an early position to get a stud rb. That was kinda my plan going into this year. I had the 3rd pick and went McCoy. Came back to me in the second and I wanted a top TE (I totally buy into the point differential strategy) I took Gronk. Graham was gone already. While most other TE's are scoring 6 pts, Gronk was putting up 18+. Thats a huge advantage. I took Marshall and Nicks with my next picks. Then I filled my roster with high upside/reach starter guys because I already had my "stud" in McCoy and really just needed to hit on one of these other guys. Ridley I nabbed in a middle round. I grabbed K. Smith/Leshoure super late and Alfred Morris was my last pick. Not that these guys are flashy and they rarely blow up, but they are solid and I think I did well on all of them.

I was targeting Matt Ryan at QB and got him in the 6th or 7th round. I am more than happy with what he has produced at that spot.

If I was at the back of the draft, however, there is no way I would pass on Brees, Brady, Rodgers if I was looking at a bunch of time share, lower ceiling RB's. You need to make picks that can make up for that RB that you are missing out on at the top of the draft. There were only 2 "steals" at the RB position in my draft, really. AP and Doug Martin. Both were picked far later than their current value. There were a ton of duds, however. Its a mine field at RB and I would rather make a safer pick and grab a handful of maybes at that position, work the wire during the season and laugh at the guys trying to get a stinker to drag him into the playoffs.

I will let everyone else pick Gore and Sjax late 1st early 2nd. I will grab Brady or Brees and Gronk or AJ Green. Just my $0.02. There is more than one way to a championship - Its played out several different ways for me. I like to have a plan going in with a handful of guys I will pick before their ADP and let what falls to me after the first few picks dictate how it goes.

#14 prizl

prizl

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:54 AM

that's your own fault for drafting Matthews; I have zero idea why people did knowing the situation he was in

What situation with Mathews? I knew he was injured I am not complaining about that, its the issue with him not producing at all like he did last year. Those WR were to be just complements for a good RB core and since Mathews stunk it threw off the balance of the team.Foster and any of the other RBs around him would have worked

Dez Bowe and Britt I would not, and did not, touch.

#15 Onion

Onion

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:58 AM

Problem I see with waiting on a QB next year is of right now, there are no RGIII''s, Lucks and no QB coming off an injury e.g. Manning. Guys like Matt Ryan will also go a little higher. If you wait til the 5th-6th round, I imagine you'll be looking at Cutler, Palmer, Bradford, Tannehill's of the world

Right, but Eli will fall later. Cam will fall from this years position. You have Dalton that could be a steal. There are about 10 qb's I would roll with and feel pretty good. If I had to grab Dalton in the 7th or 8th round I would follow it up with a Cutler, Locker, or etc. Honestly I think Locker is gonna be a late round gem next year. We will see how this new OC works out at the tail end of this year, but I will likely be making sure he is on my teams.

Plus if you wait on QB - you basically have an extra 3rd or 4th round rb/wr over they guy who takes Stafford/Luck/Ryan/Romo too early.

#16 novaeagles21

novaeagles21

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:07 AM

Right, but Eli will fall later. Cam will fall from this years position. You have Dalton that could be a steal. There are about 10 qb's I would roll with and feel pretty good. If I had to grab Dalton in the 7th or 8th round I would follow it up with a Cutler, Locker, or etc. Honestly I think Locker is gonna be a late round gem next year. We will see how this new OC works out at the tail end of this year, but I will likely be making sure he is on my teams.

Plus if you wait on QB - you basically have an extra 3rd or 4th round rb/wr over they guy who takes Stafford/Luck/Ryan/Romo too early.

Trust me, I see where you're coming from, I didn't grab a QB til 6th round (Ice man). I think Cam will be late 2nd, early 3rd, and I don't know if Eli will fall that far either. Red Rifle could be a value pick certainly.
12 Team H2H (AVG, OPS, R, HR, RBI, NSB, RC - IP, K, W, QS, ERA, WHIP, K/9, SV)

C:   Salvador Perez
1B: Anthony Rizzo
2B: Chase Utley
3B: Mike Moustakas
SS: Elvis Andrus
OF:   Mike Trout
OF:   Justin Upton
OF:   Yoenis Cespedes
UTIL: Carlos Gomez
Bench : Ryan Howard, Martin Prado, Oscar Taveras

P:   Felix Hernandez, Matt Moore, Jon Lester, Jeff Samardzija, Alex Cobb, Julio Teheran, David Phelps, Andrew Cashner
RP:   Greg Holland, Ernesto Frieri, Bobby Parnell, Heath Bell, David Hernandez
DL:   Michael Pineda, Cory Luebke

#17 NYR Fan 116894

NYR Fan 116894

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,158 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:18 AM

Draft Virgil Green and Greg Zuerlein. :lol:
Adam Brown (Fearless)=Hero. May you never be forgotten.

#18 tbonuss

tbonuss

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 657 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:20 AM

Draft Virgil Green and Greg Zuerlein. :lol:

Isn't drafting both kind of unsportsmanlike. I guess it avoids the inevitable 1st place tie though.
Chud Bucket Free Agents
10 Team 1.0 PPR

QB: Phillip Rivers
RB1: Jamaal Charles
RB2: Frank Gore
RB/WR/TE: Knowshon Moreno
WR1: Antonio Brown
WR2: Josh Gordon
TE: Jordan Cameron
D/ST: Who are the "Chefs"
K: Justin Tucker

Bench:
DEF: CIN
RB: Andre Brown / Le'Veon Bell / Montee Ball / Joique Bell
WR: Keenan Allen / Harry Douglas

#19 Ryan81

Ryan81

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,102 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:07 PM

This. I always take the best value that I think I can get in the draft up until round 5-6 and then I draft based on needs. I just make a note of which players I want to draft and pull them over to my queue and draft which player I would prefer the most. That rule only goes for WR/RB/Graham/Gronk though. I wait on QBs and will probably try to snag Jason Witten or someone like that next year as my TE.

I believe in doing a few mock drafts as my pre draft strategy so I can get a feel for which players slide past their ADP and which players are taken early and often. Every draft is different so having a plan to take "RB, RB, RB, WR, WR, RB, QB" is silly in my opinion.

$50 12 Team PPR, 11-2(2-0 playoffs, Champion)

QB: Philip Rivers

RB1: Arian Foster

RB2: Jeremy Hill

WR1: Megatron

WR2: Jordy Nelson

W/R/T: Jeremy Maclin

TE: Rob Gronkowski

Bench: Martavis Bryant, Shane Vereen, Isaiah Crowell, Josh Gordon, Kyle Orton 

#20 Just Do It

Just Do It

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 01:14 PM

Half skill, half luck. No strategy is a good strategy and no strategy is a bad strategy.