97 replies to this topic

#1 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 09:52 AM

Jones finally put all of his promise together last year with a career year. Can he follow it up this year and show last year wasn't a fluke?
Bring back Ray!

#2 LyondellBasell

LyondellBasell

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,314 posts
  • Interests:Mets - Knicks

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:07 AM

he's alright. i won't be targeting him. if he falls, sure.
12 Team H2H Categories. Play two teams per week. Three keepers.
Avg, OPS, HR, RBI, R, SB * W, K, ERA, WHIP, Sv

C/ Santana
IB/ Pujols
3B/ Plouffe
CI/ Craig
2B/ Lowrie
SS/ Simmons
MI/ Wong
4 OF/ Rios, Bautista, Cespedes, Leonys
Utl/ Heyward
SP/ Felix, Teheran, Sale,
Archer, Latos
RP/ Ross, Richards
, Martinez, Stroman
BN/ Cron
DL/ Everth, Encarnacion

Championships: 3 Baseball, 1 Football, 1 Basketball

#3 Suikoden

Suikoden

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,644 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 10:36 AM

23/75/275 14sb

I don't know..I just find him grossly over-rated despite him improving over the last 3 years...I'm not buying in. Falls, sure, but no otherwise.
20 team keeper H2H (took over the team), standard Yahoo.  Keepers below.  NA's get put into NA slots (5 max)
C:  d'Arnaud 1B: Lind 2B: Miller SS: Forsythe 3B: Manny Machado OF: Stanton OF: Springer OF: Harper
Util: Salty Bench: Willingham, Suarez, Pena DL: Owings, Myers NA: Solarte Baez (NA)
SP: Strasburg SP: Price RP: Motte RP: Broxton P: Stroman, Storen, Tazawa, Petricka, Santiago, Kendrick DL:Pineda NA:Meyer
Trades: 1) Taijuan Walker and 5th rounder for Ryu and 4th rounder 2) Heyward, Hosmer, Bailey for Ellsbury 3) Abreu for Harper and Lind 6) Soria, Shelby Miller and round 6 pick for Strasburg and 7th rounder 7)  Ellsbury and 3rd rounder for Springer and 1st rounder 8) Francisco, Allen, 7th rounder for 5th rounder 9) Rosenthal and Ryu for Price

Money league Roto
C- Carlos Sant 1B) Abreu 2b) Altuve 3b) E5 SS) Rollins OF- McCutch, Jones, Harper Util- Gardner, Cron Bench: NA: Bryant SPs:  Strasburg, Verlander, Ventura, Hudson, Samardzija, Duffy, Cain, Lester, Walker, Stroman RPs:  Reed Doolittle Papelbon Trades: 1) Joey Bats and Panda for E5 and Werth 2) Morse for RA Dickey 3) Soria for Garza 4) Braun and Mesoraco for McCutch and McCann 5) Werth for Homer Bailey and Gardner 6) Cain for Kemp 7) Hill for Samardzija 8)  Melky, Hosmer, Sale for Strasberg and JUp 9) Garza and Miller for Verlander 10) Balfour for LaRoche 11) Bourn for Soriano 12) Kemp for Lester and Cain 13) JUp, LaRoche, Chisenballs for Adam Jones

#4 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM

He's getting drafted after Heyward, Harper.

Is he legit enough to be considered a "safer" pick than those two? He's had sustained improvement overall in reaching what was thought to be high potential when he was a prospect.

Can he repeat his numbers from last year - and maybe even improve the RBIs. I'd think 16 SBs is probably a ceiling, but if he can hit 30+ HRs again and possibly reach 90 RBIs that's pretty good.
SuperJoint Signature™ available only to RotoWorld Forums Gold Club™ Members

#5 mjk356

mjk356

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,252 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 07:37 PM

No way I'm drafting him or bidding on him in an auction with his elevated draft position.  His plate discipline scares me.  The guy is the definition of a free swinger.  I don't mind taking chances on guys with horrid plate discipline in later rounds, but try to take hitters with better strike zone recognition early.  Players with horrible plate discipline tend to randomly have awful seasons, and Jones is in that category.  He might repeat or exceed last season, but I'm letting someone else take a chance on that.

Edited by mjk356, 19 February 2013 - 07:38 PM.

#6 myzto

myzto

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:16 AM

View PostSuperJoint, on 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

Is he legit enough to be considered a "safer" pick than those two? He's had sustained improvement overall in reaching what was thought to be high potential when he was a prospect.

Can he repeat his numbers from last year - and maybe even improve the RBIs. I'd think 16 SBs is probably a ceiling, but if he can hit 30+ HRs again and possibly reach 90 RBIs that's pretty good.

If you can get him after Heyward / Harper, you drafted really  well value wise. Adam is legit.  I think 25-30 homers with 15-20 SB is a fair projection.  Orioles line up should continue to score runs so his RBI's and R's should be fine too.  I imagine you would have to be pleased with yourself if you landed him.  Although the warning I should give you is this is coming from a guy who has an autographed baseball from him from his time with the Mariners, and I did trade him last year admist his hot streak.

Edited by myzto, 20 February 2013 - 11:17 AM.

#7 Travis Burten

Travis Burten

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:25 AM

I think the steals will be closer to 10 than 20....maybe even single digits

#8 yoda

yoda

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,985 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 11:32 AM

Started off fast and still wound up with good numbers but his value is very inflated.  I'd take a pass on him this year.
www. drafttracker.net

#9 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:49 PM

He's a more expensive Corey Hart

#10 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,649 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:53 PM

View PostTravis Burten, on 20 February 2013 - 11:25 AM, said:

I think the steals will be closer to 10 than 20....maybe even single digits

This is my thinking too. Buck doesn't like to be too active on the basepaths.
Bring back Ray!

#11 lightning1233

lightning1233

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

I'm projecting .295 35 HRs, 15 SBs, 95 RBI, 95 Runs...Career year.

I really hope he grows more patient this year and starts walking a bit more. He only had 34 BBs last year. With more patience, I could easily see the 35 HRs with 110 Runs. Normally, if he had a different manager, I could see 20+ steals with the uptick in BBs. But I don't think it will be the case.

#12 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,868 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:41 PM

View Postlightning1233, on 20 February 2013 - 04:39 PM, said:

I'm projecting .295 35 HRs, 15 SBs, 95 RBI, 95 Runs...Career year.

I really hope he grows more patient this year and starts walking a bit more. He only had 34 BBs last year. With more patience, I could easily see the 35 HRs with 110 Runs. Normally, if he had a different manager, I could see 20+ steals with the uptick in BBs. But I don't think it will be the case.

Off the the top of my head.....I think he was way better when Markakis was in the lineup last season

#13 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:27 PM

I'm gonna be all over this guy for the 2nd straight year.

#14 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:28 PM

View PostNed Ryerson, on 20 February 2013 - 08:27 PM, said:

I'm gonna be all over this guy for the 2nd straight year.

OF1 or OF2

#15 Ned Ryerson

Ned Ryerson

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 08:29 PM

#16 cs3

cs3

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 775 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 05:47 PM

View Postmyzto, on 20 February 2013 - 11:16 AM, said:

View PostSuperJoint, on 19 February 2013 - 07:30 PM, said:

If you can get him after Heyward / Harper, you drafted really  well value wise. Adam is legit.  I think 25-30 homers with 15-20 SB is a fair projection.  Orioles line up should continue to score runs so his RBI's and R's should be fine too.  I imagine you would have to be pleased with yourself if you landed him.
Hes a safe bet for 25 HR but no way 20 SB is a fair projection. Hes never had more than 16 and he has averaged just ~12 over the past 3 seasons. And players run less as they age, not more.

Also his career high 83 RBI and last year he had only 82 even with his other career best counting stats. so dont expect him to get much more than that. And as a guy with a relatively weak OBP the 103 runs he scored last year are not sustainable. Think more like 160 -165 R+RBI and not the 180+ a lot of people are expecting out of him

#17 uspsjeter2

uspsjeter2

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 722 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:06 PM

It seems to me that Austin Jackson profiles to be Adam Jones this year. Fair comp?
"A Humble Man of Grace and Dignity. A Captain Who Led by Example. Proud of the Pinstripes Tradition and Dedicated to the Pursuit of Excellence. A Yankee Forever."  Don Mattingly's plaque in Monument Park

#18 SuperJoint

SuperJoint

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 8,261 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:19 PM

View Postuspsjeter2, on 21 February 2013 - 10:06 PM, said:

It seems to me that Austin Jackson profiles to be Adam Jones this year. Fair comp?

I don't think so, unless it's the pedestrian SBs. The next time Jackson cracks 19HRs will be the first time, while jones has had at least that many 4 years running. He doubled up Jackson in homers last year (32/16).

#19 FearTheBeard

FearTheBeard

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,289 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:34 PM

Here's an interesting point no one has mentioned, and none of us really know the answer...

Jones came out last season like a bull on fire, without question was one of baseballs top 3 to 5 hitters through April and May. As May ended he began having discomfort with his wrists. He missed some games, and it was reported he barely took any batting practice through the final 4 months of the season. All MRIs came back clean, but he wasn't close to the same hitter the rest of the season and you could see the pain he was playing through. Nothing is more important to a hitter than his wrists/hands. I remember Showalter saying Jones probably shouldn't be out there but he won't come out of the lineup.

Jones didn't get any wrist surgery this offseason from what I've read, sounded like the nature of the pain was mostly inflammation issues mixed in with a Morrow HBP. So here are the questions. Is the real Adam Jones that guy that looked like he figure it out and everything was clicking during April and May? Was that just a hot start? Is this wrist issue something that could be chronic pain and effect him this season or just a one season deal?

I'm not a HUGE Adam Jones guy due to his free swinging ways, but man - early last year something really clicked and I wonder if that is who he will become but was just plagued by pain for the final 4 months. He isn't someone I'm highlighting to draft, but in the right spot I'd be all over him. BUT - if I hear ANYTHING regarding Jones and wrists from a negative standpoint this spring - I'm not touching him.

#20 Travdaddy10

Travdaddy10

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,286 posts

Posted 21 March 2013 - 12:12 PM

Hitting under .100 this spring. I wonder what is wrong with him?
10 team - H2H Daily
C - Yadier Molina
1B - Victor Martinez
2B - Martin Prado
SS - Eric Aybar
3B - Ryan Zimmerman
OF1 - Mike Trout
OF2 - Alex Rios
OF3 - Mike Morse
DH - Adam LaRoche
Bench - Votto, Plouffe, Gardner, Wong
SP1 - Stephen Strasburg
SP2 - Julio Teheran
SP3 - Corey Kluber
SP4 - Tyson Ross
SP5 - Henderson Alvarez
SP6 - Colon
P1 - Soria
RP1 - Krod RP2 - Doolittle
Bench - Volquez, Danks, Koehler, Miley, Stroman, Beckett, Collmenter, Happ, Tomlin, McHugh, Saunders, Butler, Workman, Rubby DLR, Chamberlain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users