Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

Photo
- - - - -

Mike Olt 2013 Outlook

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 04:12 PM

With Michael Young accepting the trade to Philly, does this open up playing time for Mike Olt? Possibly at 1b/dh/LF? I really don't think he has anything left to prove in the minors. He's MLB ready and the right-handed power bat would be good for the lineup.

#2 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 07:20 PM

With Michael Young accepting the trade to Philly, does this open up playing time for Mike Olt? Possibly at 1b/dh/LF? I really don't think he has anything left to prove in the minors. He's MLB ready and the right-handed power bat would be good for the lineup.

I hope it opens up some playing time, but you never know with Texas. I think he should see a huge increase in playing time, but they still have Moreland too
No Days Off

#3 catdaddy

catdaddy

Just Drafted

• Probationary Member
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 December 2012 - 11:52 PM

Olt is even money to get traded, especially now that Greinke is off the board, either for Upton, Dickey, or Shields. If...a big IF...he doesn't get traded, then he is going to pick up ABs at 1B/3B/corner OF. He IS a perfect platoon partner for Moreland at 1B...

#4 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,323 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:08 PM

Olt is even money to get traded, especially now that Greinke is off the board, either for Upton, Dickey, or Shields. If...a big IF...he doesn't get traded, then he is going to pick up ABs at 1B/3B/corner OF. He IS a perfect platoon partner for Moreland at 1B...

I could see that happening. It seems like the Rangers wouldn't mind pulling in some starting pitching and are dangling Olt. Should be interesting to see what develops with their younger guys.

#5 TheJRod2006

TheJRod2006

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,511 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 11:26 PM

My guess....Mike Olt is on the Mets in February
Do you really care who is on my team? I have Mike Trout and Arian Foster in keeper leagues in their respective sports.

Twitter: @MrJaredMoore

#6 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 01:20 AM

My guess....Mike Olt is on the Mets in February

Is he a capable everyday outfielder? With Myer's off the table you would think that Olt is the Met's best option.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#7 Big Tuna

Big Tuna

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:06 AM

Mets should grab Olt for Dickey and run....the fact that they want more is piggish.

#8 Rob_P

Rob_P

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,603 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 08:19 PM

So if he stays with the Rangers, is he expected to get regular at bats?

#9 baltimore_boy

baltimore_boy

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,696 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

So if he stays with the Rangers, is he expected to get regular at bats?

As of right now, he looks to be the DH. It should be:

C - Pierzynski
1B - Kinsler
2B - Profar
SS - Andrus
3B - Beltre
LF - Murphy
RF - Cruz
CF - Martin
DH - Olt

He could get competition for DH at bats from Moreland if Mitch has a good spring.
Bring back Ray!

#10 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 30 December 2012 - 09:06 PM

IF Profar does make the club, I'll be very curious to see what they do with Kinsler. Will it be LF or 1B? What's the buzz in Texas right now?

My guess is that Olt and Moreland will be fighting for ABs, with the hotter hand obviously sticking in the lineup for longer spells.

#11 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 05 January 2013 - 06:58 PM

So the Rangers signed Lance Berkman to be the everyday DH. This definitely puts a dent into the ABs that Olt was hopefully gonna get.

However, Rangers are making a push for Justin Upton with packages centered around Olt. Olt in AZ would be huge in my opinion. Big hitters park, and play 3b - value+++

#12 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 08:03 AM

So the Rangers signed Lance Berkman to be the everyday DH. This definitely puts a dent into the ABs that Olt was hopefully gonna get.

However, Rangers are making a push for Justin Upton with packages centered around Olt. Olt in AZ would be huge in my opinion. Big hitters park, and play 3b - value+++

Olt now has very littl fantasy value this year with the rangers, but if he does get traded Arozona would be a great spot for him. I'm a little confused why Texas has been trying to trade this guy so much though, maybe he isn't as good as the prospect rankings make him out to be?
No Days Off

#13 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:39 AM

Olt now has very littl fantasy value this year with the rangers, but if he does get traded Arozona would be a great spot for him. I'm a little confused why Texas has been trying to trade this guy so much though, maybe he isn't as good as the prospect rankings make him out to be?

Olt is their biggest trading chip since they won't move Andrus and Profar in any deal.

With Beltre locked up at 3b, they might as well cash in Olt to address another area.

#14 parrothead

parrothead

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,693 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 11:55 AM

This is one of those really frustrating situations when trying to project and rank players because Texas is a great hitters park and you want guys in that situation...however its really unlcear at this point exactly what is happening:

OF: We know Nelson Cruz is there. But then...Murphy and Martin both played pretty well towards the end of last year and are intriguing fantasy guys, but there are questions:

Will Kinsler move to the OF and if so who is odd man out? What if they acquire Upton or even Bourne as a long shot?

Jurickson Profar - will he win the 2b job?

1B? Do they trust Moreland as a full time guy or is he still a platoon guy who will cede at bats to righties versus lefties. Is this Kinsler doing 1B-CF? Is this where Mike Olt figures in?

Mike Olt? While it appears at this point that he is the odd man out there are still some RH at bats out there since to this point it seems Murphy and Moreland arent fully trusted as non-platoon guys by the organization.
Seems everybody's jogging or heavy into health s?&t, don't tell me that I otta get rolfed, cause I love Cajun martinis and playing afternoon golf-JB from we are the people are parents warned us about

#15 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 06 January 2013 - 10:15 PM

Olt is their biggest trading chip since they won't move Andrus and Profar in any deal.

With Beltre locked up at 3b, they might as well cash in Olt to address another area.

Personally I would rather give Olt a shot to play at DH or in a platoon situation at 1b/dh then sign Berkman to a ten mil deal but I'm not a GM and I'm clearly looking at it from a fantasy value perspective. I would rather try to groom a player who can impact the ball club for the next six to ten years then some old Lance Berkman who might not even impact th club for one year.
No Days Off

#16 ChrisFarley

ChrisFarley

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,084 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 01:21 AM

Personally I would rather give Olt a shot to play at DH or in a platoon situation at 1b/dh then sign Berkman to a ten mil deal but I'm not a GM and I'm clearly looking at it from a fantasy value perspective. I would rather try to groom a player who can impact the ball club for the next six to ten years then some old Lance Berkman who might not even impact th club for one year.

I really do think Olt gets shipped out of town. There is just no role for him with the team, and I think the Rangers want to and will cash him in.

#17 Skoodog

Skoodog

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,665 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:19 AM

I think they'd be crazy to trade Olt. Beltre is how old now? The Rangers' farm is stacked but the next heir apparent is years away where Olt is probably ready now. They need him more than an OF replacement for Hamilton.
Legend has it...they don't check on the weekends...

#18 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,859 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:52 AM

I think they'd be crazy to trade Olt. Beltre is how old now? The Rangers' farm is stacked but the next heir apparent is years away where Olt is probably ready now. They need him more than an OF replacement for Hamilton.

If they could do Perez and Olt for Upton I would make that deal, but I'm not to sure if the D Backs would accept that. I'm also not to high on Perez though, I don't think he is a top prospect.
No Days Off

#19 Patrick Bateman

Patrick Bateman

All-Time Great

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,889 posts

Posted 07 January 2013 - 11:43 PM

Looks like Olt and Profar will be starting in the minors unless there is an injury...

Jeff Wilson ‏@JeffWilson_FWST
Jon Daniels says Jurickson Profar and Mike Olt won't make #Rangers roster if there isn't regular playing time for them.

"Give me a break, I'm a product of divorce!"

#20 yort1919

yort1919

Veteran

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:05 PM

Does Mike Olt start the season with the big club or back down in the minors? What do you think his potential numbers will be this year?

Edited by RotoRaysfan, 26 January 2013 - 02:01 PM.
Merged

“Baseball was, is and always will be to me the best game in the world.”- Babe Ruth