Visit Rotoworld.comRotoworld Forums  
Rotoworld: MLB | NFL | NBA | NHL | NASCAR | CFB
Sports Talk Blogs: PFT | HBT | PBT | CFT | PHT
  Visit NBCSports.com

* * * * - 1 votes

Hyun-Jin Ryu 2013 OutlookDodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a six-year,

• Please log in to reply
1097 replies to this topic

#1 Homerj24

Homerj24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:32 PM

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a six-year, $36 million contract.

FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times have confirmed the deal. The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Ryu with a $25.74 million posting fee and expect him to be part of their starting rotation next season. Ryu will join a crowded pitching staff that includes Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley as starters. According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, the Dodgers payroll is now higher than the GDP of at least four countries.

#2 Ragnaroker

Ragnaroker

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,177 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:06 PM

View PostHomerj24, on 09 December 2012 - 07:32 PM, said:

Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com reports that the Dodgers have signed Korean left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to a six-year, $36 million contract.
FOX Sports' Ken Rosenthal and Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times have confirmed the deal. The Dodgers won the negotiating rights to Ryu with a $25.74 million posting fee and expect him to be part of their starting rotation next season. Ryu will join a crowded pitching staff that includes Clayton Kershaw, Zack Greinke, Josh Beckett, and Chad Billingsley as starters. According to Yahoo's Jeff Passan, the Dodgers payroll is now higher than the GDP of at least four countries.

Unrelated to Hyun-Jin but that part is insane.

#3 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 11:04 AM

How good do you think this guy will be?
-Buy high, sell low, keep em guessing.

Football 2012: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: CHAMPION!!!!!
Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#4 Homerj24

Homerj24

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 216 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

Razzball's initial projects are 14-10/3.55/1.14/165, but Grey admits that it's a complete guess. He didn't give an innings total, but I would guess that it would be somewhere around 175-185 innings.

#5 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:06 AM

In that Division i feel like every player is rosterable. Shoot, if Ted Lilly can be a stud for some time last year so can this guy. Pitching at Petco and in SF in super pitching parks will be nice. None of those lineups are crazy offensively either. I actually really like those Razzball projections.

Edited by Theoneupper, 11 December 2012 - 05:07 AM.

#6 WahooManiac

WahooManiac

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:Beating everyone

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:06 AM

Before we all pile on the speculation train, is there any real info on a rough equivalency from his previous league to the mlb? I remember hearing the cuban league is roughly AA ball, which admittedly didn't do any justice predicting cespedes, but is there a general rule of thumb to go by here? Just curious, as I know absolutely nothin bout this guy
Good pitching will beat good hitting anytime, and vice versa.  -Bob Veale

We're reaching the pt where you can be a truly dedicated, state-of-the-art fan or you can have a life.  Take your pick.  -Thomas Boswell

#7 Thespis721

Thespis721

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 3,333 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:42 AM

I'd have to do more research on this guy to get something more valuable on him, but my initial impression is that he's definitely rosterable and draftable since he doesn't have the hype that players like Yu Darvish have (not that I expect Darvish expectation numbers) so he could end up to your late-mid to late rounds, and at that point, I'd snatch him up.
C: McCann
1B: Victor Martinez
2B: Dustin Ackley
3B: Kyle Seager
SS: Alexei Ramirez
CI: Anthony Rendon
MI: Jed Lowrie
OF: Justin Upton, Matt Kemp, Alex Gordon, De Aza
UT: Chase Headley
DL: Fowler, Lind
SP: Scherzer, Kazmir, Alex Wood, Lincecum, Gallardo

#8 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 10:39 AM

View PostTheoneupper, on 11 December 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

In that Division i feel like every player is rosterable. Shoot, if Ted Lilly can be a stud for some time last year so can this guy. Pitching at Petco and in SF in super pitching parks will be nice. None of those lineups are crazy offensively either. I actually really like those Razzball projections.

Ted Lilly was a lot better before he moved to the NL West.  Granted that has more to do with age and injury.... but you make it seem like Lilly was a garbage pitcher who became useful when he moved to the NL West, when it's pretty much the opposite.

Football 2013: Rotoworld Championship League Group A: Most Points, missed playoffs.

#9 Theoneupper

Theoneupper

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,721 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 04:44 PM

View Postbrockpapersizer, on 11 December 2012 - 10:39 AM, said:

View PostTheoneupper, on 11 December 2012 - 05:06 AM, said:

Ted Lilly was a lot better before he moved to the NL West.  Granted that has more to do with age and injury.... but you make it seem like Lilly was a garbage pitcher who became useful when he moved to the NL West, when it's pretty much the opposite.
Hes an OK pitcher, but him and Capuano came out of nowhere because of that schedule and league. Especially after the season Lilly had the year before last, but he was injured for most of the season anyways so i guess it doesnt even matter.

Anyways, he'll be wildly overpriced in my league, but he could be a good pickup late in many leagues.

#10 brockpapersizer

brockpapersizer

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,258 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 05:49 PM

I get what you're saying and I agree, just thought you could have used a better example.  Dodgers should get quite a few more wins this year too. They only had Adrian for like 1/3 of the season and Kemp was largely hurt for the first half.

#11 damana

damana

Allstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 07:07 PM

I agree that this guy has some nice parks to pitch in in the NL West and should have some run support. However, you are basically paying for a complete unknown on draft day.  The Dodgers see something in him to give him all that money, but it seems like they are just handing out contracts these days. With the abundance of pitching in my league on draft day, I'm just not willing to spend more than a few bucks on this guy.  That being said, I think all of these facts will scare off other owners and if you get him for cheap, I think you will have a solid pitcher.
4X4 AL East and NL only Keeper auction league (Keep 10)

C. Davis ($25)(3 years)
D. Murphy ($6)(3 years)
B. Harper ($17)(2 years)
E. Cabrera ($4)(3 years)
X. Boegaerts (3rd base eligible only)($6)(4 years)
A. Jones ($27)(1 year)
K. Jensen ($8)(3 years)
M. Minor ($7)(3 years)
A. Cobb ($9)(3 years)
A. Cashner ($6)(3 years)

#12 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 11 December 2012 - 09:20 PM

He was a stud for Korea at the WBC. I was more impressed watching him pitch than DiceK or Darvish.

Edited by Zumayaaaa, 11 December 2012 - 09:21 PM.

#13 2ndCitySox

2ndCitySox

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,485 posts

Posted 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM

So....what the hell does everyone think of this guy? I don't even know what to think or even a ballpark figure for projecting him.

Rotochamp says: 160IP, 10 W, 4.05/1.33 with 139 k

Edited by 2ndCitySox, 23 January 2013 - 10:11 PM.

All-Icon Team:
C- Carlton Fisk
1B- Frank Thomas
2B- Ryne Sandberg
SS- Ozzie Smith
3B- Wade Boggs
CF- Rickey
LF- Kirk Gibson
RF- Chili Davis
DH- Eddie Murray

SP- Nolan Ryan
SP- Orel Herschiser
SP- Greg Maddux
SP- Roger Clemens
SP- BlackJack McDowell

RP- Eck

#14 Stickfig13

Stickfig13

On the Ballot

• Established Members
  • 4,053 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 05:27 PM

View Post2ndCitySox, on 23 January 2013 - 10:10 PM, said:

So....what the hell does everyone think of this guy? I don't even know what to think or even a ballpark figure for projecting him.

Rotochamp says: 160IP, 10 W, 4.05/1.33 with 139 k

FAT

#15 aarbuz

aarbuz

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:baseball

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:55 PM

I am hoping he will be buried in the rotation and will be a "sleeper".  I know he is not a sleeper but if he faces other teams 4th and 5th starters I see a lot of success.

#16 Halo Fan

Halo Fan

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 5,815 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 02:57 PM

View Postaarbuz, on 28 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

I am hoping he will be buried in the rotation and will be a "sleeper".  I know he is not a sleeper but if he faces other teams 4th and 5th starters I see a lot of success.

You do understand that rotations and schedules from one team to another do not always match up that way. If he was the #4 or #5 to start the season, and the Dodgers had a 3-game series followed by a day off, he could conceivably start against another team's #1 in his very first matchup. Or, a the #5, he could potentially get skipped for the first few weeks.

Edited by Halo Fan, 28 January 2013 - 03:01 PM.

"Only boring people find baseball boring." ~ Peter Golenboch

"...the knowledge of the game is usually in inverse proportion to the price of the seats." ~ Bill Veeck

"The last time Willie Mays dropped a pop fly he had a rattle in one hand and a bonnet on his head." ~ Jim Murray

"If my uniform doesn't get dirty, I haven't done anything in the baseball game." ~ Rickey Henderson

"The difference between the old ballplayer and the new ballplayer is the jersey. The old ballplayer cared about the name on the front. The new ballplayer cares about the name on the back." ~ Steve Garvey

"If a tie is like kissing your sister, losing is like kissing your grandmother with her teeth out." ~ George Brett

"People ask me what I do in winter when there's no baseball. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for spring." ~ Rogers Hornsby

"Winning depends on where you put your priorities. It's usually best to put them over the fence." ~ Jason Giambi

#17 RespectMyAuthority

RespectMyAuthority

Superstar

• Established Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,156 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 04:13 PM

One of the hardest players to scout this year, very few guys have come from Korea and played right away, so it's hard to get a feel for how his stats will translate.  He's been filthy the last 3 years with a combined line of 2.51 ERA / 1.06 WHIP / 9.42 K/9, but again is this even against AA quality?  Worse?  Better?

Favorable situation, good pitchers park with 2 other extreme pitchers parks in the division; good lineup, and he's left handed with a great change up.  He pitched in the 2009 WBC, albeit as a 21-year old reliever, gave up 2 runs over 7 and record a win and 7 k's in a Silver Medal performance by the South Korean squad.  Pitched on the Gold Medal winning team at the 2008 Beijing Olympics, going 2-0 in 2 starts with 13k's in 17.1ip (nearly 2 complete games).

I see him being somewhat of a "Crafty Lefty", should be around 90 mph with his fastball; his K/9 won't be near 9 in the Majors, but his Walks should be in the low 2's per 9, so if he can keep the K/9 up around 7.5 his Command will still be up around 3.0 or more.

#18 aarbuz

aarbuz

Triple-A

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 68 posts
  • Interests:baseball

Posted 29 January 2013 - 06:31 AM

View PostHalo Fan, on 28 January 2013 - 02:57 PM, said:

View Postaarbuz, on 28 January 2013 - 01:55 PM, said:

You do understand that rotations and schedules from one team to another do not always match up that way. If he was the #4 or #5 to start the season, and the Dodgers had a 3-game series followed by a day off, he could conceivably start against another team's #1 in his very first matchup. Or, a the #5, he could potentially get skipped for the first few weeks.

Yes I do understand that but what I was trying to say he will be buried in the rotation and I see a Wei-Yen Chen type of season with maybe some more strikeouts....

#19 Zumayaaaa

Zumayaaaa

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 6,695 posts

Posted 29 January 2013 - 09:04 AM

I was impressed the time I saw him pitch, but I did read that he might begin in the minors, that Dodgers staff is pretty full right now.

#20 klove42

klove42

Hall of Famer

• Established Members
  • 7,559 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 04:46 PM

Seems like no one is talking about this guy, and he might have some value this year. I have heard good things and as Zumaya has mentioned he has looked good in international competition. I might be tartgeting him heavily for this year, but I still dont really know much about him.

I mean, who wouldnt want to have this guy on their team

Posted Image

Edited by The Harsh, 11 February 2013 - 05:00 PM.
To embed images, select the "Image" function and enter the URL.

No Days Off

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users